New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

I like not having the corners filled, gives the stadium an 'us and them' feeling when the hibs or old firm come visiting.

(Would still like us to reduce old firm allocation though)

31 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Maybe it's just me but, I'm not sure the best way to illustrate us being able to fill in the corners, is to post pictures of a stadium that doesn't have filled in corners. 

You must have missed the bits in the corners that are filled in with corporate boxes and my explanation of it being a possible solution in the tight for space corner between the Gorgie stand and the Main stand...

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Right I’m just going to toss this in there, despite the amount of posts suggesting it’s impossible due to engineering reasons:

I 100% think we could remove the floodlight stanchions and the roof not cave in. It’s not physics prohibiting this Mountain to Muhammed miracle, but cost.

Surely all you would have to do is cantilever the stands sufficiently beforehand, then build four separate corner stands?

*tin hat on*

Everyone already knows it's technically possible to do, but not feasible from a cost perspective! It's been done to death about a million times!

Just now, FarmerTweedy said:

Everyone already knows it's technically possible to do, but not feasible from a cost perspective! It's been done to death about a million times!

Fair enough. I must have missed those posts. 👍

Phil D. Corners
1 hour ago, farin said:

We’ll struggle to sell out most games this season tbh. We’d prob need to play at murrayfield again for renovations of this magnitude to even begin. Taking off roofs & trusses is a major undertaking never mind the prohibitive costs. It just won’t happen I’m afraid. 

We would need to regularly sell out Cat B games and reduce OF allocation before we worry about further expansion. 

But I believe more then ever that this club is growing and anything is possible. 

1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

You must have missed the bits in the corners that are filled in with corporate boxes and my explanation of it being a possible solution in the tight for space corner between the Gorgie stand and the Main stand...

No, I got you. It's just that when people talk about corners being filled in, the general idea is normally we have seated areas going around the stadium. And while it looks very nice, and I'd be happy with that (I'm not even bothered about the corners to be fair), it's not what I'd call a great example of how people can get what they want. Basically, if you asked someone to picture in their mind a stadium with the corners filled in, that isn't it. 

Engineering wise and structurally, it might be an absolute bang on way to get round the problem. I'm just saying as a way to illustrate it, having a stadium with the same closed off ends as we already have isn't the best way to show how it's achievable. 

All in my humble opinion, of course. 

2 hours ago, leginten said:

Still a thing of absolute beauty. 

It's an absolute affront to architecture and design. Hideous in the extreme, makes Fester Road look good. 

10 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

It's an absolute affront to architecture and design. Hideous in the extreme, makes Fester Road look good. 

C'mon, that's a tad extreme!  At least it looks uniform and none of the stands have bits shaved off them.  And it's not green!!

4 hours ago, kila said:

The new stand could've been built with a cantilever roof (one of the early drawings showed just that) but they opted for a truss to complete the look instead.

I'd rather flatten Tynecastle and start again (after acquiring the distillery land)  than spend lots on new roof designs to fill in the corners (which will be restricted around the Gorgie corner anyway due to the flat proximity).

And all for the knock down price of £40m.....

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

And all for the knock down price of £40m.....

Are we not fast approaching that price for the new stand anyway?

::troll::

Just now, RobNox said:

Are we not fast approaching that price for the new stand anyway?

::troll::

Indeed - what’s another £22m between friends...

Hectormasson
13 hours ago, bn jambo said:

I like not having the corners filled, gives the stadium an 'us and them' feeling when the hibs or old firm come visiting.

(Would still like us to reduce old firm allocation though)

Yes ,to 1100,and f....k what the loss is in cash,at least it will feel like were at home against them !

18 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Right I’m just going to toss this in there, despite the amount of posts suggesting it’s impossible due to engineering reasons:

I 100% think we could remove the floodlight stanchions and the roof not cave in. It’s not physics prohibiting this Mountain to Muhammed miracle, but cost.

Surely all you would have to do is cantilever the stands sufficiently beforehand, then build four separate corner stands?

*tin hat on*

Real Sociedad | Estadio Anoeta in San Sabastian built a giant truss that was lifted and attached to the current roof structure on the two main (pitch length) stands.

18 hours ago, davemclaren said:

No photo?

Dave I've been having bother trying to post pics since the update 

Comes up error 202 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Dave I've been having bother trying to post pics since the update 

Comes up error 202 

The photo is too big. Need to make it smaller. 

20 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

*tin hat on*

🙈

21 hours ago, brownkg said:

I saw the castle from the Skyline lounge on Wednesday!

Top of the flag pole?

40 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Hopefully this works 

6272019111544.jpg

Good work Kimo, however if they cut the hedge down, you would have got a better view/picture of the castle:thumbsup:

Phil D. Corners
1 hour ago, farin said:

We could always just board up behind the floodlight pylons relatively cheaply for that filled in effect.

For the reasons I’ve already described, forget all about taking off roofs etc because that just isn’t going to happen bud. We’ve far more important things to concentrate & spend money on at the moment like having a successful team in the pitch. 

Yes, we need to spend money on Jumbotrons first. :yas:

More people attending would bring in more money for a successful team on the pitch. A successful team on the pitch would bring in more people attending. 

Currently I think Hearts are halfway through the first sentence, and I believe both sentences will be complete in time. 

13 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Good work Kimo, however if they cut the hedge down, you would have got a better view/picture of the castle:thumbsup:

Has the castle no got a green turret 🙄 FFS 

1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

Has the castle no got a green turret 🙄 FFS 

Come on Kimo, green on Edinburgh Castle, no thanks!

It was bad enough when EEN were campaigning last year (?) to have it highlighted with green floodlights on the premise of supporting the environment .

10 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Come on Kimo, green on Edinburgh Castle, no thanks!

It was bad enough when EEN were campaigning last year (?) to have it highlighted with green floodlights on the premise of supporting the environment .

Ha i know 🙄

There is significant space behind those green hedge dividers and talk off a possible barbecue area in the future 

4 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Right there behind the hedge 

Screenshot_20190727-124721_Gallery.jpg

Ah sorry, I thought you were talking about a different castle a little bit further away.

18 hours ago, SUTOL said:

I've thought for a while that if we were to fill the corners in then one way to do it where we are tight for space i.e. Gorgie-Main stand corner, would be similar to the Stadio Luigi Ferraris in Genoa. 

Basically building up on the police control room to meet up with the roof trusses and use it as a load bearing structure thereby removing the pylon. Making several floors of private boxes and small lounges. 

thumb2-stadio-luigi-ferraris-4k-marassi-

Luigi-Ferraris.jpg

We probably don't need the floorspace for lounges/boxes though so probably not worth considering now. 

I like the idea of having 4 distinct stands. I wonder if the corners could be converted like that but into more hospitality rooms? Function suits etc. rather than just being dead space 

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I like the idea of having 4 distinct stands. I wonder if the corners could be converted like that but into more hospitality rooms? Function suits etc. rather than just being dead space 

One problem with that idea (I first thought about it before the new main stand) is that we now have plenty of hospitality space. Though if there was a demand for 'boxes' then it could work. 

17 hours ago, RobNox said:

C'mon, that's a tad extreme!  At least it looks uniform and none of the stands have bits shaved off them.  And it's not green!!

Yeah fairy muff, at least its finished without any massive ****ing gaps in it. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
19 minutes ago, kila said:

I liked the wee smile on Ann's face when she confirmed the club is looking to sign midfield players. Am I being over optimistic to think it was an 'in-the-know-but-I'm-not-saying-anything-the-noo' type smile that might suggest it's a bit more than just a midfield player, as in a bit special (compared to recently at Hearts) kind of midfield player?

Immensely proud watching that video.

We’ve came such a long way and as Ann said, everything is now in place for us to push on.

13 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Heard a few people mention a warm up area for players. Anybody seen any pictures or film of it?

I will guess its area behind the telly where the fridges are. 

50 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I liked the wee smile on Ann's face when she confirmed the club is looking to sign midfield players. Am I being over optimistic to think it was an 'in-the-know-but-I'm-not-saying-anything-the-noo' type smile that might suggest it's a bit more than just a midfield player, as in a bit special (compared to recently at Hearts) kind of midfield player?

I'm hopeful it was a smile that indicated that and that we are going to announce it today.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
29 minutes ago, Texia said:

I'm hopeful it was a smile that indicated that and that we are going to announce it today.

It certainly appeared to be a happy smile that suggested she was happy that progress was being made on that front. It certainly wasn't a smile that suggested she wasn't happy with the progress or uncomfortable with the question. In fact, she looked like she had a great birthday present for someone but wasn't going to let them know what it was until their birthday. Hopefully today's that someone's birthday 👍

That dressing room area looks fantastic. No player could see our facilities and not feel he's made the right choice to be there.

Great little video.

I wasn't sold on the new stand from a supporter perspective when I first went to it but the back of the stand and the dressing rooms etc look absolutely fantastic. What a place and facilities for the players, it must be a huge selling point for us.

Excellent, really brilliant.

Great little video.

I wasn't sold on the new stand from a supporter perspective when I first went to it but the back of the stand and the dressing rooms etc look absolutely fantastic. What a place and facilities for the players, it must be a huge selling point for us.

Excellent, really brilliant.

2 hours ago, Whatever said:

Immensely proud watching that video.

We’ve came such a long way and as Ann said, everything is now in place for us to push on.

Absolutely.  Understand some fans frustration around the on-field product but we've taken some short term pain to get to this stage.  We're ready to push on and i'm so proud when I look at what's been achieved in such a short period of time.

3 hours ago, kila said:

Thanks for posting, interesting to see inside the new stand, or some of it.  Manager’s door not “always open” though!  Is the “tiled retro badge” near the start new or is it the one from the old stand, possibly refurbished?  I seem to recall seeing on here pictures of the old one covered up to retain it for inclusion in the new stand?

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Heard a few people mention a warm up area for players. Anybody seen any pictures or film of it?

th.jpeg

Instead of actually filling in the corners how about boarding up the pylons and cover them with crowd pictures like Hamilton have behind their goal, job done and it won't cost millions.😉