New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

john brownlee

Hi Jonno, i was a Wheatfield Placer from 1957-1979 some lads from Mcleod St used to come round and join in the footie with us in Wheatfield St there were a set of goals painted on the old brewery wall next to Gerards yard the other set were usually jerseys half way up the street. Derek O'Connor lived a couple of stairs along from me he was a couple of years older than me but he used to play there as well. Great times. Cos i was such a short arse i got shoved in goals quite a lot but i think the bar was only four feet high but i ended up with the nickname Lev no doubt after the Russian goalkeeper of that time.

around the same time, my granny lived in Wheatfield place and Windows over looked Gerrad's yard. My aunt and uncle lived in the Tynecastle buildings. And we used to go to them weekend about. I do recall playing football in the shale park at the main stand.

Surrounded by trees. It always seemed to be wet and muddy. Forever getting rows for being clarty.

So maybe I was in one of the thirteen a side games that were played then. Distant memories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Francis Albert

Cheers for the pics. I take it that one is of the upstairs part of the building? With the windows on the lhs of the pic being those that face out onto the car park?

Amazing to think that the custodians of the club could **** up a revenue source in the way they seemingly did. It's like us building this new stand and not being able to make a profit on the beer we sell there...mental!!

How badly was the club being run when we had to sell this off to the council?

The Ace of Clubs, which was the drinking den downstairs, was packed for two hours before and two hours after games about once a fortnight. You are never going to make much money on that sort of traffic. The key for the new stand will be how much of the facilities are used on non-match days.

Thats how I recall it as well. When it was 2/- to get in the Terracing it was dearer to get in the enclosure and a whole 5/- for the wing stand and 7/6d for the centre stand so you had to be a toff to afford it. No boys gate for the stand either, so used to love going to the reserve games as the stand was cheap to get in then.

My earliest memories are getting introduced to the Hearts through going to reserve matches. Most of the first team used to turn up and watch the reserves and just sat with their pals and other supporters. After about a season I was allowed to go to the first team games and always thought how great it would be to sit in the stand for a big match instead of being crushed on the terracing with 30000 others more if a Derby or OF match.

Floodlight matches with the glow of light coming from the main stand with folk lighting up their pipes and fags. The Edinburgh City brass band that used to seem to play exclusively for people in the Stand and enclosure. The stamping of feet when the game was exciting. The wee drinking fountain with the metal cups at both ends of the stand.

As time passed and our crowds dwindled to a few thousand diehards I watched most matches from the main stand. I must admit we had gone so far down I thought we were going under . The old lady has seen the best of times and the worst of times from Championships to relegation to Championships again . She has hosted some of the top teams in world football and some great players and some great matches. If that old corrugated,asbestos ridden,heap of junk could talk she would have some story to tell. Tears will be shed when the time comes and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Excellent post.

The Ace of Clubs, which was the drinking den downstairs, was packed for two hours before and two hours after games about once a fortnight. You are never going to make much money on that sort of traffic. The key for the new stand will be how much of the facilities are used on non-match days.

I hear ye FA, but the potential must've been there or they wouldn't have built them in the first place naw? Surely the figures must've stacked up before they considered such a venture?

As you say though, there needs to be a real push to ensure our new facilities are used on non match days. Itll be interesting to see how we market these facilities.

Does anyone have any photo's of what the area behind the main stand looked like before the Ace of Hearts club was built in the 1960s?

No photos.

From memory. A patch of green grass that may have been a bowling Green and a broken railed fence.

No photos.

From memory. A patch of green grass that may have been a bowling Green and a broken railed fence.

Old maps show a bowling green there. This photo (from 1962) it is hard to tell if it is still there:

c2b7193c5d.jpg

It's going be exciting seeing it all develop, especially in the build up to our first home game with it. Throw in a tunnel and dugout and this could be not far off what the completed Tynecastle will be like:

b578ed3a07.png

Gonna look and sound stunning, as long as the atmosphere vastly improves from recent games! Think the problem is not enough people grouped together singing.

Thats how I recall it as well. When it was 2/- to get in the Terracing it was dearer to get in the enclosure and a whole 5/- for the wing stand and 7/6d for the centre stand so you had to be a toff to afford it. No boys gate for the stand either, so used to love going to the reserve games as the stand was cheap to get in then.

My earliest memories are getting introduced to the Hearts through going to reserve matches. Most of the first team used to turn up and watch the reserves and just sat with their pals and other supporters. After about a season I was allowed to go to the first team games and always thought how great it would be to sit in the stand for a big match instead of being crushed on the terracing with 30000 others more if a Derby or OF match.

Floodlight matches with the glow of light coming from the main stand with folk lighting up their pipes and fags. The Edinburgh City brass band that used to seem to play exclusively for people in the Stand and enclosure. The stamping of feet when the game was exciting. The wee drinking fountain with the metal cups at both ends of the stand.

As time passed and our crowds dwindled to a few thousand diehards I watched most matches from the main stand. I must admit we had gone so far down I thought we were going under . The old lady has seen the best of times and the worst of times from Championships to relegation to Championships again . She has hosted some of the top teams in world football and some great players and some great matches. If that old corrugated,asbestos ridden,heap of junk could talk she would have some story to tell. Tears will be shed when the time comes and I am not ashamed to admit it.

brilliant post mate....will miss the rousing stamp from the old lady when the JTs are lifting the crowd on the park or it's the Hearts song prior to a Derby or other big match...HHGH

If I remember correctly there were 3 clubs. The Ace of Hearts was where the shop is and above that was The Roseberry.

Then there was The Midlothian right behind the old stand.

As you say I think there was some shenanigans that led them having to be sold. I think it was just another aspect of the football club that was badly managed at the time.

There were some household acts who performed there including Billy Fury, Les Dawson, Roy Walker etc. It was a popular and busy place.

It sure was,with Andy Green the compere.

Francis Albert

I hear ye FA, but the potential must've been there or they wouldn't have built them in the first place naw? Surely the figures must've stacked up before they considered such a venture?

As you say though, there needs to be a real push to ensure our new facilities are used on non match days. Itll be interesting to see how we market these facilities.

There was a bit of a fashion for clubs in the 60s, in face of declining crowds, to diversify into other revenue streams like bars and clubs. Not many of them prospered. Sounds like ours wasn't helped by some financial irregularities.

I am sure Ann has done her homework.

I am not so convinced those running Hearts back then knew what they were doing (not just when it came to the social club either!)

Edited by Francis Albert

It was the Ace of Hearts and it was a club which was open 7 days a week and was very popular at weekends with cabaret, bingo etc. I saw Billy Connolly and Gerry Rafferty there and, for my sins, Sydney Devine. Friday night was busy with parties of single men and women whilst Saturday was mainly couples. Sunday was a mixed night with top cabaret and dancing to a live band. Upstairs was the Rosebery Suite and it was a bit upmarket serving good quality meals, at least when it first opened. The whole thing was run by a guy called Andy Green who, allegedly, was caught with his fingers in the till. The whole project collapsed after he left and closed quite quickly thereafter. This was in the sixties and early seventies when clubs were very popular and it is debatable if this kind of facility would survive nowadays.

That was down on the other side past the old flats near the new Prison Warders Club.

Thanks for that. I just seemed to remember

there being a 'steamie' in the area.

The Treasurer

Old maps show a bowling green there. This photo (from 1962) it is hard to tell if it is still there:

c2b7193c5d.jpg

This picture shows how much things have changed in Gorgie, and not just the ground.

I'm sure a few of the "young uns" would struggle to recognise this as Tynecastle 

Thanks for that. I just seemed to remember

there being a 'steamie' in the area.

i remember getting taken there on a school day out and greetin ma eyes oot because I couldn't go and see the stadium instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither. Reading the earlier posts, if correct, then it sounds to me as if the club are going down a Construction Management, i.e. separate trades contracts procurement route, which only works if the right person or organisation is appointed as Construction Manager, in my experience.

This is correct.  The appointment of a good Project Manager is essential, however unlike other contracts where everybody is in it to try to make a buck, in this instance the Companies carrying out the steelwork, concrete, glazing, etc, are pretty much all run by 'good Jambos' - this makes a huge difference as everybody will work together to bring this project through on time and on budget, and to the quality we all want.

My first memory of going to a game at Tynecastle (and in the main stand), was the noise!

It was mid/late 70's and although my Dad is a closet hibby, he finally agreed to take me to a game. It was my first Derby match.

I've no idea the score (I must ask him), but we were rotten at the time so it probably wasn't great.

I remember being stunned at firstly the language, I didn't know what it meant, but I knew it wasn't good! And secondly the stamping of feet, and the way the sound built up -it seemed deafening to a wee laddie.

Happy memories. The smell of the brewery, the pies, the throng of people - I'd never seen so many in one place before.

It was love at first sight, & I knew I wanted to be there every week.

It's a knackered old stand & should have been replaced 50 years ago, but she'll always bring back a smile.

Goodbye old girl.

The club appointed James Clydesdale to design the new stand as he did the previous 3. I assumed the club would then appoint a MC to carry out the build. Like I said, I'd find it strange if they didn't, however, I can only base that on my previous experience.

I thought you said you had been told we were going the MC route by someone at the Club?

Nucky Thompson

This picture shows how much things have changed in Gorgie, and not just the ground.

I'm sure a few of the "young uns" would struggle to recognise this as Tynecastle 

I don't think Gorgie has changed at all. Still all the same tenements except a couple on McLeod street. The old school and distillery are much the same.

Edited by Nucky Thompson

D&B, in my experience, is where a client will ask 3 parties to come up with a design for, let's say a school, and a cost to build it. This is done speculatively by those asked to tender. They will then go and source an architect and various consultants to pull it all together and then provide the aforementioned design and cost. The client will then decide who to appoint based on design and best value. This is how the new Kilmarnock College was procured.

A traditional build is where the client directly employs the architect and consultants to deliver a design. They will then ask, usually between 3-5, main contractors to tender for the works and will appoint who is usually the cheapest. Edinburgh Council are finding out to their detriment that wasn't a good decision to employ the cheapest contractor on Boroughmuir High.

Almost every project my company is involved in we are sub-contracted to the main contractor.

A pretty accurate summation of these types of contract.

Your comment on Boroughmuir is exactly why the Club do not favour going down the MC route.  MC's have a record of tendering at a low price, then once in contract, everything is an extra.

It would be normal to have a MC managing all the subcontract packages, however you must remember this a special project.  The Club are gathering very able professionals and subcontractors around them, who have HMFC best interests at Heart, and that makes a huge difference to the normal dispute ridden and acrimonious construction industry.

August Landmesser

Wasn't it the Midlothian club that changed its name into the Centenary Club in 74 ?.

b6aeb8b249e589e8c67aaaae42c2baff.jpg

Here's an idea of the entertainment on the go back then. [emoji1]

06af413456ba377663959e02596cc30e.jpg

I do enjoy a good 'coloured singer' of a Wednesday night... :uhoh2:

This is correct.  The appointment of a good Project Manager is essential, however unlike other contracts where everybody is in it to try to make a buck, in this instance the Companies carrying out the steelwork, concrete, glazing, etc, are pretty much all run by 'good Jambos' - this makes a huge difference as everybody will work together to bring this project through on time and on budget, and to the quality we all want.

Sounds good to me. Does any know who the name of the project or construction manager's organisation?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I remember the Black and White Minstrels well, Saturday Night Special type cabaret programmes, oh how the world has changed.

The People's Chimp

Hi Jonno, i was a Wheatfield Placer from 1957-1979 some lads from Mcleod St used to come round and join in the footie with us in Wheatfield St there were a set of goals painted on the old brewery wall next to Gerards yard the other set were usually jerseys half way up the street. Derek O'Connor lived a couple of stairs along from me he was a couple of years older than me but he used to play there as well. Great times. Cos i was such a short arse i got shoved in goals quite a lot but i think the bar was only four feet high but i ended up with the nickname Lev no doubt after the Russian goalkeeper of that time.

My dad used to play in the same goals in the 50s and 60s. 

Old maps show a bowling green there. This photo (from 1962) it is hard to tell if it is still there:Thanks for that photo.I first went in 1964 and that brings back many fond memories of the Tynecastle Park I grew up with.

c2b7193c5d.jpg

Wasn't it the Midlothian club that changed its name into the Centenary Club in 74 ?.

b6aeb8b249e589e8c67aaaae42c2baff.jpg

Here's an idea of the entertainment on the go back then. [emoji1]

06af413456ba377663959e02596cc30e.jpg

Phoenix club for the disabled? A prediction better than anything The Simpsons could come up with!!

phoenix_nights_brian_wheelchair.jpg

Fxxx the SPFL

:rofl:

Lev the young git

Happy days indeed.

We used to play on the shale in the rain snow and ice.

None of this poncing about back then.

Balaclava on to keep my lugs warm obviously played there round about the same time John.

c2b7193c5d.jpg

Must have been a cold one that day.The enclosure hasn't got any snow.How many times have we stood on the old terracings with frozen feet and a pie and bovril in our hands(the pies were good and didn't stick to foil or is that the old mind playing tricks ha ha)

Luv seeing auld photaes of Tynie, makes me feel awe fuzzy and warm.....................is that wrong!!!!!!!!

No it keeps guys like me alive and remembering our youth

Son Of Anarchy

Some fantastic memories in the old stand. None better than being in line watching Austin McCann's screamer hit the top corner. Great days but the new era is upon us. Will be sad to see her go but that's insignificant in comparison to how excited I am about the new stand and the future for Heart of Midlothian FC.

August Landmesser

Wonder what Neville Taylor's act was ?.

Just standing there being 'coloured' I assume, there was no greater draw back then...

Meanwhile Greenginger has stuck his niagras in a blender and switched it on.

He's trying hard though.

greenginger 04:12 PM Today

Originally Posted by Deansy:

'Credit to City of Edinburgh Council for approving the plans so quickly. They did very well on that front'

What, the council bending-over for their sex-offender employing, other people's-money using chums in the PBS - Shock-horror !!

Only problem , very little has actually been approved by the Council.

The planning permission for the new stand won't be issued until North British Distillers complete the safety improvements. This work is awaiting planning permission, ( application ref 16/04554 ) . The application page contains a letter from the HSE saying it will take a minimum of 13 weeks to assess the proposals and give their opinions to our Council. Then NB Distillers will apply for a building warrant, then they will get contractors to price the work.

After it has been completed to eveyone's satisfaction, planning permission will be issued.

As for the work under the Wheatfield Stand, its well ahead, but there has been no Building Warrant issued for this work.

highlandjambo3

WE ARE THE HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN..............................and the hobbits?......................

well............. they can just go pap shite at the moon... :2thumbsup:

He's trying hard though.

'Credit to City of Edinburgh Council for approving the plans so quickly. They did very well on that front'

What, the council bending-over for their sex-offender employing, other people's-money using chums in the PBS - Shock-horror !!

The planning permission for the new stand won't be issued until North British Distillers complete the safety improvements. This work is awaiting planning permission, ( application ref 16/04554 ) . The application page contains a letter from the HSE saying it will take a minimum of 13 weeks to assess the proposals and give their opinions to our Council. Then NB Distillers will apply for a building warrant, then they will get contractors to price the work.

After it has been completed to eveyone's satisfaction, planning permission will be issued.

As for the work under the Wheatfield Stand, its well ahead, but there has been no Building Warrant issued for this work.

What a crock of shite.

He's trying hard though.

If ever there was a geezer in complete denial it's him!

First, we were never going to raise the money, then the council wouldn't give planning permission. Finally, the Chris Graham Group were going to stop the whole endeavour or at least hold out for a King's Ransom.

This is just his latest comfort blanket before he goes back to emailing Sandy Bryson about Danny Wilson's "suspension".

The rest of them over there must think he's Sir Gay's love child!

scott herbertson

Here's Nev

NevilleTaylorSinger.jpg

Apparently he was famous for his version of 'Cigarettes and Whiskey and Wild Wild Women' - My grandad had a 78 of that way back in the 60s but I'm not sure if it was Neville's version - a cracking song

Cigarettes, whiskey and wild wild women     They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane;     Cigarettes, whiskey and wild wild women     They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane;Once I was happy and had a good wifeI had enough money to last me for lifeThen I met with a gal and we went on a spreeShe taught me smokin' and drinkin' whiskee  (CHORUS)Cigarettes are a blight on the whole human raceA man is a monkey with one in his face;Take warning dear friend, take warning dear brotherA fire's on one end, a fools on the t'other.  (CHORUS)And now good people, I'm broken with ageThe lines on my face make a well written pageI'm weavin' this story -- how sadly but trueOn women and whiskey and what they can do (CHORUS)Write on the cross at the head of my graveFor women and whiskey here lies a poor slave.Take warnin' poor stranger, take warnin' dear friendIn wide clear letters this tale of my end. (CHORUS)
Edited by scott herbertson

stirlingshirejambo

Is the new Boroughmuit High D&B? No. Is Edinburgh Cooncil looking after the build in conjunction with a project manager? No.

Have they employed O'Hare McGovern to build the school? Aye.

That simple? No?

Is that the Boroughmuir school building project that has had numerous delays in building with every excuse under the sun offered?

Balaclava :facepalm:

I had one as well.....

It's funny how a thread like this can bring back so many great memories.

In fact it's brilliant.

Granny knitted me one in mustard coloured wool. Itched like buggery. Refused to wear it until getting the obligatory clip rounder the lug as I hated the colour. Got to school and everyone had a mustard coloured balaclava. It must have been the cheap wool that week