New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

So the other posters who you said were spouting "utter nonsense" and have "probably never wired more than a plug in yer puff" were probably right?

nope.

We were actually debating your post as you were slavering a load of tom kite.

Edited by mars plastic

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm really excited to see the new stand finished. My first ever Hearts game was 1985-86 season against Aberdeen and we won with a late Levein header. I was sitting in the main stand as a little boy. I will miss it too but a new chapter is coming...

Going to be pedantic :) Was sitting in my grannies that night, I thought we scored early. One of them funny lingering memories from childhood

When I was a bairn me and my mates always thought that anyone that sat in the main stand was, well, a bit posh!!

On the odd occasion one of the boys said he was sittin in the main stand, it would always be met with a raised eyebrow and an "aye?". Always thought the main stand had a classier type of person than us scum in the shed lol.

Thats how I recall it as well. When it was 2/- to get in the Terracing it was dearer to get in the enclosure and a whole 5/- for the wing stand and 7/6d for the centre stand so you had to be a toff to afford it. No boys gate for the stand either, so used to love going to the reserve games as the stand was cheap to get in then.

My earliest memories are getting introduced to the Hearts through going to reserve matches. Most of the first team used to turn up and watch the reserves and just sat with their pals and other supporters. After about a season I was allowed to go to the first team games and always thought how great it would be to sit in the stand for a big match instead of being crushed on the terracing with 30000 others more if a Derby or OF match.

Floodlight matches with the glow of light coming from the main stand with folk lighting up their pipes and fags. The Edinburgh City brass band that used to seem to play exclusively for people in the Stand and enclosure. The stamping of feet when the game was exciting. The wee drinking fountain with the metal cups at both ends of the stand.

As time passed and our crowds dwindled to a few thousand diehards I watched most matches from the main stand. I must admit we had gone so far down I thought we were going under . The old lady has seen the best of times and the worst of times from Championships to relegation to Championships again . She has hosted some of the top teams in world football and some great players and some great matches. If that old corrugated,asbestos ridden,heap of junk could talk she would have some story to tell. Tears will be shed when the time comes and I am not ashamed to admit it. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm really excited to see the new stand finished. My first ever Hearts game was 1985-86 season against Aberdeen and we won with a late Levein header. I was sitting in the main stand as a little boy. I will miss it too

The report is available with a quick Google

Edited by Sir Gio

When I was a bairn me and my mates always thought that anyone that sat in the main stand was, well, a bit posh!!

On the odd occasion one of the boys said he was sittin in the main stand, it would always be met with a raised eyebrow and an "aye?". Always thought the main stand had a classier type of person than us scum in the shed lol.

To be honest most places in the world had a classier type  :toff:  :toff:  :toff:  than us scum in the shed.

Fancies himself as Francis Begbie but provides mild entertainment

Nope, I don't fancy myself as Francis Begbie or anyone else for that matter.

I am, however, 100% hibs. Well, according to your pal.

maroonlegions

Why does every thread where the news is nothing but positive end up in a bitching session?

I beggars belief. Its really does!

Trolls and undercover vermin??

Why does every thread where the news is nothing but positive end up in a bitching session?

I beggars belief. Its really does!

It doesn't really. For TWO very good reasons.

From a positive thread to a complete car crash

Only KB eh

:facepalm:

It is something that happens frequently. Maybe there is a pattern? I'm sure someone must be looking in to it to see if there is something in common every time it happens.

Ahhh right, so you must be Ronnie Barker to my Ronnie Corbett. I know my place....unlike you who tried to get a bit John Cleesy as ye got aulder :-)

Perfect analogy.

Incredibly annoying that yet another thread has been ruined by a handful of complete and utter roasters.

There's some cracking posts in here hidden amongst the shite.

WorldChampions1902

It is something that happens frequently. Maybe there is a pattern? I'm sure someone must be looking in to it to see if there is something in common every time it happens.

Rentokil required.

WorldChampions1902

Was it called "The Ace of Hearts Social Club"?

I remember at the time this was built on land owned by Hearts and it was going to raise big revenue for the Football Club.  Not sure what actually happened but there was talk of dodgy management, fingers in the till, and the place ultimately financially crashed.

The Football Club then cashed in their chips and sold the land and building to the Council for buttons I believe.

post-850-0-95398200-1479248416_thumb.jpg

zoltan socrates

The company I work for has been sub-contracted to every main contractor that you can think of. Well, apart from Brookfield Multiplex, which is mildly irritating.I've also been on enough building sites in my time to understand how a contraction project works.

If this is the way the club are doing it then I'd be vey surprised as I can't recall of any decent sized stadium re-development, or any large building project for that matter, that wouldn't have a MC on board to pull everything together. That's what they are set up for. If it was that easy, or chicken feed as somebody else said, then they wouldn't be a need for them.

I thought brookefield only used mercury? Keep the circle tight and all that, do you work in m&e or elctrical or what? Fwiw i agree without an mc, on larger projects at least, its asking for issues Edited by zoltan socrates

I remember at the time this was built on land owned by Hearts and it was going to raise big revenue for the Football Club. Not sure what actually happened but there was talk of dodgy management, fingers in the till, and the place ultimately financially crashed.

The Football Club then cashed in their chips and sold the land and building to the Council for buttons I believe.

fae9c67f7f62559bd5c129a9046e8c22.jpg

It'll be nice to see our footprint in the area growing again.

Sad day when the old girl goes but at the same time looking forward to the clubs progression, wonder if the club will take a time lapse film of the demolition and of the new stand being built that would be a great way to say farewell.

Also hope we are able to buy some of the old stand as memorable objects we can pass on to our Jambo kids and grandchildren.

I remember at the time this was built on land owned by Hearts and it was going to raise big revenue for the Football Club. Not sure what actually happened but there was talk of dodgy management, fingers in the till, and the place ultimately financially crashed.

fae9c67f7f62559bd5c129a9046e8c22.jpg

When did that place close? I've got no recollection of that wee Hearts badge being on the wall at all.

Hopefully the new stands facilities will do just that & generate a good income for the club into the bargain. [emoji4]

Hope so. We are what the area is synonymous with, and we should have the physical presence to match. It feels as though we have been pushed further in to a corner as our money problems worsened, but now we are growing again. Did we not sell off the ownership of the club's in your photo to service debt/losses?

I have enjoyed reading about the Weir derby. I was in the main stand that day. Oh, my F.G. when that 4th goal went in.

I had a mini tape recorder with me and somewhere I've got a recording of the pandemonium.

Huck the fibs.

d666616ab22c37fbe923ddc62ab17f4d.jpg

Opened in 1969 at a cost of ?200k. Strongest thing I had in it was a bottle of Coca Cola bought by my old man as I was far to young to drink. [emoji1]

Great photos.

Opened in 1969 at a cost of ?200k. Strongest thing I had in it was a bottle of Coca Cola bought by my old man as I was far to young to drink. [emoji1]

Cheers for the pics. I take it that one is of the upstairs part of the building? With the windows on the lhs of the pic being those that face out onto the car park?

Amazing to think that the custodians of the club could **** up a revenue source in the way they seemingly did. It's like us building this new stand and not being able to make a profit on the beer we sell there...mental!!

How badly was the club being run when we had to sell this off to the council?

I can't wait to see Tynecastle completed; four steep stands towering over the pitch. It will look fantastic, our spiritual home, snuggled deep in the heart of our community, our streets, our pubs and our transport, a modern stadium surrounded by oldie-worldie tenements, unlike those soulless retail park stadia on the edge of nowhere with only Homebase and Frankie and Bennys to keep them company.  

From the plans, ours seems like two buildings. One, the stand itself, taking us up to 20,000, the other part at the front, a modern steel and glass block giving us all the space and facilities we require.

A new stand, a bigger stand,  a safe stand, a smarter stand, bigger capacity, higher attendances, proper facilities and money-spinning corporate and banqueting suites.

Add to that, the world-class facilities at Riccarton and the 'sell' to players of working and living in Edinburgh, we really will have everything we need.

Reading this is like drinking Kronenbourg lager on a hot summers day.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Reading this is like drinking Kronenbourg lager on a hot summers day.

Or a nice cuppa tea and a slice of chocolate cake on a cold winters day

Aahhh bisto, bring out the Branston

Bloody he'll that brings back loads of childhood memories. My old boy was a member . He always had a couple of pints after a game. We would see players in there and that was a huge thing.

My biggest memory though was they had a display when Willie Bauld passed away. His Scotland caps and strips etc was in a, glass case. Anyway the manager woman opened the cabinets and brought out the strips so I could touch them!!!

I still remember that heavily embroidered Scotland badge with gold stitching. Had his old heavy v neck proper maroon Hearts top in my hand. Amazing to think . Wouldn't get that nowadays. A memory I'll take with me forever.

The old ground holds so many memories for so many.

Edit to say I'd have been 8 or 9.

Edited by robbo1874

jamboinglasgow

I can't wait to see Tynecastle completed; four steep stands towering over the pitch. It will look fantastic, our spiritual home, snuggled deep in the heart of our community, our streets, our pubs and our transport, a modern stadium surrounded by oldie-worldie tenements, unlike those soulless retail park stadia on the edge of nowhere with only Homebase and Frankie and Bennys to keep them company.  

From the plans, ours seems like two buildings. One, the stand itself, taking us up to 20,000, the other part at the front, a modern steel and glass block giving us all the space and facilities we require.

A new stand, a bigger stand,  a safe stand, a smarter stand, bigger capacity, higher attendances, proper facilities and money-spinning corporate and banqueting suites.

Add to that, the world-class facilities at Riccarton and the 'sell' to players of working and living in Edinburgh, we really will have everything we need.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I find mad (in a good way) that thanks to the new stand being the same (pitch side) as the others then Tynecastle will be even more enclosed, which means greater atmosphere, more intimidating for the opposition and hopefully unique. Yet behind it has everything to take us forward and bring more revenue to improve the club. I just cant wait to see it up.

Plus, the way the construction goes, with the buildings behind the main stand knocked down first before work starts building, it gives the main stand one last chance to stand proud before its incorporated into a better structure. Plus how strange will it look when they put the truss above it (which appears to be the first thing they are planning to build.

As the for main stand, I can understand if some have no love for it or fondness. It is a run down building which has not kept with the times. But the memories that place have brought will live on, my first Hearts game, I was at the front of the main stand.

I vaguely recall my dad saying that the Merchiston Hearts were looking into moving into the area of the buildings around the 1950/60's

Have to say I'm taking in every little detail of the "Grand Old Lady" as I go to my seat at our home games and whilst I'll miss it ,it's time to move on.

I hope I get the chance to buy my seat tho as it would look good in the garden .

Got to say any time I hear the words , main stand and asbestos together it's usually in a disparaging way and used by a supporter of a certain championship team , just saying ;)

Edited by 3fingersreid

Stephen Muddie

Now...... don't get me wrong........ this can only ever be seen as fantastic, so please don't take this the wrong way.

BUT............. despite wanting this new stand for as long as matters, I must confess to being a little bit sad now the the ball is finally rolling.

That old stand has been the one and only thing which has remained constant throughout my Hearts supporting life, and its going to be an emotional goodbye when it does finally come down.

Like I say, i'm in no way suggesting 'scrap the new stand, lets keep the old one' - but I do feel a whole lot more emotional at the prospect of losing the old stand than I ever thought I would.

I feel the same about that as redelopment happened not long supporting the club. I hoped the new stand would be a little bigger in capacity to stick out a bit as a main stand. Maybe it will. A mostly unused and out of sight 2nd tier or something I think I was hoping for, but happy enough and very excited looking at these photos.

It's going to be weird, it's going to be emotional. But it's going to be good.

:jjyay:

J.T.F.Robertson

Although I'm pretty much a lager guy, I seem to remember them having a decent pint of McEwan's Pale Ale.

I've no idea why that comes to mind if ever I think of The Ace of Hearts.

Great photos Farin.

That looks like The Midlothian club looking back from the dance floor/stage. The puggy machine was through the doors and back down the stairs where I used to head with my coke and a few 10ps to play the machine.

I think The Midlothian club might have closed later in the 70s as I seem to remember being there quite a lot growing up in the 70s.

So which one seems like the likely scenario here?

Neither. Reading the earlier posts, if correct, then it sounds to me as if the club are going down a Construction Management, i.e. separate trades contracts procurement route, which only works if the right person or organisation is appointed as Construction Manager, in my experience.

Fxxx the SPFL

I used to live at 10 McLeod Street, in one of the tenements that were demolished many years ago. Just up from where the new school is.

I lived there in the early to mid 1960's.

We used to play football on the shale area that was there and was replaced by the current building.

Round the perimeter there were trees and on occasions the players would have a kick about with us.

One of my abiding memories of Tynecastle and Gorgie.

Cannot wait to see the work in progress.

Hi Jonno, i was a Wheatfield Placer from 1957-1979 some lads from Mcleod St used to come round and join in the footie with us in Wheatfield St there were a set of goals painted on the old brewery wall next to Gerards yard the other set were usually jerseys half way up the street. Derek O'Connor lived a couple of stairs along from me he was a couple of years older than me but he used to play there as well. Great times. Cos i was such a short arse i got shoved in goals quite a lot but i think the bar was only four feet high but i ended up with the nickname Lev no doubt after the Russian goalkeeper of that time.

The old stand is kind of like the wife in a marriage who you have fond memories of but the love has fizzled out and she's not the oil painting she once was.  The new main stand will be the 23 year old hot, filthy secretary who's about to take her place lol 

Wow! Really like it.

Does anyone have any photo's of what the area behind the main stand looked like before the Ace of Hearts club was built in the 1960s?

Fxxx the SPFL

Might be wrong on this but I think there may have been a public wash house/steamie

on the site before the social clubs.

That was down on the other side past the old flats near the new Prison Warders Club.