Minimum unit pricing

lauriesrank

Bindy Badgy

Can only be a good thing if it stops kids getting smashed on Grant's vodka and cheap cider.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Space Mackerel

• Rocco_Jambo

• deesidejambo

34 minutes ago, gjcc said:

I'll swing by the booze aisle to have a giggle at the prices. 

That's the thing though, I don't think most things will have changed. 

It's 50p a unit. A normal can has between 1.8 and 2.2 units, so that means they'll cost about £1, or £1.50 each, meaning a 4 pack of beers will cost you between £4 and £6, which they already do. 

It's the high strength lagers and ciders favoured by jakes that will have the main difference. 

37 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

A lot of people losing their shit for no reason at all on social media, just shows how ill informed some people are. 

I think you could post that on any topical issue. The public are, in general, head-shakingly stupid.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
29 minutes ago, tian447 said:

It's 50p a unit. A normal can has between 1.8 and 2.2 units, so that means they'll cost about £1, or £1.50 each, meaning a 4 pack of beers will cost you between £4 and £6, which they already do. 

It's the high strength lagers and ciders favoured by jakes that will have the main difference. 

Yes. Joker IPA is 2.5 units. So at 50p a unit it should cost £1.25 per bottle, which it already was (at least). 

Jambo-Jimbo
25 minutes ago, Boof said:

I think you could post that on any topical issue. The public are, in general, head-shakingly stupid.

As anybody who has had to work/deal with 'Joe Public' will testify to.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Jambo-Jimbo

Can't see this having any effect on me, as I buy most of my beer from either England or Holland anyway.

peter_hmfc

Seeing borderline alcoholics lose their shit over this on social media is absolutely hilarious.

:pleasing:

Rocco_Jambo
38 minutes ago, tian447 said:

It was previously reported 70% of retail alcohol was sold below the new minimum price.

So most will have changed.

doctor jambo

decent from the SNP

and as someone who never drinks in the street, or in a park, I'm utterly unaffected by this

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

It was previously reported 70% of retail alcohol was sold below the new minimum price.

So most will have changed.

Aye, but 70 % of alcohol is consumed by 2 % of the population

the rest of us will not see our wine or decent beer affected

46 minutes ago, tian447 said:

True, I'll just wait till I'm in Morrisinghs or singhsbury's to get my kicks. 

Rocco_Jambo
3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Aye, but 70 % of alcohol is consumed by 2 % of the population

the rest of us will not see our wine or decent beer affected

Aye, but that’s a completely different point which doesnt sound particularly true.

Bindy Badgy

Will LIDL rum be affected?

Tastes exactly the same as Morgans and costs (used to cost?) 5 quid less.

Edited by Stokesy
spelling

Space Mackerel

Just back from the shops, things have went up a few pence here and there but nothing to shit the bed about.

Chester™
12 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Their Bourbon went up considerably.

Their blended Scotch went up a penny.

It'll depend on the rate the rum was already retailing at. If you know the units in a bottle, I'm sure you'll be able to work out how much difference it'll be.

22 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Minimum cost would be £14 now

Nothing I drink has been affected, as I'm neither a bench-dwelling alcoholic or a 14 year old bawbag from the schemes.

Can of beer/cider/lager is around 2 units, or £1 a pop. Still cheap.

750ml bottle of wine at 10 units is now a fiver. Still cheap.

1 litre of spirits at 40 units is now £20. Still cheap.

The only drinks affected are the nastiest gut-rot pish.

49 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

:verysmug:

1 hour ago, Stokesy said:

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:verysmug:

Tastes exactly the same as Morgan's what?

:oohmatron:

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Tastes exactly the same as Morgan's what?

:oohmatron:

Hell Boris!

That’s what I thought too.

Dont even go there..

BB820EBF-F38D-47A2-B086-9095C5CB6A01.jpeg

Lovecraft

Surely this is only going to lead to increased crime rates, as people need more cash to buy their booze?

deesidejambo
6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Surely this is only going to lead to increased crime rates, as people need more cash to buy their booze?

That is an identified risk which needs to be monitored as part of the implementation.

And don’t call me Shirley

Lovecraft
1 minute ago, deesidejambo said:

That is an identified risk which needs to be monitored as part of the implementation.

hqdefault.jpg

Might lead to people taking more drugs too if that works out cheaper.

7 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

Can we call you Dee?

:whistling:

Unknown user
20 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s hard to care too much about it.  It’s well intention but I think it will make little difference and probably feel state over stepping the mark

On a personal level it won’t change my drinking habits. Sticking scary labels on with pictures of ****ed up liver etc because of drink would though!!!

Pretty much where I am. Obviously they mean well but this does little to tackle the reasons why we binge drink in the first place. 

I don't like the authoritarian overtones with this either, well meaning or not, and it seems ridiculous to make retailers charge more rather than applying more tax and diverting that money to things like alcohol education and treatment. 

AlimOzturk

This won't make a difference to myself.  I'll just order my booze online where as long as the shop has no Scottish residence they don't have to adhere to the minimum pricing. 

Mainly the big jakies with their cheap cider will lose out. Sure they will get their buzz elsewhere....Such as drugs or underground illegal alcohol.  

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Pretty much where I am. Obviously they mean well but this does little to tackle the reasons why we binge drink in the first place. 

I don't like the authoritarian overtones with this either, well meaning or not, and it seems ridiculous to make retailers charge more rather than applying more tax and diverting that money to things like alcohol education and treatment. 

Sky News interviewed an ex-alcoholic from Glasgow, whom is now a campaigner, anyway he was saying pretty much the same as you are.

It'll make no difference to the alcoholic as they'll spend whatever it takes to get their booze, he added that the Scottish Government should be addressing the issues which are often driving people to drink in the first place, the social issues & the depravation and all the other things which Governments consistently ignore.

He also said that it should have been a tax and the money raised to fund education and programmes to help people get off the booze.

Space Mackerel
11 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

This won't make a difference to myself.  I'll just order my booze online where as long as the shop has no Scottish residence they don't have to adhere to the minimum pricing. 

Mainly the big jakies with their cheap cider will lose out. Sure they will get their buzz elsewhere....Such as drugs or underground illegal alcohol.  

Do you use the Dark Web for this clandestine operation?

AlimOzturk
7 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Do you use the Dark Web for this clandestine operation?

Do you live in North Korea or something as there is nothing surreptitious about ordering booze online. Especially now that I'll be saving myself £8 on each order.

3 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Just back from the shops, things have went up a few pence here and there but nothing to shit the bed about.

Yup. My favourite tipple has gone up 25p a bottle. Nothing to greet about. 

John Findlay
54 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sky News interviewed an ex-alcoholic from Glasgow, whom is now a campaigner, anyway he was saying pretty much the same as you are.

It'll make no difference to the alcoholic as they'll spend whatever it takes to get their booze, he added that the Scottish Government should be addressing the issues which are often driving people to drink in the first place, the social issues & the depravation and all the other things which Governments consistently ignore.

He also said that it should have been a tax and the money raised to fund education and programmes to help people get off the booze.

You do know alcoholics come from all walks of life?

Victorian

A very sensible policy.     The potential benefits to the NHS and the criminal justice system are obvious.      It wont stop all alcoholics from drinking themselves into being a drain on the NHS and it wont stop all urban savages from causing all types of anti-social / criminal mayhem but it will definitely contribute to reductions.

Will it adversely affect reasonable,  moderate consumers who have very little to devote towards alcohol?     Yes it will... but I don't care.     It is not a human right to be entitled to afford things.     They'll simply have to adapt and the other benefits to society must take precedence.    If some half-wits on Facebook fall headlong into an ignorant rage about it then good.     It will save them from being ignorantly outraged about something else.

deesidejambo

It seems worth trying.  It does come with risks like increased crime which shouldn’t be ignored but it should be easy to monitor whether or not it’s working.

In the short-term:

Alcohol sales should fall.

There should be fewer jakes about.

Crime rates should not increase.

If those happen then fine by me.

Victorian
Just now, Boris said:

I'm not sure the impact will be seen overnight, rather review in five, ten years to see the benefit. 

The legislation has a five year sunset clause for that purpose.    It has to pass another parliamentary vote to continue or be amended.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Yup. My favourite tipple has gone up 25p a bottle. Nothing to greet about. 

Bleach has always been pretty cheap...

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The legislation has a five year sunset clause for that purpose.    It has to pass another parliamentary vote to continue or be amended.

Think this is extremely wise - quite like the idea too.

On paper good idea. Will it make a difference? I am not entirely sure but we can only wait and see. The skeptic in me says the Frosty Jacks drinker will move into Echo Falls as that is staying below a fiver. But better than nothing!

Of course given we have an issue with many people drinking a lot at home I'd argue duty rises on off sales and reducing duty on drink bought in pubs would be wiser. Easy to police and control drinking in pubs. Would stop folk drinking these garbage alco-pops and big blue bottled ciders and onto delicious pints of adequate domestic lager and 80/-...

Haven't really looked into this at all but would I be right in thinking that this shouldn't really affect pub prices? As they're above this anyway

AlimOzturk
2 minutes ago, Arshavin said:

Haven't really looked into this at all but would I be right in thinking that this shouldn't really affect pub prices? As they're above this anyway

It will affect cheap shitey booze. Won't get any promotional deals any more either. 

Victorian
2 minutes ago, Arshavin said:

Just a bit.    50p per unit.    2 to 2.5 units in a pint.     1 unit in a measure of most spirits.     

deesidejambo
1 hour ago, Boris said:

I'm not sure the impact will be seen overnight, rather review in five, ten years to see the benefit. 

It should be seen quickly - alcohol sales should immediately reduce - if that happens then it would be reasonable to conclude that less alcohol is being consumed and the health effects will come in due time.

Rocco_Jambo
47 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

Think this is extremely wise - quite like the idea too.

On paper good idea. Will it make a difference? I am not entirely sure but we can only wait and see. The skeptic in me says the Frosty Jacks drinker will move into Echo Falls as that is staying below a fiver. But better than nothing!

Of course given we have an issue with many people drinking a lot at home I'd argue duty rises on off sales and reducing duty on drink bought in pubs would be wiser. Easy to police and control drinking in pubs. Would stop folk drinking these garbage alco-pops and big blue bottled ciders and onto delicious pints of adequate domestic lager and 80/-...

An issue which no doubt increased due to them also banning happy hours and promotional deals in pubs several years ago.

Pans Jambo

Can see a rise in the beer home brew kits our dads used to have in the tank cupboards in the 70’s. 

Another solution would be for manufacturers to simply lower the alcohol content of their products.

Keeps prices as they are, you can still tan 8 pints on a friday night and the only result is you have less blackouts/less of a hangover the morning after.

Can't see drinks producers going to the hassle of making special weaker brew for sale in Scotland though.

Rocco_Jambo
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Another solution would be for manufacturers to simply lower the alcohol content of their products.

Keeps prices as they are, you can still tan 8 pints on a friday night and the only result is you have less blackouts/less of a hangover the morning after.

Can't see drinks producers going to the hassle of making special weaker brew for sale in Scotland though.

2-3% beer/lager really isn’t a solution.

Space Mackerel

Hands up if you all take a poly bag to the shops now? 

?‍♂️

Terrible idea. :lol: 

heartsfc_fan

Shouldn't cost me much more if anything. The wife likes her Kopperberg cider which is 2 units a bottle and already cost about £1.80 so won't go up. Same with my ales.

It's the awful stuff like Frosty Jack/white lightning cider etc that will rise a lot.