• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Space Mackerel

• Rocco_Jambo

• deesidejambo

14 hours ago, Cade said:

Shoplifting is the fault of a store for not having items securely stored or placed within full view of staff.

Besides, 50p a unit only affects a tiny fraction of drinks. The cheap manky tramp/teenager ciders and a few other rancid beverages.

No other drinks got affected. 

:cornette:

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:12, Cade said:

Shoplifting is the fault of a store for not having items securely stored or placed within full view of staff.

Besides, 50p a unit only affects a tiny fraction of drinks. The cheap manky tramp/teenager ciders and a few other rancid beverages.

No other drinks got affected. 

Did you go to Fettes by any chance.

On 19/06/2019 at 13:14, superjack said:

A bottle of spirits was affected. I now can't get a bottle of whisky for under £14.

What kind of pish have you been drinking? ?

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

What kind of pish have you been drinking? ?

I actually really like a rough whisky when on the session. Whyte and Mackay is my favourite. I do enjoy a decent islay malt as well so that hasn't been affected.

4 hours ago, Dunks said:

Some retailer take matters seriously ...

image.png.936882e5878faf38d89b7b38ae2eb468.png

This, I imagine, is the sort of shop that Cade is referring to.  :rofl:

• 6 months later...

I've been pretty critical of this, but by at least one measure it may have had a statistically significant, positive effect.

'Liver disease admissions down' after minimum pricing introduced

Information Services Division Scotland’s report, Alcohol Related Hospital Statistics, published last month, shows that the number of people admitted to Scottish hospitals with a cirrhosis diagnosis decreased by almost 200, with the rate down from nine per 100,000 people in 2017-18 to eight per 100,000 the following year.

A decrease in the total occurrence of cirrhosis of 11% is no small change. The concept behind the minimum pricing, which was indeed to target the less well off as they tend to drink more, also appears to have been sound:

The Alcohol Related Hospital Statistics report, which is published annually and covers data from April 2018 to March 2019 in its latest release, also showed that there were seven times more hospital stays in the most deprived areas of the country, where there was at least one alcohol-related reason for admission, compared with the most affluent locations. This is a reduction from the previous year which saw eight times as many.

So fewer people in deprived areas, relative to the affluent, are being admitted to hospital for alcohol-related reasons, and fewer people overall are being afflicted by liver disease.

Maybe this was not such bad policy after all.

Not convinced as cirrhosis takes up to ten years to develop. Or judging by the smell of weed everywhere, maybe folk are taking recreational's instead. 

Better call Saul
1 hour ago, tightrope said:

Not convinced as cirrhosis takes up to ten years to develop. Or judging by the smell of weed everywhere, maybe folk are taking recreational's instead. 

This this this 

Drug abuse has grown in Scotland the stats have been horrific and will continue to become worse.. I have worked in the same area for 10 years and the smell of weed is becoming part of the Norm even at 630am from people going to work. 

On 20/06/2019 at 12:59, Dunks said:

Some retailer take matters seriously ...

image.png.936882e5878faf38d89b7b38ae2eb468.png

I appreciate this post is old but I'm sure I remember using an offy like that in Easter Drylaw. Going back over 20 years ago though.