Fernando Ricksen's condition is deteriorating

Ecce Romanov

Ecce Romanov

Seems like he is too unwell to travel now.

MND is a horrible condition.

http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1369190-fernando-ricksen-told-he-is-too-ill-to-fly-to-glasgow-event/

He's been really dignified through this. Hated him as a player, full of admiration now though

Edited by Ecce Romanov

KLM staff on that particular flight were apparently being a little too strict.

His agent claims that he's fine, his health hasn't deteriorated drastically and that they're going to contact KLM about this.

That's good news. Thanks for that Locky

They're looking at direct flights from Alicante to Glasgow instead of changing at Amsterdam. Hopefully he'll attend the dinner.

Hated him as a player too, but watched the documentary with him on sky a year or 2 ago, and it's hard not to feel emotional.

Bazzas right boot

Unfortunately it will do.

Horrible disease.

Real shame on Fernando and anyone else who gets it.

Terrible how quickly the ilness has taken hold of him.

Hopefully he'll make the event.

MND is thankfully rare but the prognosis is total disablement and death. Horrible way to go.

Ecce Romanov

Off topic but love your username, made me chuckle

Thanks Smithee. I did want to use "What have the Romanovs ever done for us?" but it was too long :-(

We lost a close relative to MND, unfortunately he will deteriorate in time , the only thing he can do is keep on fighting I wish him nothing but the best.

Edited by micole

Work in a centre fighting to beat this. He's deteriorated a lot quicker than expected. Poor guy, he should still have a good ten years plus to live but his brain is still working and thinking correctly, as a top athlete it must be especially tough.

Work in a centre fighting to beat this. He's deteriorated a lot quicker than expected. Poor guy, he should still have a good ten years plus to live but his brain is still working and thinking correctly, as a top athlete it must be especially tough.

Life expectancy is 3 years. You'd be unlikely to last 10 years.

My wife's dad only last around 18 months from diagnosis.

Fxxx the SPFL

We had friends up from Coventry at Gorgie live last week and he is in the final stages of MND Gary Naismith was the main speaker and when he mentioned that his dad died from MND our friends got really emotional but we're greatful for his comments. It's a terrible disease and hopefully they get a cure for it soon

We had friends up from Coventry at Gorgie live last week and he is in the final stages of MND Gary Naismith was the main speaker and when he mentioned that his dad died from MND our friends got really emotional but we're greatful for his comments. It's a terrible disease and hopefully they get a cure for it soon

i think i saw your earlier posting on the Gorgie suite site......my uncle lived with it, into his late fifties...........every day seems to bring a new cure for some illness/disease, hopefully this happens with this.

Fxxx the SPFL

i think i saw your earlier posting on the Gorgie suite site......my uncle lived with it, into his late fifties...........every day seems to bring a new cure for some illness/disease, hopefully this happens with this.

cheers and thanks for the comments.

MND is thankfully rare but the prognosis is total disablement and death. Horrible way to go.

This is sadly true, there's no known treatment to ease symptoms or effect the disease progression. Most sufferers die within 18 months to two years, frequently choking to death when the muscles that control the gag reflex waste away. It is probably the most horrific way to die and the best sufferers can hope for is that it's quick.

Stephen Hawking is an incredibly rare case to have survived for 40 years.

Where do you get a prognosis of 10 years from? All I have read about mnd points towards an average lifespan of 18 months to two years from diagnosis. I really hope that you are not yet another researcher who doesn't fully understand the disease they are working to resolve.

Not sure if you've been lost in translation somewhere but only around 1 in 10 people with MND make it to ten years after the onset of symptoms. From what I can see, Ricksen publicly announced his diagnosis around 3 years ago so sadly his time is running out.

Horrible disease but hopefully given the publicity it's had in recent years we'll see strides forward in terms of treatments and a cure.

Big Slim Stylee

I'm no Rangers lover, but the testimonial game and attendance for him were an impressive show of support.  It's a horrible condition and the sheer mental strength to continue would be more than enough in itself.

• 1 year later...

Watching a Sky Sports documentary called "Hard Times: Fernando Ricksen" and it's actually heartbreaking seeing what's happened to him. 

I hated him when he played for Rangers, truly hated him.  But absolutely no-one, ever, deserves what is happening to him. 

A real shame :(

Shank said no
29 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Watching a Sky Sports documentary called "Hard Times: Fernando Ricksen" and it's actually heartbreaking seeing what's happened to him. 

I hated him when he played for Rangers, truly hated him.  But absolutely no-one, ever, deserves what is happening to him. 

A real shame :(

100 %  spot on  :( .

16 minutes ago, Shank said no said:

100 %  spot on  :( .

Had to go through to the kitchen to make a cup of tea because the documentary was too hard hitting. Had more than a wee tear in my eye throughout quite a lot of it, particularly when he was at Ibrox for his charity game. 

He seems so determined to stay positive throughout it all, which is quite frankly incredible stuff.  I don't know how I would ever cope with something like that.

Shank said no
20 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Had to go through to the kitchen to make a cup of tea because the documentary was too hard hitting. Had more than a wee tear in my eye throughout quite a lot of it, particularly when he was at Ibrox for his charity game. 

He seems so determined to stay positive throughout it all, which is quite frankly incredible stuff.  I don't know how I would ever cope with something like that.

I agree mate watching it does get to you and it does say a lot about him you only think you have problems till you watch something like that totally soul destroying .

The Future's Maroon

Sure I have said this elsewhere on the forum, I had to watch my Grandfather go through this, only took two years to kill him but those are easily the worst two years of my life...never mind thinking what it was like for himself.

I could not wish this disease on my worst enemy and I truly mean that.

Hats off to how Rickson has conducted himself through it. Also, Stephen Hawkins....how he has managed to go on for so long with this is practically a miracle.

Never usually been someone who commits to a charity, but since my granda passed any job I have I have always donated a tenner a week straight from my wage in the hope it helps find a cure. A massive shame so little is known about it.

Edited by The Future's Maroon

Jambof3tornado

This is where the euthanasia debate needs mentioned. Why shouldnt he get to decide when he has had enough??

We are so bad in the uk about discussing death. 

Heartbreaking stuff. Terrible disease.

22 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Sure I have said this elsewhere on the forum, I had to watch my Grandfather go through this, only took two years to kill him but those are easily the worst two years of my life...never mind thinking what it was like for himself.

I could not wish this disease on my worst enemy and I truly mean that.

Hats off to how Rickson has conducted himself through it. Also, Stephen Hawkins....how he has managed to go on for so long with this is practically a miracle.

Never usually been someone who commits to a charity, but since my granda passed any job I have I have always donated a tenner a week straight from my wage in the hope it helps find a cure. A massive shame so little is known about it.

My wife's cousin's wife recently passed away due to this horrible condition.

Heartbreaking moments throughout us visiting her was knowing she knew we were there but couldn't communicate. Sad times.

6 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

This is where the euthanasia debate needs mentioned. Why shouldnt he get to decide when he has had enough??

I haven't watched the documentary, but I'm assuming he's in Netherlands where euthanasia is practiced

• 1 year later...
gashauskis9

He’s done a video for Sky News.  Reckons he won’t last the month and is having a ‘final night’ fundraiser on the 28th in Glasgow.

Utterly heartbreaking.

4 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

That disease gives me the fear. 

The video posted tonight is incredibly sad. Seeing him like that is horrendous. 

32 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

He’s done a video for Sky News.  Reckons he won’t last the month and is having a ‘final night’ fundraiser on the 28th in Glasgow.

Utterly heartbreaking.

How absolutely awful to have to deal with this.

As you say, heartbreaking.

27 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

That disease gives me the fear. 

Snap, Tosh.  :sad: 

Just awful seeing him as he is. He’s likely to choke to death in the coming weeks.

I can’t believe that in this day and age we won’t even talk about euthanasia being an option with illnesses like this.

It’s absolutely horrific and as is often said, we treat sick animals better.

Horrible disease. My best mate dad died of it few years back. Terrifying how rapidly he deteriorated, to the point it was actually cruel to keep him alive. 

chester copperpot

He was a guy who I hated playing against us. But would have loved for him to play for us.

Fernando split opinions, but he was a superb player. I just hope he raises what he needs. 

Horrible to see him like this. I absolutely hate it when this happens. God bless Fernando x

On 07/10/2016 at 11:19, jambogemz said:

Terrible how quickly the ilness has taken hold of him.

Hopefully he'll make the event.

I don’t think it has been that quick - he has had it for years now. I think the average life expectancy is 18 months or so. Possibly being a sports person has held it at bay a bit like it has with Doddie. Well that and Doddie being a right stubborn *******.

On 25/02/2018 at 21:15, Jambof3tornado said:

What I don’t understand about that debate is that the courts in the UK feel empowered to allow a baby to die and not prevent its death but take the opposite view with adults who can communicate what they want to do but won’t allow it.

Makes no sense.

There is an incredible Scottish documentary which follows some poor bloke who gets MND through the process to his death - it won awards. I can’t recall what it was called. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

With everyone else. Just a horrible disintegration of a human. Really hope that science wins some day 

FarmerTweedy
56 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I don’t think it has been that quick - he has had it for years now. I think the average life expectancy is 18 months or so. Possibly being a sports person has held it at bay a bit like it has with Doddie. Well that and Doddie being a right stubborn *******.

That post was from nearly three years ago!   I think you may have a point re the sports person bit - I

think there's a fair bit of evidence that people who are very fit can sometimes fare better than others in terms of how quickly degenerative illnesses like this take effect, although I'm sure it doesn't hold for everyone. 

1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

He was a guy who I hated playing against us. But would have loved for him to play for us.

Fernando split opinions, but he was a superb player. I just hope he raises what he needs. 

Horrible to see him like this. I absolutely hate it when this happens. God bless Fernando x

Trivial as it is I thoroughly enjoyed Fernando's career in Scotland .

He was a complete radge (in the best possible way) . Provided huge amounts of entertainment on and off the pitch .

Still seems to have a great attitude . ****ing shame 

jambogirlglasgow

Appalling disease which he has borne with great dignity. It’s awful to watch. Total respect from me, and of course to big Doddie too. 

chester copperpot
14 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Trivial as it is I thoroughly enjoyed Fernando's career in Scotland .

He was a complete radge (in the best possible way) . Provided huge amounts of entertainment on and off the pitch .

Still seems to have a great attitude . ****ing shame 

See when these things happen mate, I am totally heartbroken. This is a guy who has about 7 or 8 yrs on me. It's never far away.

I hated Ricksen as player but I guess that was due to the fact he was a hard ******* and never gave us a minute peace. What a player tho 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

With everyone else. Just a horrible disintegration of a human. Really hope that science wins some day 

100%

Hopefully,  but with them trying to find a cure for being gay ( apparently) their resources are stretched.