Scotland v Lithuania/Slovakia - Match Threads

jamtartan74

International time again. Hoping for 4 points at least from these games, should win at home and a point away would do, Slovakia are a good side but fancy is to take something from this. Malta to smash the English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BangkokHearts

We will get a point against the Liffs and well beaten by a superior Slovak side. 

Maroon Sailor

Like to think we could get at least 4 points out of these games but I have no confidence in that smarmy wee ginger prick. Odds on he'll make a James Blunt of it by being too negative.

We will get a point against the Liffs and well beaten by a superior Slovak side.

nice positive attitude bud lol.

Like to think we could get at least 4 points out of these games but I have no confidence in that smarmy wee ginger prick. Odds on he'll make a James Blunt of it by being too negative.

have to say that I'm not Strachans biggest fan either but we have decent players so let's see how things go this campaign, it will be his last imo regardless.

Are they away games or home games, both?

I fancy us to take 3 points at home and a draw away against either.

7 points from 3 games has to be the aim and that means a win and a draw at least but we can make Slovakia's task very difficult with a win next midweek

A draw on Saturday and an away win in Slovakia would be the better option to get to that 7 point mark but if that happened Sunday would be a field day for the negative amongst us so lets go for 2 wins and 9 points

Must win both. 4points minimum.

6 points minimum if we must win both surely?

Reckon we will lose to Lithuania and beat Slovakia for some reason.

maroonnicky63

I have to say I am really disappointed in the negativity coming out of the Scotland camp already. Strachan saying it is not a must win , then saying he will have a home team and an away team ( I know how I would read that ).

Scotland have never been good at going anywhere to defend , just go and play the game and be confident in the players you are putting out on the park , trust them to deliver.

Archie Gemmil was on the TV tonight saying we should forget about England and consecrate on the other teams '' why '' we should be going out to try and beat them all. Teams used to be petrified to come to Hampden no matter who the team was we always gave it a go.Yes perhaps we had a better quality of player but we can only play with what we have and naming 3 x left backs in the team does not fill me with confidence.

We will easily beat Lithuania :lol: reckon we will draw in Slovakia which wouldn't be too bad.

thats what I'm thinking, can see Slovakia being a hard fought out draw. 7 points from opening 3 would be a decent start to the campaign.

I have to say I am really disappointed in the negativity coming out of the Scotland camp already. Strachan saying it is not a must win , then saying he will have a home team and an away team ( I know how I would read that ).

Scotland have never been good at going anywhere to defend , just go and play the game and be confident in the players you are putting out on the park , trust them to deliver.

Archie Gemmil was on the TV tonight saying we should forget about England and consecrate on the other teams '' why '' we should be going out to try and beat them all. Teams used to be petrified to come to Hampden no matter who the team was we always gave it a go.Yes perhaps we had a better quality of player but we can only play with what we have and naming 3 x left backs in the team does not fill me with confidence.

Does my nut in when people say we should forget about England and go for second. Fair enough they are the strongest team in the group but they are not invincible.

We should be going in to every game to win. England have no divine right to beat us just as we have no divine right to beat the likes of Lithuania.

Remember when we had France in our WC group and beat them home and away. We still didn't qualify because we fecked up against the smaller nations.

Of course Saturdays game is a must win just as the manager should be telling the players every game is a must win. Is winning not the point of the exercise.

Does my nut in when people say we should forget about England and go for second. Fair enough they are the strongest team in the group but they are not invincible.

We should be going in to every game to win. England have no divine right to beat us just as we have no divine right to beat the likes of Lithuania.

Remember when we had France in our WC group and beat them home and away. We still didn't qualify because we fecked up against the smaller nations.

Of course Saturdays game is a must win just as the manager should be telling the players every game is a must win. Is winning not the point of the exercise.

spot on. A bit of luck and we could win this group.

We should be going out to win every game in this group. None of this playing for a draw shite which cost us so dearly in the last campaign.

maroonnicky63

agree 100%, we want our national team back

We should be going out to win every game in this group. None of this playing for a draw shite which cost us so dearly in the last campaign.

Slovakia are decent though, we can beat them but you have to respect the opposition and say a point over there would be ok, i think we'll want to win but it will be tough, we now have players in the team that can be match winners, Snodgrass, Ritchie, Burke, Griffiths and even Forrest with the form he's in.

Absolute must win against Lithuania, which Strachan knows fine. Dampening expectations ahead of a game I expect we'll win pretty comfortably.

Slovakia, a point is a good result if we're after second, especially if they fail to beat Slovenia on Saturday.

Absolute must win against Lithuania, which Strachan knows fine. Dampening expectations ahead of a game I expect we'll win pretty comfortably.

Slovakia, a point is a good result if we're after second, especially if they fail to beat Slovenia on Saturday.

We will lose to Slovakia but beat England. It is how we roll.

We will lose to Slovakia but beat England. It is how we roll.

Slovakia are a good team with one world class player in Hamsik who far better teams than us have lost to so it wouldn't exactly be a shock but quietly confident we can take something.

When you haven't been to a major tournament for 20 years I would suggest that every qualifying game is 'must win'.

Exactly

Win next game. Should be 100% towards that. Strachan chooses to piss about with the media which is behind his comments.

Maybe this team can surprise us.

While I agree about going out to win every game in this group, four points, 3 at home and 1 away, would put a big dent in Slovakia's challenge.

I don't agree with Gemmill's notion of forgetting about England either.

It's up for grabs !......to use a great football cliche !

Hutton out so presume Patterson nailed on for a start so looking forward to that

My son and his friend have got their game first thing on Saturday morning and then 6 of us are catching the train to Glasgow. It'll be the kids first Scotland game. Really looking forward to it and hopefully we'll get to see a Jambo in the team

The old cliche of one game at a time is the way Strachan should be approaching this. So to say that this is not a must win game is sort of making excuses for failure. He is supposed to be the leader of the Scottish team but inspires no confidence.He should have been gone after the Euros disaster. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Bazzas right boot

6 pionts are not beyond us.

3 pionts minimum, 4 would be good.

Confident of at least 4 pionts.

Exactly. England are not a top tier team and haven't been for a while. Ask Wales and Iceland. If we think we can beat slovakia, which we can, then we can beat England as well. This is our easiest qualifying group for a while - Strachan has no excuses not to go for it.

We'll win both and everyone will get very excited that we will eventually qualify.

And in the last few games we'll make a complete James Blunt of it.

Scotland are spectacular failures unfortunately.

If we beat Lithuania then the Slovakia game becomes massive.

A win over there and we'd be hot favourites to come 2nd. I'm worried tho that Strachan might not be intelligent enough to realise our most important game could be only the 3rd one we play in the group.

letsalldothebeattie

We should get 3 points on Saturday with a comfortable 2 or 3-0 win and agree a point from a tough away trip to Slovakia would be a a good result. We would all be happy with 4 out of 6 from the two games but I hope we have turned a corner and take 6/6.

But just remember we are Scotland so defeat on Saturday and victory on Tuesday shouldn't be a surprise

I think we could win both. Scotland are pretty solid at the moment. Good keeper, developing back line and we have a good and varied midfield.

The return of McArthur is a big bonus. Means Bannan drops out and we have a player stepping in who is in form at present coming back.

At home i think we will have a good go. Don't think the team changes except adding McArthur to the side.

Slovakia away is interesting. I have a feeling we might just sneak an away win like we did in Croatia a while back. Our strikers are pretty unspectacular but i can see Snodgrass, Burke or Ritchie scoring a great goal to put us ahead. That's the difference to me in this campaign... a fit Snodgrass, Ritchie settled into the squad and the breakthrough of Burke. All attacking players who can make a difference who've more about them than their predecessors in Morrison, Maloney and Anya.

Bazzas right boot

I agree, but their we qualifying record suggests they deal with average and poor sides confidently.

Probably the worst of the top seeds, but they qualify very strongly, it's the tournament they fall to bits in.

I actually think we'll get a point down there but they'll beat us at home.

2nd should be the aim,s Slovakia are no mugs. we'll need to win in Slovakia to match England's result if first is the goal. If we win our next two we can think of first place, one game at a time tho.

We_are_the_Hearts

**** this 2nd pish, should always aim for first. Total defeatist attitude. Wales have the right idea, fear no one. 

Bazzas right boot

**** this 2nd pish, should always aim for first. Total defeatist attitude. Wales have the right idea, fear no one. 

Defeatist.....2nd for us would be a massive improvement!

You could argue that people saying we will end up 2nd are being widely optimistic, as for 1st place.....

Your right we shouldn't fear anyone, England are the weakest of the  top seeds, although the seem to be very strong in qualifying, nothing to be afraid off.

We_are_the_Hearts

Defeatist.....2nd for us would be a massive improvement!

You could argue that people saying we will end up 2nd are being widely optimistic, as for 1st place.....

Your right we shouldn't fear anyone, England are the weakest of the  top seeds, although the seem to be very strong in qualifying, nothing to be afraid off.

I don't think we will top the group but we should be aiming to. Aim high and see where it takes us. Same with Hearts

Think we'll pump Lithuania. We have great attacking midfielders in the team but the defence is a concern. 3-1

Counter attacking will be the ploy against Slovakia and hopefully we have no injuries to key players after the Lith game. A draw would be good.

Maroon Sailor

Think we'll pump Lithuania. We have great attacking midfielders in the team but the defence is a concern. 3-1

Counter attacking will be the ploy against Slovakia and hopefully we have no injuries to key players after the Lith game. A draw would be good.

Only concern I have about the Lithuania game is Strachan.

If he thinks this is not a must win game then how is he expecting to qualify ?

Psychedelicropcircle

Just seen that cheese fest of a track bits & pieces is now the new SFT's new anthem. All the more reason not to want a goal??

We_are_the_Hearts

Just seen that cheese fest of a track bits & pieces is now the new SFT's new anthem. All the more reason not to want a goal??

What are your other reasons?

We_are_the_Hearts

Slovakia beat Spain and the Czech Rep at home in the last qualifying campaign. They will be tough opponents

Hagar the Horrible

I heard Erchie Gemmills' comments that this is not a must win! do we breed half educated tenement losers? (politics?)  of course its a must win, all games are must win, need to win, nice to win. what they are not is an acceptable loss. not at this level, not if we want to fall further back in the co-efficiency ratings, even if we were already out, It would still be a MUST WIN to make the next tournament that wee bit easier.  Even playing Brazil would be a hope to win, but to not try???  Sorry Archie great goal in 78, but every point is a prisoner, and the 3 points here makes it easier later, so that later we dont have to play England and they become a must win or we are out (added pressure), Wales,  Norniron and ROI went to the last tournament because they treated all games as must win, ROI never beat us, but if they decided that some other games were not must win , then we might have gone instead of them.

I hate ex-players who like strapon think think we are all keyboard special brew swallowing morons who know naff all about the game?  Well I know enough, that having a winning mentality is everything. and if he had one, then perhaps he would not be a national failure like the rest of his team mate who failed spectacularly to beat Peru and Iran?  But then those must have been non must win games.

Lets do it the easy way and win these, so that if Englanshire slips up, then the have MUST WIN games against us.

3 points would be the expected haul I imagine. Anything less is a disaster, any more would be seen as a bonus. If we are serious about finishing 2nd, we really need 4 points minimum from these 2 games

Archived