Score updates on Ceefax

Ecce Romanov

I was looking at a story about Arsene Wenger's 20 years at Arsenal and they had this graphic of scores on Ceefax. I remember watching these scroll round until the Hearts score came up.

Ah the memories

You tell that to youngsters these days...

post-13239-0-34729800-1475249830_thumb.jpg

Here's the item if you want a look http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37408155

scott herbertson

I can't bear to think about ceefax - I was working in london in 1986 last day of the season and finishing at 5. The ceefax still had us winning the league at 4.50 - it was only when i got on the bus I got the news

Page 310 for the Scottish scores. The tension as the pages scrolled around...

now thats a memory for you, and the minute i read it i know you were right, 302 for football im sure

I used to cover up one eye and scroll along past the team we were playing to see if they had scored, keeping my fingers crossed that the said team was 0 then get all excited the reveal if we had scored or not

Was 398 not the Hearts pages? I used to set all the tells onto it any time I was in a shop that sold tellys. In a similar vein today, I always get the Hearts site up on any tablets I pass in shops lol.

I remember sittin in a boozer in Majorca watching Lantana v Hearts 'live' on Ceefax. Loved Ceefax.

And dinny get me started on Bamboozle...!

August Landmesser

Every day after school I was straight onto p312 for the News in Brief. Loved the random snippets about Doncaster Rovers taking the Cambridge Utd reserve keeper on loan or something. Good times...

Waiting for "FT" to come up under the score was more nerve wracking than actually being at the game.  When the time in the top right corner said 16.53 and there was still no "FT". Oh,the nerves! 

Bazzas right boot

I can't bear to think about ceefax - I was working in london in 1986 last day of the season and finishing at 5. The ceefax still had us winning the league at 4.50 - it was only when i got on the bus I got the news

That's just shit.

Great shout mate page310 would pop up on the tv and the pub would shout "there's been a goal somewhere"

I was working in the doctors pub that  same night, and was on my way up lauriston when i poped into lauries pub to catch the score., with 10 or so minutes to play................  The radio was blaring, most  regulars were at the game, but the teletext/ceefax showed celtic having 3 goals.........well behind the radio. :uhoh2:

Spent many a Saturday afternoon lying on the couch watching our score update on Ceefax when I lived in Durham in 91/92.  Amazing to think that was the only way short of the telephone to get live updates in those days only 200 miles or so away from the game.

Christ, if there's a contest for the worst way to find out how that season ended, that could be the winner.

I was looking at a story about Arsene Wenger's 20 years at Arsenal and they had this graphic of scores on Ceefax. I remember watching these scroll round until the Hearts score came up.

Ah the memories

You tell that to youngsters these days...

attachicon.gifIMG_0148.JPG

Here's the item if you want a look http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37408155

I used to do that when I stayed in the colonies at Dalry but I could hear the roar of the crowd from there so I always knew we'd scored before it came up on Ceefax.

Bazzas right boot

Watts a step ahead half the time, he must be frustrated as hell.

Sammon needs to move, he was good at running the channels, why is he standing n the centre halves?

wrong  thread, point still stands

There was a real art to writing Ceefax titbits

When faster ceefax (fastfax or someting?) came out it was like having broadband. Page 310 loaded instantly!

anybody else partake in a bit Bamboozle on teletext.

Yes, loved the holiday weather page as well.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Was genuinely gutted when it ended. Bookies pages on C4 , I haven't know what is number one since p531 on BBC two was taken from my world.

As someone said the tension of the page turning.

The old man and dear loved the snooker, waiting for the page number to update on the top corner of the screen and the dive for the remote to see who won the frame, unless it was really close and important when there was trepidation to hit the text button :lol:

The Internet has stolen that from us

Getting home every night to see if we had signed Tommy Coyne, nearly fell over when we had signed Mo Johnston instead.

heartgarfunkel

Great thread!  Scott's post just about made me greet though :36: 

BarneyBattles was a Ceefax fanatic! Memories!

StAndrewsHMFC

http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/teletext/bbc1/1997-08-30-0005.4/310.html

Always the first page to check, followed by 327 of course

http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/teletext/bbc1/1998-03-31-0054.0/327.html

Was there a page that gave you the score updates at the bottom of the screen while you watched something else or have I just made that up?

August Landmesser

http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/teletext/bbc1/1997-08-30-0005.4/310.html

Always the first page to check, followed by 327 of course

http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/teletext/bbc1/1998-03-31-0054.0/327.html

Was there a page that gave you the score updates at the bottom of the screen while you watched something else or have I just made that up?

There was. It was a button on the remote that minimised the page somehow.

Aw man, I used to be fluent in ceefax. Can't believe I've lost the skills.

There was. It was a button on the remote that minimised the page somehow.

Aw man, I used to be fluent in ceefax. Can't believe I've lost the skills.

Think there was actually a page that all came up was a two line vidiprinter type thing. Ffs, ceefax and vidiprinter...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Archived