SNP MP Natalie McGarry

Stephane Grappelli

4 minutes ago, Boris said:

Bizarre analogy.  Patronising?  If you say so, but all these non independence supporters still seem to vote SNP at elections so I doubt it is outwith the realms of possibility that some of them may switch sides.  Given the current nick of UK politics, maybe even more so.

They may well do, but at the moment they seem to be in as strong a position as they ever have been.

As strong a position as they've ever been? 21 MPs down, a lost majority at Holyrood, the once-in-a-generation referendum lost, the trying to turn Brexit resentment into indy fever resulting in...20% support for a referendum.

It's over. Now they should get back to real life and sort out the education system.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Roxy Hearts

• JamboX2

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Sausage
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

Patronising?  If you say so, but all these non independence supporters still seem to vote SNP at elections so I doubt it is outwith the realms of possibility that some of them may switch sides.  Given the current nick of UK politics, maybe even more so.

Might be wrong, but is it not more to do with the fact that pro-Indy voters will almost exclusively vote SNP, whereas the anti-Indy vote is split Tory/Labour/LD?

Similar to the Brexit party leading the European elections?

If so, I think you are being misleading with your phrasing. Although, admittedly I could be wrong, this area is not my forte. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Might be wrong, but is it not more to do with the fact that pro-Indy voters will almost exclusively vote SNP, whereas the anti-Indy vote is split Tory/Labour/LD?

Similar to the Brexit party leading the European elections?

If so, I think you are being misleading with your phrasing. Although, admittedly I could be wrong, this area is not my forte. 

Last GE election results would back up what you are saying overall, however I think that some (not a lot, but some) non independence supporting people will still vote SNP.

I don't think that things are as binary as made out.  I, for example, voted Labour at the last Holyrood elections, but would vote YES at an indy ref.

davemclaren
57 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Does anyone know what a typical sentence might be for the offences admitted?

I would be surprised if she didn’t get a custodial sentence plus her legal career is over. An amazing misjudgement on her part. 

davemclaren

Interestingly her husband is/was a tory councillor. I can never understand how these mixed marriages work. ???‍♂️

AlphonseCapone
Just now, davemclaren said:

Interestingly her husband is/was a tory councillor. I can never understand how these mixed marriages work. ???‍♂️

Where did you think strangulation during sex came from? 

43 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I would be surprised if she didn’t get a custodial sentence plus her legal career is over. An amazing misjudgement on her part. 

And all over a - relatively - small amount of money. About a third of an MP's salary.

• 1 month later...
CostaJambo
On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 19:42, Gorgiewave said:

286F6DB100000578-3463994-Suspended_McGar

Wouldn't. Would.

**** me, Jimmy Krankie scrubs up well.

Not trying to pull a fast one with plea changes and showing a bit of remorse would have reduced that a bit.    What a shame.    Then again... she's an out and out crook,   so the mentality is of a crook.   

45 minutes ago, Ally Bee said:

So, 18 months in jail then. A wee bit more than I thought she would get.

Theft/embezzlement/fraud.. is it also inappropriate behaviour in public office? I think 18months isn't bad considering she will probably get early release. 

Roxy Hearts

The msm will be frothing at the mouth. The usual suspects will be out in force with their SNP bad! 

Trapper John McIntyre

She stole from the poorest in society, showed no remorse and blamed everyone else. A great example of the type of riff-raff the SNP employ as MP's/MSP's.

Can't wait for the Salmond trial. He and Nippy must be shitting themselves.

Not enough pop corn.

55 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

She stole from the poorest in society, showed no remorse and blamed everyone else. A great example of the type of riff-raff the SNP employ as MP's/MSP's.

Not enough pop corn.

Hmmm,   yeah.    Like it's only SNP politicians who get caught with their fingers in the till.    Jonathan Aitken and Jim Devine... the two well known nationalists.

2 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

The msm will be frothing at the mouth. The usual suspects will be out in force with their SNP bad! 

I don’t think anyone will have to try too hard to spin a negative story about the SNP when someone, who was at the time of the crime an SNP MP, is jailed for stealing money from food bank charities so she can go on holiday. 

Roxy Hearts
4 minutes ago, Zico said:

I don’t think anyone will have to try too hard to spin a negative story about the SNP when someone, who was at the time of the crime an SNP MP, is jailed for stealing money from food bank charities so she can go on holiday. 

She deserves everything she gets but it's the hypocrisy of some who know it happens with other politicians. It's the SNP so it's very, very, very, very, very bad. London produces the most unscrupulous bunch of people on the planet and it's all just seen as buffoonery and public school boy japes. The msm and journalists, ahem, in the UK need a wee look on their mirrors. 

15 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

She deserves everything she gets but it's the hypocrisy of some who know it happens with other politicians. It's the SNP so it's very, very, very, very, very bad. London produces the most unscrupulous bunch of people on the planet and it's all just seen as buffoonery and public school boy japes. The msm and journalists, ahem, in the UK need a wee look on their mirrors. 

The stories of Fiona Onasanya, Chris Huhne, Jeffrey Archer, Jim Devine, Jonathan Aitken  etc were all over the papers and I don’t think any of them were portrayed in a positive light. Understandably so - like McGarry, they’re all criminals. 

Roxy Hearts
2 hours ago, Zico said:

The stories of Fiona Onasanya, Chris Huhne, Jeffrey Archer, Jim Devine, Jonathan Aitken  etc were all over the papers and I don’t think any of them were portrayed in a positive light. Understandably so - like McGarry, they’re all criminals. 

It's amplified more when it's the SNP. They tarnish the whole party when there's any issue. 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

8 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Not enough pop corn.

Wow.

4 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It's amplified more when it's the SNP. They tarnish the whole party when there's any issue. 

It's amplified in Scotland because they're the party of government. See also: The Tories in the 90s.

10 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

As someone who’s not party political, that sounds like paranoia to me. 

Roxy Hearts
8 minutes ago, Zico said:

As someone who’s not party political, that sounds like paranoia to me. 

You think the msm is fair and impartial? 

33 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

You think the msm is fair and impartial? 

They all have editorial agendas. The idea that they’re all out to get the SNP is, frankly, ridiculous. 

21 minutes ago, Zico said:

They all have editorial agendas. The idea that they’re all out to get the SNP is, frankly, ridiculous. 

In the past it was essential Labour v Conservative and papers aligned themselves as they saw fit.

Now the SNP is the dominant political party in Scotland and aside from a new publication, The National, I don't think  there is one newspaper in Scotland that "supports" the SNP, in the same way as newspapers back the Tories or Labour.

With regards to this topic, McGarry quite rightly has been imprisoned.  Unlike previous examples of politicians improprieties though, I doubt very much McGarry will be welcomed back into the fold.

28 minutes ago, Boris said:

In the past it was essential Labour v Conservative and papers aligned themselves as they saw fit.

Now the SNP is the dominant political party in Scotland and aside from a new publication, The National, I don't think  there is one newspaper in Scotland that "supports" the SNP, in the same way as newspapers back the Tories or Labour.

With regards to this topic, McGarry quite rightly has been imprisoned.  Unlike previous examples of politicians improprieties though, I doubt very much McGarry will be welcomed back into the fold.

Important part in bold. The ‘power’ of the “hated mainstream media”, to pinch one of St Jezza’s comical soundbites, is vastly overstated in the modem age and usually used by supporters of the SNP, Labour and  Tories to fuel their grievances.

I find the idea that the editor of the Scotsman (with a circulation roughly the same as Fly Fishing Monthly) is conspiring to stretch out or exaggerate a story about an SNP MP stealing from food bank charities so she can go to Spain, laughable. 

2 minutes ago, Zico said:

Important part in bold. The ‘power’ of the “hated mainstream media”, to pinch one of St Jezza’s comical soundbites, is vastly overstated in the modem age and usually used by supporters of the SNP, Labour and  Tories to fuel their grievances.

I find the idea that the editor of the Scotsman (with a circulation roughly the same as Fly Fishing Monthly) is conspiring to stretch out or exaggerate a story about an SNP MP stealing from food bank charities so she can go to Spain, laughable. 

They (the print media in Scotland) were quick enough to put the boot into Michelle Thomson!

As it is, I've no qualms about McGarry getting what she deserves.  None at all.  But to tar the SNP and its representatives with the same brush, which is what happens by inference, is a bit off.

The Tory councillor husband seems to been implicated in some form to where some of this money went (holiday).    By her lawyer's own words,   the family finances are in a hell of a state.     I wonder whether he should be the subject of investigation.   

"David Meikle still heads Glasgow City Council's finance and audit scrutiny committee".     

Despite her embezzled cash paying off his credit card payment for their holiday in Spain.

:vrface:

Upon resigning as Tory group leader...

"I look forward to continuing to scrutinise the SNP administration in Glasgow as they lurch from crisis to crisis... ".

:cornette:

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Upon resigning as Tory group leader...

"I look forward to continuing to scrutinise the SNP administration in Glasgow as they lurch from crisis to crisis... ".

:cornette:

:rofl:some balls that pair. Her whole family sob story in court was something else too. Pair of crooks. 

**** it,   why should it not be considered...

A current pregnancy seems like an advantageous thing to have had in order to provide mitigation against a custodial sentence.    

jack D and coke

McGarry has got her just deserts I have no sympathy like I’ll have zero sympathy for Salmond if he’s guilty but the usual dafties salivating over it are embarrassing themselves. Shock :lol: 

I go back to the indyref when I read someone liken unionists to footballers like Neymar. Try to make everyone out on that side of the argument look a loony and a scumbag. The slightest touch and they’re rolling about on the floor exaggerating the contact. 

Edited by jack D and coke

57 minutes ago, Victorian said:

**** it,   why should it not be considered...

A current pregnancy seems like an advantageous thing to have had in order to provide mitigation against a custodial sentence.    

Have a bash but glad the judge thought it irrelevant, as well as the whole...I’ve got a young child, my husband has to work two jobs sob story...cry me a river. Should’ve maybe thought about that before stealing from food bank charities.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Have a bash but glad the judge thought it irrelevant, as well as the whole...I’ve got a young child, my husband has to work two jobs sob story...cry me a river. Should’ve maybe thought about that before stealing from food bank charities.

Yeah I’m in total agreement here. She tried to do what a lot of women do and play the fairer sex card and expected the judge to let her off. 

Get it right roond her. 

43 minutes ago, Zico said:

No I agree with you.    It seems to me to be curious she was pregnant (would have been but for the miscarriage) at the time of sentencing.    

53 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Just read the report in the Times and she is still saying she's innocent?

Yes

She pled guilty but then tried to change it.

Wonder what her defence is. 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

No I agree with you.    It seems to me to be curious she was pregnant (would have been but for the miscarriage) at the time of sentencing.    

I never even thought about the convenient timing - and I’m pretty cynical! Surely even they two couldn’t be that conniving. Although given the obvious lack of morals on both sides, perhaps not. 

It's just astonishing that a household comprising of the salary of an MP and of a councillor can be so bad as to necessitate this theft.    A pair of utter arseholes.

millerjames398
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Obviously the spectre of this case hanging over her, it didn't stop her old fellas arse goin like a fiddlers elbow in the weeks leadin up to the case?,,or she was talking shite to garner sympathy either way its back fired spectacularly...

12 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Obviously the spectre of this case hanging over her, it didn't stop her old fellas arse goin like a fiddlers elbow in the weeks leadin up to the case?,,or she was talking shite to garner sympathy either way its back fired spectacularly...

Boy was trying to cram in as much Nat King before she went off grid?

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Deserves to be in jail. 

Got to disagree Dave. Think its a grossly disproportionate sentence that has made sure everyone involved with that case loses. 

Reputation? Ruined.

Career? Ruined. 

Family? Ruined. 

Not a chance McGarry will ever be in a position of trust again (and rightly so). I think though, too many people are revelling in what is essentially a daughter losing her mother for 18 months. It was non-violent, the risk of re-offending is minimal. A community payback order would have been sufficient alongside a lifetime ban from holding any sort of position of authority in an organisation. 

I think the statement from one of the embezzled parties - WomenforIndy(?) was very classy and sums up the what should have been the outcome. 

Reading the judge attempting to try and justify a custodial sentence was utterly pathetic. Hopefully this gets fixed on appeal because this isn't the sort of avenue we should be going down in this country. I'd rather we left the yanks to farcical sentences.

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Got to disagree Dave. Think its a grossly disproportionate sentence that has made sure everyone involved with that case loses. 

Reputation? Ruined.

Career? Ruined. 

Family? Ruined. 

Not a chance McGarry will ever be in a position of trust again (and rightly so). I think though, too many people are revelling in what is essentially a daughter losing her mother for 18 months. It was non-violent, the risk of re-offending is minimal. A community payback order would have been sufficient alongside a lifetime ban from holding any sort of position of authority in an organisation. 

I think the statement from one of the embezzled parties - WomenforIndy(?) was very classy and sums up the what should have been the outcome. 

Reading the judge attempting to try and justify a custodial sentence was utterly pathetic. Hopefully this gets fixed on appeal because this isn't the sort of avenue we should be going down in this country. I'd rather we left the yanks to farcical sentences.

A load of unmitigated pish.    Here's some reasons why.

There must always be a serious deterrent against serious criminality.

No remorse whatsoever has been offered.

High office bearers must always be held to account to higher standards.

There IS a risk of re-offending in this case.   Even with the custodial sentence being served.     There is no evidence to suggest that this woman recognises the seriousness of her crime and is prepared to rehabilitate herself.     Trying to pull a fast one by attempting to withdraw a guilty plea at a late stage,   in conjunction with the highly compelling evidence to support the verdict,   clearly demonstrates her devious character.

Sentence is correct.