Museum and Memorial Garden Opening

Footballfirst

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/5403

The eagerly anticipated brand new Hearts Museum launches tomorrow evening at Tynecastle with the doors opening to the public this Friday morning at 10am.

Ann Budge will host a number of invited guests and ex-Hearts players and managers at the launch event on Thursday night and after many months of hard work, the Hearts Museum ? This Is Our Story, This Is Our Song will officially throw open its doors the following morning.

The list of guests to have seen the museum this week include the following, Jim Brown, Derek O Connor, Neil McCann, Gordon Marshall, John Colquhoun, Gary Naismith, Gary Locke, Colin Cameron, Scott Crabbe, Jimmy Sandison, Henry Smith, Dave McPherson, Darren Jackson, Alan McLaren, Freddie Glidden, Scott Severin, Alan Preston, Dave Clunie and Graham Shaw.

The stunning museum has been extensively researched by Hearts own museum curator Caroline Mathers and an incredibly knowledgeable team of Hearts historians over the last 18 months. It  tells the story of the club?s history since its inception in 1874 in words, artefacts and video and entry is entirely free to the public with a donations only policy.

Situated in the Gorgie Stand, fans can access it directly from Gorgie Road. Parking will be available in front of the club shop excepting match days.

The stunning Memorial Garden at Hearts also opens on the same day on Friday with opening hours mirroring that of the museum*. The Memorial Garden is also free to enter for the public.

The Museum and the Memorial Garden will be open from this Friday 23rd at 10am to 4pm.

The Museum only will be open on match-days from 10am -12pm (unless there is a lunch-time kick-off). The Memorial Garden is unable to be open on match-days due to security logistics.

The Museum and the Memorial Garden will open both be open as follows;

Thursday 10am ? 4pm

Friday       10am ? 4pm

Saturday 10am ? 4pm (Non match-days)

Sunday    12pm ? 4pm

*Unfortunately the Memorial Garden is unable to be open on match-days due to security logistics. Opening times may be subject to change but will be updated on Hearts' social media platforms if this is the case.

Edited by Footballfirst

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts Heritage

• davemclaren

• scott herbertson

• Jambo 4 Ever

image.png

Can't wait to visit this! 

The entrance sign/banner is quite underwhelming though. I like what it says, but the design is quite plain and dull. They should've used the old badges either side and laid the text out differently.

Better look more exciting on the inside...

Tremendous news. Memorial garden is superb. Knowing some of the people behind the museum i am convinced that will be superb too.

Been looking forward to going along to see the new museum & memorial garden. Done the stadium tour a couple of times with my old man, will be good to see what they've done re the museum, and the memorial garden looks classy yet understated. Gonna pop along to see both soon.

Francis Albert

image.png

Can't wait to visit this! 

The entrance sign/banner is quite underwhelming though. I like what it says, but the design is quite plain and dull. They should've used the old badges either side and laid the text out differently.

Better look more exciting on the inside...

Looks smart and nicely understated to me.

Historic badges belong inside the museum not on the entrance sign.

Can't wait to see this. My Grandad is a former cup winning player and can't wait to see his photo up.

That is incredible and will be quite moving, knowing that his legacy is there ?

August Landmesser

Free entry as well, which the club didn't have to do and is a great gesture. Looking forward to seeing it

Absolutely buzzing to see this and take the mrs round. When my boys are old enough to understand it all they'll be getting shown round also. Tremendous.

Only thing i'd change would be the white, too much white it makes it look a bit dull and bland. Maroon is the colour.

Other than that it looks like theres lots to see and loads of memories to be rekindled.

Great call to make this free entry. Most people will donate ?5/?10 a time which is more than we would ever get charging for it.

Looks amazing.

I donated a couple of items and received a letter to say that they would use them but I believe because of the amount of stuff handed in that they will update the museum regularly by rotating items. Anyway some of the pictures of the set up look brilliant.

PS I would like to have seen Hearts have a glass case near the exit for donations like museum/botanics even just to help with the running costs of the museum. I'm sure most Hearts fans would happily bung in a couple of quid.

Edited by Ray the auld git

Be a great thing to take prospective signings round 

I think the entire stadium will be one of the best around by this time next year to show to prospective signings. Fantastic new main stand fitted with all mod cons, hospitality suites, shop, ticket office etc; a community training pitch with changing facilities in the Wheatfield with potentially a supporters club bar too; a club museum and the memorial garden. I honestly think it'll surpass any other club of our size in terms of overall stadium features.

Look at Aberdeen - who would sign for them after being shown around the dump that is Shittodrie, with views of a graveyard and 10,000 seagulls? 

I think the entire stadium will be one of the best around by this time next year to show to prospective signings. Fantastic new main stand fitted with all mod cons, hospitality suites, shop, ticket office etc; a community training pitch with changing facilities in the Wheatfield with potentially a supporters club bar too; a club museum and the memorial garden. I honestly think it'll surpass any other club of our size in terms of overall stadium features.

Look at Aberdeen - who would sign for them after being shown around the dump that is Shittodrie, with views of a graveyard and 10,000 seagulls?

When you put it like that and have a think about it: :pleasing:

Ok let me start by saying the few pictures I have seen it looks fantastic.

However are the opening times stated correct?

The opening times just on match days between 10-12 am?

I understand the cost of funding staff but surely this should be open to the public daily to help promote the club.

Francis Albert

Ok let me start by saying the few pictures I have seen it looks fantastic.

However are the opening times stated correct?

The opening times just on match days between 10-12 am?

I understand the cost of funding staff but surely this should be open to the public daily to help promote the club.

The OP gives the opening times, which if correct seem pretty reasonable to me.

The OP gives the opening times, which if correct seem pretty reasonable to me.

Ah should read the thread from start to finish the evening news website has it just being open from 10-12.

Quite nice to hear that a friend of mines dad who had concerns regarding wheelchair access will get to see the museum along with other wheelchair bound supporters.

Knowing it was down the steep steps at the Gorgie Rosd end, my mates mum asked Hearts about it on Facebook apparently. They got straight back to her this afternoon saying that there is a new lift for wheelchairs and just to email prior to going and they will help out etc.

Nice of them to put take the time to be so helpful to them. The club seems to be quite good at putting in the effort with individual supporters.

:clap:

Quite nice to hear that a friend of mines dad who had concerns regarding wheelchair access will get to see the museum along with other wheelchair bound supporters.

Knowing it was down the steep steps at the Gorgie Rosd end, my mates mum asked Hearts about it on Facebook apparently. They got straight back to her this afternoon saying that there is a new lift for wheelchairs and just to email prior to going and they will help out etc.

Nice of them to put take the time to be so helpful to them. The club seems to be quite good at putting in the effort with individual supporters.

For a long time now, Hearts have been brilliant for disabled supporters. One of the best in Scotland (along with Falkirk). Glad the museum is keeping this up.

We all ( as in jkb ) provided the funds for the wheelchair lift.

We all ( as in jkb ) provided the funds for the wheelchair lift.

I did have a feeling that had been the case. Thought it might have been the shareholders assoc though.

Well done to jkb.

queensferryjambo

I thought it was a Puffin !

It is.

Here is an older photo of said Puffin when it was in the Directors Lounge. 

Possibly still there?

DSC04548%202_zpskokfayki.jpg

Hearts Heritage

Opens today from 10 to 4.

I'll be there tomorrow from 10 to 12

And on Sunday from 12-4

Every object has a story that we will be able to tell you about.