"Revolting against austerity"

i8hibsh

But they pay taxes. The crux of your argument is that they don't pay taxes. But they do. Nothing tenuous about it.

I think his point is if they are living on benefits or whatever then they aren't contributing to the public purse by "paying tax"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone said that "Austerity" is just a posh word for transferring money and power from those who need it the most into the pockets of the already rich in order to make them even more richer and more powerful.

A wealthy man's con.

Sounds about right to me. Rich folk make a complete arse of the planets finances and then sit back and let everyone else pay for it through an Austerity programme forced upon the people who really need the help in the first place.

I have never been unemployed but that could all change tomorrow. We are supposed to have a safety net in this country. That's why our older generation fought in the wars and suffered the depression afterwards. The NHS and National Insurance were invented so folk could get medical attention, dole money and a pension etc.

I seem to recall the bankers awarding themselves millions of pounds in bonuses less than 12 months after the crash and the rest of the UK got the bedroom tax and benefit cuts etc.

And then someone on here complains that some wretched souls brave the Scottish weather to protest about it! 

Not enough of these mate  :facepalm:

Folk just arguing with I8 because it's I8. A bunch of dossers aren't a bunch of dossers because I8 said they were.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Folk just arguing with I8 because it's I8. A bunch of dossers aren't a bunch of dossers because I8 said they were.

I think it is folk facepalming at i8 more than anything.

You have to question their motives. The reality is that they probably care as much or as little about a new/old library than you or I do. To them, it is just something for them to validate their laziness with.

Someone said that "Austerity" is just a posh word for transferring money and power from those who need it the most into the pockets of the already rich in order to make them even more richer and more powerful.

A wealthy man's con.

Sounds about right to me. Rich folk make a complete arse of the planets finances and then sit back and let everyone else pay for it through an Austerity programme forced upon the people who really need the help in the first place.

I have never been unemployed but that could all change tomorrow. We are supposed to have a safety net in this country. That's why our older generation fought in the wars and suffered the depression afterwards. The NHS and National Insurance were invented so folk could get medical attention, dole money and a pension etc.

I seem to recall the bankers awarding themselves millions of pounds in bonuses less than 12 months after the crash and the rest of the UK got the bedroom tax and benefit cuts etc.

And then someone on here complains that some wretched souls brave the Scottish weather to protest about it!

Not enough of these mate :facepalm:

So protesting about a lack of money spent on public services by sleeping in a tent on public land, messing up said public land, not contributing to the upkeep of this land or any public service is to be applauded how? You don't see this as counter productive? I bet the ghastly bankers contribute A LOT MORE to public services than these dossers.

We live in an age of blame culture. These failures in life want to blame anything or anyone for them being diddly squat in life. Remember the excuses after the London riots that were getting thrown around? It is the government's fault that the youth of today have no hope blah blah. Yeah like it is the government's fault they can't get a job, nothing to do with them being no good criiminals.

:facepalm:

Fact: I did more for public services and 'austerity' today than the Cowgate dossers.

You have to question their motives. The reality is that they probably care as much or as little about a new/old library than you or I do. To them, it is just something for them to validate their laziness with.

Trying too hard to be controversial. 

Governor Tarkin

i8 having another mare.

I expect future responses to get progressively angrier, then even more absurd.

:lol:

I bow to your powers of clairvoyance.

So protesting about a lack of money spent on public services by sleeping in a tent on public land, messing up said public land, not contributing to the upkeep of this land or any public service is to be applauded how? You don't see this as counter productive? I bet the ghastly bankers contribute A LOT MORE to public services than these dossers.

We live in an age of blame culture. These failures in life want to blame anything or anyone for them being diddly squat in life. Remember the excuses after the London riots that were getting thrown around? It is the government's fault that the youth of today have no hope blah blah. Yeah like it is the government's fault they can't get a job, nothing to do with them being no good criiminals.

Fact: I did more for public services and 'austerity' today than the Cowgate dossers.

Someone also said something about arguing with an idiot...

Someone also said something about arguing with an idiot...

At least they are my own arguments and opinions. Something that you rarely are able to have. Banker bashing eh? Baaaa Baaaaa. Next up Thatcher no doubt.

At least they are my own arguments and opinions. Something that you rarely are able to have. Banker bashing eh? Baaaa Baaaaa. Next up Thatcher no doubt.

They arent tbh. You hear exactly the same from certain types. The only 'original' thought is the story you put to frame it but even that echoes the same from others.

Tourism and finance are what the Edinburgh economy relies on most. The more tourists obviously means more money in our economy (Edinburgh). The demand for tourist accommodation far exceeds the demand for libraries like it or not. A few years ago they built a huge state of the art library at Drumbrae and it is dead. The one at Fountain park (Dalry) is dead. During the festival period in Edinburgh tourists are resorting to spend a night in people?s homes via that ghastly air b?n?b. There is simply not enough rooms to meet demand. 15,000 Welsh come up every 2 years and struggle to find rooms. The internet effectively killed the library as we know it. The world is changing and the best thing to do is move with the times. If some people had our way we would still be on our knees mining for coal and dying at 45.

The Drumbrae library dead? Not when I go. You sure you're in the right library?

Governor Tarkin

He's not seen the inside of a library since he was a sponging student.

He's not seen the inside of a library since he was a sponging student.

Why would I go to a library?  I went a couple of years ago to use the internet a couple of times but why would I possibly go now?  Do you think it makes you smarter?  I buy books from shops as I hate reading a book that has had other people's hands and germs on it and I get pretty much all other info from the internet.

Off topic however,  I did  love the local mobile library that came to your area as a kid - got excited every Tuesday knowing it was coming.  Them and ice cream vans

:sob:

Bridge of Djoum

If by library you meant McDonald's, then..............

Why would I go to a library?  I went a couple of years ago to use the internet a couple of times but why would I possibly go now?  Do you think it makes you smarter?  I buy books from shops as I hate reading a book that has had other people's hands and germs on it and I get pretty much all other info from the internet.

Well, not everyone can afford to go out and buy a book when they feel like it.  I doubt many would fork out c.?60 every three weeks on books.

Your reasons for not wanting to borrow seem slightly OCD, but that is your prerogative.  That doesn't mean that all people feel that way, in fact millions of books are borrowed from public libraries across the uk each year, which suggests demand.

Public libraries also offer other types of services other than simply lending books.  As a neutral space in the community many have rooms that can be booked by local groups to pursue their interests, local councillors may use them for surgeries.  You mentioned accessing the internet and naturally public libraruies were central to then People's Network.  Their ICT facilities also allow drop in classes to be held for those less well versed in the use of technology, so providing this helps educate parts of the population that may otherwise be left behind in the wake of the "digital revolution".

Encouraging young children to read from an early age is also a good thing and has been linked to academic success (http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/news/5560_study_provides_evidence_that_reading_for_pleasure_boosts_children_s_academic_performance) so yet again another invaluable service.

Public libraries also support entrepreneurs by giving them access to business analysis and data, market reports and the like that would normally cost a corporate client thousands of pounds, so they are contributing to the economy as well.

Whether you wish to use a public library is your own choice, but because you don't want to, doesn't mean others won't.  

Going by your posts you come across as rather an insular, closed minded person and that's fair enough.  But yours, like mine, is only one opinion amongst many.  Sadly, in some cases I fear your brand has some traction, but then that is to be expected as our society decays further.

Well, not everyone can afford to go out and buy a book when they feel like it.  I doubt many would fork out c.?60 every three weeks on books.

Your reasons for not wanting to borrow seem slightly OCD, but that is your prerogative.  That doesn't mean that all people feel that way, in fact millions of books are borrowed from public libraries across the uk each year, which suggests demand.

Public libraries also offer other types of services other than simply lending books.  As a neutral space in the community many have rooms that can be booked by local groups to pursue their interests, local councillors may use them for surgeries.  You mentioned accessing the internet and naturally public libraruies were central to then People's Network.  Their ICT facilities also allow drop in classes to be held for those less well versed in the use of technology, so providing this helps educate parts of the population that may otherwise be left behind in the wake of the "digital revolution".

Encouraging young children to read from an early age is also a good thing and has been linked to academic success (http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/news/5560_study_provides_evidence_that_reading_for_pleasure_boosts_children_s_academic_performance) so yet again another invaluable service.

Public libraries also support entrepreneurs by giving them access to business analysis and data, market reports and the like that would normally cost a corporate client thousands of pounds, so they are contributing to the economy as well.

Whether you wish to use a public library is your own choice, but because you don't want to, doesn't mean others won't.  

Going by your posts you come across as rather an insular, closed minded person and that's fair enough.  But yours, like mine, is only one opinion amongst many.  Sadly, in some cases I fear your brand has some traction, but then that is to be expected as our society decays further.

Boris, sorry buddy but you seem to think I am anti-libraries.  I like libraries and I am glad they exist.  They serve a very good purpose.  I personally have no use for them but that matters not in the grand scheme of things.  You are correct in your comments about OCD ? I have been plagued with this my entire life.

All I am saying is that I personally think there is a sufficient amount of libraries in Edinburgh as it is and I feel building a hotel serves more of a purpose to the direction this city is going in.  When I was at school I?d spend a lot of time in the Blackhall library ? loved it. This was of course pre the digital age.  I imagine libraries lose a lot of money though and I am sure if you take all the fines due for overdue books over the past 40 years you could build 5 libraries. 

This is a modern world, with modern demands and you simply can?t be nostalgic or romantic in my opinion.  Job creation and income revenue is far more important to this city than a place for someone to go and borrow a book to read. 

This is a modern world, with modern demands and you simply can?t be nostalgic or romantic in my opinion. Job creation and income revenue is far more important to this city than a place for someone to go and borrow a book to read.

Nostalgia and romance are part of the reason Edinburgh has so many tourists.

Nostalgia and romance are part of the reason Edinburgh has so many tourists.

Yes but you must know I don't mean that.  I am talking about things from an economic perspective.

Yes but you must know I don't mean that. I am talking about things from an economic perspective.

Your economic perspective is one sided and short-sighted. Why does Edinburgh have a giant festival? Is it because it has hotels? Or is is because it is a city with a world renowned reputation built on literature, education, philosophy, architecture, history and beauty?

Perhaps the preservation, maintenance and improvement of the public institutes and public places which helped create this Edinburgh (and make it the reason tourists flock there) is seen by some as the imperative fabric of the very essence of the city. When you start to erode away at these things you take away it's very being - and thus it's attraction. The fact Edinburgh has a large library in the centre is part of why Edinburgh isn't a vacuous and cultureless destination.

An extension of your economic logic is that the Meadows should be used as land for new hotels. At present it is used only by freeloaders walking their dogs and playing football.

As an aside you were the only one being nostalgic about libraries, Boris and others pointed out the important role they provide today.

God I love I8 threads, even though he has been on my ignore list for ages I still get to laugh at him through the wonder of quotes.

So glad so many posters have called him out for what he is, and that the usual suspects are backing him up

I'm on ignore yet he is attracted to my posts like an insect to a flickering light.

I hate Keith Lemon, so do you know what I do DP? I don't effing watch him!

GlasgoJambo - you forgot the other freeloaders on the Meadows i.e. the tennis players and the kids who use the playground.

I think he needs to look up the definition of 'freeloader' if you ask me.  Just for him:

freeloader
?fri?l??d?/
noun
informal

1. a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

freeloadernoun [ C ]  UK ? /?fri??l??.d?r/ US ? /?fri??lo?.d?/ disapproving

?

person who uses moneyfood, a room in a house, etc. given by other people, but who gives nothing to them in exchange

I work hard and pay for the upkeep of this city and for all the services it provides me.   I shall play football at the Meadows if I see fit.

It is ok though, Davie fae Drylaw who mooches of the the taxpayer every day as can't be ****ed working bought a Twix and a can of Tizer today so effectively is a tax payer and pays his way.

Malcolm Tucker

I find it funny that i8 chastises people for not having original thoughts and opinions like himself, but then chucks out Daily Mail rhetoric that demonizes 'benefit cheats' as the worst people in the country.

I find it funny that i8 chastises people for not having original thoughts and opinions like himself, but then chucks out Daily Mail rhetoric that demonizes 'benefit cheats' as the worst people in the country.

Ah the good old Daily Mail bashing.

1. From memory I have never read the Daily Mail in my life - I have certainly never bought a copy.

2. See above for 90% of those that use it as a lazy example to call someone out on being 'far right'

Malcolm Tucker

Ah the good old Daily Mail bashing.

1. From memory I have never read the Daily Mail in my life - I have certainly never bought a copy.

2. See above for 90% of those that use it as a lazy example to call someone out on being 'far right'

My point wasn't about centered around the Daily Mail, it was more towards you claiming you have original opinions and viewpoints. You don't, your points and opinions are actually incredibly common. Which is a bit of a shame in itself actually.

But then, that's just my opinion :)

My point wasn't about centered around the Daily Mail, it was more towards you claiming you have original opinions and viewpoints. You don't, your points and opinions are actually incredibly common. Which is a bit of a shame in itself actually.

But then, that's just my opinion :)

That is a very common opinion also lol

Ive worked all my life, with four kids, three of which are working, one at Uni. One kid had to fight depression but thanks to his determination is working steadily.

I feel I've done my bit for society and I still work as a sports instructor and I'm not asking for any recognition.

I wish those scum would seek help or piss off over to Weeg. If anyone wants to work, they can.

I am Katie Hopkins.

You have changed your tune.

During the referendum you were calling your out of work yes voting son a benefit scrounger.

I think people like you and the OP are sad people that are so full of anger that they are unable to evaluate life and events properly.

God I love I8 threads, even though he has been on my ignore list for ages I still get to laugh at him through the wonder of quotes.

So glad so many posters have called him out for what he is, and that the usual suspects are backing him up

To be fair to i8, he does force some people to actually formulate their position rather than just saying "yeah, let's protest against rich folk"

Governor Tarkin

Why would I go to a library? I went a couple of years ago to use the internet a couple of times but why would I possibly go now? Do you think it makes you smarter? I buy books from shops as I hate reading a book that has had other people's hands and germs on it and I get pretty much all other info from the internet.

Off topic however, I did love the local mobile library that came to your area as a kid - got excited every Tuesday knowing it was coming. Them and ice cream vans

So how do you know they're all dead?

Do you recieve regular reports from people inside libraries telling you there's nobody inside libraries?

And can you not think of any possible reason why another person (who is not you), may have for using a library?

Anything at all?

Aye, the mobile library was a highlight round my way until they eventually built one near the top of the hill next to the pub. Borrowed all of the Astrix and Enid Blyton books from there when I was a nipper, and a bunch of other stuff all the way through school. They'd probably have been better off saving the money and building a hotel though as I've still turned out a thick-as-pigshit, ignorant and socially inept b***ard.

Funny that.

So how do you know they're all dead?

Do you recieve regular reports from people inside libraries telling you there's nobody inside libraries?

And can you not think of any possible reason why another person (who is not you), may have for using a library?

Anything at all?

Aye, the mobile library was a highlight round my way until they eventually built one near the top of the hill next to the pub. Borrowed all of the Astrix and Enid Blyton books from there when I was a nipper, and a bunch of other stuff all the way through school. They'd probably have been better off saving the money and building a hotel though as I've still turned out a thick-as-pigshit, ignorant and socially inept b***ard.

Funny that.

You mean you don?t subscribe to ?The Edinburgh library Weekly? like me? It is a fascinating read, gives you all the info and has a pull out once a month.

Governor Tarkin

You mean you don?t subscribe to ?The Edinburgh library Weekly? like me? It is a fascinating read, gives you all the info and has a pull out once a month.

Is it the kind of pull out that you're likely to see on a car mechanics wall?

Might give it a birl.

Is it the kind of pull out that you're likely to see on a car mechanics wall?

Might give it a birl.

Is there any other kind at the end of the day.  Librarian hotties. Top notch totty.

Governor Tarkin

Is there any other kind at the end of the day. Librarian hotties. Top notch totty.

Ooft.

Yeh baby, I'm in.

I think he needs to look up the definition of 'freeloader' if you ask me. Just for him:

freeloader

?fri?l??d?/

noun

informal

•  

a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

freeloadernoun [ C ] UK

?

/?fri??l??.d?r/ US

?

/?fri??lo?.d?/ disapproving

?

a person who uses money, food, a room in a house, etc. given by other people, but who gives nothing to them in exchange

:lol:

Exactly, kids and students sponging of your taxes i8.

A wealthy man's con.

Not enough of these mate  :facepalm:

Fecking bang on.

We the public bailed out those bankers who royally fecked it  up with billions of tax payers money.

Nae Austerity aye.. mind you those that  use this place are just lazy work shy scroungers  eh.

The desperation of  the far right  to label all  those less better off as work shy is fecking tedious and down right contemptible.

Off topic however,  I did  love the local mobile library that came to your area as a kid - got excited every Tuesday knowing it was coming.  Them and ice cream vans

Hands and germs on it, ha ha, class bud, you make a valid point.

People that blame the Tories for their own life failures.

Nope.

Remember the defeat the Tories  suffered in the House Of Lords in their draconian and vile attempt at trying to cut benefits for those with physical disabilities , their attack on incapacity benefits and  those in real need. :vrface:

Ones own failure to even account for that defeat and what it meant for such people..  :facepalm:

People trying to defend such attacks on the needy and defending it with a sweeping generalisation of shifting the blame on ones life choices as the cause  for poverty and hardship.. :vrface:   

Most poor people I know seem to blame the government for everything including their financial difficulties.

Yet they smoke 20 fags a day. :lol:

Most poor people I know seem to blame the government for everything including their financial difficulties.

Yet they smoke 20 fags a day. :lol:

More generalisation, so you know a few poor people who smoke. :laugh4:

There is a direct link to this governments austerity cull of public services and welfare cuts  and the introduction of the bedroom tax.

The sheer unfairness is now beyond the pale as again this government has cut corporation tax.

In fact the Tories blocked a bid to halt their corporation tax cut despite being warned they could turn Britain into "the worlds next big immoral tax haven".

Corporation tax has plummeted from 28% to 17% in just under 10 years of Tory rule.This is despite crushing austerity that has hit those in work too.

They are engaging in a race to the bottom and that race will more than likely see Britain  as the worlds next big immoral tax heaven for the well off.

And this on the back of bankers awarding themselves huge bonuses after the banking bail out by the tax payer, aye you better believe the poor are blaming this rat pack of  Tories who are serving and catering for the corporate elite and multinationals. 

We all know were the 12 ?billion worth of austerity cuts should have come from, like from  corporation  taxes  and from companies like Amazon who are prime examples of tax evasion and not  from  cuts to public services and welfare.

Archived