Would you play for...

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

Would you play for Celtic Rangers?

I wouldn't , for the simple reason of what they stand for.

They are not football teams, but horrible institutions

It is a short career but I'd play for anyone else. Just like I wouldn't be a Tory MP, tobaco salesman or work in a slaughterhouse ( covering a few base's), I wouldn't play for these two.

Imagine trying to ignore the pro IRA or the orange bigoted songs as well as the anti Scottish sentiment, not for me. Would make me hate my self ( and my work), couldn't do it.

If I was foreign with no affiliation for Scotland or Hearts, might be easier, but if I was inclined one way or another would still be hard to stomach.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier in your career I think the majority of people would; more money and with Celtic better players to play beside and a better platform to progress your career. Near the end of your career if you had been successful those things may not matter as much.

I don't think the players care what the fans sing.

loveofthegame

Easy to say "no I wouldn't" as you sit behind your computer screen on JKB having probably been a fairly hopeless player.

I like to think I wouldn't but if they offered me double/triple what anyone else would.... hard to turn down.

****ing right I would, you'd be set up for life.

With rangers' recent signings, they're creeping closer to my age range too, I might still stand a chance

I think when you become a professional footballer, you have to be just that - PROFESSIONAL.

That means that you need to make rational choices including playing for the best salary deal, winning the most trophies, playing for the best teams, playing alongside the best players.  Unfortunately, in Scotland, that has tended to be one of the OF over the years.  There aren't too many fans who play for only one team (their team) all their career.  Well done to them but for most players that just doesn't happen.

We saw about 4 or 5 years ago, players signing for Rangers when it was for only one of the above reasons.  I'd always give pantomime abuse to Mike Galloway or Neil McCann when they come back to Tynie after signing for one of them - but I always know why they've made the move they did.

No. I was asked this nigh on 20yrs ago when I first started posting on KB. The answer was no then and the answer is no now. Regardless of what money was offered to me. I dislike what these two clubs represent with a passion. That is far greater to me than money. Sometimes a stance has to be made and I would have made that stance if the situation ever aror. In a nutshell I would have played for example St Johnstone for 2,000 pounds a week than either of the gruesome twosome for their 40,000 or 50,000 pounds a week.

It is a short career but I'd play for anyone else. Just like I wouldn't be a Tory MP, tobaco salesman or work in a slaughterhouse ( covering a few base's), I wouldn't play for these two.

Imagine trying to ignore the pro IRA or the orange bigoted songs as well as the anti Scottish sentiment, not for me. Would make me hate my self ( and my work), couldn't do it.

If I was foreign with no affiliation for Scotland or Hearts, might be easier, but if I was inclined one way or another would still be hard to stomach.

A Nonsense post by you.

We_are_the_Hearts

No. I was asked this nigh on 20yrs ago when I first started posting on KB. The answer was no then and the answer is no now. Regardless of what money was offered to me. I dislike what these two clubs represent with a passion. That is far greater to me than money. Sometimes a stance has to be made and I would have made that stance if the situation ever aror. In a nutshell I would have played for example St Johnstone for 2,000 pounds a week than either of the gruesome twosome for their 40,000 or 50,000 pounds a week.

Be quite selfish if you could earn that cash and set your family up for life.....?

I like to think that IF i had been good enough to play professionally and Celtic or Rangers wanted me, that would probably mean other clubs like Hearts would be interested as well. All theoretical - but if that was the case and I had a choice, I'd like to think I'd be happy on the wages other clubs could offer me without playing for one of those two brute ugly sisters

Okay as I say all theoretical - and maybe the wages on offer at say Hearts would be dwarfed by what the Old Firm could offer - but again I'd like to think somewhere in the UK someone would offer me something in between (if money was the driving factor).

Then again - if one of them offered me a 5k a week wage now, at my ages, my missues would MAKE me take the job even if it was to cut Griffiths' toe nails :D

Be quite selfish if you could earn that cash and set your family up for life.....?

No. Not at all. More to life than money. Not many seem to agree with that nowadays.

******* right, I would even play for Hibs.

On 5k a week it would take me just 6 weeks to make what I earn in a year.

Of course I'd have to score a few o.g against Hearts ;)

I currently work for scum bag, fat cat oil companies. I'm pretty sure I could stomach 90 mins every saturday for 10-20 grand a week :lol:

loveofthegame

Aye, right then, so you would have.

We_are_the_Hearts

No. Not at all. More to life than money. Not many seem to agree with that nowadays.

Cool, can you give me a grand at the next home game  :2thumbsup: Cheers

Playing a game of football can hardly be compared to gun running or bank jobs or some other unlawful activity.

Aye, right then, so you would have.

Yes I would have. I would never have signed for either as already stated and why.

I don't believe you. A footballers career lasts max 15 years. Are you honestly telling me you would settle for st Johnstone and 2k a week over 40k a week at the old firm? If that was your only two choices?

I don't believe you. A footballers career lasts max 15 years. Are you honestly telling me you would settle for st Johnstone and 2k a week over 40k a week at the old firm? If that was your only two choices?

Yes.

Absolute nonsense :rofl:

Bazzas right boot

A Nonsense post by you.

Just a bit discussion, no need to slag, add to the thread with your view, but saying my view is nonsense says more about you than me. 

I would play for literally any professional football team. Celtic and Rangers would need to pay me quite a lot mind, and I'd need to be sure that no other club in the world would match it. 

Me and my wife have walked away from well paid work, we're selling our house, she's now working in a coffeeshop, I hope to follow soon. We earn much much less than we used to, and our whole life's changing to reflect that.

But we hated or jobs, they made us unhappy, and it's the best choice we've ever made - no one needs to tell me there's more to life than money, I know that.

But if I enjoyed my job and got the chance to earn 5 months wages every week, working for a company I didn't like but knowing it can only possibly last a few years at most, I'd bite your hand off if that was the only option.

Is it? Why is that? Because I can't be bought?

Yes it is

You'd effectively not work for one set of employers (in the same industry as another) for a far nigher salary purely because you don't like what their supporters sing/stand for???

Bollox.

Just a bit discussion, no need to slag, add to the thread with your view, but saying my view is nonsense says more about you than me.

I suppose,The Jehovah's have openings for cold callers.Get in there

Bazzas right boot

Might have been clearer

As someone else alluded to, if Celtic and Rangers were after you, then you would have other options Hearts, Aberdeen, championship or league one sides. I would chose them all over the old firm.

Not about swapping my current salary for ?15k a week, its based on me already being a football player.

Didn't think that needed explained.

I'd take ?3k/?4k at Hearts over ?7k at them or if I was that good move down south over both and earn the same  or slightly less.

I'd never play for  them for what they stand for.

On ?2000 per week you could perhaps ensure a good future for yourself and your immediate offspring........perhaps.

On ?40-?50'000 per week you could secure future generations of your family if you were smart with your money.

Some folk talk utter pish on here :lol:

loveofthegame

Yes I would have. I would never have signed for either as already stated and why.

While I admire your stance, it is a bit like me stating that if Rihanna was to ask me to marry her, split her millions 50/50 and **** her 4x a day for the rest of our lives that I would turn her down.

Hypothetical nonsense that isn't ever going to happen makes it far easier to make such a sweeping statement.

Bazzas right boot

I suppose,The Jehovah's have openings for cold callers.Get in there

Don't understand, create a football discussion on a football forum and it ends up with statements like that, the mind boggles.

True story - my son asked me last night if I would play for Hibs for ?1bn a day....(he is only 12!). I said for ?1bn a day there was not much I wouldnt do....

Bazzas right boot

Me and my wife have walked away from well paid work, we're selling our house, she's now working in a coffeeshop, I hope to follow soon. We earn much much less than we used to, and our whole life's changing to reflect that.

But we hated or jobs, they made us unhappy, and it's the best choice we've ever made - no one needs to tell me there's more to life than money, I know that.

But if I enjoyed my job and got the chance to earn 5 months wages every week, working for a company I didn't like but knowing it can only possibly last a few years at most, I'd bite your hand off if that was the only option.

I've been through something like that, redundancy, taken a job on less money but much , much better in terms of lifestyle, pressure, happiness.

Obviously the ? difference is crucial, but if the OF wanted you then you would have other options, it wasn't like a choice of being homeless or playing for them, shame I had to explain that to some o  here.

You also have to take into account it would be the younger version of you being asked the question: the young lad in their 20s who lives to play football in front of big crowds and likes the lifestlye, and not the man in his 40s who sits in an office all day and is quite happy with his tedious lifestlye.

Don't understand, create a football discussion on a football forum and it ends up with statements like that, the mind boggles.

This whole post by you is not about a discussion but Clearly an Accumulation of your post tally.The Jehovah's openings are in Afghanistan by the way.

I'm starting to suspect he's in a Brewster's Millions type scenario where he's legally obliged to be a bit of a dick about it, whatever it is.

On ?2000 per week you could perhaps ensure a good future for yourself and your immediate offspring........perhaps.

On ?40-?50'000 per week you could secure future generations of your family if you were smart with your money.

Some folk talk utter pish on here :lol:

You'd earn about 1.5mill be the end of your career and that isn't much more than your average life salary :lol:

You'd earn over ?30mill in the above example for signing for one of the old firm but john who can't be bought would take his st johnstone salary thank you very much,

Lord Beni of Gorgie

While I admire your stance, it is a bit like me stating that if Rihanna was to ask me to marry her, split her millions 50/50 and **** her 4x a day for the rest of our lives that I would turn her down.

Hypothetical nonsense that isn't ever going to happen makes it far easier to make such a sweeping statement.

Tend to agree with you. The pure hypothesis of the thread makes it irrelevant unless aimed at professional footballers who mostly say yes

Tend to agree with you. The pure hypothesis of the thread makes it irrelevant unless aimed at professional footballers who mostly say yes

Everything's irrelevant, it's just a wee chat. Who would win in a fight between a flying bear and a giant wasp? Doesn't matter, but it's good bar chat

Everything's irrelevant, it's just a wee chat. Who would win in a fight between a flying bear and a giant wasp? Doesn't matter, but it's good bar chat

Is it a normal sized bear? Would the wasp sting be fatal?

michaeljambo22

Footballers have a short career so unless you have already made your millions i would play for who ever payed the most family comes first for me saying that i hate that mankey mob from Glasgow and glad ive not had to make that decision

Imagine trying to ignore the pro IRA or the orange bigoted songs as well as the anti Scottish sentiment, not for me. Would make me hate my self ( and my work), couldn't do it.

I would just as long as they are prepared to pay me a massive salary, I'd play for hubz if the salary was right.

I would have played for example St Johnstone for 2,000 pounds a week than either of the gruesome twosome for their 40,000 or 50,000 pounds a week.

Absolute pish.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Easy for people to say they would not play for the O/F when they have zero chance.

but if you got 12-15 years of a career and they are offering x5 to x20 more than your present wage you would be crazy not to.

If you where playing for Hearts at the time at least the transfer money would aid the club.

Archived