Dalian Atkinson

Locky

A crackin player. Remember him scoring in the League Cup final, early nineties. In fact he might've got two that day. Big Ron was their manager.

Still, awful news.

I wonder what he was doing that he police felt they needed to taper him?

Was literally just about to post this.  Any idea?

Would hazard a guess at a domestic.

Well he never really done much at International.

................I'll start the engine.

I wonder what he was doing that he police felt they needed to taper him?

Not doing as he was told? Probably numerous times.

Tasers are supposed to be a last resort, but too many cops use them as a matter of course.

You know in life when some random says something that they clearly couldnt be less qualified or placed to say or pass comment on...........

Tasers are supposed to be a last resort, but too many cops use them as a matter of course.

Trains are always late type remark IMO.

Regal Kingston

So many questions come from this;

Was using the taser the correct level of force required?

A big 6 foot drunk (allegedly) man stumbling towards you in the middle of the night not listening to your instructions (allegedly)

What would you do? 

Was it the last option of force they had - I would argue probably not but the easiest at the time

Would he have been tasered if he was white?

How excessive was the use of the taser?

And what was the mental and physical state of the victim?

Brutal that a mans dead though

Edited by Regal Kingston

Would he have been tasered if he was white?

Yes. Because this

A big 6 foot drunk (allegedly) man stumbling towards you in the middle of the night not listening to your instructions (allegedly)

Is what's important. Not the colour of the skin.

doctor jambo

Jeremy Corbyn voter speaks

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

A woman is saying she saw the police wade into him with boots flying. Surely to **** no.

That's what I read too. In fact, one of them was told to back off three times.

Dalian Atkinson had been on dialysis.

That's what I read too. In fact, one of them was told to back off three times.

Dalian Atkinson had been on dialysis.

The supposed eye witness to this was interviewed on BBC so it's a real claim. No others to back her up.

queensferryjambo

What terrible news. Ex footballer or not getting tasered by the police and then dying is just awful.

He was a great player for Villa. Think he scored in a cup final win against Man U back in the day.

Lincon Premier

If the kicking claim is correct then the body will be badly bruised and it will show up in autopsy. If however it's false then she has put herself in a shit load of harm.

Bazzas right boot

If someone says stop or I'll taser you, you should stop what your doing.

If he wasn't warned then fair enough, blame the law.

Maroon Sailor

Loved his goal and celebration against Wimbledon

The celebration was more to do with the fan who came on with the brolly

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

The supposed eye witness to this was interviewed on BBC so it's a real claim. No others to back her up.

It was the BBC site where I saw it. I suppose the truth will come out.

It all depends on the bottle of the officer in question. I've seen cops draw their taser and think why have you done that, then again I've seen them when they've not drawn it and wondered why not.

But when you've got a 6 foot plus body running at you, not listening and you've drawn, red dotted and is still not listening or complying with your instructions, what are you gonna do.

Have any of you tried restraining someone when they're high??? Not saying he was but genuine question.

Atkinson was good player at The Villa but thought he lost his way after he left there.

Doesn't matter how he died, parents shouldn't be burying their kids.

RIP big fella

If someone says stop or I'll taser you, you should stop what your doing.

If he wasn't warned then fair enough, blame the law.

He doesn't have to be issued a warning! If the officer in question believes that to issue a warning would only increase the risk to himself or others he can taser him without doing so. It all comes down to honest belief !

(I'm assuming the police work within roughly the same rules of engagement as the military in this sort of situation. Basing it on that )

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The witness was a middle aged Caucasian women. Can't see why she would lie unless it was a twisted 5 minutes of fame

The witness was a middle aged Caucasian women. Can't see why she would lie unless it was a twisted 5 minutes of fame

She claimed at first to have heard most of it rather than actually seeing it.. claims of him being kicked for example were her saying it sounded like a man being kicked repeatedly...of course since then the story has now been reported as seeing it all...even she admits though he had 'issues' and may have been drinking.

There's a back story to this which will come out in the fullness of time but it seems he was another footballer who fell on hard times. He had been made bankrupt and tried to strangle his father  which is why the police were called and shouts of 'I am the Messiah' were heard during the struggle

It's not a nice story and a family are left in mourning

Edited by CJGJ

Lord Beni of Gorgie

She claimed at first to have heard most of it rather than actually seeing it.. claims of him being kicked for example were her saying it sounded like a man being kicked repeatedly...of course since then the story has now been reported as seeing it all...even she admits though he had 'issues' and may have been drinking.

There's a back story to this which will come out in the fullness of time but it seems he was another footballer who fell on hard times.

Tragic. I would hope she has been truthful. Last thing the family will need is a soap opera caused by unnecessary interference

Just been speaking with a guy who used to run a boozer across the road from where this all happened.

Atkinson  had been on dialysis  for a long time - he says that is why he had to quit football (Atkinson  was 48, so not sure about that).

According to him Atkinson had tried to strangle his own father - I asked if drugs/drink  involved but he didn't know.

Tasered to death while strangling your da shouting i am the messiah. Sad end.

Would make an interesting headstone.

seriously though, RIP, sad times for the family.

Stephen Muddie

Shouldn't laugh but, that was funny :D Must've been good ames.........

You guys are laying this on a bit thick.

I don't think it's cool that police don't generally face proper investigation for murdering citizens. Very few choose to be such bellends here compared to the US, for example, that's what we can be thankful for. In this case, a taser would not constitute murder and sad as it may be for the officer in question and the guilt he or she may be feeling, the only question should be if it was necessary, not if or not he/she set out to kill or injure with the use of the device. The death may be seen as a side-effect (for want of a better term, an unfortunate and tragic accident). Neighbour saying officers were kicking him though which should never be happening. Rings bells of the black guy from Fife who was given rough treatment and died. Will do nothing for our society these types of events. I reckon a review of procedure will come from this and sincerely hope if so it's stuck to.

RIP Dalian.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

You guys are laying this on a bit thick.

I don't think it's cool that police don't generally face proper investigation for murdering citizens. Very few choose to be such bellends here compared to the US, for example, that's what we can be thankful for. In this case, a taser would not constitute murder and sad as it may be for the officer in question and the guilt he or she may be feeling, the only question should be if it was necessary, not if or not he/she set out to kill or injure with the use of the device. The death may be seen as a side-effect (for want of a better term, an unfortunate and tragic accident). Neighbour saying officers were kicking him though which should never be happening. Rings bells of the black guy from Fife who was given rough treatment and died. Will do nothing for our society these types of events. I reckon a review of procedure will come from this and sincerely hope if so it's stuck to.

RIP Dalian.

Mods surely this thread needs to be locked or at the very least moved???

• 3 years later...

Policeman charged with murder

from Daily Mail

A police officer has been charged with murdering former footballer Dalian Atkinson, who collapsed and later died after being Tasered in 2016.

The policeman, who has not been named by authorities, will appear in court today alongside another officer, who is charged with assault causing actual bodily harm.

Mr Atkinson was struck by a 50,000-volt shock after reportedly threatening his elderly father on the doorstep of the pensioner's home in Trench, Telford in August 2016.

The former Aston Villa striker, who was 48, went into cardiac arrest and died in hospital 90 minutes after the incident.

A witness claimed at the time that officers discharged their stun guns more than once during the confrontation, which took place in the street where he was raised

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Policeman charged with murder

from Daily Mail

A police officer has been charged with murdering former footballer Dalian Atkinson, who collapsed and later died after being Tasered in 2016.

The policeman, who has not been named by authorities, will appear in court today alongside another officer, who is charged with assault causing actual bodily harm.

Mr Atkinson was struck by a 50,000-volt shock after reportedly threatening his elderly father on the doorstep of the pensioner's home in Trench, Telford in August 2016.

The former Aston Villa striker, who was 48, went into cardiac arrest and died in hospital 90 minutes after the incident.

A witness claimed at the time that officers discharged their stun guns more than once during the confrontation, which took place in the street where he was raised

Cant say I remember this but how can you give the police tasers and then charge them with murder after they use them?! Tragedy all around. 

Just now, E6 Inc said:

Cant say I remember this but how can you give the police tasers and then charge them with murder after they use them?! Tragedy all around. 

Agreed, especially given that he apparently had a heart and other health issues.

2 hours ago, E6 Inc said:

You don't have to use them. Do u expect US police just to open fire, why give them guns and all that.

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You don't have to use them. Do u expect US police just to open fire, why give them guns and all that.

Yup, that's the critical point that a lot of people seem to miss. Armed police are supposed to use deadly force as a last resort, or if they are facing an immediately deadly threat to them or someone else. 

When they use the methods given to them appropriately, generally they are free from prosecution, however if they don't (shooting someone in the back as they run away from themfor example) then they are open to charges as would a normal member of the public be.