Youth Academy

123kid

There were some pockets of perspective and positivity towards the end of the McGhee thread.

It has raised the point about the overhaul of the academy. Are we assuming changes have been made based on quotes or have further explanations been given to exactly what has been done so far and what is to follow in the plan?

Jambof3tornado

Wow. Bumping your own thread.

Smacks of desperation.

Enough academy chat on other threads.

There were some pockets of perspective and positivity towards the end of the McGhee thread.

It has raised the point about the overhaul of the academy. Are we assuming changes have been made based on quotes or have further explanations been given to exactly what has been done so far and what is to follow in the plan?

There have been huge changes in the Academy in the last 12 months. TYhe coaching structure has dramatically changed with the introduction of ex pro's working alongside othe coaches to give the players a much better idea of what is required. The standard of coaching has improved as has the whole atmosphere around Riccarton.

Players are being given individual programs , they are being pushed to be better all the time and are being rewarded with games in older age groups. Hearts have quite  afew young boys in their u20's squad and that will continue this season, that isnt being done as a favour, it is being done becasue these kids have shown they have something different and need to be pushed to the next level to see how they cope.

Herats played the youngest player ever to appear in a Youth Cup Final this year, that is testament to the faith the coaches have in these boys and the supporters should trust these guys and also give these boys some time as well. I suppose it depends on the supporter, do you want the club producing players and getting them into the 1st team or do you want them to buy every year, I now what I would prefer.

There have been huge changes in the Academy in the last 12 months. TYhe coaching structure has dramatically changed with the introduction of ex pro's working alongside othe coaches to give the players a much better idea of what is required. The standard of coaching has improved as has the whole atmosphere around Riccarton.

Players are being given individual programs , they are being pushed to be better all the time and are being rewarded with games in older age groups. Hearts have quite afew young boys in their u20's squad and that will continue this season, that isnt being done as a favour, it is being done becasue these kids have shown they have something different and need to be pushed to the next level to see how they cope.

Herats played the youngest player ever to appear in a Youth Cup Final this year, that is testament to the faith the coaches have in these boys and the supporters should trust these guys and also give these boys some time as well. I suppose it depends on the supporter, do you want the club producing players and getting them into the 1st team or do you want them to buy every year, I now what I would prefer.

Good to hear. Also the intro of box soccer ir whatever it was called at the low age groups is progressive.

People want instant success but an overhaul of the academy is longterm strategy so patience/understanding is needed.

That said the stuff you've said in ur post along with a more focussed approach to scouting 16-19 year olds could see some benefits.

While its right to have structure etc it simply isn't a science. Some players just don't make the step up. For every Jamie Walker there are 20 Jamie Moles!

Good to hear. Also the intro of box soccer ir whatever it was called at the low age groups is progressive.

People want instant success but an overhaul of the academy is longterm strategy so patience/understanding is needed.

That said the stuff you've said in ur post along with a more focussed approach to scouting 16-19 year olds could see some benefits.

While its right to have structure etc it simply isn't a science. Some players just don't make the step up. For every Jamie Walker there are 20 Jamie Moles!

Youa re right. Every player cant make it, and the ones that do also need time. Sometimes in this country we right kids off far too quickly, and only look at the here and now, that is fine for 1st tema but for anything under that it is a long term strategy.

The Box Soccer is excellent with the young kids as it makes them comfortable on the bal, in tight situations and increases their ability to beat players, Coerver is my preference for this but at least the club is being pro active in working on players individual abilities rather than just a team ethic whic comes later.

I personally dont care about the results, it is nice to win but in the last couple of years I have watched our teams take  ahmmering from Celtic to closing the gap, to narrowly losing to them to hammering them 4-0 at Lennoxtown at u15's. All about progress and I have seen that. A few additions of players who have left other clubs for whatever reason will help as well.

The 20's play a lot of gamesat Stennie, they are worth going to watch as Hearts have the youngest squad in the league and based on what I have seen so far in pre season they are going to be really good to watch.

U17's are away to Ireland to playin The Foyle Cup as well, a very very good side who will produce some players for the club.

Unknown user

Youa re right. Every player cant make it, and the ones that do also need time. Sometimes in this country we right kids off far too quickly, and only look at the here and now, that is fine for 1st tema but for anything under that it is a long term strategy.

The Box Soccer is excellent with the young kids as it makes them comfortable on the bal, in tight situations and increases their ability to beat players, Coerver is my preference for this but at least the club is being pro active in working on players individual abilities rather than just a team ethic whic comes later.

I personally dont care about the results, it is nice to win but in the last couple of years I have watched our teams take ahmmering from Celtic to closing the gap, to narrowly losing to them to hammering them 4-0 at Lennoxtown at u15's. All about progress and I have seen that. A few additions of players who have left other clubs for whatever reason will help as well.

The 20's play a lot of gamesat Stennie, they are worth going to watch as Hearts have the youngest squad in the league and based on what I have seen so far in pre season they are going to be really good to watch.

U17's are away to Ireland to playin The Foyle Cup as well, a very very good side who will produce some players for the club.

I'd just like to say that sounds amazing and huge kudos to our director of football, who deserves some credit now and again

We_are_the_Hearts

I personally dont care about the results, it is nice to win but in the last couple of years I have watched our teams take ahmmering from Celtic to closing the gap, to narrowly losing to them to hammering them 4-0 at Lennoxtown at u15's. All about progress and I have seen that. A few additions of players who have left other clubs for whatever reason will help as well.

Not a fan of coerver. Seen coerver kids take too many touches when less would be the correct option and also see the pass too late if at all. Maybe just my experience. Box soccer is better for playing with the head up.

Footballfirst

You make a number of valid and positive observations. However I would urge caution when highlighting a single age group for praise. I know that other age groups have also been on the wrong end of heavy defeats.

We have been there before when we had as U20/19/18s Walker, Holt, Smith, Mullen, McHattie McKay / Hamilton, B King, Paterson, Carrick/ Nicholson, A King. That was pretty well a full team all of whom played for Scotland youth sides and have gone on to obtain contracts as senior players with Hearts or other clubs.

I too have high hopes for last season's U15s, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

We have also competed in and won the Foyle Cup at various age groups pre administration.

I'll wait for more evidence that the changes at Riccarton have delivered better quality players across the age groups before declaring them a success.

Sounds excellent. Will take 5+ years to see the real fruits however that is how it should be. Good to see there is no qualms over how things are being done - it will be worth the wait.

You make a number of valid and positive observations. However I would urge caution when highlighting a single age group for praise. I know that other age groups have also been on the wrong end of heavy defeats.

We have been there before when we had as U20/19/18s Walker, Holt, Smith, Mullen, McHattie McKay / Hamilton, B King, Paterson, Carrick/ Nicholson, A King. That was pretty well a full team all of whom played for Scotland youth sides and have gone on to obtain contracts as senior players with Hearts or other clubs.

I too have high hopes for last season's U15s, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

We have also competed in and won the Foyle Cup at various age groups pre administration.

I'll wait for more evidence that the changes at Riccarton have delivered better quality players across the age groups before declaring them a success.

I understand what you were saying, I was just highlighting that the 14's\15's had taken some heavy defeats but the coaches and the club stuck to their principles and ultimately that has shown what  a long term plan can do.

I think what is important is that the results arent....if the parents can understand that and keep relaying it to the kids the work the coaches are doing will make the kids better and the results will come.

The whole process will take time but even in a short time I have undoubtedly seen big leaps forward and that bodes well.

I think what is important is that the coaches are continually challenging the players, be it with a change of position or playing against older more experienced players, gives the kids probl;ems to solve and this will make them better players.

The atmosphere around Riccarton is good, the kids are always smiling, coahces have a laugh but also work them hard and with the new facilities becomeing available next month it means the kids will ahve the best in the country....the rest is down to them.

Diadora Van Basten

I watched Preston under 20s last year and they looked like they had a number of players ready to step up to senior football.

When I watched Hearts under 20s in the cup final v Motherwell they didn't look ready to step up. In particular we could do with under 20s players pushing the first teams in Left back, Goalkeeper and Striking positions but our players in these positions didn't look ready to step up.

Regarding our good under 15s I think that players at that age will struggle down to the lack of an under 16s team.

It is very difficult to give away a year to an older player at that age group as older players are taller, stronger and faster between the ages of 15 and 16. The players who do well are players who are physically developed early and are usually huddies by the time they reach 21.

jamboinglasgow

Players are being given individual programs , they are being pushed to be better all the time and are being rewarded with games in older age groups. Hearts have quite  afew young boys in their u20's squad and that will continue this season, that isnt being done as a favour, it is being done becasue these kids have shown they have something different and need to be pushed to the next level to see how they cope.

thanks for the info.

All I can add to this is what I have managed to gain from various places (such as the blogs on the HYDC site.)

The academy is split into three stages, the Foundation Program (targeting 7-10 year olds,) the junior academy (from 10-12, I think) and the academy.

The foundation program works by have promising youngsters training at the regional centres. There are some who will be signed to Hearts, while it also allows the club to network with parents of clubs who may not be ready for the academy now but the club will keep an eye on through the scouting network. While it is some coaching, the main emphasis is on fun and for the kids to play. So esstionally its about the club putting the early roots down and give promising young players a taste of the club and building good relationships with players and parents. Below is a link for a blog by the program co-coordinator.

http://hydc.co.uk/academy-news/academy-update-alan-sinclair-academy-foundation-programme-coordinator/

http://hydc.co.uk/academy-news/alan-sinclair-academy-foundation-programme-coordinator/

The player is then promoted after going through the foundation program to the junior academy. This is where the box soccer comes in. The aim at this age is to develop young players technical side both in physical technique but also intelligence. So not only do you have a play who can control and pass the ball excellently, but they also know what to do with the ball when they get it and how to use the space and movement. The players get feedback often and the coaches have 6 feedback meetings with the player and their parents each season. This allows them to discuss on areas they can work on but also allows parents to discuss things with the coach. Feedback is not just what can be worked on, it is also telling the player what they are doing well. So at the end of the junior academy period the player comes away being able to use a football properly and knowing how to handle themselves in game situations. Again below are two links with the academy's junior academy Manager.

http://hydc.co.uk/academy-news/academy-update-paul-thomson-junior-academy-manager/

http://hydc.co.uk/uncategorized/paul-thomson-junior-academy-manager/

The final stage of the academy is the full side, so this for players 13+. This is where the club focuses on the tactical side of the game and developing the players game knowledge. So by the end of the that they are ready to move on to the under 20s to be made ready for the first team.

Thats a brief overview from what I have seen written. If anyone knows of bits that are wrong please correct me.

thanks for the info.

All I can add to this is what I have managed to gain from various places (such as the blogs on the HYDC site.)

The academy is split into three stages, the Foundation Program (targeting 7-10 year olds,) the junior academy (from 10-12, I think) and the academy.

The foundation program works by have promising youngsters training at the regional centres. There are some who will be signed to Hearts, while it also allows the club to network with parents of clubs who may not be ready for the academy now but the club will keep an eye on through the scouting network. While it is some coaching, the main emphasis is on fun and for the kids to play. So esstionally its about the club putting the early roots down and give promising young players a taste of the club and building good relationships with players and parents. Below is a link for a blog by the program co-coordinator.

http://hydc.co.uk/academy-news/academy-update-alan-sinclair-academy-foundation-programme-coordinator/

http://hydc.co.uk/academy-news/alan-sinclair-academy-foundation-programme-coordinator/

The player is then promoted after going through the foundation program to the junior academy. This is where the box soccer comes in. The aim at this age is to develop young players technical side both in physical technique but also intelligence. So not only do you have a play who can control and pass the ball excellently, but they also know what to do with the ball when they get it and how to use the space and movement. The players get feedback often and the coaches have 6 feedback meetings with the player and their parents each season. This allows them to discuss on areas they can work on but also allows parents to discuss things with the coach. Feedback is not just what can be worked on, it is also telling the player what they are doing well. So at the end of the junior academy period the player comes away being able to use a football properly and knowing how to handle themselves in game situations. Again below are two links with the academy's junior academy Manager.

http://hydc.co.uk/academy-news/academy-update-paul-thomson-junior-academy-manager/

http://hydc.co.uk/uncategorized/paul-thomson-junior-academy-manager/

The final stage of the academy is the full side, so this for players 13+. This is where the club focuses on the tactical side of the game and developing the players game knowledge. So by the end of the that they are ready to move on to the under 20s to be made ready for the first team.

Thats a brief overview from what I have seen written. If anyone knows of bits that are wrong please correct me.

Not far off the mark....I've got a couple of good friends boys currently in the system and they have noticed the changes.. coaches have changed for example and not just as they move up the age ranges.

This is a long term plan which is everything a senior football club is not often good at given we are always in a 'results business'....the youth set up will see results but not for some time and patience is required. For example even if we allowed 5 years for a youngster to develop it'll still be 2020/21 before we see any results and how many times do things stay the same at a football club over such a long period of time

The approach has to be quality led and there will be years when the quality is not good enough, that will be the test of a system.

One other thing is the scouting for without that the club will be limited in what it can achieve ...there has been a radical overhaul as we had let many scouts go pre admin and those 'spotters' need to be at the best level possible to give us the chance to sign good youngsters and not just numbers to boost an age level in terms of signings to produce a team.

We_are_the_Hearts

My boy is in the foundation program at a training centre. Training is good and based on box soccer and 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 stuff. They also have 7 a side games where lots of scouts attend and the last time John Murray and Gary Kirk were there. One of the coaches used to work for Arthur Numan and has been about and says Hearts os ip there with the best and reckons the treatment of the kids is the best he jas seen. Ive had experience of Hearts and Hibs and it os like night and day for communication and coaching, Hobs were very poor. Hopefully we get the benefit of it all in a few years

Budgie's Boyfriend

I watched Preston under 20s last year and they looked like they had a number of players ready to step up to senior football.

When I watched Hearts under 20s in the cup final v Motherwell they didn't look ready to step up. In particular we could do with under 20s players pushing the first teams in Left back, Goalkeeper and Striking positions but our players in these positions didn't look ready to step up.

Regarding our good under 15s I think that players at that age will struggle down to the lack of an under 16s team.

It is very difficult to give away a year to an older player at that age group as older players are taller, stronger and faster between the ages of 15 and 16. The players who do well are players who are physically developed early and are usually huddies by the time they reach 21.

Preston u20's ? , unlucky with the treble eh :) 

Diadora Van Basten

Preston u20's ? , unlucky with the treble eh :)

Think they just ran out of fit players for the final.

Budgie's Boyfriend

Haha , couldn't play thr over aged players more like 

Archived