Would you vote yes?

Bauld

Why not..keep on voting till the country gets pissed off.

Thats  the way democracy is going in this country just now.

I voted Yes last time but would re-consider my vote a second time as our main trading partner is England.

Of course.

Being cut off from the world's largest economy because the Tories in England are having a civil war in insane.

kingantti1874

No.. A Britian independent from Europe is a far more viable proposition than an independent Scotland. If this referendum has taught us anything it's to take the views of the SNP with a huge pinch of salt, laughably arguements used to oppose Scottish independence are now being used to oppose brexit by sturgeon and her cronies.. The U.K. Is the worlds 5th largest economy in isolation - we will be absolute fine after Brexit, I also suspect it will trigger similar referendums across Europe - a Dutch poll recently suggest 70+ % want out.. The common market may survive but the German European experiment is doomed.

Nope, Leave is a lot better than a Yes would have been.

To vote Yes as a reaction to Leave would be really cutting our nose off to spite our face

The good news is that the vote will not be tomorrow and we will all have time to see the early consequences of leaving.

Should things not work out then I suspect we will be an independent nation within 5 years but you have to remember the EU would need to want us and on what terms never mind the economic situation for the UK at the time of a vote,,,,,,,,simply put if the leave people have got things wrong then we will be part of a break up of the UK but if things settle down and we see no real consequences then people may find it's the same as last time should it come to a vote though the independence campaign would have the extra of joining the EU as their 'golden ticket'.

However will that be the case by the time of a vote for the EU may break up by then.

I think that the Union is now safer as a result.

Imagine trying to sell the idea of the Euro to Scotland's aging, uneducated population. There's no way.

We're now tied to the UK for better or worse and it's extremely hard to see Scotland becoming independent any time soon.

I would, and regret not voting for independence in the last referendum tbh. The prospect of Boris as PM is absolutely terrifying.

The political wills of the Scottish and English public are clearly vastly different.

I would, and regret not voting for independence in the last referendum tbh. The prospect of Boris as PM is absolutely terrifying.

The political wills of the Scottish and English public are clearly vastly different.

I agree with you but do you honestly see the 70% of over 65's who voted no suddenly voting yes and potentially using the Euro?

I agree with you but do you honestly see the 70% of over 65's who voted no suddenly voting yes and potentially using the Euro?

Probably not to be honest, the opportunity has likely been missed. I think there could be bleak times ahead though. Horrible news to wake up to.

Probably not to be honest, the opportunity has likely been missed. I think there could be bleak times ahead though. Horrible news to wake up to.

Yeah, my thoughts as well.

The SNP seem remarkably chipper about this but I don't see the optimism at all.

Most Scots will want to use Sterling and remain tied to the UK rather than follow the SNP into Europe and use the Euro and there's no getting away from that.

Independence is farther away than it was this time yesterday IMO.

I think that the Union is now safer as a result.

Imagine trying to sell the idea of the Euro to Scotland's aging, uneducated population. There's no way.

We're now tied to the UK for better or worse and it's extremely hard to see Scotland becoming independent any time soon.

Could you explain the logic here? The EU vote is an excuse for the SNP but it's not going to be the basis of their new campaign.

Could you explain the logic here? The EU vote is an excuse for the SNP but it's not going to be the basis of their new campaign.

Which part? I thought it was kind of obvious.

If there was another IndyRef where leaving meant joining the EU, it's probable that Scotland would have to use the Euro. 

We already know that the rest of the remaining part of the UK wouldn't allow us to use Sterling so we'd have to come up with something else or use the Euro.

Scotland has an aging population who overwhelmingly voted No at the referendum. I don't imagine they'd be more likely to side with Europe now than they were in 2014. 

I think they'd be less likely than they were then so I think Scotland will be more firmly tied to the UK then they were previously.

Which part? I thought it was kind of obvious.

If there was another IndyRef where leaving meant joining the EU, it's probable that Scotland would have to use the Euro. 

We already know that the rest of the remaining part of the UK wouldn't allow us to use Sterling so we'd have to come up with something else or use the Euro.

Scotland has an aging population who overwhelmingly voted No at the referendum. I don't imagine they'd be more likely to side with Europe now than they were in 2014. 

I think they'd be less likely than they were then so I think Scotland will be more firmly tied to the UK then they were previously.

It sounds like you think the SNP will present a referendum as EU v UK. That'll be part of it, only a part.

Many will not be around to vote if there was another referendum..........sorry but it's the truth

As I mentioned previously it may well depend on what happens in the meantime re the economy etc....if the leave team have got it right then I don't see much of a change but if they get it wrong this may well be seen as Scotland's chance to ditch the baggage of the rest of the UK and go back to what some will see as the security blanket of the EU

Votes like todays are often about timing and luck.........had this vote been taken before all the interventions in Syria, Iraq etc and before the immigration crisis then the vote would have been to stay in by a good margin.....fast forward a few years and we can see the impact of those interventions and avoiding following actions through.

I voted leave the EU and No to an Indy Scotland. I will not be changing my mind if there is another Scottish referendum.

As Northern Ireland voted to remain there are now demands for an all Ireland vote on reunification.

Of course it's not going to happen but you can see how it would be sold to the population

It sounds like you think the SNP will present a referendum as EU v UK. That'll be part of it, only a part.

You're right but voters seem to be moving away from intellectualism and reason and towards simplicity and stupidity.

See Donald Trump's popularity as an example.

This referendum may as well have had "do you want lots of dirty, smelly, foreigners coming to steal your jobs and houses and have you had enough of posh, smug, private school educated toffs telling you what to do"? 

Most voters don't seem to have the mental capacity to look at the bigger picture or consider anything but the most basic concepts. If it's a choice between Great Britain, Sterling, the Queen, cups of tea etc and hordes of smelly foreigners coming to steal benefits in Scotland and being told what to do by Germans in Brussels while spending Euros, it's not going to go well for the Independence movement.

Scotland will vote yes on the basis that Boris and Farage could run this country

Scotland will vote yes on the basis that Boris and Farage could run this country

Possibly if that were to happen but neither of them are likely to become prime minister IMO.

kingantti1874

Hugely unlikely ..

Voted yes the last time, will vote yes the next time.

A lot of the reasons folk sighted for voting no the last time are now the very same reasons which the should now vote yes.

Interesting times ahead......

I voted leave (more in hope than expectation) for one reason only - to remove a layer of politicians from my life. Over the years I've come to believe that in politics, as in architecture, less is more.

I therefore won't be voting to bring them back in.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Interesting to see such a split on this thread. Consensus in the immediate aftermath of this seems to be that independence for Scotland is inevitable now.

Malinga the Swinga

Interesting to see such a split on this thread. Consensus in the immediate aftermath of this seems to be that independence for Scotland is inevitable now.

don think that any of these pollsters know what will happen as their predictions have been wrong last twice.

Nothing can or should be written as inevitable.

gashauskis9

I think the South of England are probably wanting a referendum now to separate from the North.

I can't win in my situation. My job relies heavily on being part of a UK that is part of the EU. I'm not sure which is the worst of the two evils - being part of an independent Scotland, but part of the EU or being part of a UK that isn't?

Bindy Badgy

Possibly if that were to happen but neither of them are likely to become prime minister IMO.

Johnson is a very real threat. 

I hope I'm wrong.

kingantti1874

Wishful thinking more than anything..

Johnson is a very real threat. 

I hope I'm wrong.

I don't see it.

He's more like a court jester than a Statesman.

Bowmans_Boot

Voted yes the last time, will vote yes the next time.

A lot of the reasons folk sighted for voting no the last time are now the very same reasons which the should now vote yes.

Interesting times ahead......

This. 

Bowmans_Boot

I don't see it.

He's more like a court jester than a Statesman.

You are right, but he is extremely popular with the Tory voters and is probably the leader they are looking for.

kingantti1874

I think the South of England are probably wanting a referendum now to separate from the North.

I can't win in my situation. My job relies heavily on being part of a UK that is part of the EU. I'm not sure which is the worst of the two evils - being part of an independent Scotland, but part of the EU or being part of a UK that isn't?

What do you do mate?

Absolutely not. And the majority will be larger next time round.

A bloody nose for the Nats.

Would you like having euros in your wallet?

Billy Walsh

I voted no last time. If it were to come round again I'd 99% certain I'd vote yes. Don't think I'd be alone with this, either.

Can't believe the results this morning.

Adam Murray

As it seemed just before the the Indy ref.

Still a No from me

Phil Dunphy

Still no.

I'd like to see a concrete guarantee from someone outside the SNP than an independent Scotland would be part of the EU.

Goldstone Wonder

I voted no in 2014. I thought long and hard about doing so. I said at the time that if the UK were to pull out of the EU then I would probably vote yes next time. I think this has sounded the death knell for the UK. Scotland and England just have different and competing interests and world views.

There is no question that independence is strong her now than it was 2 years ago. Regardless of today's result, but strengthen even more by it.

Archived