PC - Trojan/Malware Help!

Jambonairn

Alright folks!

I wonder if anyone can help me. Last night I was downloading itunes and real player to my Laptop and I think I may have allowed some virus or unknown source to infect my computer.

I have windows vista and my security measures include Windows defender and Norton 360.

My problem is that I now keep getting a pop up (every 30s-1m) telling me an unknown trojan has infected my computer and may be seriously harmful. Windows defender and Norton seem to think my computer is ok however this pop up will not let up (it's worse when I use internet), it advises me to click on a link to download IEdefender which remoes malware/trojans however this costs around ?40.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? Or if I can download some trojan removal programme without any cost? Alternatively am I missing something with Windows defender/Norton?

The laptop is fairly new and has no important files on it as yet.

Thanks in advance

JN

Download, install, update and run these two programs:

Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Spybot Search and Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Both are adware removers similar to Windows Defender, but some programs pick up adware that others miss. Give them a shot and see if it fixes your problem.

Thanks guys!

Cant try anything until tonight as at work the day but will try what has been suggested so far.

Cheers

JN

Cairneyhill Jambo

I had something similar last week and my pc at home is still Donald Ducked.

My pc got infected by Brave Sentry aka Sheriff Spyware.

It has disabled my entire computer and can't even get the internet to work.

My mate, an IT expert, is currently trying to fix it be he has said that it is the worst virus he has ever come across.

I may have to wipe it clean and re-boot the whole pc.

:ahhhhhhh:

I wish I could get my hands on these we nerds that start viruses. Plums

The IT boy at work has recommended downloading and running AVG?

Anyone have previous experience with this?

Yeah, I use AVG and it's not bad at all...but it doesn't always pick up on all spyware unfortunately. I also use Ad-aware and Spybot (the two mentioned by makateer) and they're great.

One thing though, remember to clear your history, cache, cookies, temp internet files and such things. I had a problem with a pop up last week and despite running every anti-virus and spyware thing I could get my hands on, none of them picked up what it was. Clearing all my internet bumf did the trick though for some reason.

AVG is an anti virus. I have the free version and have had no problems whatsoever.

But you still need a half decent firewall and ad aware system.

Sheriff Fatman
Alright folks!

I wonder if anyone can help me. Last night I was downloading itunes and real player to my Laptop and I think I may have allowed some virus or unknown source to infect my computer.

I have windows vista and my security measures include Windows defender and Norton 360.

My problem is that I now keep getting a pop up (every 30s-1m) telling me an unknown trojan has infected my computer and may be seriously harmful. Windows defender and Norton seem to think my computer is ok however this pop up will not let up (it's worse when I use internet), it advises me to click on a link to download IEdefender which remoes malware/trojans however this costs around ?40.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? Or if I can download some trojan removal programme without any cost? Alternatively am I missing something with Windows defender/Norton?

The laptop is fairly new and has no important files on it as yet.

Thanks in advance

JN

For a start get rid of Norton, it's awful. Though you will probably end up pulling your hair out trying to get rid of the sodden thing. Try AVG free.

Download a anti spyware utility, Adaware is probably the best (don't what ever you do get spyboy, it's almost spyware in it's own right). Use both Adaware and Windows Defender as I've found that no one program picks up everything.

Get a good firewall, I like Zone Alarm, though I've heard very good things about Comodo. Both are free, though Zone Alarm also have a version you pay for which is better.

Dean Winchester
Download a anti spyware utility, Adaware is probably the best (don't what ever you do get spyboy, it's almost spyware in it's own right). Use both Adaware and Windows Defender as I've found that no one program picks up everything.

I assume when you said spyboy you meant Spybot and am curious to know what makes you think it is Spyware? I have used it in conjunction with Ad-Aware for years and the only problem that either of them havent been able to fix was a nasty browser hijack. I highly recommend both Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D

Guest S.U.S.S.
I assume when you said spyboy you meant Spybot and am curious to know what makes you think it is Spyware? I have used it in conjunction with Ad-Aware for years and the only problem that either of them havent been able to fix was a nasty browser hijack. I highly recommend both Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D

I would agree with you there, both are top notch and free! Can only asume the poster who didnt like Spybot maybe had a problem with the install so was not running correctly.

Still each to their own.

I agree they are brilliant programs. As for AvG I have only used the free edition but I was not impressed as I still got a few viruses that slipped the net, hence why I never bought it. Though for a free version it might be alright, though I would suggest using a 30 day trial of Mcafee or Kaspersky if you can get them to clean your system just now, or maybe invest in one proper, I've never had a worry since I paid for my AV :)

Guest S.U.S.S.
I agree they are brilliant programs. As for AvG I have only used the free edition but I was not impressed as I still got a few viruses that slipped the net, hence why I never bought it. Though for a free version it might be alright, though I would suggest using a 30 day trial of Mcafee or Kaspersky if you can get them to clean your system just now, or maybe invest in one proper, I've never had a worry since I paid for my AV :)

Did you allow AVG to update its definitions every day?

OK, here goes!

Reset the Windows firewall to default (some trojans will open ports to allow others through). To do this, go into the Control Panel, click on Windows Firewall, click on "Advanced" and then "Restore Defaults"

Download Cleanup! from here:

http://stevengould.org/downloads/cleanup/CleanUp452.exe

Run it in the default settings (don't make any changes).

Download Lavasoft Ad-Aware or Spybot (they are both good). Beware of versions with a similar name which claim to do the same job, they are probably spyware themselves as mentioned above! :eek:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Get it from one of these 2 sites, don't trust any others.

Antivirus is up to you, AVG is OK (and free), personally I use NOD32. Avoid Norton if you can.

Might help someone! :)

Very rarely will you have to wipe a computer for this kind of thing, worst case, take the drive out and scan it for viruses in another PC!

Sheriff Fatman

Yes I did mean spybot, my spelling can be as bad as Shakespeares at times.

Spybot collects information from your machine and can in certain circumstances pass it on the third parties. It also leaves codes that can cause other anti-spyware software problems.

It is very good at finding spyware, but it's little extra problems mean I would not use it.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/

This magazine does a good review of a lot of products (some good ones , which are free , are in the list).

For free firewall they recommended Commodo (after years of recommending Zone Laram)

Edit : scroll down the page to 'software round ups'

Did you allow AVG to update its definitions every day?

Yea I'm sure it was updating every day, it was about 3 years ago now but I wasn't aware it WASNT being updated if that makes sense. Perhaps I caught one which stopped it updating therefore paved the way for more. In your opinion is it a good product and I'm being a bit harsh? It is free afterall!

Guys,

Thanks very much for all your help and suggestions! Turns out when I got home Norton had found and deleted the trojan. I've printed off this thread however and will be sure to revert to it in the future should needs be.

Once again, all help and suggestions much appreciated :thumb:

JN

Guys,

Thanks very much for all your help and suggestions! Turns out when I got home Norton had found and deleted the trojan. I've printed off this thread however and will be sure to revert to it in the future should needs be.

Once again, all help and suggestions much appreciated :thumb:

JN

Get rid of Norton. Most people on here are telling you to go for AVG, including me.

Get rid of Norton. Most people on here are telling you to go for AVG, including me.

I should have mentioned in my last post, I have got rid of Norton and am now using AVG and Ad-aware. I had the IT boy from work come round to take a look last night so it's sorted.

JN

Archived