Krakow

Disser Pointon

Disser Pointon

There was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it doing a search. Anyway, the missus and I are going in July and was just looking for tips on places to eat, drink and visit.

On our to do list so far is auschwitz, schindlers factory and the wodka bar!

Cheers

There was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it doing a search. Anyway, the missus and I are going in July and was just looking for tips on places to eat, drink and visit.

Cheers

Plenty places to eat and drink.

You'll find places you'll enjoy yourself.

Great place.

Salt mines are worth a visit, too.

I thought they were shit but that's just me.

Everyone else enjoyed it tbh.

Auld Reekin'

Not done it, as I was only in Krak?w for a day and a night, but if you fancy a bit of mountain scenery and even some fresh air and exercise, you can get the train from there down to Zakopane. I'm pretty sure it can be done in a day trip. without any bother.

This is a small city in the far south of Poland, right next to the Tatra Mountains and not far from the Slovakian border. The city itself is supposed to be a nice place, but the scenery round about will be fantastic. I've done some hiking in the mountains from the Slovak side and they're really beautiful. There are still bears and wolves there though, so choose your picnic spot with care!    :thumb:

if you want some good polish food try the cafe art restaurant it is on the main square in Krakow

Pork Knuckles?

Jason Dufner

Fantastic city with so many things to see....And very cheap bars to go to!

Wouldn't write home about the Polish food though.

Disser Pointon

Fantastic city with so many things to see....And very cheap bars to go to!

Wouldn't write home about the Polish food though.

Pretty much what we thought of Prague when we were there, strikes me as a similar city.

conn artist

Ate here when I went:

http://www.kuchniaubabcimaliny.pl

Basically means grannys kitchen. Cheap and hearty food. Was recommended by a polish guy I knew who lived here. It's a bit tricky to find. From memory it's underneath a library not far from the main square.

Cheers

Visit the Gestapo HQ museum, it's small and located in the basement of an art deco building about a 20min tram ride from city centre.

It tells the story of how the Nazis, and then the Russians post WW2, controlled the city. The guides are excellent and it really brings to life part of Europe's history. There are some truly incredible stories of bravery and the messages scratched into the cell walls by the prisoners with their fingernails are haunting.

Edited by ADAM

Cheers

Without a trace of irony it would seem.

michael_bolton

Ate here when I went:

http://www.kuchniaubabcimaliny.pl

Basically means grannys kitchen. Cheap and hearty food. Was recommended by a polish guy I knew who lived here. It's a bit tricky to find. From memory it's underneath a library not far from the main square.

This place is excellent.

I used to live in Krakow and went here a lot. Huge portions too.

Get away from the main square, which is basically just a tourist rip-off joint, and get along to Kazimierz. Kazimierz is the old Jewish part of town and it's full of wee bars the size of your living room. Great place to spend an evening. There's also Plazsow (pronounced Pwashoov) concentration camp, which is where they filmed Schindler's list.

Krakow is very walkable, it's a nice place to spend time.

Make sure that you try ?urek when you're there - it's a soup, sometimes served in a bread bowl, filled with meat (and a boiled egg) and tastes ****ing amazing.

It's honestly 50% of the reason I go back to Poland so often :lol:

I remember buying what my Polish mate called "mountain cheese" from what can only be described as a peasant lady at the train station.Delicious.

The bell ceremony by the fire dept at the church in the main square is light hearted tourist pap.

JP the 2 seminary is there and the story is he would holiday from being the Pope there.In the evenings he would lean out the window and crack jokes with the local kids.

I love Poland but struggle with the language.

If you are interested in world war 2 then the visit to schindlers factory is a must. It's 95% on the whole war and Nazi occupation of poland, you could easily spend a whole day there. We walked from the main square to the factory, it's a decent walk but nice enough if the weather is good.

I love Poland but struggle with the language.

You're supposed to.

text2mindmap.jpg

I mean, come on.

Auld Reekin'

You're supposed to.

text2mindmap.jpg

I mean, come on.

Polish made simple:

Jeden piwo (yeden peevo) = One beer

Dwa piwo (dva peevo) = Two beers

Trzy piwo (shay peevo) = Three beers

Cztery piwo (shterry peevo) = Four beers

Any more beers than that, just hold up the requisite number of fingers.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Konrad von Carstein

Pod Wawelem near the castle, grilled meats and litre glasses of excellent beer.

Pod Ionolami, just off the main square beautiful restaurant and the food was great.

Look them up on trip advisor!

Also agree with whoever said you'll find your own favourites. Last time we were there we went for and Indian ( I know, we don't normally do that either when abroad) India Masala on the Maly Rynek (Little Square) was tasty and made a nice change.

The best bit, I fly out tomorrow for my third visit this year :)

Visit the Gestapo HQ museum, it's small and located in the basement of an art deco building about a 20min tram ride from city centre.

It tells the story of how the Nazis, and then the Russians post WW2, controlled the city. The guides are excellent and it really brings to life part of Europe's history. There are some truly incredible stories of bravery and the messages scratched into the cell walls by the prisoners with their fingernails are haunting.

Done this last year, it was,nt quite open to the public, the guy that was looking after the part of the building where you enter,let us in though , and showed us a few rooms . He showed us to the rooms you mention and told us they had lain virtually untouched since the end of the war, I think the rooms (torture chambers) where the names are scratched into the walls got to me more than Auschwitz. specifically the wee pictures drawn  by kids. Offered the guy about a tenner for himself and he wouldny have it , refused anything I offered him, but like you say worth a visit.

Polish made simple:

Wrong.

It's jedno piwo, and then dwa/trzy/cztery piwa.

Auld Reekin'

Wrong.

It's jedno piwo, and then dwa/trzy/cztery piwa.

Don't give a feck - whenever I've used any of those key Polish phrases I've always been given the correct number of beers.

michael_bolton

Polish made simple:

Your representation of trzy is miles off.

It's more like t-shu. Certainly not shay.

The other poster is correct. 2, 3, 4 piwa. From 5 up you can say piw.

It's a very hard language to get perfect, but not as difficult as it seems to become conversational. Took about 18 months to be comfortable chatting away to people. Still never mastered the pronunciation of "I've got a cold" in Polish. Absurd word for 'cold' - as in the illness.

Not done it, as I was only in Krak?w for a day and a night, but if you fancy a bit of mountain scenery and even some fresh air and exercise, you can get the train from there down to Zakopane. I'm pretty sure it can be done in a day trip. without any bother.

This is a small city in the far south of Poland, right next to the Tatra Mountains and not far from the Slovakian border. The city itself is supposed to be a nice place, but the scenery round about will be fantastic. I've done some hiking in the mountains from the Slovak side and they're really beautiful. There are still bears and wolves there though, so choose your picnic spot with care! :thumb:

Smashing wee.boat trip as well. Takes a couple.of hours but breath taking scenery especially if like me u hardly/dont speak polish while the boy steering the boat speaks but if its a sunny day its breathtaking.

Steer in and out of slovakia and its a chilled couple of hours

Auld Reekin'

Smashing wee.boat trip as well. Takes a couple.of hours but breath taking scenery especially if like me u hardly/dont speak polish while the boy steering the boat speaks but if its a sunny day its breathtaking.

Steer in and out of slovakia and its a chilled couple of hours

Sounds great!

p.s. For those who are determined to pull my post apart about "all you need to know in Polish" - it was a joke you know! (One that was maybe not very funny in the first place, but which certainly gets less and less so the more it's picked-over. Still, if that's your thang y' all, go nuts...)

Konrad von Carstein

Doesn't add much to the discussion but our taxi driver at Krakow airport this morning was a smoking hot leggy blonde woman. Taxi journey was all too short :(

Disser Pointon

what time are the flights ? looking at somewhere different for a weekend break

We fly out from Edinburgh 6.45am on 24 July, return flight 11am from Krakow, cost ?260 for the both of us.

Disser Pointon

Doesn't add much to the discussion but our taxi driver at Krakow airport this morning was a smoking hot leggy blonde woman. Taxi journey was all too short :(

Did you get her number though!?

Konrad von Carstein

what time are the flights ? looking at somewhere different for a weekend break

We flew out this morning on Easyjet at 6 am coming back on Monday with Ryanair leaving Krakow at 2pm ish

Konrad von Carstein

Did you get her number though!?

Kinda difficult with the g/f sitting in the car and me having about 6 words of Polish, none which are "How are you doin?" followed by a cheesy grin :(

the general

We flew out this morning on Easyjet at 6 am coming back on Monday with Ryanair leaving Krakow at 2pm ish

brilliant cheers

michael_bolton

Jak si? masz? ........... :jjyay:

Fina dupa!

Powiedzasz to - kochanie, jestesz zajebiscie.

Auld Reekin'

Fina dupa!

Powiedzasz to - kochanie, jestesz zajebiscie.

Nah - you've lost me lads - how many beers is that...?!?!?!?    :unsure:  ;)

Konrad von Carstein

Jak si? masz? ........... :jjyay:

Jak si? masz Laska.....:jjyay:

Is what I would (never in a million years) have said if the bursd wasn't there :crying guy:

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

michael_bolton

Nah - you've lost me lads - how many beers is that...?!?!?!?    :unsure:  ;)

Mine is a winner if the burd is about. She'll never understand it, but a Polish bird will.

:jjyay:

michael_bolton

MB is saying you are sweet to the Polish girl in question, I believe?

Pieprz mnie however, will get you a different reaction, depending on the girl, and quantity of Tatanka( Zubrowka vodka & apple juice...very popular) consumed prior to 1am.

:oohmatron:

Zajebiscie is a bit more uncouth than that. It doesn't have a direct English translation, the closest would be (an even more informal version of) fecking great.

So, it's basically, 'darlin, you're feckin great'.

Also, pieprz mnie would work. Better than the oft-misused by foreigners 'ja pierdole' which literally means the same thing, but is used in more of an 'aw, feck me', kind of way. Used to be quite funny hearing stag parties running around shouting 'ja pierdole' at local burds, and not realising that they just sounded angry.

It's a great language.

Edited by michael_bolton

michael_bolton

Does have its uses. I have contact with a lot of Poles through work, and while far, far far from fluent, on more than one occasion, I've caught one out being...less than complimentary about me or someone I know within earshot.

Attitudes suddenly change, once they realise otherwise.

Funny that. Hard language though, definitely.

Best of luck over there with the missus Konrad.

Pity you never got the girl's taxi number.

Might take a cab when I'm over in November...

:pleasing:

It's fun understanding a language when the native speakers of that language assume nobody can understand it.

Was waiting for my flight from KL to Heathrow last November and there were two incredibly foul-mouthed Polish women near me at the gate. The look on their faces when I asked them to not be so rude was priceless.

Konrad von Carstein

Does have its uses. I have contact with a lot of Poles through work, and while far, far far from fluent, on more than one occasion, I've caught one out being...less than complimentary about me or someone I know within earshot.

Attitudes suddenly change, once they realise otherwise.

Funny that. Hard language though, definitely.

Best of luck over there with the missus Konrad.

Pity you never got the girl's taxi number.

Might take a cab when I'm over in November...

:pleasing:

The missus has had a good laugh at some of thr err colourful Polish expressions...I'm not in the doghouse....yet :jjyay:

Give it time though :(

michael_bolton

The missus has had a good laugh at some of thr err colourful Polish expressions...I'm not in the doghouse....yet :jjyay:

Give it time though :(

Przszepraszam kolego, to bedzie katastrofa. :sob:

Auld Reekin'

It's fun understanding a language when the native speakers of that language assume nobody can understand it.

Was waiting for my flight from KL to Heathrow last November and there were two incredibly foul-mouthed Polish women near me at the gate. The look on their faces when I asked them to not be so rude was priceless.

The first time I actually spent any time in Poland (apart from hiking up to Morskie Oko in the Tatras a few years before) was with an "Explore Worldwide" tour in 1999. I only knew a few words and phrases in Polish (and, clearly, wasn't able to pronounce them properly...   :rolleyes: ), but did understand snippets of what folk were saying now and again. One such occasion was when we were being punted around some wetlands and lakes in central Poland by some local boatmen. In one of the boats near mine was by far the best looking woman on the trip: a strapping, fit-as-feck (in every respect) Aussie bursd, with her slightly-weedy English boyfriend. The boatmen were laughing and joking amongst themselves and we were none the wiser as to what it was about, but when I heard the word "kie?basa" from the guy punting her boat I knew he wasn't discussing what he was going to have for his tea that night!    :look:  

michael_bolton

The first time I actually spent any time in Poland (apart from hiking up to Morskie Oko in the Tatras a few years before) was with an "Explore Worldwide" tour in 1999. I only knew a few words and phrases in Polish (and, clearly, wasn't able to pronounce them properly...   :rolleyes: ), but did understand snippets of what folk were saying now and again. One such occasion was when we were being punted around some wetlands and lakes in central Poland by some local boatmen. In one of the boats near mine was by far the best looking woman on the trip: a strapping, fit-as-feck (in every respect) Aussie bursd, with her slightly-weedy English boyfriend. The boatmen were laughing and joking amongst themselves and we were none the wiser as to what it was about, but when I heard the word "kie?basa" from the guy punting her boat I knew he wasn't discussing what he was going to have for his tea that night!    :look:  

:kirk::groundhog: