'Our' oil

i8hibsh

Question for Toggie and the Nats

Do you feel that you are more Scottish than me?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Toggie isn't a student.

Well at least he has soemthing going for him ;)

coppercrutch
While I am no Peak Oil supporter, I have to disagree with your verdict that they were "woefully inaccurate".

Peak Oil is not simply about oil running dry, it is about the commercial production of oil. I don't think humans will ever have the technical capacity to extract all the oil out the ground. Even if we did, the world's economy may never support the prices that would be needed to fund the required E&P activities.

The existence of oil is one thing, the level of oil reserves and production is quite different. As the latter is hugely dependent on the prevailing price, demand and supply may one day find an equilibrium where none is produced.

I would disagree. They stated in the 70's that oil production would have ended by the mid 90's. If you don't call that "woefully inaccurate" I don't know what you would !!

I do agree with the rest of what you say and the reasons for these predictions changing. They are still inaccurate though, even if the reasons behind that are understandable.;)

I just think when people talk about inaccurate forecasts of oil production they always are on the underestimating side.

I think considering that the opposite may happen would be a sensible approach.

No.

Patrick Bateman

Nope. Only a petty person would question who is more "Scottish" than another, it simply doesn't matter.

Do I think your political views are based on ignorance, with hollow, emotive and nonsensical arguments? Yes, absolutely. You see, I'd accept that there are two sides to the debate, and that each sides have valid points. Its just that, for me, Independence offers a stronger, more logical case.

hollow, emotive and nonsensical arguments

This describes the SNP's policies perfectly.

Nope. Only a petty person would question who is more "Scottish" than another, it simply doesn't matter.

Do I think your political views are based on ignorance, with hollow, emotive and nonsensical arguments? Yes, absolutely. You see, I'd accept that there are two sides to the debate, and that each sides have valid points. Its just that, for me, Independence offers a stronger, more logical case.

Your political views are based on a huge chip on your shoulder that you lot have had for hundreds of years!

Patrick Bateman
Your political views are based on a huge chip on your shoulder that you lot have had for hundreds of years!

Hundreds of years? I'm not that old ;)

I challenge you to find a single anti-English sentiment from me in any of my posts, I just don't harbour any. Instead, my political views are based on the idea that Scotland can govern itself and that we have the human and natural resources to do so.

As for Therapist's point against the SNP - Surely you'd be in favour of their tax cut for small businesses? Its quite... free-market of them.

As for Therapist's point against the SNP - Surely you'd be in favour of their tax cut for small businesses? Its quite... free-market of them.

Unfortunately one can't pick and choose which policies you'd like them to implement. You take them all or nothing at all. The overall dangers of the SNP far outweigh the benefits offered by one or two minor policies.

Further, in their first practical demonstration of how they handle power they are proving to be incredibly incompetent as witnessed by the local income tax debacle - probably their key policy.

Chuck Berry
Further, in their first practical demonstration of how they handle power they are proving to be incredibly incompetent as witnessed by the local income tax debacle - probably their key policy.

If the SNP are "incompetent" in your view, what did that make Jack's New Labour? The two administrations are like night and day.

The fact the that SNP continue to rate very highly in the polls after a succesful 1st year in power, and the fact that New Labour are facing a disaster at the next Westminster elections seems to have escaped you.

There is a very real possibility of the SNP holding more Westminster seats in Scotland than Labour at the next election, an incomprehensible thought only 5 years ago.

50 years of Labour power in Scotland has done nothing for this Nation, the "Union" has done nothing for this Nation in the last 50 years.

Face the facts, the Union is broken, Gordon Brown knows it, the Tories know it, the English public are slowly beginning to realise it and finding their own voice.

Time to go our seperate ways politically.

If the SNP are "incompetent" in your view, what did that make Jack's New Labour?

Incompetent. You may have a valid argument if I were a Labour voter. But I'm not.

Chuck Berry
Incompetent. You may have a valid argument if I were a Labour voter. But I'm not.

I have a valid argument regardless of what party (if any) you vote for.

I have a valid argument regardless of what party (if any) you vote for.

My vote changes depending on what I believe is best for me.

Please try to do better in future when trying to dig yourself out of that hole you've fallen into. Thanks for your cooperation. :)

Chuck Berry

What are you on about? you called the SNP administration incompetent, I have pointed out that their popularity continues to rise in the face of this alleged "incompetence" so I think you'll be the one needing a hand out of the hole......

....and forgive me for laughing out loud at the prospect of you voting SNP, regardless of whether they're the best for you or not.

....and forgive me for laughing out loud at the prospect of you voting SNP

You're forgiven. I never would.

davemclaren
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You've obviously never been to Saudi. I have, on a number of occasions, and I can assure you there is absolutely no way I'd want Scots to live like the Saudis. That country is a poo hole of the highest order.

Correct. I have never been to Saudi Arabia and it doesn't sound particularly pleasant. However, they do seem to have used their oil to make themselves very rich and get other less fortunate people to do all the crappy work for them.

Why not?

Because an entirely state owned and operated oil company would inevitably not be able to do it efficiently.

Archived