Belhaven Best

DG_HMFC

:glorious:

Better than Caledonia Best by a mile.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Correct.

Belhaven = creamy wonderful goodness.

Caledonia = pish

I like it. my go to beer of choice.......it nothing better is available, and there's a lot better out there. But still, it's a decent beer.

Tommy Brown

been my drink of the last 3 years now after 30 years of Tennant's lager.

The thought of drinking lager now :boak: what was I thinking all those years.

I prefer a Deuchars IPA, still partial to a McEwans 80, would easily cope with a Belhaven Best, and have managed a few lagers in my time.

Even a bad beer is better than no beer.

And I can say that even having drunk (when desperate) shite like Budweiser and Coors Lite

Prefer a pint of Deuchars IPA myself

This. I find Best a bit 'thin and watery' but I will drink it if nothing else.

This. I find Best a bit 'thin and watery' but I will drink it if nothing else.

Agree, no depth to it, will also drink it if nothing else, but there are so many beers of better quality available these days, my current favourite is a pint of Black Isle Porter, which I look forward to 2 or 3 after the game today, in Cloisters

Jambo-Jimbo

The pub I used to work in trialled Caledonia Best with a view to replacing the Belhaven Best.

Had it on a reduced trial price but the customers hated Caledonia Best and needless to say we had it about 1 month and used about 2 kegs if we were lucky, got taken out never to return.

Utter rubbish compared to Belhaven Best IMO.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I've always found Belhaven beers a bit bland but I was a Caley 80 and Deuchars man for years so maybe I am used to more depth of flavour. I would say a Best is like a John Smiths but I would pick a pint of Belhaven over a pint of bland lager having said that!

Belhaven Best has been the better "broon beer" for some time imo.

I`ve tried alot of the other similar ones but always went back to BB. John Smith`s is also the other one i like and will drink that if there`s no Best on tap.

I used to like a pint of Kilkenny and Caffrey`s when they were around some years ago. They were a really nice beer.

Tommy Brown

Belhaven Best has been the better "broon beer" for some time imo.

I`ve tried alot of the other similar ones but always went back to BB. John Smith`s is also the other one i like and will drink that if there`s no Best on tap.

I used to like a pint of Kilkenny and Caffrey`s when they were around some years ago. They were a really nice beer.

Got agree with the Caffrey's, my favourite by a country mile, ****ing loony juice, but.

Went to the Scoland game at ER recently and went a great pub crawl before it. Some BB and some Caladonia, cant say there was much between them though (IMO).

Mathers at the East End had the best pint, but by that time, we on our 7th & 8th :lol:. so cant really remember if it was BB or not.

The worst was the Conan Doyle, they had neither, so asked the barman for the closest alternative. **** knows what he gave us , but it was bloody disgusting.

Might try a few others mentioned on here before and after the game today.

McEwans 80 and a Deuchars is the pint of choice today.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Got agree with the Caffrey's, my favourite by a country mile, ******* loony juice, but.

Went to the Scoland game at ER recently and went a great pub crawl before it. Some BB and some Caladonia, cant say there was much between them though (IMO).

Mathers at the East End had the best pint, but by that time, we on our 7th & 8th :lol:. so cant really remember if it was BB or not.

The worst was the Conan Doyle, they had neither, so asked the barman for the closest alternative. **** knows what he gave us , but it was bloody disgusting.

haha.....It was strong but so smooth. I remember back around 1996, 4 of us went for a few days to Alton Towers but we stayed at a hotel In Stoke. When we were out one night there was a pub doing a Caffreys promotion where if you bought a pint you got a card you held under an infrared light to see if you won a half pint.

At first the barman was happy we bought Caffreys as apparently no one was drinking it. The English seem more like lager drinkers than beer. 

Thing is, every time we bought a round we kept winning half pints per pint..lol..not one losing card. The barman slowly developed a sneer when he looked at us....lol

Belhaven Best better than Caledonia Best......I agree.

I'd drink Deuchars IPA before both of them though.

I remember Kilkenny ALWAYS gave me a headache.

I'm enjoying a great time in my drinking career. I'm not a big drinker at the best of times but gave up on lager yoinks ago. I now just enjoy visiting my local merchants and just grabbing some random 3 or 4 bottles of IPA's, craft beers and the like and just seeing whats nice. One or two bottles a week....that's how big a drinker I am.

Quite enjoyed some of Stewarts Edinburgh Gold, William Bros Birds and Bees and 7 giraffes in recent months. Also Barneys Red Rye. Didn't enjoy Eden Brewery 19th Hole.

Negra Modelo is my go to at present. I love that stuff. Although my fridge does have quite a lot of Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams....not sure why?

Seymour M Hersh

Belhaven Best better than Caledonia Best......I agree.

I'd drink Deuchars IPA before both of them though.

I remember Kilkenny ALWAYS gave me a headache.

I'm enjoying a great time in my drinking career. I'm not a big drinker at the best of times but gave up on lager yoinks ago. I now just enjoy visiting my local merchants and just grabbing some random 3 or 4 bottles of IPA's, craft beers and the like and just seeing whats nice. One or two bottles a week....that's how big a drinker I am.

Quite enjoyed some of Stewarts Edinburgh Gold, William Bros Birds and Bees and 7 giraffes in recent months. Also Barneys Red Rye. Didn't enjoy Eden Brewery 19th Hole.

Negra Modelo is my go to at present. I love that stuff. Although my fridge does have quite a lot of Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams....not sure why?

Friends of mine used to drink that in Olivers or Ryans. Called it Killer K due to the shambling mess they always ended up in after drinking it.

crunchy frog

Thread hijack

Jessie Mays bar aka The Station opens today. Maybe some of the Morningside Hearts will come down to test out some craft beers

Thread hijack

Jessie Mays bar aka The Station opens today. Maybe some of the Morningside Hearts will come down to test out some craft beers

Cheers for the info, will probably pop in at some point today.

Got agree with the Caffrey's, my favourite by a country mile, ******* loony juice, but.

The worst was the Conan Doyle, they had neither, so asked the barman for the closest alternative. **** knows what he gave us , but it was bloody disgusting.

Caffrey's! Yeah I remeber drinking that in my early 20's. It was the equivalent to Stella. Got you blooturt. Bad juice.

Caffrey's! Yeah I remeber drinking that in my early 20's. It was the equivalent to Stella. Got you blooturt. Bad juice.

I remember it well from my younger days.  Tasted great, but knocked me for 6.

Can you still buy in the shops?

I remember it well from my younger days. Tasted great, but knocked me for 6.

Not sure. Was jet fuel but it just sneaked up on you. Sober one minute, legless the next. Always made me yak as well if I remember.

I remember it well from my younger days.  Tasted great, but knocked me for 6.

I'm sure you can, but they reduced the strength of it years ago, sleeping soup we called it back in the day.  

crunchy frog

I loved a pint of Caffreys, me. Got as pished as my grannies mattress on that for my 30th birthday in the Golden Rule. That wasnae yesterday.

You can still get it on draught down south, I found it in a pub in Gateshead last year. Couldn't get enough of it.

Belhaven best is far better than Caley best, both piss all over John Smiths though Boddington is OK.

Would always rather go for the mcewans or caleys 80's or a pint of deuchars if there is a choice though

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Guinness.

Except for St Patrick's Day when the plastic paddy's make an appearance.

You either love it or hate it. No middle ground.

This.

Love Guinness

The stuff black nector.

Jamborossco

Belhaven best is far better than Caley best, both piss all over John Smiths though Boddington is OK.

Would always rather go for the mcewans or caleys 80's or a pint of deuchars if there is a choice though

Boddingtons is rancid mate, the only good thing about Boddingtons is that Melanie Sykes advert from about 20 years ago

and agree with OP, Belhaven is best by far

Boddingtons is rancid mate, the only good thing about Boddingtons is that Melanie Sykes advert from about 20 years ago

and agree with OP, Belhaven is best by far

Meh it's OK and defo better than John Smiths

Belhaven Best is piss water, sorry.

Agreed. Not a pleasant taste at all.

Lovely pint of 80/- yesterday in the Diggers.

3dc66142-c85a-11e3-8165-367784bbac36.jpg

if that's the one from years ago its minging!

Had a kick to it, beer should be smooth. I used to drink this sometimes , feck knows why I persevered with it when there was no Best on tap. :yuck:

Auld Reekin'

Thread hijack

Dunno about them, but I've nipped-in a couple of times since it opened. A definite improvement on The Station (service-with-a-scowl no more) and with a better range of beers too. Didn't notice if they had BB on draught - don't drink the stuff - but they did have a couple of rugby-themed cask beers (the cask beers will change), Drygate IPA & Bearface lager, Heverlee Belgian lager, Tennents, Guinness, some kind of cider no doubt, and some other stuff. In bottles, I was very happy to see Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss, but - such was my joy - I didn't notice what else they had. 

They've got a wine-list too, which I daresay The Station didn't!

PumpkinJambo

Dunno about them, but I've nipped-in a couple of times since it opened. A definite improvement on The Station (service-with-a-scowl no more) and with a better range of beers too. Didn't notice if they had BB on draught - don't drink the stuff - but they did have a couple of rugby-themed cask beers (the cask beers will change), Drygate IPA & Bearface lager, Heverlee Belgian lager, Tennents, Guinness, some kind of cider no doubt, and some other stuff. In bottles, I was very happy to see Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss, but - such was my joy - I didn't notice what else they had.

They've got a wine-list too, which I daresay The Station didn't!

I'd have loved to have seen the looks you'd have been given if you asked for the wine list when it was the Station Bar!

Auld Reekin'

I'd have loved to have seen the looks you'd have been given if you asked for the wine list when it was the Station Bar!

Aye, it was bad enough if you weren't a regular (I assume the regulars weren't treated with outright hostility, but who knows?) and asked for a bottled beer, rather than one of the draught ones. I only ever went in to catch the odd game on satellite TV or if I was waiting on a carry-out from Saiyems, but might well go there more often now.

Thread hijack

Where is this pub?

Archived