Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

Rudi-Robertson

Recently looked through some pics on one of these Edinburgh Retro or whatever it's called page on Facebook and started thinking about shops that no longer around, not necessarily exclusive to Edinburgh of course. What shops do you remember from being a bairn

Ards the record shop - Bought my first ever single in here and always used to clap Snooker the dog outside

Crawfords - A sit in bakers that had the best chips ever doused in salt and vinegar

Ritz/Blockbuster - They'd charge you 20(?) if the video hadn't been rewinded

Cannasta Cafe - On Bonnington Road run by a lovely old Italian couple

Curtesses - Every school holiday id have to get new shoes for the new term

McDonalds the Butchers - John used to make the tidiest pies, quite peppery from what I can remember

Mr McBains - Corner shop at the top of Prince Regent Street who without fail he'd always just sold the last item you were in for

Ali's - Wee shop next to McDonalds the Butchers

Prestos/Safeways - Safeways used to have some cracking offers on

Willy Lows - They used to have wee kid sized trolleys

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

Ards the record shop - Bought my first ever single in here. Ditto

Cannasta Cafe - On Bonnington Road run by a lovely old Italian couple. Loved that place, bag of chips that actually came in a paper bag, and the most vicious brown sauce in the world.

I remember pretty much all the places you mentioned. 

where was Ards record shop again? Definitely rings a bell.

Junction Street near the end of Bonnington Road.

Talking of which the obvious one there is Telectra House and the store drapers next to it.

William H. Bonney

The shop that everybody seems to reminisce about is Goldberg's.

Agree about Crawford's chips though. Absolutely superb.

What was the cafe on the bridges that got burned down in the cowgate fire?

There used to be one on either side of the road, one with amusements and pool table.

luckyBatistuta

Westhall dairies sweet shop, a chippy on gilmore place that did crinkle chips (think it was called the international)

The shop that everybody seems to reminisce about is Goldberg's.

Agree about Crawford's chips though. Absolutely superb.

:)

Also mind What Every Woman Wants and Leisureland on the bridges!!!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

There used to be on Cockburn Street (off Royal Mile) a shop called Mamma Said. Off licence, used to sell bevvy to under-agers like us without even blinking.

Don't know if it's still there.

William H. Bonney

What was the cafe on the bridges that got burned down in the cowgate fire?

There used to be one on either side of the road, one with amusements and pool table.

Leisureland?

William H. Bonney

Westhall dairies sweet shop, a chippy on gilmore place that did crinkle chips (think it was called the international)

Now that was a good chippy. I went to school nearby and it was always a favourite.

Got all my gear in the sixties from either Berry's clothes shop in Lothian Road or the one in Queensferry Street. Ben Sherman shirts etc.

St. Cuthbert's store.

Parkers Stores Surgeons Hall

Bandparts record shop Leith Walk

Better call Saul

Recently looked through some pics on one of these Edinburgh Retro or whatever it's called page on Facebook and started thinking about shops that no longer around, not necessarily exclusive to Edinburgh of course. What shops do you remember from being a bairn

Ards the record shop - Bought my first ever single in here and always used to clap Snooker the dog outside

Crawfords - A sit in bakers that had the best chips ever doused in salt and vinegar

Ritz/Blockbuster - They'd charge you 20(?) if the video hadn't been rewinded

Cannasta Cafe - On Bonnington Road run by a lovely old Italian couple

Curtesses - Every school holiday id have to get new shoes for the new term

McDonalds the Butchers - John used to make the tidiest pies, quite peppery from what I can remember

Mr McBains - Corner shop at the top of Prince Regent Street who without fail he'd always just sold the last item you were in for

Ali's - Wee shop next to McDonalds the Butchers

Prestos/Safeways - Safeways used to have some cracking offers on

Willy Lows - They used to have wee kid sized trolleys

Prestos ....I can remember Templeton's in St james centre

Rudi-Robertson

What about the golden oldies record shop on West Maitland street. ?1 a record or something cheap like that

Better call Saul

:)

Also mind What Every Woman Wants and Leisureland on the bridges!!!

Mother took me to watties....OFTEN   ! o the shame   :qqb016:

Better call Saul

Capital meats (frozen food)

John Menzies

Zip up at tollcross ( for all your pepe and hardcore jeans ) if you were cool enough

luckyBatistuta

Now that was a good chippy. I went to school nearby and it was always a favourite.

Boroughmuir ???

and now that I've mentioned schools?your primary school having its own pool :smugger:

luckyBatistuta

Video shop at the bottom of Morningside road (can't remember the name of it) loved looking through the Betamax and Vhs dvd's to pick a film and rush home to watch it in the top loader :lol:

William H. Bonney

Boroughmuir ???

and now that I've mentioned schools?your primary school having its own pool :smugger:

Aye. There used to be a newsagents at the bottom of viewforth that sold 10p buttered rolls. A thing of beauty.

Jeez my diet was atrocious at school.

luckyBatistuta

Aye. There used to be a newsagents at the bottom of viewforth that sold 10p buttered rolls. A thing of beauty.

Jeez my diet was atrocious at school.

Yeah same, surprised we're still here, eating that lot every day. Bumped into Dr Chambers recently, looks exactly the same, as when I last saw him at school?remember getting the belt off him.

Forza Cuore

I used to get dragged to "Mr John" hairdresser in Corstorphine in the '70s. Hated it. Always a bowl cut.

The guy looked like Jeffrey off of Rainbow.

William H. Bonney

Video shop at the bottom of Morningside road (can't remember the name of it) loved looking through the Betamax and Vhs dvd's to pick a film and rush home to watch it in the top loader :lol:

There was azads and Hollywood nites, both opposite each other on morningside road. Can't recall one at the bottom though.

William H. Bonney

Yeah same, surprised we're still here, eating that lot every day. Bumped into Dr Chambers recently, looks exactly the same, as when I last saw him at school?remember getting the belt off him.

I struggle to remember names now but a teacher I always liked was mr morris. A very approachable man.

The Real Maroonblood

Jeanie Veitchs.

A sweet shop at South Clerk Street.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Rudi-Robertson

I used to get dragged to "Mr John" hairdresser in Corstorphine in the '70s. Hated it. Always a bowl cut.

The guy looked like Jeffrey off of Rainbow.

It was Kennys at the Fort for me

Is that the one that had the wee guy that later worked in the Oxgangs chippy?

Big sports shop next to what's now the Festival Theatre - Mackenzies I think - used to sell all sorts of stuff like hunting gear, archery, bowls stuff along side the regular stuff you'd find in sports shops.

luckyBatistuta

I struggle to remember names now but a teacher I always liked was mr morris. A very approachable man.

What subject was he, Chambers was German teacher. Mr Swan (Maths)?must remember him?

luckyBatistuta

There was azads and Hollywood nites, both opposite each other on morningside road. Can't recall one at the bottom though.

It was the first video shop I seen anywhere, way before Azad, although remember them?3 for 2 and so many nights.

luckyBatistuta

Is that the one that had the wee guy that later worked in the Oxgangs chippy?

Big sports shop next to what's now the Festival Theatre - Mackenzies I think - used to sell all sorts of stuff like hunting gear, archery, bowls stuff along side the regular stuff you'd find in sports shops.

Not sure about the guy, but it was right opposite Boroughmuir school.

bruces records shandwick place, the wee airfix models shop on duke st, the subbuteo shop on leith walk just before jane st, spent a lotta time in them

Forza Cuore

What was the name of the record shop at the Haymarket end of Dalry Road? Always had a browse on the way up to Tynie.

The "Store" - St Cuthberts. Bread Street. That place was mad when you were a bairn.

There was one on South Bridge / Nicholson Street as well, wasn't there

RW Forsyths - posher than Jenners.

Tiny wee sweetie shop on Howe Street next to Behar Carpets

Laws supermarket (not Willy Lows) on Nicholson Street.

P.T.s and all those wee half flights of stairs.

Buzzini on Cockburn Street and Smiths at the corner of the High Street and Blair Street

What was the name of the record shop at the Haymarket end of Dalry Road? Always had a browse on the way up to Tynie.

went there, canny remember its name, there was one on frederick st i went to a lot as well, one next to the ABC  as well

Rossleigh car showroom in Shandwick Place.

one up the gyle as well, that my mum worked in, sat in a few fancy cars in there rollers and such

Jackson's the bakers,pies were superb but very greasy.Tony's cafe also,both in gilmerton.

North Berwick Jambo

I remember being really young & going into what is now the Apple shop in Edinburgh & going all the way up to the top floor that used to be huge cafe/restaurant, it could have been Woolworths or something similar at the time but most folk my age don't remember it.

North Berwick Jambo

brattisani chippy at Haymarket is another ;)

Young people today would be amazed that the Porsche dealers for Edinburgh was on George Street. Glen Hendersons if I remember rightly. Also the Aston Martin showroom between Haymarket and the deaf school.