Parking at Aldi before games

LeftBack

Does anyone do this - I know people park at Sainsburys but as I usually do a bit of a shop at Aldi before a game (Innis and Gunn is cheapest around) Ive often wondered about risking it.

Son Of Anarchy

Heard an interesting thing on radio yesterday. Scottish private parking firms are now using debt collecting agency's to recover their fees. The threat if having your credit score affected I'd imagine would make a lot more people pay up rather than just ignoring them. Sorry op is this what you meant?

About 2 years ago my son parked in Lidl at Dalry road and got a PCN.He wrote back inviting them to take him to court to enforce payment and never heard from them again.I don't know if thats still the case or if they can enforce it.

Not worth taking the risk, especially as there's plenty of free, and freely available, parking in the side streets around Balgreen Road and Saughtonhall Drive. From there, just cut through to Wykes / Sainsbury's on the Water of Leith path, and then through to the chemical works and the NB distillery and you're there. 

Heard an interesting thing on radio yesterday. Scottish private parking firms are now using debt collecting agency's to recover their fees. The threat if having your credit score affected I'd imagine would make a lot more people pay up rather than just ignoring them. Sorry op is this what you meant?

Yup! I usually park alongside old Post Office car park (if Im there early enough) and I dont find it that difficult to find a space elsewhere. Just think when Im spending ?12.65 on weekly shop the least they can do is let me park of free.

No, don't park there. Park somewhere else, anywhere else.

It's getting harder every game to get a space in there :(

:challenge2:  

they usually end up using debt collection agencies but they can't have any impact on your credit rating as they can't prove who was driving so there's no offence to enforce.

You are under no obligation to inform them who the driver was either so just put all the correspondence from whoever in the bin and they'll eventually give up.

Done it dozens of times.

they usually end up using debt collection agencies but they can't have any impact on your credit rating as they can't prove who was driving so there's no offence to enforce.

You are under no obligation to inform them who the driver was either so just put all the correspondence from whoever in the bin and they'll eventually give up.

Done it dozens of times.

This.

I have had over 30 of these pretend parking tickets now for using a carpark along the road from my house for the last 7 years. Eventually the letters stop.

Son Of Anarchy

Done it dozens of times.

Me too but according to the radio report yesterday the debt collection agencies now go far further than the parking companies did. Only saying what I heard on radio but I myself have thrown loads of them away in the past.

The debt collection agencies can threaten all they like but there's no basis in law to prosecute so unless the law's changed I wouldn't worry.

I got one of these a few years ago for parking at Asda in Livi.

Ignored the first few letters, then got one from a debt collectors agency.

Ignored that too, years later still not heard anything else.

They (at this moment in time) can legally enforce a PCN (PARKING Charge Notices - don't get confused with a Penalty Charge Notice!) in Scotland, so in effect, any debt they are due are caused by themselves for chasing the charge!

The Council can enforce the tickets they issue but tickets issued for parking on private land can't be enforced unless someone is stupid enough to admit that they parked the car.

jimmy the jambo

It's a pity the executive team at Hearts couldn't come to some type of agreement with BT up the top end of Gorgie, we could pay a couple of quid per match & the money goes to equal charity, I know it sounds logical, however the first car that's pranged will probably look to sue.

Scottish parking firms maybe, but Lidl and Aldi have English parking firms so the tickets can go in the bin.

I'm currently receiving threatening letters from the parking company that operates in that carpark.

I'm just ignoring them and will continue to do so, but you will almost certainly get something from them. Simply don't acknowledge them or contact them in any way. They operate on the basis that a certain percentage of people will just pay up and that's how they make their money.

There's quite a lot on tinternet about dealing with these Parasitic *******s.

queensferryjambo

Me too but according to the radio report yesterday the debt collection agencies now go far further than the parking companies did. Only saying what I heard on radio but I myself have thrown loads of them away in the past.

Funny that I got a ticket at Livingston last season. I got all the usual threatening letters for months then they stopped.

They have just started again I wonder if that is because they have been passed on to debt collectors and they are having a go at trying to get me to pay.

I still haven't replied in any way shape or form. 

Rudi Hates Hibees

I'm currently receiving threatening letters from the parking company that operates in that carpark.

I'm just ignoring them and will continue to do so, but you will almost certainly get something from them. Simply don't acknowledge them or contact them in any way. They operate on the basis that a certain percentage of people will just pay up and that's how they make their money.

I'm also receiving these letters after parking there recently. Had 2 so far and binned them both. Best just ignored completely, as you said lots on Internet about dealing with these companies.

Both me and the old man have had letters sent to us in the last couple of months for parking here. A quick Google of the company in question (ParkingEye) and a read through a few forums brought up a whole load of examples of people having been taken to court by this particular company. I was sceptical because of what's always written on here so I left it and just the other day recieved a letter saying a court date would be chosen shortly and I'll be informed in due course. I still have the option to pay the ?70 which I think I'll do just out of caution.

Whether it's all smoke and mirrors and they'd ever actually go through with it I don't know. But according to an actricle I read (sorry can't remember the source so can't provide) the laws regarding parking fines were tightened in 2014 and if it's privately owned property with clear signage telling you exactly how long you have then you are at the mercy of the company that has issued you the ticket.

Not saying that's correct because until I'm actually standing in court I'll never know if it's just an empty threat, but I'm not going to be the one following on my sword to find out.

queensferryjambo

I was sceptical because of what's always written on here so I left it and just the other day recieved a letter saying a court date would be chosen shortly and I'll be informed in due course. I still have the option to pay the ?70 which I think I'll do just out of caution.

I have been told 3 times they were organising a court date. First time they were organising a date was over a year ago. Still haven't been given a date.

They are just scaremongering.

I would check and see if ParkingEye have ever successfully prosecuted anyone ever in Scotland and if the cases that went to court where in Scotland.

I had read somewhere online that there have been under 10 successful prosecutions in Scotland ever - but don't know how true that is.

Parking Eye are a bunch of chancers - letters written in a fashion to make you panic.

Other companies are similar - check the debt collection company out - last time I had one it was the same address as the parking company. Laughable.

Ultimately if the cost to park is ?0 then reasonably they are entitled to compensation for the loss of parking fees (or. Costs = ?0 then fair compensation = ?0).

Both me and the old man have had letters sent to us in the last couple of months for parking here. A quick Google of the company in question (ParkingEye) and a read through a few forums brought up a whole load of examples of people having been taken to court by this particular company. I was sceptical because of what's always written on here so I left it and just the other day recieved a letter saying a court date would be chosen shortly and I'll be informed in due course. I still have the option to pay the ?70 which I think I'll do just out of caution.

Whether it's all smoke and mirrors and they'd ever actually go through with it I don't know. But according to an actricle I read (sorry can't remember the source so can't provide) the laws regarding parking fines were tightened in 2014 and if it's privately owned property with clear signage telling you exactly how long you have then you are at the mercy of the company that has issued you the ticket.

Not saying that's correct because until I'm actually standing in court I'll never know if it's just an empty threat, but I'm not going to be the one following on my sword to find out.

PM me your address mate, I've got a couple of invoices I'd like you to pay as well.

Not sure what for but I'll think of something.

I was sceptical because of what's always written on here so I left it and just the other day recieved a letter saying a court date would be chosen shortly and I'll be informed in due course. I still have the option to pay the ?70 which I think I'll do just out of caution.

As per others and my own post think twice about reacting t - there is no written contract demonstrating you agreed to the conditions set out on the sign.

Can't remember the exact law but I think the general idea is that it it is a breach of the consumer rights act to issue a demand for payment without written or verbal proof.

"On Thursday, a solicitor acting on behalf of UKPC requested Sheriff Alastair Brown dismiss both cases and indicated the private parking company would not be seeking legal expenses.

Mr Reid, 39, said: ?I think they?ve dropped the case because they couldn?t win it. It?s been a total waste of our time and the court?s time.

?It?s annoying that I?ve had to take time out of work twice for no reason. This has gone on for over a year.?"

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/uk-parking-control-drops-court-action-against-gallagher-retail-park-drivers-1.670162

Do you work for Parking Eye?

Surely it's us, who use the parking facilty and not the shop who are the parasitic *******s, no?

I got one of these PCNs for parking in Wickes car park couple of years ago.  I got all sorts of threatening letters but just ignored them all. They doubled the original amount for not paying within 14 days, and i got letters from a debt collection agency threatening to take me to court. In the end they said if I paid the original amount they wouldn't take court procedings. I still ignored it and never heard any more.  Even if they did take you to court they could only claim for loss of revenue. You get 90 mins free parking ( for customers ) but if you are there than less than 90 mins over te original 90 mins they haven't lost any revenue because that 90 mins would have been free to whoever parked in the space after you.

William H. Bonney

I paid mine. Like others I received lots of threatening letters which I just binned. However, the last one contained information regarding action taken against someone from Scotland. It named 3 supreme court judges who presided over the ruling. I was dubious but my dad, a retired law journalist confirmed it was legit.

Perhaps I should have persisted in ignoring them but I felt better safe then sorry.

They basically are charging you for parking on private land, however as we are in Scotland, only police and local councils can enforce fines, anyone else is just handing out a fine you have no obligation to pay. This is the same scenario as why wheel clamping in Scotland is illegal except for DVLA no tax payment. Speak to citizen advice. They will clarify it all... Hopefully!

I paid mine. Like others I received lots of threatening letters which I just binned. However, the last one contained information regarding action taken against someone from Scotland. It named 3 supreme court judges who presided over the ruling. I was dubious but my dad, a retired law journalist confirmed it was legit.

Perhaps I should have persisted in ignoring them but I felt better safe then sorry.

They can't prove who parked the car and you're under no obligation to tell them. They won't go to court as they'd probably lose due to the clamping ruling precedent and that would finish them off as businesses operating in Scotland. I complained to the Information Commissioner as these companies pay the DVLA for the car owners information with a view to extorting money from them where there is no basis in Scots Law for doing so. The late David McLetxhie MP took up my case against the DVLA but sadly died before any decision was made and I lost interest.

Bottom line is its the driver who may be liable but the only way you'd have a problem is if you give them that information.

Surely it's us, who use the parking facilty and not the shop who are the parasitic *******s, no?

It's not the shop I'm referring to.

It's not the shop I'm referring to.

I know that, I am a freeloader also, I just wanted to make people think of their actions.

1. We fill up a shop's car park for two hours and don't spend a penny in their shop. We deprive genuine  customers a place.

2. The shop then tenders out their car park to these companies. This is where I don't know the ins and outs.

Do Aldi rent out the car park or do they pay the company to run the car park and maintain it?

At the end of the day, the cost of the car park needs to be met and when we (myself included) glibly use it as our right.

You called the companies parasites, I say that it is actually us.

Remember this is Scotland under Scot's Law where clamping is illegal and that these companies are all based in England  (Harrow in my case).

If they could they would clamp and charge whatever they like, but they can't so they threaten people and hope they will pay up.

This is a true story;  a friend of mine parked his car on an unmarked street in Windsor beside another parked car near to an Indian restaurant, he returned to find his car clamped and the clamping crew in-situ waiting for him to return, they demanded ?200 to release the car on the spot or ?300 to collect it from their site the following day, the other parked car was no longer there, that car is what's called a Q car to sucker people in to parking  in that area. Apparently there was a sign about 20 feet up on the adjacent wall 'notifying' the public. My friend called the Police who said there was nothing they could do.

The important thing is to remember that they have to prove that you were driving the car, which they can't do from a photograph. The notice anyone receives will ask them to pass the notice on to the driver if it was not themselves, which is tacit acnowledgment that they are chancing their arm.

Whatever you do don't engage with them in any way.

I know that, I am a freeloader also, I just wanted to make people think of their actions.

1. We fill up a shop's car park for two hours and don't spend a penny in their shop. We deprive genuine  customers a place.

2. The shop then tenders out their car park to these companies. This is where I don't know the ins and outs.

Do Aldi rent out the car park or do they pay the company to run the car park and maintain it?

At the end of the day, the cost of the car park needs to be met and when we (myself included) glibly use it as our right.

That's fine. Just pay up then.

Bazzas right boot

Do what I do, take the motor bike.

Bing, bang, bosh, park pretty much anywhere avoid traffic. easy.

If its pissing down , take the car to Aldi.

Do they use cameras to catch you at Aldi?  A couple of years ago I watched a boy taping a piece of paper over part of his rear number plate, before driving out of the Homebase which was at St Leonards.  :tiny:

Do they use cameras to catch you at Aldi?  A couple of years ago I watched a boy taping a piece of paper over part of his rear number plate, before driving out of the Homebase which was at St Leonards.  :tiny:

Brilliant! A role of sticky tape is about to be deposited in my glove compartment.

queensferryjambo

You do know they will still give you a ticket if the car park is empty and there are loads of spaces for customers?

These private car parking firms are springing up everywhere. From what I have read online car parking companies that fine you approach the shops and shopping centres to get their business whether they have problems with their car park being full or not.

IMO This is a money making scam not a genuine concern for customers and business. 

Just my opinion though - maybe I am being cynical :)

john brownlee

Use the park an ride and take the bus just as quick as flaffin about for half looking for a space.

And it stops you being a selfish git stealing some old grannies space while she's doing her siterday shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You do know they will still give you a ticket if the car park is empty and there are loads of spaces for customers?

IMO This is a money making scam not a genuine concern for customers and business. 

Just my opinion though - maybe I am being cynical :)

Aldi need a car park for customers. Edinburgh city council will charge them rates based on on the size of their car park. these costs need to be met. They need to be able to stop people parking there and buggering off to their work or shopping elsewhere. They will make an arrangement with these companies who set a time limit of how long you can park there for free or a nominal charge. They used to employ a guy who you gave a couple of quid to in the past. ****, go to Ibrox or Parkhead and you pay protection money in a free parking area. :lol:

I used to work at Ferranti in the 80's at Robbie Ave, getting parked was a ***** then, would be a whole worse now. That car park would be full of Ferranti workers all day if it was a free to park.

We are very lucky in scotland, that we don't get the heavy handedness wheel clamping that these companies use down south. I have been on the wrong end of these *****.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I've parked there to shop but after doing so had to cross the road to Sainburys to get something they didn't have. I wonder if they could ticket someone for leaving the premises and returning shortly afterwards even if it was just to McDonalds next door ? The car park is never full anyway!

Archived