Mechanic advice - Stop/Start not working

Swanny17

The Stop/Start feature on our car has stopped working.

Any advice on how to resolve?

The car has been on drives for hundreds of miles and yet the feature still doesn't work, so I don't think it's low power in the battery.

Don't mean to sound funny but you've maybe turned it off.

There is usually a button for it that will light up when it's off.

What car do you drive?

Sorry. Yeah, ECO mode is definitely on.

It's a 61 plate Peugeot 308, and has been working fine since we got it until the last wee while.

The eco light on the dash just flashes when I have stopped instead of engaging.

Have driven a fair number of different Fiat 500's with this feature and can find no real reason or pattern why sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't.

My guess is that it will be a sensor or a switch somewhere which is preventing it from working...... these things rely on a whole host of different things in order to make them work.

Could be a sensor for detecting the battery voltage, clutch switch, sometimes even seatbelt switches and god knows how many other random things like that can cause them not to work.

Disclaimer though - these are just best guesses from someone who's not a mechanic, could be any number of other things too.

My old Fiat Punto did this. Unfortunately the radio / cd player also turned off when it was in starting on / off. incredibly frustrating so never used it.

marshallschunkychicken

There are also a number of things which will usually automatically prevent it from coming on, such as use of aircon etc. I think my stop / start is deactivated if the outside temp is too low, so may be something like that?

You may have a leak.

Of what? The car is in the drive every night and there is no evidence of a leak of liquid?

It doesn't work on my Nissan if your using the demister for the front or rear window, even says this in the manual. It may even be because the air con is on?

Are you sure it's eco mode that activates it? I'd expect there to be a specific button exclusive to the stop start function.

I understand the theories about heating etc, however I should add that it doesn't work in any conditions. No lights on, no heating on etc but still no luck. :(

It apparently doesn't work if the battery hasn't got enough charge. Not to panic as it will just mean taking the car for a motorway cruise for 10 miles to charge it.

Lots of short journeys don't really help charging it and having air con on etc won't help with charging as the alternator will be working harder.

It apparently doesn't work if the battery hasn't got enough charge. Not to panic as it will just mean taking the car for a motorway cruise for 10 miles to charge it.

Lots of short journeys don't really help charging it and having air con on etc won't help with charging as the alternator will be working harder.

I drove all the way to the Lake District bud and it still didn't kick in when nearing arrival and stopping at lights etc. :(

I drove all the way to the Lake District bud and it still didn't kick in when nearing arrival and stopping at lights etc. :(

Really? Something else up then.

I was told about the battery thing from a dealer. Took a car for a test drive that had obviously been sitting about and not being used, so stop start wasn't working due to battery charge.

Could've been bull I guess.....

Archived