'No Hiding Place' - The days before 'Live TV'

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

The game not being televised got me to thinking about how it used to be.

You had 3 options

1 - Go to the game

2 - Listen to it on the radio (if it was on)

3 - Wait for the evening's highlights avoiding the finding out the score. Pre Internet and 24 hour news and Sports channels, it wasn't THAT hard to do.

Memorably it formed the basis for this classic 'Likely Lads'

'No Hiding Place'

https://youtu.be/D6_igisgS3s

Only live games when I started were FA Cup final (then Scottish), Scotland v England, European Cup final and some internationals.

Hearts Heritage

Only live games when I started were FA Cup final (then Scottish), Scotland v England, European Cup final and some internationals.

FA Cup Final wasn't shown because the Scottish Cup Final was played the same day. Extra time and the replay was shown in 1970 Chelsea v Leeds.

The Scottish Cup Final wasn't shown live regularly until the 1980s.

The only 2 'live' games shown regularly were

Scotland v England

European Cup final (if there was no game in Scotland taking place).

Rangers Cup Winners Cup win in 1972 wasn't shown live because Scotland were playing Wales the same night

1972052402.jpg

1972052405.jpg

Hearts Heritage

For those too far to pick up Radio Scotland

4. watching the score "live" on teletext

How could I forget!

Especially bad if your match was on page 7 of 11 and you'd be on page 8.

Hearts Heritage

When Magic Got his hat trick at Ibrox Gordon's Mum recorded it on the TV. And posted it down to London.

We all went round his house during the week to watch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone remember the Premium Rate lines that you could phone to get an update from matches?

We got an invite to the Ladbrokes box at Celtic Park for a midweek fixture through my mate's cousin. Ladbrokes were behind the Premium Rate phoneline updates and it worked like this. The "commentator" would phone in his match update after major incidents and provide a brief summary. We would all have to sit quietly while he did this short 30 second update. Here's the thing though, he was also doing the commentary for other matches that were going on and he did that by checking the Teletext on the tv in the back of the box and then phoning in an update on that match when the score changed. Unsuspecting punters would be phoning their premium rate lines for an update about a match where all they were getting was slower than Teletext.

Hearts lost 1 nil to a late Andy Paton goal and LondonHearts records an attendance of under 17k, crap game, we wuz robbed! and you can have that match report for free

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You had 3 options

1 - Go to the game

3 - Wait for the evening's highlights avoiding the finding out the score. Pre Internet and 24 hour news and Sports channels, it wasn't THAT hard to do.

'No Hiding Place'

We may be of a similar mind. I have been thinking about all of your same points since Sunday.

Classic twist to the tale

Lord Beni of Gorgie

FA Cup Final wasn't shown because the Scottish Cup Final was played the same day. Extra time and the replay was shown in 1970 Chelsea v Leeds.

The Scottish Cup Final wasn't shown live regularly until the 1980s.

The only 2 'live' games shown regularly were

Scotland v England

European Cup final (if there was no game in Scotland taking place).

Rangers Cup Winners Cup win in 1972 wasn't shown live because Scotland were playing Wales the same night

1972052402.jpg

1972052405.jpg

I'd wager 1977 every Scottish Cup Final since then. Replays only got highlights though the classic of 1979 the second replay got zero coverage not even radio

Of course 90% plus of live games are on pay tv

days of 20 million in UK watching a game on tv are over (for now at least)

I'd wager 1977 every Scottish Cup Final since then. Replays only got highlights though the classic of 1979 the second replay got zero coverage not even radio

I recall 1976 being last final NOT live

so if there are no streams kicking around and sport scene show highlights that night will anyone avoid the score?

The Real Maroonblood

so if there are no streams kicking around and sport scene show highlights that night will anyone avoid the score?

Couldn't handle that scenario.

The Real Maroonblood, on 09 Feb 2016 - 7:41 PM, said:The Real Maroonblood, on 09 Feb 2016 - 7:41 PM, said:

done it years ago and more recently ( sure it was last season) when alba showed a whole rerun of one of our games at 5 or 5.30pm

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I would need to be sectioned. It is going to be unbearable as it is

you will probably find out at the start of sportscene anyway by pats reaction before they play the game

Viper, on 09 Feb 2016 - 7:46 PM, said:

you will probably find out at the start of sportscene anyway by pats reaction before they play the game

exactly you would need to miss the intro

Earlier on Sportsound said they would be covering both Kilmarnock v Rangers and Hibs v Hearts

hedging their bets on live commentary

Mikey1874, on 09 Feb 2016 - 7:51 PM, said:

Earlier on Sportsound said they would be covering both Kilmarnock v Rangers and Hibs v Hearts

hedging their bets on live commentary

or open all mics

Great question! Of course like others I have done exactly that in the past but now with so many temptations I dont think I could be that strong. You would have to lock yourself away in a room with no communication from anything or anyone. Just checked sky planner and BBC are showing Holby at 1030 although that could change.

SectionDJambo

We used to go to the top of the hill at Carfraemill with a black and white tv, connected to a car battery to watch the FA Cup final.

Carry out and sitting outside in the sunshine watching the game.

There used to be organised trips by social clubs, around here,to pubs in the borders every year to see the games.

A live game in Scotland was a major event.

You had 3 options

1 - Go to the game

'No Hiding Place'

Radio? Pocket Hitachi transistor surely.

You had 3 options

1 - Go to the game

'No Hiding Place'

Or, if you happened to be resident on campus in California you went to the library on a Tuesday to find Monday's edition of The Times showing Saturday's results with bugger all of a match description. The only live footage I saw in my time there was the Bradford fire and Heysel shambles - both due to their newsworthiness rather than any sporting content.

Until certainly the latter part of the 80s,live radio commentary only started from the 40th minute of games for some reason.

Spent quite a bit of time abroad as a student in the 1970s. If you missed the results on the World Service on Saturday, you had to wait until Monday's sports papers, which usually carried the Scottish results. Or you could phone home at enormous expense if you were really desperate for the result, which I frequently was. I remember charging around like a madman when I picked up a fuzzy World Service results programme that informed me we had beaten Hibs 2-1 at Easter Road - our only competitive away win over them in that decade.

Goldstone Wonder

I remember "watching" a Scottish Cop quarter-final penalty shoot-out between Morton and Motherwell on teletext! Was great fun! Think it was the year Motherwell won the cup so 1993.

I remember "watching" a Scottish Cop quarter-final penalty shoot-out between Morton and Motherwell on teletext! Was great fun! Think it was the year Motherwell won the cup so 1993.

1991 it was and they did beat Morton 5-4 on pens in the quarters. That was some final, possibly the best game I've seen in Scotland not involving Hearts.

Waiting to buy The Pink to find out the score

Or

Watching the results coming in, amongst a group of other saddos, who never spoke to one another, outside a Telly shop like Radio Rentals.

Until certainly the latter part of the 80s,live radio commentary only started from the 40th minute of games for some reason.

Sportsound had a long standing contract to start commentary at 1540. It lasted into the nineties.

There was a game v. Celtic, January 1997, iirc, that I couldn't attend. Don't recall why, but the kick off was delayed at least 40 minutes and because of that Sportsound were able to provide commentary of the entire match.

We lost 1-2.

Spent quite a bit of time abroad as a student in the 1970s. If you missed the results on the World Service on Saturday, you had to wait until Monday's sports papers, which usually carried the Scottish results. Or you could phone home at enormous expense if you were really desperate for the result, which I frequently was. I remember charging around like a madman when I picked up a fuzzy World Service results programme that informed me we had beaten Hibs 2-1 at Easter Road - our only competitive away win over them in that decade.

I was there! O'connor and McQuade I think. Went to my (Leith !) school on Monday a very rare and happy Jambo. Got an absolute kicking but didn't feel a thing.

Goldstone Wonder

1991 it was and they did beat Morton 5-4 on pens in the quarters. That was some final, possibly the best game I've seen in Scotland not involving Hearts.

I was actually at the final in the Dundee Utd end. You're correct of course. I think the Huns beat Aberdeen at Parkhead in '93.

Goldstone Wonder

Waiting to buy The Pink to find out the score

Or

Watching the results coming in, amongst a group of other saddos, who never spoke to one another, outside a Telly shop like Radio Rentals.

This! Punching the air in Princes Street when a Hearts away victory came in on Final Score!

How could I forget!

Especially bad if your match was on page 7 of 11 and you'd be on page 8.

Horrific. It was always about 10mins behind match play as well.

I remember with Ceefax you could keep on the same page and press one of the buttons on the remote which allowed you to watch Grandstand and the page number would appear in the corner of the screen if there was any changes in the scorelines

Archived