Independent Financial Advisor

itsnomarooned

itsnomarooned

Anyone got any recommendations? A guy me and Mrs itsnomarooned have used has let us down recently, not in terms of advice but more reliability, so maybe looking to take our business elsewhere.  Anyone have a good tale to tell of someone they've used?  Prefer someone local (our guy is based in Dunbar which is a bit of a pain).

itsnomarooned

Where do you live? Is it mortgage or other financial advice you need?

In Edinburgh. Right at the moment it's a mortgage we're after but once that's settled we'll want to plan ahead etc. so other advice in the future too.

do people still use financial advisors? try google ... and advise yourself!

That would hard as a lot of companies products are on an advice only basis.  Also depending on the level of advice needed by the OP

itsnomarooned

Thanks for the couple of recommendations - will investigate for future financial stuff but leaning towards securing our own mortgage, i.e. moneysavingexpert site.  Anyone else successfully done this?  I've got my cars via the internet for the last 10 years so why should this be any different - right?

Placid Casual

Thanks for the couple of recommendations - will investigate for future financial stuff but leaning towards securing our own mortgage, i.e. moneysavingexpert site.  Anyone else successfully done this?  I've got my cars via the internet for the last 10 years so why should this be any different - right?

For mortgage advice, I highly recommend the Centre for Independent Mortgage Advice on Leith Walk (ask for Greg Mcnicoll).

They are extremely helpful and explain everything in very clear terms.

www.cfima.co.uk

Try Bryan Dow Financial Services on Ratcliffe Tce. Has sorted our mortgage for last few years. Good Jambo as well.

Well. I used him for years before he tried to persuade me to switch lenders when I'd be just as well sticking with the one I already had at a better rate.

I once tried using a mortgage broker back in 2006 as my Bank of Scotland one was wanting to charge a fortune after my 2 year initial deal. The broker found some for me but nowhere near as good as the one I found myself at HSBC - 0.48% above base rate life tracker. I mentioned it to the broker and even he was impressed by it. Luckily just after getting that, the interest rates dropped from 5%ish down to 0.5%. Probably the best financial decision I ever made as it has saved us a fortune.

So brokers not necessarily better than doing your own research would be my advice.

I did my homework a few years ago when buying my first place.

Go into money.com, money supermarket etc and have a look at figures. Then go directly onto the lenders website and see if it stacks up.

My solicitor advised me to go and see a broker to make sure I knew what I was doing (first time buyer). So went along and showed him my offer and rate, he looked at me and after about 10 minutes basically said he didn't know if it was beginners luck but he couldn't beat my deal.

Do your homework. Easier nowadays then it would've been 25 years ago with no internet.

Archived