Roman Bednar: continued

cosanostra

Big fatty boom boom or wasted talent at Tynie???

My last post before we got shunted over to the newbie forum

---------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy McClure

Funny how we see things differently cos he looked fat as feck and like he was blowing out of his erse most of the time I saw him.

The guy is a professional sportsman. Why should he need coaching staff to hold his hand when it comes to not putting weight on.

He had made up his mind he wanted a crack at England IMO.

I think you are right to an extent in that he had fitness issues. A decent management system would have recognised that and not played him until he was fit, focused and motivated, but we had the Vlad / fax machine set up. There were changes in management regularly, experienced players and friends leaving and being treated like dirt and god knows what else went on.

Bednar was young, immature, self centred etc like many of our players. Also like many footballers, they need discipline and firm guidance to keep performing. Bednar had that to begin with and then he had nothing to look up to, just a succession of failures and stooges. I agree that Bednar is probably best forgotten about because he will never give 100% if forced to return, but it's not him that I blame for wasting a potential goal machine for Hearts.

Also, it wasn't just his goals that made him great. He was a team player, could hold the ball up well, link up well, made great runs into the channels and he seemed popular with the rest of the players and the fans loved him. Vlad, with his lack of football knowledge and failure to appoint an effective management structure and let them do their job messed all of that up.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's fair to say Bednar is proving those who said he wasn't any good wrong.

that would be me!!!

shame he's doing it at another fecking club!! :vangry:

I think it's fair to say Bednar is proving those who said he wasn't any good wrong.

To be fair, he was absolutely ****ing woeful at us, so you couldn't blame the people for forming those opinions based on his performances for Hearts.

Guest JamboRobbo
To be fair, he was absolutely ****ing woeful at us, so you couldn't blame the people for forming those opinions based on his performances for Hearts.

I'd say he was excellent at Hearts when he played under a manager.

Like many players, he was poor without the guidance/support/encouragement/kick up the backside etc that a manager provides.

And sure enough, under a manager, he's performing again.

Like many players, he was poor without the guidance/support/encouragement/kick up the backside etc that a manager provides.

SPOT ON!

I'd have cancelled his contract after he got injured against Rangers, sent off for diving against Partick Thistle and went missing in the pie shop, personally.

Sorry Neave but you must have missed quite a few games Badnar played.

I'm gonna have to disagree with your first paragraph, JR: I thought he showed some potential but was far from excellent.

I agree with your second paragraph to an extent in the sense that fans, as a whole, are more likely to blame a player for his dip of form than any ulterior source, but, with the amount of money these guys are paid to do very little work (also bearing in mind also that they're not wee boys requiring to be held by the hand 24/7) you would expect them to want to do well for themselves and the fans and not let mitigating circumstances over which they have no control affect their game.

Couple this with an inability/unwillingness to get match fit/put in proper effort and you had a very poorly performing player with too many 'ifs' and 'buts' synonymous to him, completing disabling him from showing/fulfilling any potential he might have had.

skotskosparta

I would say so, not good enough for Hearts, yet he is banging the goals at WBA.

As for being over weight, maybe this is a new tactic in Hearts training, by the looks of things the lad Nade is a tad on the heavy side!

Sorry Neave but you must have missed quite a few games Badnar played.

Mate, he had no touch, no fitness, no positional sense, no composure and very little pace and finishing ability. And I've missed a handful of games in about 2 years.

I would say so, not good enough for Hearts, yet he is banging the goals at WBA.

As for being over weight, maybe this is a new tactic in Hearts training, by the looks of things the lad Nade is a tad on the heavy side!

It worked for JPhn Robertson!!

ToadKiller Dog

Its easy to be banging in goals at west brom ,they are the form team and arguably have the best squad in that league,clum would score goals for the baggies ,would he be banging them in at a bottom poor team in the championship??.

His comments in the ******(if true) are arrogant and do not show him in a good light.

Think he is capable of being a good/very good player but seems a goodtime johnny and not a worker.

Its easy to be banging in goals at west brom ,they are the form team and arguably have the best squad in that league,clum would score goals for the baggies ,would he be banging them in at a bottom poor team in the championship??.

His comments in the ******(if true) are arrogant and do not show him in a good light.

Think he is capable of being a good/very good player but seems a goodtime johnny and not a worker.

It was not so long ago he was saying he wanted to stay at West Brom and now he says he is keeping his options open. :)

Guest Dipped Flake

Can't see him ever coming back to us now which is a shame as he is now showing the form that Burley assured us he had

He was woeful at us because Marvyn ANdrews snapped him in half in the game we beat Rangers at Tynie - and he got away with it - maybe it was because he was a good Christian.

i think the problem with Bednar and most players is that they thrive on confidence and theres not been much of that at Tynecastle lately also the fact that most of our players dont seem to be fit gives the impression that whoever was taking training over the last year or so wasnt any good at it.

He was woeful at us because Marvyn ANdrews snapped him in half in the game we beat Rangers at Tynie - and he got away with it - maybe it was because he was a good Christian.

I heard on BBC radio Scotland a list of 6 players that all required hospital treatment as a result of challenges from Marvin Andrews.

Bednar was one.

George Shaw was another, Andrews broke his ankle.

There was a goalie who was knocked unconscious as well but his name escapes me.

Can't see him ever coming back to us now which is a shame as he is now showing the form that Burley assured us he had

I think you will find that he still has a contract to us which still has about 2 years to go.

If hearts want him back then he will have to come back,end of.

I think you will find that he still has a contract to us which still has about 2 years to go.

Yeah, that'll be because Hearts signed him up on a 'proper' contract after he was good during his loan spell from Kaunas.

Sadly, the minute this happened he became fat and useless. Or that's how it appeared anyway. I imagine it had quite a bit to do with us not having a manager too.

TBH I was hoping that Bednar might come back motivated if we appointed a decent manager. I accept this is probably lunacy.

Yeah, that'll be because Hearts signed him up on a 'proper' contract after he was good during his loan spell from Kaunas.

Sadly, the minute this happened he became fat and useless. Or that's how it appeared anyway. I imagine it had quite a bit to do with us not having a manager too.

TBH I was hoping that Bednar might come back motivated if we appointed a decent manager. I accept this is probably lunacy.

Your correct,he begged for a contract after the cup final,got it,started the season on fire scoring 2 against Celtic and then virtually done **** all after.

Your correct,he begged for a contract after the cup final,got it,started the season on fire scoring 2 against Celtic and then virtually done **** all after.

Actually you could argue he scored a hat-trick against Celtic that day - his third was chalked off for a very dodgy offside, IIRC.

And yes, having got us all excited he then did more or less nothing else.

A terrible waste of talent.

He had IT, and we all know it. We saw it with our very own eyes.

But the poor way the club was/is run devalued him and wasted his talent to nothing. And it's happened to a few of our players, not just Roman.

A terrible waste of talent.

He had IT, and we all know it. We saw it with our very own eyes.

But the poor way the club was/is run devalued him and wasted his talent to nothing. And it's happened to a few of our players, not just Roman.

So if that is the case then how come players like Jonsson and Driver have progressed under the same regime then?.

A lot of it is down to the players attitude imo.

hearts @ heart
So if that is the case then how come players like Jonsson and Driver have progressed under the same regime then?.

A lot of it is down to the players attitude imo.

Good point.

For the more cynical umongst us might say its there only way out.;)

Fair play to him for doing well at West Brom. 8 goals in 13 games.

But at Hearts, other than a couple of decent spells, he was not good enough. 13 goals in 50 games.

I'd rather have Velicka who has never played under a proper manager at Hearts but has managed to score more goals than Bednar. Of course we need another striker but I don't think Bednar is the answer.

Thought that he showed flashes of talent which is why Mowbray wanted him down there, and that has shown that he definately needed a manager to inspire him, it's a shame he'll never do it fo us again but here's hoping that we get a good wad of cash from an overzealous cash splashing team!!

Heres what the WBA fans think

http://www.westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=24090.0

trying to choose between Ishmael Miller or Roman and almost everyone who posted picked Bednar - even a few comments that he is their most complete striker!!

That saddens me a little reading that.

A fit and hungry (no pun in 10 did etc) would be great in our squad right now.

From Perth to Paisley
That saddens me a little reading that.

A fit and hungry (no pun in 10 did etc) would be great in our squad right now.

Same here.

I always thought Roman showed potential and it looks like he's going to realise that potential elsewhere. Whilst we're crying out for a striker to partner Velicka.

that would be me!!!

shame he's doing it at another fecking club!! :vangry:

Shame the Vlad politics kept him out of our starting team and he had to look for another club to restore his confidence and sanity.

Im not sure I buy this notion that he needs a manager for him to play well. Hes a professional footballer he should take it upon himself to get fit and try and perform.

He didnt do this IMO so hey ho.

kind of pi55es me off seeing the player we know we should have had.saying that he definately doesnt want to come back is even more annoying,the lazy barsteward.

I always like Roman B, showed good pottential but due to injuries and Hearts random team selection over the years, never got a run in the team.

Just shows you what a stable team setup and a run in the first team can do for a player.

winston churchill

correct.

bring sick note back and put him in the stiffs

I'm gonna have to disagree with your first paragraph, JR: I thought he showed some potential but was far from excellent.

I agree with your second paragraph to an extent in the sense that fans, as a whole, are more likely to blame a player for his dip of form than any ulterior source, but, with the amount of money these guys are paid to do very little work (also bearing in mind also that they're not wee boys requiring to be held by the hand 24/7) you would expect them to want to do well for themselves and the fans and not let mitigating circumstances over which they have no control affect their game.

Couple this with an inability/unwillingness to get match fit/put in proper effort and you had a very poorly performing player with too many 'ifs' and 'buts' synonymous to him, completing disabling him from showing/fulfilling any potential he might have had.

Perhaps if you are given the opportunity instead of playing musical players from a fax machine the performances would improve. Fact of reality is with Romanov you could have a stormer of a game and then miss the next 10 for no known reason. That to me would damper ones enthusiasm whether a pro or amateur.

Folk on here would be wetting themselves if we were linked with someone with his scoring record down there. Bednar is unique in that he scores loads for a well run club, but is still "pish" according to some.

every time he scores surely the value rises !!!!!

Aye, pitty WBA have an agreement in place for a price thats been set.

Archived