"Class Not Recognised" on Windows 10

The Gasman

Every time I try to open a photo in a folder on my laptop, I get an error message coming up saying "class not recognised".

I've tried Google and YouTube for a solution, but not found one that works....

Can any of you computer literate guys help out a complete technonumpty with an easy fix..?

Get the command prompt and type 'sfc /scannow' exactly like this (note the space between sfc and /)

It will scan your pc and tell you its all fine. Restart pc and try again.

This works if your icons bar disappears and start button not working on windows 10.

Maybe worth a try m8

...a bit disco

'Class not recognised'?

Did you buy the laptop from a Hibs fan perchance?

Get the command prompt and type 'sfc /scannow' exactly like this (note the space between sfc and /)

It will scan your pc and tell you its all fine. Restart pc and try again.

This works if your icons bar disappears and start button not working on windows 10.

Maybe worth a try m8

Thanks, I've tried this, and other suggestions to type in, but it's as if they don't actually run.... :(

Thanks, I've tried this, and other suggestions to type in, but it's as if they don't actually run.... :(

Has to be exact as the won't work otherwise. Does windows 10 have a safe mode?

Maybe try to access that first :-)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591645/i-keep-getting-the-class-not-registered-error/

Also look here m8 if you use chrome, change it.

Has to be exact as the won't work otherwise. Does windows 10 have a safe mode?

Maybe try to access that first :-)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591645/i-keep-getting-the-class-not-registered-error/

Also look here m8 if you use chrome, change it.

Right, Google Chrome dumped, and Microsoft Edge set as default browser....

I've followed this - to the letter - but where they expect it to start running its checks, I just get this coming up..?

5e1c7997f287ea564053e286252717bf.jpg

Have you tried going into Settings -> System -> Default Apps and then clicking 'Reset?

It sounds like a dodgy entry in the Windows registry.

Before going to the extreme of a system reset, running a registry cleaner program would probably help.

On previous versions of Windows I would run Norton Utilities to scan and fix. There is probably a good free alternative.

Looks like there is a DOS command for it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/183887

The Windows event viewer may be able to give you more details on the error. I'm on a tablet just now so can't give any better instructions for now. Just google how to check the event viewer it's pretty straightforward.

Okay, Norton Utilities downloaded and run....

Still the same error message popping up telling me "class not registered". :cry:

I've googled how to go into the Windows Events Viewer - but I don't know what it's actually telling me....

cd3fc5bebf7b01f8046cc48feb3dce78.jpg

649f13fa5717e66e6ddfb9b87d49fb39.jpg

From the event log, try expanding the entries (via the tree +) and look for errors that are around the times you see the message.

You are looking for a message associated to some program.

On the other hand, can you pin the issue down to a program being installed? If so, firstly try uninstalling it and see if issue is fixed.

From the event log, try expanding the entries (via the tree +) and look for errors that are around the times you see the message.

You are looking for a message associated to some program.

On the other hand, can you pin the issue down to a program being installed? If so, firstly try uninstalling it and see if issue is fixed.

I was just copying some of my own photos into a new folder when I started getting the message coming up, and I get it when trying to open any thumbnail image.... [emoji45]

Right click on one of the pictures. (I presume they are all the same pic type)

Hover on "open with" then click on "Choose another app".

Click on "Windows Photo Viewer"...  Enable "Always use this app to open xxxx files"...   Click OK.

Archived