.sco - new internet domain name

Toggie88

There's currently a campaign on the go to get a Scottish domain name.

It follows from the successful application by Catalonia, who have now got a .cat domain.

A petition has been launched with the Scottish Parliament, which can be signed/viewed by clicking here.

What are KB's thoughts on it?

hughesie27

Makes no real difference to anything really does it? As far as I can see it's basically only causing hassle.

.com + .co.uk keep things nice and easy to remember.

Makes no real difference to anything really does it? As far as I can see it's basically only causing hassle.

.com + .co.uk keep things nice and easy to remember.

But you've also got .org, .net, org.uk, .eu, .ca, .it, .esp, .gov, .fr etc etc.

It allows the Scots language and culture is a community that we believe should be identified with its own domain on the internet. Under a .SCO domain those organisations, companies and people that express themselves in the Scots language and/or wish to encourage Scots culture will be able to be registered and will be clearly identifiable. As well as those organisations that are based in Scotland, and won't to be identified as such.

hughesie27

Okay but realistically who frequently uses sites with domains like .fr .de ect other than people from those countries? Similarly domains like .org and .net rarely ever get used and even when they do they don't represent anything other than another option. You also need to ask What kind of sites will be using this .sco method? Scottish companies and TV websites. Who really goes on and socially browses big companies websites. When was the last time you were on STV's website?

Ultimately, the domain of a site does not determine it's content, nor would it encourage me to be more Scottish. How can you encourage the nations identity online anyway apart from typing how we actually speak. 'Ken whit a mean?' Or alternatively jsut speaking ourselves up over a messageboard like this. ''Scotland's history is second to none!''

Even then though, as I said before only Scottish peopel would eb the ones who actually read it.

portobellojambo1

It allows the Scots language and culture is a community that we believe should be identified with its own domain on the internet. Under a .SCO domain those organisations, companies and people that express themselves in the Scots language and/or wish to encourage Scots culture will be able to be registered and will be clearly identifiable. As well as those organisations that are based in Scotland, and won't to be identified as such.

Understand that :wacko:.

Would imagine tourists logging onto the internet would find it difficult to determine that visitscotland.co.uk was about Scotland, but would have no problems if it were changed to visitscotland.sco.

Must be some thick feckers logging onto the internet.

Honestly don't see the point. The important part of the website is the content so what difference does the end of the name make?

Okay but realistically who frequently uses sites with domains like .fr .de ect other than people from those countries? Similarly domains like .org and .net rarely ever get used and even when they do they don't represent anything other than another option. You also need to ask What kind of sites will be using this .sco method? Scottish companies and TV websites. Who really goes on and socially browses big companies websites. When was the last time you were on STV's website?

Ultimately, the domain of a site does not determine it's content, nor would it encourage me to be more Scottish. How can you encourage the nations identity online anyway apart from typing how we actually speak. 'Ken whit a mean?' Or alternatively jsut speaking ourselves up over a messageboard like this. ''Scotland's history is second to none!''

Even then though, as I said before only Scottish peopel would eb the ones who actually read it.

I fail to see your point.

Correct it the domain doesn't determine the content. So?

Why not just have the one domain name then for everything?

Your attitude isn't helping the stereotypical teenage approach to life, Hughesie - "what's the point in anything?"

FWIW I use the STV site on a daily basis.

hughesie27

Your attitude isn't helping the stereotypical teenage approach to life, Hughesie - "what's the point in anything?"

That's pretty patronising. If you fail to see my point then how can yu come to that conclusion?

What I'm saying is why have a seprate domain? The sites such as .fr or .de only get used by people from those nations. It doesn't help promote themselves as a country to any other nations other than their own. I'm guessing the reason for this change in domain would be in order to promote the nation when/if it becomes independant?

Then you need to consider which sites will have this new domain? Go through you average Scot's Favourites and you will see lots of .com's and co.uk's. Not too many/if any will be 'Scottish' sites I can only think of 2 sites that would benefit from this change. The governments and STV's apart from that why would any website need to change?

If my attitude was 'What's the point' then hy would I be giving my thoughts as you requested?

The People's Chimp

It's just another bandwagoneering nat attempt to convince us all that we already are practically independent, so why not go the whole hog eh!?

Look, we can be a big grown up country, we have our own domain name! :wacko:

Hmm...http://www.stv.tv

Toggie, are you called Maureen at the weekends? ;)

Hmm...http://www.stv.tv

Toggie, are you called Maureen at the weekends? ;)

Watt? ;)

That's pretty patronising. If you fail to see my point then how can yu come to that conclusion?

What I'm saying is why have a seprate domain? The sites such as .fr or .de only get used by people from those nations. It doesn't help promote themselves as a country to any other nations other than their own. I'm guessing the reason for this change in domain would be in order to promote the nation when/if it becomes independant?

Then you need to consider which sites will have this new domain? Go through you average Scot's Favourites and you will see lots of .com's and co.uk's. Not too many/if any will be 'Scottish' sites I can only think of 2 sites that would benefit from this change. The governments and STV's apart from that why would any website need to change?

If my attitude was 'What's the point' then hy would I be giving my thoughts as you requested?

It's not as if everyone must change over, it's completely up to everyone if they want it. No website would NEED to change, but many would choose to do so.

.fr, .esp, .it etc are only really used by folk from those countries, with a few exception - but we're a country.

Organisations such as the National Museum of Scotland have been asking for one for years.

It's not just nationalist propaganda. It's got cross-party support.

It just appears you have 'Kevin from Harry Enfield syndrome', "what's the point in a domain name?", "what's the point of voting?".

I'd prefer .sco.uk.

Being a country in our own right, aswell as being a proud part of the Union?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

FFS who cares?!

Just seems like petty point scoring. How much will this cost (if anything)?

I like co.uk and .com!

If having a websites address ending in .sco is your thing then fill your boots but, at the end of the day, an address is an address so unless it fills you with nationalistic pride I fail to see the big deal about it.

Off tangent a bit but I dislike the way all things Scottish now have to use the word Scot(tish) in the prefix or suffix of their name.

Starting a betting shop, better call it Scot Bet.

An airline? Better call it Scot Air.

I await with baited breath someone imaginatively calling their new shoe selling emporium Scot Shoe.:mad:

I feel a lot better getting that off my chest.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Why do we want a .SCO?

Because the Scots language and culture is a community that we believe should be identified with its own domain on the internet. Under a .SCO domain those organisations, companies and people that express themselves in the Scots language and/or wish to encourage Scots culture will be able to be registered and will be clearly identifiable.

http://www.dotsco.org/

nice cut and paste toggie.

Nice to know that the Scottish ***********s are focussing on the big issues.

Edit : It gets censored? :laugh:

Why do we want a .SCO?

Because the Scots language and culture is a community that we believe should be identified with its own domain on the internet. Under a .SCO domain those organisations, companies and people that express themselves in the Scots language and/or wish to encourage Scots culture will be able to be registered and will be clearly identifiable.

http://www.dotsco.org/

nice cut and paste toggie.

I wonder who runs the website...

Nice to know that the Scottish ***********s are focussing on the big issues.

Edit : It gets censored? :laugh:

It's got nothing to do with the SNP.

Bad news day for the Seperatists 55000 students liable for LIT.Toggie comes to his masters rescue with garbage about internet domains.

Well done boy.Heres your bone

Buffalo Bill

I think the real issues that face this country is how to get those god-awful neds off the street whilst promoting prosperity and community.

But if having a domain that says .sco is the big concern for our nation's young politicians then so be it. :P

Buffalo Bill

I think the real issues that face this country is how to get those god-awful neds off the street whilst promoting prosperity and community.

But if having a domain that says .sco is the big concern for our nation's young politicians then so be it. :P

Buffalo Bill

Not a major concern.

We could all spend more of our time cleaning our communities, volunteering etc, but instead we spend a hell of a lot of time on an internet forum, or blow bucket loads of cash on a football team.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Euan McCreath moved to Australia over a year ago.

He owns the website and all his details still show as such. Why would someone so committed to independence move to Australia?

He owns the website and all his details still show as such. Why would someone so committed to independence move to Australia?

Work. He works in IT setting up websites...hence dotSco.

Don't honestly care SUSS, believe what you want.

I am always put off by websites that don't have .com/co uk not sure why!

Domain racist! :)

Surely it should be .scot

You need to think about the way it rolls of the tongue. dot scoh is clearly missing something, dot scot rhymes!

Guest S.U.S.S.
Work. He works in IT setting up websites...hence dotSco.

Don't honestly care SUSS, believe what you want.

So you run and update the website?

Buffalo Bill
Not a major concern.

We could all spend more of our time cleaning our communities, volunteering etc, but instead we spend a hell of a lot of time on an internet forum, or blow bucket loads of cash on a football team.

Which is a good point.

In this country, there is a comfortable, 'slackers' mindset that takes us away from things like political activism.

It's like that image of those neds on the street corner; or teenage, single mums; or warring families on run-down council estates. It’s a depressing situation; all washed down with Super-Sized Coke, Big Mac and fries.

But I can ay least sit here on Kickback knowing that I contribute to society; and that I’ve learned one or two things since I’ve started posting on here. Hell, it’s better than watching ‘Britain’s Got No Talent’.

Who knows Toggie, maybe one day you’ll become and MSP. If you do, then good luck with that. But I hope to god that this ?450M up-turned boat, granite impression of the Wester Hailes Shopping Centre tackles the issues that matter to the man and woman in the street; and not on the internet.

I apologise for going off topic here (although I know that this stuff is relevant to you) but the day any political party finds a solution to the social (or anti-social) problems that shame Scotland is the day they win my vote.

Hell, I might even see you at Carrick Knowe Church with my wee rosette!

Buffalo Bill

So you run and update the website?

I didn't say that.

I take part in and support dotSCO, including writing the odd blurb for the website.

Which is a good point.

In this country, there is a comfortable, 'slackers' mindset that takes us away from things like political activism.

It's like that image of those neds on the street corner; or teenage, single mums; or warring families on run-down council estates. It?s a depressing situation; all washed down with Super-Sized Coke, Big Mac and fries.

But I can ay least sit here on Kickback knowing that I contribute to society; and that I?ve learned one or two things since I?ve started posting on here. Hell, it?s better than watching ?Britain?s Got No Talent?.

Who knows Toggie, maybe one day you?ll become and MSP. If you do, then good luck with that. But I hope to god that this ?450M up-turned boat, granite impression of the Wester Hailes Shopping Centre tackles the issues that matter to the man and woman in the street; and not on the internet.

I apologise for going off topic here (although I know that this stuff is relevant to you) but the day any political party finds a solution to the social (or anti-social) problems that shame Scotland is the day they win my vote.

Hell, I might even see you at Carrick Knowe Church with my wee rosette!

Buffalo Bill

I agree, BB.

And for the record, the most input any MSPs have had in this campaign have been signing the petition.

It is not an SNP campaign, do SNP members support it? Yes. But so do members of other parties.

THe group was set up to urge the Scottish Government to make an application to ICANN, something the Welsh Government have done.

I agree that the things we, as a society, should be tackling should be things like poverty, social housing, drug abuse and generally neddy-ness. However, it's wrong to focus on other things. If we all put everything out of our minds and focussed on stuff like that, then yes maybe we would live in a better world, but it's not happening.

How many of us watch TV for a couple of hours a night? How many of us spend countless hours sat on here? The time could be spent doing more, productive things...why isn't?

Guest S.U.S.S.
I wonder who runs the website...

I didn't say that.

I take part in and support dotSCO, including writing the odd blurb for the website.

So you just tried to imply you did run the website then. That clears that up then thanks.

FWIW, i think it would be a good idea, cant hurt to have .sco imo, yes there are many many more important things, but we should not lose sight of other things like this that can allow those that wish to define them self a little more.

FWIW, i think it would be a good idea, cant hurt to have .sco imo, yes there are many many more important things, but we should not lose sight of other things like this that can allow those that wish to define them self a little more.

That's my point.

Thanks for agreeing.

Guest S.U.S.S.
That's my point.

Thanks for agreeing.

Im fully aware thats ur point, i agree i dont see any harm in it, i dont agree with pretending to run a website that you dont run tho.

Im fully aware thats ur point, i agree i dont see any harm in it, i dont agree with pretending to run a website that you dont run tho.

Never once said I run the website.

The guy that does is sitting 1ft away though.

No need to be pedantic.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Never once said I run the website.

The guy that does is sitting 1ft away though.

No need to be pedantic.

You clearly tried to imply that it was you, admit it. Your involvement probably stops at getting him a tea with sugar.

You clearly tried to imply that it was you, admit it. Your involvement probably stops at getting him a tea with sugar.

Not quite...

He doesn't drink tea anyway;)

Guest S.U.S.S.
Not quite...

He doesn't drink tea anyway;)

Damn, knew i should have went with coffee!;)

If Toggie ever does become a politician, I know someone who has embarrassing photographs of him :biggrin:

Archived