how long to wait on ebay payment

BM1874

May have see me in the seethe thread.

How long should i wait for a payment for an item on ebay?

Sold an item.last tuesday night, bidder in the last 30 seconds of auction, but no payment as yet, admittibly I didnt send an invoice until Friday (new to this and didnt give me that option on the app) but its now almost a week since bidding ended and ive not heard a peep.

Sent 4 messages, all polite asking about payment but nothing.

Had another item that ended same time, buyer paid yday but bloody annoying.

So anyone else have this issue and how long did u wait before cancelling and opening a dispute?

Never waited more than a couple of days,since the invoice was sent on Friday I'd give it until tomorrow. He/she May have been away over the weekend?

May have see me in the seethe thread.

How long should i wait for a payment for an item on ebay?

Sold an item.last tuesday night, bidder in the last 30 seconds of auction, but no payment as yet, admittibly I didnt send an invoice until Friday (new to this and didnt give me that option on the app) but its now almost a week since bidding ended and ive not heard a peep.

Sent 4 messages, all polite asking about payment but nothing.

Had another item that ended same time, buyer paid yday but bloody annoying.

So anyone else have this issue and how long did u wait before cancelling and opening a dispute?

I usually give folk 7 days, if no payment received by then I then open 'An unpaid Item' case through eBay, by doing so eBay then contact them and if they don't pay within 4 days (IIRC) you can close the case and you will get refunded any fees which eBay have taken.  Sometimes folk don't pay until a case is opened up against them, which I find baffling.  

You can add unpaid user ID's to your block list and that prevents them from doing the same again, which trust me does happen, there really is some strange folk out there.

If you cancel the transaction it gets marked down against you and you don't get your eBay fees back, so open an unpaid item case and it goes against their account.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

You don't have to send them an invoice - they can pay immediately.

Wait the 7 days then log a complaint

I have only ever sold three things, but never sent an invoice. I have also got paid 24-48 hours after the auction ended.

I usually give folk 7 days, if no payment received by then I then open 'An unpaid Item' case through eBay, by doing so eBay then contact them and if they don't pay within 4 days (IIRC) you can close the case and you will get refunded any fees which eBay have taken. Sometimes folk don't pay until a case is opened up against them, which I find baffling.

You can add unpaid user ID's to your block list and that prevents them from doing the same again, which trust me does happen, there really is some strange folk out there.

If you cancel the transaction it gets marked down against you and you don't get your eBay fees back, so open an unpaid item case and it goes against their account.

Alot of good helpful info.

Thanks.

Also to all else who replied thank you.

Giving until 8pm tonight (43 minutes shy of a full week.since bidding ended) then will open the unpaid case.

You can also offer the item to the second or even third highest bidder as a "second chance offer"

Thanks for this. Have opened a case against the buyer and if I have not got my wonga in the next 4 days as per the case, will explore this avenue and offer 2nd place. Ideally they might pay..

Heres hoping anyways

• 5 years later...

Waiting for buyers to pay is no longer the problem on ebay.  It's ebay themselves with their shite new managed payments system.  They no longer use paypal as a seller payment vehicle,  although you can still pay for something via paypal.  Been waiting a week for them to process payments due to me.

After many years and many tens of thousands of pounds worth of sales,  they can **** right off.

Jambo-Jimbo
19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Waiting for buyers to pay is no longer the problem on ebay.  It's ebay themselves with their shite new managed payments system.  They no longer use paypal as a seller payment vehicle,  although you can still pay for something via paypal.  Been waiting a week for them to process payments due to me.

After many years and many tens of thousands of pounds worth of sales,  they can **** right off.

Is this for business accounts or will private accounts also have to sign up to this new system?

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Is this for business accounts or will private accounts also have to sign up to this new system?

All accounts.  It's a bit shit.  Seems to all be weighted to benefit them and not sellers.  They take the same 3.4% or whatever that paypal took.  Ebay now takes their seller fees off at source instead of billing sellers on a monthly basis.  They get their money much quicker and an extra cut... sellers are waiting a week and more for their money.  I'll be bowing out.

Greedy Jambo

I mind selling a petrol radio controlled car on there once. 

The boy didn't pay for days, contacted him and he was like " ohhh my dad says he'll just buy me a new one"

Fuming. 

Jambo-Jimbo
14 hours ago, Victorian said:

All accounts.  It's a bit shit.  Seems to all be weighted to benefit them and not sellers.  They take the same 3.4% or whatever that paypal took.  Ebay now takes their seller fees off at source instead of billing sellers on a monthly basis.  They get their money much quicker and an extra cut... sellers are waiting a week and more for their money.  I'll be bowing out.

I've read up on it and it's being rolled out over this year, I haven't heard anything as yet from them.

Not looking forward to these changes at all.

Ebay is definately on a downward spiral, plus there are too many service problems nowadays, especially lagging, I've seen it sometimes upto 2 hours for items being moved from active to sold/unsold, had a few customers moaning that they can't pay as the won item doesn't have an option for them to pay, and I've read numerious other problems people all over the World are having with the service of Ebay now.

I'm also on Ebid, however they don't have anything near the same amount of traffic as Ebay, however it is another selling portal and the fees are much much less, I've also been looking at a few other options for selling lately, so instead of Ebay being my main selling platform it might well become just one of several selling platforms that I have.

53 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've read up on it and it's being rolled out over this year, I haven't heard anything as yet from them.

Not looking forward to these changes at all.

Ebay is definately on a downward spiral, plus there are too many service problems nowadays, especially lagging, I've seen it sometimes upto 2 hours for items being moved from active to sold/unsold, had a few customers moaning that they can't pay as the won item doesn't have an option for them to pay, and I've read numerious other problems people all over the World are having with the service of Ebay now.

I'm also on Ebid, however they don't have anything near the same amount of traffic as Ebay, however it is another selling portal and the fees are much much less, I've also been looking at a few other options for selling lately, so instead of Ebay being my main selling platform it might well become just one of several selling platforms that I have.

I think sellers have already pied it.  I've noticed on one or two regular searches that there isn't the same volume of items for sale.  

I'm now 8 days on from a couple of sales and still no payout.  Not that I need the money but it's annoying. 

49 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think sellers have already pied it.  I've noticed on one or two regular searches that there isn't the same volume of items for sale.  

I'm now 8 days on from a couple of sales and still no payout.  Not that I need the money but it's annoying. 

I went to sell some ps4 games last month and I couldn't unless I signed up to the new system. I just sold them on facebook with the rest going to a charity shop.

Out of interest, what would be the nest alternatives to ebay for selling?

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Yeh, I've noticed that as well and also the volume of traffic is sometimes a lot lower than it used to be.

25 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

I sold a couple of items on the 5th, dispatched them this morning and my payment arrived just now.

Did you dispatch the items before receiving payment?? 🤯

The Hogfather
5 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Did you dispatch the items before receiving payment?? 🤯

As far as I understand what eBay are doing now, the items were paid for, I had to send them off before eBay would release the payment. I suppose there's nothing to say I couldn't have just said I'd dispatched them and then sent them later I suppose.

• 1 month later...
Jambo-Jimbo

Been on the managed payments for around a month now, no problems thus far, sometimes the processing time is only 1 working day but typically 2 working days.

Had a non-payer, what a difference since the managed payment change over.

Before you had to open an unpaid item case then wait 4 days I think it was before you could close the case and get a refund of any fees etc, now it's instant, after 5 days you can cancel the sale if the buyer hasn't paid and it's cancelled immediately.

I had one today, I'd given the person 8 days and no payment, no response from the buyer either when I contacted them, so on the new seller hub there is an option to cancel the sale, that then gives you a drop-down menu of options, one of them was that the buyer hadn't paid, selected that, confirmed it and that was the sale cancelled immediately.