The all new "yay" thread! (aka the anti-seethe thread)

Jimmy_McNulty

I got an email today from the blood cancer donor register. Turns out I could be a match. Had to give them a medical history, complete a consent form and now I just wait and see. Watch this space!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Dawnrazor

• Morgan

• Helzibob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got an email today from the blood cancer donor register. Turns out I could be a match. Had to give them a medical history, complete a consent form and now I just wait and see. Watch this space!

I certainly don't know the history here, but , the very best of luck to you and all involved  YAY

That's a real 'yay'!

I certainly don't know the history here, but , the very best of luck to you and all involved YAY

I have been on the register for years with no contact at all. I would be donating to a complete stranger if it turns out I'm a close enough match. So, just have to wait and see and I'll potentially have to donate either stem cells (a bit like giving blood) or bone marrow (more invasive and involves an operation and general anaesthetic). I'm happy to do either.

I have been on the register for years with no contact at all. I would be donating to a complete stranger if it turns out I'm a close enough match. So, just have to wait and see and I'll potentially have to donate either stem cells (a bit like giving blood) or bone marrow (more invasive and involves an operation and general anaesthetic). I'm happy to do either.

a huge YAY to you Helzibob, you have to keep us updated, sounds like some publicity to the donation set up wouldn't go amiss either, good luck and all the very best 

a huge YAY to you Helzibob, you have to keep us updated, sounds like some publicity to the donation set up wouldn't go amiss either, good luck and all the very best

Thank you.

Anyone thinking about registering, here's the link.

It takes no time and all you need to do is a couple of cheek swabs.

https://www.dkms.org/en/register

A friend had experimental treatment a couple of years ago and basically it saved her life after a few years of hell with false remissions and relapses. Since the treatment she has gone back to having a normal life, and when she got married last year she invited the donor and did a double page article in the EEN about it to help raise awareness. 

It's a bit like science fiction as it changed her blood type and affected her DNA. But she doesn't give a hoot about that, she's alive.

Edited by Tazio

That's a genuine YAY moment.

Well Done Helzibob :thumb:

Unknown user

Thank you.

Anyone thinking about registering, here's the link.

It takes no time and all you need to do is a couple of cheek swabs.

https://www.dkms.org/en/register

Says it's only for people in the US, do you have another link?

And good for you by the way

Edited by ManMoth

A friend had experimental treatment a couple of years ago and basically it saved her life after a few years of hell with false remissions and relapses. Since the treatment she has gone back to having a normal life, and when she got married last year she invited the donor and did a double page article in the EEN about it to help raise awareness.

It's a bit like science fiction as it changed her blood type and affected her DNA. But she doesn't give a hoot about that, she's alive.

What a fantastic story. So good to hear when it all goes well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Салатные палочки

Absolute Radio this morning.  The Cure followed by Big Audio Dynamite.  

:pleasing: 

No work today, no university today, lie in, off to the gym later and I've finally found the name of a song I like that I've been looking for for ages. Great day so far.

:pleasing::yas:

It's Nena - 99 Red Balloons by the way.

Салатные палочки

No work today, no university today, lie in, off to the gym later and I've finally found the name of a song I like that I've been looking for for ages. Great day so far.

:rofl: it's only been out 35 years.

The German versions 99 Luftballons in case you were wondering [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

:rofl: it's only been out 35 years.

The German versions 99 Luftballons in case you were wondering [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It's because it was in German I couldn't understand the lyrics, literally all I could hear was "99" but even then I wasn't sure about that :lol: .

In my defence I only heard it a few months ago. I randomly found it when I was watching a video of "Happy songs that have dark meanings"...

... it was #1 :peepwall: .

Edited by peter_hmfc

Good to hear.

Probably still going better for you than some of these poor people in Vegas.

Good to hear.

Sorry for sounding like a hall monitor Morgan but you probably shouldn't bring a disagreement from one thread to another.

Don't want to see you getting into bother bud :)

Sorry for sounding like a hall monitor Morgan but you probably shouldn't bring a disagreement from one thread to another.

Don't want to see you getting into bother bud :)

Fair point Ian.

Just annoyed me.

Didn't even know that was in the rules.

I'm pretty sure it is but I could be wrong.

Well, it probably is [or should be] and in that case I apologise in advance.

Thanks Ian, appreciate your advice :thumb:

Edited by Morgan

I won a Facebook competition where I get a free meal for 2 including drinks every month for a year. That made a crappy Monday much better.

I won a Facebook competition where I get a free meal for 2 including drinks every month for a year. That made a crappy Monday much better.

I'd happily take that! Well in :thumbsup:

Good to hear.

First you use the Rooney drink driving / cheating thread for petty point scoring, now you're exploiting the worst shooting massacre in US history to score petty points on a football thread dedicated to being happy?

• 1 month later...

My sister had a baby today, her 2nd via IVF, a girl called Skye. I'm so chuffed for her, her husband and son. It might've taken a lot more intervention and heartbreak but they're now got their perfect family of 4. 

2 hours ago, Helzibob said:

My sister had a baby today, her 2nd via IVF, a girl called Skye. I'm so chuffed for her, her husband and son. It might've taken a lot more intervention and heartbreak but they're now got their perfect family of 4. 

See you on the seethe thread when you agree to babysit :D

p.s. Congratulations :)

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

See you on the seethe thread when you agree to babysit :D

p.s. Congratulations :)

Thankfully they live in Australia so that won't happen very often ??. They came over for a month in the summer. I was on the seethe thread then.

Sitting at the lights outside Doctors pub only to see the 1998 Scottish cup final on the screen , that made me smile ??

3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Sitting at the lights outside Doctors pub only to see the 1998 Scottish cup final on the screen , that made me smile ??

I’m smiling cos you’re smiling mate!

See if you’re stuck in Forest Road much longer?  Nip into Sandy Bells and have a pint for me will you?

:)

5 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Magic! Some days it's just good to be alive eh?

5 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Only one thing to say and it’s :yas:

Delighted to hear good news anytime.

Governor Tarkin

I'm about to board the Manly ferry then get smashed in about all this pinot noir I picked up down Yarra Valley last week. Yay.

Seriously though, some genuine happy stuff going on further up this thread. Keep up the good work folks.

:)

On 02/10/2017 at 18:09, Morgan said:

Good to hear.

Forgot about this. Disgraceful stuff.

On 16/11/2017 at 20:20, Helzibob said:

Yesterday I got a gin advent calendar. Yay indeed. 

1 hour ago, Helzibob said:

The Hearts weren't so good today but for the first time ever I got a win in the half time draw, 2nd, £100. 

Your week!

Brilliant.

Off work for two weeks, going to the Hearts vs Ross County game, Borat is on in about 2 hours, finished an essay that's due for mid-December, actually looking forward to getting stuff done from Monday onwards.

:yas:

Student Loan refund. Turns out I overpaid by a fair bit. Christmas is now completely covered. Going to spoil my two boys rotten. 

About time a bit of luck went my way.

11 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Student Loan refund. Turns out I overpaid by a fair bit. Christmas is now completely covered. Going to spoil my two boys rotten. 

Everyone of my fronds who I know have paid off their student loans overpaid it seems like it is a flaw in their system

• 3 weeks later...

We always use Tescos home delivery and I got my beat upgrade yet. Asked for a litre of whyte and Mackay but there was none left. The litre was on after and actually £2 cheaper than a bottle. In place of the litre in got 2 bottles. 

YAY.

Салатные палочки

Stephane Adam liked one of my FB comments.  

Life is now complete.  

12 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Stephane Adam liked one of my FB comments.  

Life is now complete.  

Same happened to me a couple of months ago, indescribably thrilling!

On 11/20/2017 at 00:13, Der Kaiser said:

Lucky for some!

Worked out that I'm about 15 years away from paying off mine :lol:

Edit - When I'm in my 40's, I'll make sure to check that I haven't overpaid!

Edited by tian447

3 hours ago, tian447 said:

Lucky for some!

Worked out that I'm about 15 years away from paying off mine :lol:

Edit - When I'm in my 40's, I'll make sure to check that I haven't overpaid!

I don’t even seem to be making much of a dent in mine and I graduated 16 years ago ?.

36 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

I don’t even seem to be making much of a dent in mine and I graduated 16 years ago ?.

mine should be cleared in the next 2 or 3 years