The Shed

Graham Thomson

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Your dad is spot on Locky.

For the amount of spraffing he does Morgan he’s bound to be right with some of it. :lol:

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• TyphoonJambo

• Dirkdiggler77

• GinRummy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only saw a few punches thrown and occasional scuffle. I also remember a few guys pretending they were going at it so the police would intervene. But that didn't just happen at Tynecastle. 

8 hours ago, EC_Hearts said:

Confrontations between Edinburgh and Livingston were quite frequent in the early 80's. there was a particulalry large one at Dumfries behind the goals during a scottish cup tie down there (1-1 draw, Peter Shields scored, first time Hearts ran buses from Tynecastle (Parks of hamilton)) can't remember the exact  date.

I was at that one, Drylaw got involved in a big fight at the back of their stand. It was always mental with Drylaw, a great bunch of guys, the Hansen brothers in particular. The drive back from Dumfries was cold though as most of the bus windows had been stoned, the free ice lollies from the freezer somebody had "relocated" from a chip shop helped. I have to say though, I never seen any evidence of Hearts v Hearts  or allocated areas for supporters clubs in the shed.

Love listening and reading stories of how it was back in the day. Most aggro I've ever seen at tynecastle was someone getting shouted at for standing and the people behind couldn't see, terrible scenes Werther's originals flying all over the place.

8 hours ago, Boab said:

If you never got in till the last ten minutes, that would explain the lack of incidents. By that point, there was a huge gap in the " Celtic " end where most of the Hearts were congregated.

i.e. ye missed it !

I was in the ground ( Celtic end)about 2 and as a group of hearts fans gathered approx 2k I thought this is great we’ve got numbers ,then we got bottled and as we scattered I was given a doing by some rangers fans picking off wee laddies .

i was on the platform at 4:30 waiting to get home.

Don't remember Hearts v Hearts but Hearts v just about everyone else was pretty mental. Some that spring to mind were Texaco cup games v Motherwell and Airdrie away. Seem to remember at Tynecastle a little ditty that used to get sung, something like :- 1,2,3 who are we, we are the mental YNT. 

Anyone remember the game against Hibs when some clown decided that, rather than the normal situation where the away fans were given the Gorgie road end, they would reverse things and put Hibs in the Shed. I don't think we even watched the first half an hour as there was a running battle on the terracing as we fought to take the shed back. Couldn't even tell you how the game went. Naughty nowadays but mental as hell then. 

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

Uneventful?

It was horrendous.

correct. Me and my brother spent most of the game dodging bottles, thrown by both sets of fans. At least it took our minds of the game 

3 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

I was at that one, Drylaw got involved in a big fight at the back of their stand. It was always mental with Drylaw, a great bunch of guys, the Hansen brothers in particular. The drive back from Dumfries was cold though as most of the bus windows had been stoned, the free ice lollies from the freezer somebody had "relocated" from a chip shop helped. I have to say though, I never seen any evidence of Hearts v Hearts  or allocated areas for supporters clubs in the shed.

same, Drylaw were always well represented but never seen any gang on gang fighting at Tynie. Some gang songs were sung back in the 70s but that's about it 

26 minutes ago, XB52 said:

correct. Me and my brother spent most of the game dodging bottles, thrown by both sets of fans. At least it took our minds of the game 

Exactly how I recall it too.

Outside the ground was no better.

Early 80s did clerry and livi not have a wee spat.

Also not really gangs but casuals were not tolerated.

84 miners strike.

Top McLeod street there was collections for strikers from a left wing group.

Set upon by some from far right

Set upon by lads from mining community.

I do recall hearts supporters fighting amongst themselves on occasion .

And I went home and away.

Early 80s.

But not gangs.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Got a good view of it from the North Enclosure, which was rammed, near the "Celtic" end.

After an initial exchange of bottle throwing, the terrace opened up like the parting of the Red Sea and both sets of supporters then charged each other. Polis were slow to put in a line and thereafter bottles continued to be thrown.Hearts fans gave as good as they got but you couldn't help but fear for them.,in that end.

As our bus pulled into Hampden I watched the Glasgow Police walk past 40 or so Huns having a piss up against the wall and lift two Hearts Fans doing the same,which set the tone for the day,

Despite the official attendance given there must have been well over 100k in the ground its self.

Bad day all round.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Got a good view of it from the North Enclosure, which was rammed, near the "Celtic" end.

After an initial exchange of bottle throwing, the terrace opened up like the parting of the Red Sea and both sets of supporters then charged each other. Polis were slow to put in a line and thereafter bottles continued to be thrown.Hearts fans gave as good as they got but you couldn't help but fear for them.,in that end.

As our bus pulled into Hampden I watched the Glasgow Police walk past 40 or so Huns having a piss up against the wall and lift two Hearts Fans doing the same,which set the tone for the day,

Despite the official attendance given there must have been well over 100k in the ground its self.

Bad day all round.

N Lincs Jambo
On 12/5/2015 at 23:41, Graham Thomson said:

I was speaking to a colleague yesterday and we got talking about the old shed under the cameras in the 70s we were talking about the gang culture in Edinburgh at the time and how each gang had there space in the shed and on a few days when the football was not exactly entertaining it would kick off in the shed between Hearts fans from rival gangs!!

So who did rule the shed?

Started going to Tynecastle in 1970 and the Shed under the cameras in 1975 and I can't recall Hearts v Hearts kicking off at home. Only time I really ever saw that was at a SC QF at Fester when we were all put in the Dunbar end and it kicked off big style Hearts v Hearts a bit too close to where I was standing... Had no idea at the time what it was about but later heard it was Edinburgh v Livi.

2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Anyone remember the game against Hibs when some clown decided that, rather than the normal situation where the away fans were given the Gorgie road end, they would reverse things and put Hibs in the Shed. I don't think we even watched the first half an hour as there was a running battle on the terracing as we fought to take the shed back. Couldn't even tell you how the game went. Naughty nowadays but mental as hell then. 

Hibs only started getting given the Gorgie Road end after segregation was introduced in 1978. Before that it would be Hearts from the Wheatfield turnstile to the no-mans land at the corner of the Shed with Hibs having it from there to the McLeod St turnstiles. The Gorgie Road end was always pretty mixed and I can't ever remember Hibs taking our part of the terracing pre-segregation. It was a different story with the OF as they would come in with superior numbers and completely take over our part of the ground although I heard about Hearts taking back by kicking Rangers out of the Shed back in 1977. Wasn't at that one though so can't say I witnessed it.

2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Started going to Tynecastle in 1970 and the Shed under the cameras in 1975 and I can't recall Hearts v Hearts kicking off at home. Only time I really ever saw that was at a SC QF at Fester when we were all put in the Dunbar end and it kicked off big style Hearts v Hearts a bit too close to where I was standing... Had no idea at the time what it was about but later heard it was Edinburgh v Livi.

Hibs only started getting given the Gorgie Road end after segregation was introduced in 1978. Before that it would be Hearts from the Wheatfield turnstile to the no-mans land at the corner of the Shed with Hibs having it from there to the McLeod St turnstiles. The Gorgie Road end was always pretty mixed and I can't ever remember Hibs taking our part of the terracing pre-segregation. It was a different story with the OF as they would come in with superior numbers and completely take over our part of the ground although I heard about Hearts taking back by kicking Rangers out of the Shed back in 1977. Wasn't at that one though so can't say I witnessed it.

May well have been 78 then. I definitely remember we turned up expecting to be herded towards McLeod street, where I always came in, but were sent to the Georgie road end to then see Hibs fans getting the entire school and into the shed. Definitely happened, though I admit the old timers is getting worse over Christmas.

I have a vivid memory of a Rangers game in the early 70s and a rangers supporter swinging a punch at one of my mates as we changed ends at half time. The Guy was so drunk that even my granny could have evaded the punch. Football was much different in those days. 

N Lincs Jambo
12 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

May well have been 78 then. I definitely remember we turned up expecting to be herded towards McLeod street, where I always came in, but were sent to the Georgie road end to then see Hibs fans getting the entire school and into the shed. Definitely happened, though I admit the old timers is getting worse over Christmas.

Must admit I can't remember that from that season TJ. The first derby in August was the last unsegregated derby at Tynie due to the utter carnage that day on the terraces and in the second one I remember watching Ralph Callachan scoring a freak goal for them with a cross which went in just under the crossbar. I watched that game from the old spot under the TV gantry and Hibs were in the Gorgie. Next league game against them was the famous 3-2 Robbo derby in 83.

Could the game you're referring to be an East of Scotland Shield tie??

N Lincs, mate your memory is much better than mine. Could have been a cup game, I just remember it being mental. It must have been before 81 as I left Edinburgh then and got to far fewer games. Ironically I moved to Lincs as well. Have a great New Year.

N Lincs Jambo
44 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

N Lincs, mate your memory is much better than mine. Could have been a cup game, I just remember it being mental. It must have been before 81 as I left Edinburgh then and got to far fewer games. Ironically I moved to Lincs as well. Have a great New Year.

You too TJ! Same to all good Jambos :)

6 hours ago, TheStig said:

Love listening and reading stories of how it was back in the day. Most aggro I've ever seen at tynecastle was someone getting shouted at for standing and the people behind couldn't see, terrible scenes Werther's originals flying all over the place.

Nah, I'm no havin that ! No fecker likes Werther's  originals. :sick:

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I have a vivid memory of a Rangers game in the early 70s and a rangers supporter swinging a punch at one of my mates as we changed ends at half time. The Guy was so drunk that even my granny could have evaded the punch. Football was much different in those days. 

What a thing that was Dave. Imagine that today :)

After the success in 1956 we returned to Hampden about once every ten years (always with a '6' in the year) under less favourable circumstances. I saw us get pumped 3-1 by Jock Stein's Dundfermline in 68, then 3-1 by Rangers in 76. It was 3-0 by Aberdeen in 86, and finally 5-1 by Rangers in 96. The 98 final (no '6' this time) was played at Celtic Park and we actually won! That set us up for a glorious 'draw' in 2006 vs Gretna back at Hampden. And I think we played someone there in 2012 as well, if I remember correctly. :laugh:

Don't remember a lot of trouble at any of these.

Edited by 56anawthat
addition

2 hours ago, whodanny said:

Nah, I'm no havin that ! No fecker likes Werther's  originals. :sick:

Could have been Murray mints, was difficult to tell in amongst all the chaos ?

3 hours ago, TheStig said:

Could have been Murray mints, was difficult to tell in amongst all the chaos ?

I could accept sherbet lemons, maybe chocolate limes (nah they're green, widnae be allowed at Tynie}. How about these wee sherbet filled flying saucers ?

Sorry, gettin' a wee bit carried away.

76 cup final, my memory is the bottles, including Pmmonge bottles  from the Rangers supporters been flung at us.

70's was not a great time for Hearts supporters.

Coburg Hearts
10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Oh, the memories. :)

It was an eye opener to a youngster seeing the OF turning up in huge numbers and taking over Tynie though not always the case

When the numbers were fairer they knew Gorgie Ruled and even then they had a fight on there hands Re of there numbers

My best was witnessing a huge Hearts attack from the shed (I was in the main stand and only 9 at a SCQFR))  watching a massive celtic support try and then run at the charge from Hearts its indelible

The whole stand sang ''get into them'' as they banged there feet to the mass brawl that followed

Not clever into-days standards but retribution was dished out  that night  as  a few Hearts fans in the first leg took some beatings and stabbings for no other reason than attending a cup game in Glasgow

I've despised that cowardly hooped filth from that day onward well week as I was at the first game

Just saying like

Edited by jambo1961

scott herbertson
8 hours ago, jambo1961 said:

It was an eye opener to a youngster seeing the OF turning up in huge numbers and taking over Tynie though not always the case

When the numbers were fairer they knew Gorgie Ruled and even then they had a fight on there hands Re of there numbers

My best was witnessing a huge Hearts attack from the shed (I was in the main stand and only 9 at a SCQFR))  watching a massive celtic support try and then run at the charge from Hearts its indelible

The whole stand sang ''get into them'' as they banged there feet to the mass brawl that followed

Not clever into-days standards but retribution was dished out  that night  as  a few Hearts fans in the first leg took some beatings and stabbings for no other reason than attending a cup game in Glasgow

I've despised that cowardly hooped filth from that day onward well week as I was at the first game

Just saying like

Was tha the first game the 1-1 where Derek Renton scored a late equaliser. If so was caught up in the violence afterwards and it was heavy stuff.

Aye Scott

I was at that Renton goal game, Hearts had a massive support that day

My Day had me on his shoulders as we all celebrated the late equaliser

Francis Albert

As a regular attender home and away in the late 60s and throughout the70s often on my own I don't really recognise the lurid fantasies on this thread. The only moment of real concern I had was when I turned the wrong way to leave Broomfield after a night game and was set upon by about 20 Airdrie fans, then among the more notorious in Scotland. They could easily have killed me or inflicted serious injury but in fact even my fears of explaining obvious bruises to my parents did not materialise. How many were killed or seriously injured in all these examples of violence? For the most part it was all an empty and rather pathetic show,

14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As a regular attender home and away in the late 60s and throughout the70s often on my own I don't really recognise the lurid fantasies on this thread. The only moment of real concern I had was when I turned the wrong way to leave Broomfield after a night game and was set upon by about 20 Airdrie fans, then among the more notorious in Scotland. They could easily have killed me or inflicted serious injury but in fact even my fears of explaining obvious bruises to my parents did not materialise. How many were killed or seriously injured in all these examples of violence? For the most part it was all an empty and rather pathetic show,

I'm pretty positive you've taken a serious dunt to the heid somewhere along the way tbh.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

I'm pretty positive you've taken a serious dunt to the heid somewhere along the way tbh.

So how many died?

1 hour ago, Oliver Twist said:

Lol

the irony is lost on FA

For what it's worth season 77-78 I remember crowd trouble at Dunbarton, Greenock, Dundee, Stirling, Stenhousemuir, Arbroath and Airdirie.

Some were worse than others but Dundee away sticks out with pitched battles in the bus park near the stadium after a 1-1 draw. 

The season before we drew 1-1

with Hibs at Easter Road. It was my first taste of a derby there as a 15 year old  and when both teams scored both fans charged at each other with two rows of police in between battering everybody they could. 

When Hearts were relegated in those dark days  there wasnt an away game when something of note happened

Mainly by youngsters but not always and when the older ones joined in it could be absolute  mayhem

'Wer'e going up'

''Your staying down''

''Wer'e gonny wreck''

''your *** Town'

''Na na na na na na na na na ''

Song springs to mind '

Francis Albert
33 minutes ago, Deek said:

Lol

the irony is lost on FA

No. I got the "irony" if that is what you want to call it.

The fantasists on this thread however...

Mayhem? In their minds.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

No. I got the "irony" if that is what you want to call it.

The fantasists on this thread however...

There may well be some but unfortunately as a man in his late 50,s I can recall all, of what I have quoted and more. 

MacDonald Jardine
28 minutes ago, jambo1961 said:

When Hearts were relegated in those dark days  there wasnt an away game when something of note happened

Mainly by youngsters but not always and when the older ones joined in it could be absolute  mayhem

'Wer'e going up'

''Your staying down''

''Wer'e gonny wreck''

''your *** Town'

''Na na na na na na na na na ''

Song springs to mind '

I know I shouldn't but I always loved that sing.

gerryjambo41
On 30 December 2017 at 22:07, Francis Albert said:

Was there

Pretty uneventful to be honest. We never got into the gsme until the last 10 minutes. The hearts end full of rangers fans but can't recall any major incidents.

I've despised Rangers old and new because of that game . I had just turned thirteen and got hit on the  head with a can also a middle aged Hun attempted to sink the boot in me during one of the many charges back and forward , scum is too nice a word for rangers fans ?. Living in Glasgow I've had various run ins with of fans more often than not Rangers . Obviously I've no love for the other cheek but in my experience the rangers are far worse 

15 minutes ago, gerryjambo41 said:

I've despised Rangers old and new because of that game . I had just turned thirteen and got hit on the  head with a can also a middle aged Hun attempted to sink the boot in me during one of the many charges back and forward , scum is too nice a word for rangers fans ?. Living in Glasgow I've had various run ins with of fans more often than not Rangers . Obviously I've no love for the other cheek but in my experience the rangers are far worse 

The same cheeks

I know two Hearts fans who got stabbed by the Hun in Glasgow sure it was a  mid week League Cup game, utter cowards who took liberty's on innocents

I belted one at the traffic lights  when a few on the bus got off to confront some who thought the attack was acceptable

Dreadful shit and I'm glad I got away with it

On 12/31/2017 at 18:11, 56anawthat said:

After the success in 1956 we returned to Hampden about once every ten years (always with a '6' in the year) under less favourable circumstances. I saw us get pumped 3-1 by Jock Stein's Dundfermline in 68, then 3-1 by Rangers in 76. It was 3-0 by Aberdeen in 86, and finally 5-1 by Rangers in 96. The 98 final (no '6' this time) was played at Celtic Park and we actually won! That set us up for a glorious 'draw' in 2006 vs Gretna back at Hampden. And I think we played someone there in 2012 as well, if I remember correctly. :laugh:

Don't remember a lot of trouble at any of these.

It was carnage at the 76 cup final. We were at the top of the terrace at the Celtic end and saw a hail of bottles flying down on Hearts supporters for the whole match. Glasgow polis did absolutely nothing.  There was serious trouble when we played Dundee Utd in the (74 ?) semi at Hampden.  I'm not glorifying what went on but to another poster on here, the fences at Tynecastle weren't put up for nothing. Every game with Hibs was a war zone - home and away. Some of the matches v Celtic were near riots (the mid week cup tie where golf balls became the weapon of choice).  

17 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It was carnage at the 76 cup final. We were at the top of the terrace at the Celtic end and saw a hail of bottles flying down on Hearts supporters for the whole match. Glasgow polis did absolutely nothing.  There was serious trouble when we played Dundee Utd in the (74 ?) semi at Hampden.  I'm not glorifying what went on but to another poster on here, the fences at Tynecastle weren't put up for nothing. Every game with Hibs was a war zone - home and away. Some of the matches v Celtic were near riots (the mid week cup tie where golf balls became the weapon of choice).  

Bang on mate

The Arabs semi i was nearly bricked  by a second in the terrace scared d me as 12yr old

After the 76 final but we panned windows right in at Hampden after the game  as the Huns goaded us from flats and I was only 14 I diddny know any better as I followed Hearts fans hell bent on revenge

It took me Yrs to realise that was wrong and subsequently  got lifetd to many times in places like Well Dumbarton Kille (65) Hampden Rangers and lesser holes to m CV

No proud but I was a daft Kid  and still to this day still feel GR but have never bothered since  that era

Edited by jambo1961

John Findlay

Here is one to rile FA. September 8th 1973. I was a 10yr old on my own in the shed. Hearts support upto the corner where the latrines where. Hibs support from there to McLeod Street. Before the game YNT came through McLeod Street turnstyles and waliked through the YLT to get under the cameras in the shed. Got cheered by those already there. It kicked off in the shed at half time with us leading 1 nil curtesy of the Scheduler own goal. Police didn't stand back in those days. They gave as good as they got. Policeman told a 16/17 year old to get me out of it as it was no place for a wee laddie. He was more than welcome to come back and join in after. He put me Gorgie Road side of the Wheatfield entry/exit and then went back to the shed. I went back in after the 2nd half started.

Re the Rangers game in 70s. I was behind the goals at the school end when Rangers fans chased Hearts out the shed. I recall this Hearts supporter shouting why are you running from these Glasgow *****. Let's get into them and he led a counter charge. Rangers were not expecting it and shit themselves that the Hearts support

Stood up to them. FA it did happen.  No deaths but plenty blood spilled and A and E used alot of suture back then.

Blackford Hearts
On 30/12/2017 at 22:07, Francis Albert said:

Was there

Pretty uneventful to be honest. We never got into the gsme until the last 10 minutes. The hearts end full of rangers fans but can't recall any major incidents.

We were in main terrace opposite stand. Missed 1st goal like many. There was trouble to our left behind the goals which must have been mainly Hearts fans