The Shed

Graham Thomson

Graham Thomson

I was speaking to a colleague yesterday and we got talking about the old shed under the cameras in the 70s we were talking about the gang culture in Edinburgh at the time and how each gang had there space in the shed and on a few days when the football was not exactly entertaining it would kick off in the shed between Hearts fans from rival gangs!!

So who did rule the shed?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• TyphoonJambo

• Dirkdiggler77

• GinRummy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doctor FinnBarr

I was speaking to a colleague yesterday and we got talking about the old shed under the cameras in the 70s we were talking about the gang culture in Edinburgh at the time and how each gang had there space in the shed and on a few days when the football was not exactly entertaining it would kick off in the shed between Hearts fans from rival gangs!!

Well I was going regular from 75 onwards and never seen anything like that so I'm calling shite on this. Changed a few years later mind when we moved to the corner and Livi seemed to be fighting everyone.

Well I was going regular from 75 onwards and never seen anything like that so I'm calling shite on this. Changed a few years later mind when we moved to the corner and Livi seemed to be fighting everyone.

Totally agree with you,that story is 100% bullshit.

When you say gangs do you mean YNT bar-ox TCR Gorgie Jungle and the likes? If so, I was there all the way threw the 70's and didn't come across any of that, and I knew many Hearts supporters from different gangs.

Edited by niblick1874

alwaysthereinspirit

I was in the Shed from at least 73 onwards. Up against the wall at pitch level (half way line) as a young 'un and then further back towards the refreshment sign as I got taller. Ended up in the corner, way to close to the bog but hidden away enough for a sly wee "puff". Never saw any gang like trouble.

Fxxx the SPFL

I was in the shed from the late sixties and can only recall paggering when the gruesome twosome came through oh and the hobbits.

I think the gangs organised their own fights and if I recall one day the Gorgie Jungle nearly filled a number 44 double decker to head off to Currie/Balerno for a bit of fisticuffs I was too young go (I wouldn't anyway cos I was a fierdy) and story goes that a certain later to be Hobo Ally Brazil got a bit of a doing that's probably where his good look's came from. The story was possibly exaggerated as they tended to grow arm's and legs in those days. Results of the fights were sent back to Gorgie via homing pigeon.

Don't remember any of that except when Rangers and Celtic came through they took over the centre line area and we were pushed into the corner. I also remember going to Stirling Albion in the 70's and we did the same to them, albeit on a smaller scale.

When you say gangs do you mean YNT bar-ox TCR Gorgie Jungle and the likes? If so, I was there all the way threw the 70's and didn't come across any of that, and I knew many Hearts supporters from different gangs.

Pretty much this but occasionally you did get pulled up fi another squad lol

Graham Thomson

To be fair it was the exception rather than the rule (fighting each other) but they did have there places in the shed! YNT was just to the left of the refreshments! And did all pull together for old firm

If I recall the main gangs were

The Jambo Rambos

The Deliverers of Pain

The Sweetheart Stout Corps

And

Gorgie Defamation Alliance

I take it you are 'avin a larf!!

To be fair it was the exception rather than the rule (fighting each other) but they did have there places in the shed! YNT was just to the left of the refreshments! And did all pull together for old firm

I remember a big set to at a cup semi v Dundee United at Hampden in the early to mid 70s. Think it was Leith v Clerry but we are talking forty years ago.

There was quite a few times it nearly got quite nasty but it was all quickly restored under the refreshments and in the corner of the shed , there was quite a few buses at the time though that thought they were top dogs regards to the hearts support also but mostly they all stuck together if anything was going to kick off , none more so than the rangers cup final in 76 or 77 i think when they broke the hampden gates down to get in , one things for sure they feared no one old firm included back in the day .

Regular mid to late sixties and early seventies no recollection of inter gang problems at all.away matches were the same only problems came from opposing fans.At home it was the west coast two.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I take it you are 'avin a larf!!

'avin a larf were the hardest of the lot. No one messed with them! Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

There was quite a few times it nearly got quite nasty but it was all quickly restored under the refreshments and in the corner of the shed , there was quite a few buses at the time though that thought they were top dogs regards to the hearts support also but mostly they all stuck together if anything was going to kick off , none more so than the rangers cup final in 76 or 77 i think when they broke the hampden gates down to get in , one things for sure they feared no one old firm included back in the day .

76 cup final, scary stuff, bottles and bricks flying, no segregation as such, bloodied bodies being taken out, a crazy game of football,lost 3-1 with Shuggie Shaw scoring a our consolation goal.

76 cup final, scary stuff, bottles and bricks flying, no segregation as such, bloodied bodies being taken out, a crazy game of football,lost 3-1 with Shuggie Shaw scoring a our consolation goal.

I was there and the Gorgie boys gave it back big time that day.

Placid Casual

If I recall the main gangs were

The Jambo Rambos

The Deliverers of Pain

The Sweetheart Stout Corps

And

Gorgie Defamation Alliance

The GDA were a touchy lot. Right bunch of drama queens.

Edited by Placid Casual

manaliveits105

76 cup final big bernie was thrown out twice by the weegie police but came back in twice lot of bottles thrown that day In general at home the gangs just eyed each other up and the boxing took place up town later on eg The Cav

yes m8 it was quite scary i was 15 at the time and went through on the football special from the waverly going was ok but coming back was mayhem , and at the game it was like the police had no control before or after it although it did not help that derek johnstone scored after about 2 minutes , buses back then who all had some go ahead guys , pivot , manor , centurian , livi , drylaw, gorgi sons of william big bernies bus , clerry hearts , graigmillar , infact to many to mention them all lol .

Neilson's Shank

76 cup final big bernie was thrown out twice by the weegie police but came back in twice lot of bottles thrown that day In general at home the gangs just eyed each other up and the boxing took place up town later on eg The Cav

saw the aforementioned supporter heading into work last Monday happy to report he is still in his summer attire of sleveless black vest and trackies

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Rangers scored there first goal before the official kick of time of 3pm

I went to games from the end of the 69-70 season onwards, was a season ticket holder all through the 70s (there's glutton for punishment for you) but, like the others above, I don't recall much Hearts v Hearts bother.  I only ever got hurt twice at home games.  Once I got hit with a bottle thrown by a Celtic fan during the game we won 4-1, around about 1974 (had to be taking out and missed most of the match) and once I twisted my ankle, during the tumble down the shed terracing after a Hearts goal.  (Hardly the stuff of legend, I admit!).

I went to the 1976 final on the Pivot bus.  We got in just a shade late so, by the time we got on the terracing, we were already a goal down.  However, I don't remember any agro - but that might just be the effects of age and beer.

Edited by Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Graham Thomson

One of the worst games at Tynie was Hearts v Hibs we were under the cameras as usual and for once the Hibs fans were along side us! Next thing darts were flying all over the place!!

Also the Hearts v Celtic cup

Tie crazy scenes.

This didnae happen.

I went to games from the end of the 69-70 season onwards, was a season ticket holder all through the 70s (there's glutton for punishment for you) but, like the others above, I don't recall much Hearts v Hearts bother.  I only ever got hurt twice at home games.  Once I got hit with a bottle thrown by a Celtic fan during the game we won 4-1, around about 1974 (had to be taking out and missed most of the match) and once I twisted my ankle, during the tumble down the shed terracing after a Hearts goal.  (Hardly the stuff of legend, I admit!).

I went to the 1976 final on the Pivot bus.  We got in just a shade late so, by the time we got on the terracing, we were already a goal down.  However, I don't remember any agro - but that might just be the effects of age and beer.

Huns were everywhere at that final.

It was mad inside and outside Hampden.

At least Shaw scored!

• 2 years later...
Francis Albert
On 06/12/2015 at 21:57, Morgan said:

Huns were everywhere at that final.

It was mad inside and outside Hampden.

At least Shaw scored!

Was there

Pretty uneventful to be honest. We never got into the gsme until the last 10 minutes. The hearts end full of rangers fans but can't recall any major incidents.

On 06/12/2015 at 01:11, bikerjambo said:

True, when the song started  " Livingston and District Hearts Supporters Club" you knew we were kicking off. But our big rivalry was with the Currie supporters. Our bus always had empty seats on the way back, home or away. 

22 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I don't believe it either.

No way FA did that sort of shit happen.

Maybe away from the game but definitely not in the Shed.

26 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Was there

Pretty uneventful to be honest. We never got into the gsme until the last 10 minutes. The hearts end full of rangers fans but can't recall any major incidents.

Uneventful?

It was horrendous.

My dad was a regular in the shed in the mid-late 80’s and was a Drylaw boy who hung about with Almond youth. Heard many stories but none regarding trouble with Hearts fans in the shed.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

My dad was a regular in the shed in the mid-late 80’s and was a Drylaw boy who hung about with Almond youth. Heard many stories but none regarding trouble with Hearts fans in the shed.

Your dad is spot on Locky.

There was nothing ever really serious between Hearts fans  but it did have its moments

Dumfries springs to mind but even then no one was hurt

As for the Shed, we all sang from the same Hymn sheet bar a few punches but that happened all over the gaff no just at Tynie 

Edited by jambo1961

Confrontations between Edinburgh and Livingston were quite frequent in the early 80's. there was a particulalry large one at Dumfries behind the goals during a scottish cup tie down there (1-1 draw, Peter Shields scored, first time Hearts ran buses from Tynecastle (Parks of hamilton)) can't remember the exact  date.

Doctor FinnBarr
40 minutes ago, EC_Hearts said:

Confrontations between Edinburgh and Livingston were quite frequent in the early 80's. there was a particulalry large one at Dumfries behind the goals during a scottish cup tie down there (1-1 draw, Peter Shields scored, first time Hearts ran buses from Tynecastle (Parks of hamilton)) can't remember the exact  date.

Your right mate, trouble almost started at the replay as well but I seem to remember a few Edinburgh clubs stepped in to act as go-betweens to calm things

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Was there

If you never got in till the last ten minutes, that would explain the lack of incidents. By that point, there was a huge gap in the " Celtic " end where most of the Hearts were congregated.

i.e. ye missed it !

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Boab said:

If you never got in till the last ten minutes, that would explain the lack of incidents. By that point, there was a huge gap in the " Celtic " end where most of the Hearts were congregated.

i.e. ye missed it !

I meant Hearts only got into the game in the last ten minutes!. I was focused more on the game than what to my inobservant eye might have been happening on the terracing,

Just now, Francis Albert said:

I meant Hearts only got into the game in the last ten minutes!. I was focused more on the game than what to my inobservant eye might have been happening on the terracing,

Sorry, FA, yanking your chain a bit there. Game was pish, it was pishing and a final to forget for most.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Boab said:

Sorry, FA, yanking your chain a bit there. Game was pish, it was pishing and a final to forget for most.

Yep not one to remember really