?800k a week

vegas-voss

I actually think there's a lot to be said for the way Man City are going about things and eventually I think it will pay-off for them.

But at the minute they still don't have the pull to attract the truly top players. Hence why they're paying ?32m for  Mangala and ?34m for Fernandinho. Top level prices for players that aren't anywhere near the top level.

The Treasurer

Thing is not a lot of fan boys have appeared a few day trippers but essentially it's the same core fans who have always followed the team. Sheik mansoor has done more for Manchester than you can possibly imagine. He's created jobs, helps under privileged kids/families added new transport links and has put an incredible business model into place to ensure city stay successful and Manchester as a city benefits.

Your assessment is way off the mark and one formed purely on the fact they spend money THEY DON'T HAVE and have BOUGHT a fairly successful team.

FTFY

If they haven't attracted a lot of glory-hunting fan boys then why have they had to increase the capacity when for years Maine Road was more than big enough for their genuine fans

The Treasurer

The arse is going to fall out of English football akin to a housing crash.  Tick Tock.

As long as Sky and BT are prepared to throw silly cash at them it looks unlikely any time soon

The arse is going to fall out of English football akin to a housing crash.  Tick Tock.

Sadly, this probably will not happen.

Even if does start to fall, it will be a slow and drawn out process, where the amounts are slowly reduced over a period of years.  And by slowly, it will be by fractions of a percent per year.

The EPL is never going to suddenly become the same standard as the SPFL overnight.

FTFY

If they haven't attracted a lot of glory-hunting fan boys then why have they had to increase the capacity when for years Maine Road was more than big enough for their genuine fans

There's half a million people in Manchester do you think there's only 35000 city fans?? You only have to look at our own club to answer your own question. They were as low as the 2nd division towards the later end of he maine road era they are now winning the EPL. It's not hard to grasp that 20000 lapsed fans might want to go watch their team. Hearts have added 8000 to their home gate in the last two years is it too big a leap to think man city wouldn't have the same proportional increase?

The Treasurer

There's half a million people in Manchester do you think there's only 35000 city fans?? You only have to look at our own club to answer your own question. They were as low as the 2nd division towards the later end of he maine road era they are now winning the EPL. It's not hard to grasp that 20000 lapsed fans might want to go watch their team. Hearts have added 8000 to their home gate in the last two years is it too big a leap to think man city wouldn't have the same proportional increase?

"lapsed fans"   :sunny:

Those same "lapsed fans" would never have heard of Maine Road or the Etihad  until they started splashing the Sheik's cash around in order to buy a few trophies.

They're no different from most other clubs in that respect but don't try to say that these fans were knocking around waiting for the good times, they're glory-hunters, nothing more nothing less

Rudolf's Mate

Well the Glazers need to paid off somehow. Are you aware that the Adidas deal will be slashed if the results don't happen. The figure you quote is the best possible figure but unlikely to be achieved.

But his point re them being the biggest commercially was right. Even if it's slashed due to results the likelihood is they'll still be.

"lapsed fans" :sunny:

Those same "lapsed fans" would never have heard of Maine Road or the Etihad until they started splashing the Sheik's cash around in order to buy a few trophies.

They're no different from most other clubs in that respect but don't try to say that these fans were knocking around waiting for the good times, they're glory-hunters, nothing more nothing less

You're wrong. Look at the 2nd division play off in 1999. 76000 were at Wembley that day mostly city fans. City have always had a big fan base. Now thanks to the sensible pricing their fans can watch them lift trophies, a more attractive proposition than they were years ago. That doesn't make them glory hunters I'm certain plenty went to games but not every week.

Are you suggesting our 8000 new fans are fan boy glory hunters???

You are seeing the money and success and assuming with no real knowledge of their club that city are like man utd and Chelsea went the reality is nowhere near that.

The Treasurer

You're wrong. Look at the 2nd division play off in 1999. 76000 were at Wembley that day mostly city fans. City have always had a big fan base. Now thanks to the sensible pricing their fans can watch them lift trophies, a more attractive proposition than they were years ago. That doesn't make them glory hunters I'm certain plenty went to games but not every week.

Are you suggesting our 8000 new fans are fan boy glory hunters???

You are seeing the money and success and assuming with no real knowledge of their club that city are like man utd and Chelsea went the reality is nowhere near that.

Point 1

Gretna had over 20k at Hampden for the Cup Final because it was a big game.

Point 2

Our "new" (or should that be "lapsed") fans are following their local team with a lot less likelihood of success.

Point 3

They are competing at the top end of the EPL due to the huge amounts of money spent by very wealthy owners. Don't see where that differs from Man U, Chelsea etc. 

In fairness they have built a great training facility which the local community are benefiting from (although again thanks to the owners ponying up the cash).

As a long term season ticket holder at Maine Road and now at t'Etihad, I just want to comment on some of the points made.

Firstly CIteh have always been the "locals" club in Manchester, with United's relative success attracting a huge number of day trippers as well as local fans. Citeh could be relied on to get crowds in the high 20000s, and the season in Division 3 seemed to muster a gallows-humour style support not unlike that at Tynecastle during the admin/relegation season the other year. Since then, they had regular 32k crowds at Maine Road and then following the move to the new stadium 44k-48k averages, even before the money came in.

Since Sheik Mansour bought the club. there's been a sea-change both on and off the pitch - the club have a team to challenge for major honours, the area around the stadium (which made Leith look like Peurto Banus) has been completely redeveloped and the stadium has now been expanded to 55k which is nearly filled for league games. Citeh have 44k season ticket holders - not people who fly in for a visit, but regular go-every-week punters. Few of them so far are glory hunter newbies from my experience - although the numbers of those are growing slowly - but many who live locally, or used to live locally and are now returning. Prices are amongst the cheapest in the EPL and the club does seem to encourage fans to be involved in many aspects of the club (although obviously not owning it like FoH). This lack of day-trippers and glory hunters is probably why there are empty seats in many games - there were 38k last night against Hull which was the largest attendance for a League Cup QF in 4 years anywhere. 

It'll change gradually though - Chelsea took about 10 years to become an international brand, Liverpool despite their relative lack of recent success are still very popular particularly in Asia. I fully expect Citeh to get there. Yes, transfer prices are high as they are signing the best available but other clubs pay similar prices but wages which started at a premium to attract players have been falling sharply. Not sure how the new investment will play out but I'm sure it can't be all bad. 

Whatever, I'll never ever have a footballing week like in May 2012 having seen the Aguerooooo goal and the 5-1 within 6 days of each other. Perhaps should have quit then...

As a long term season ticket holder at Maine Road and now at t'Etihad, I just want to comment on some of the points made.

Firstly CIteh have always been the "locals" club in Manchester, with United's relative success attracting a huge number of day trippers as well as local fans. Citeh could be relied on to get crowds in the high 20000s, and the season in Division 3 seemed to muster a gallows-humour style support not unlike that at Tynecastle during the admin/relegation season the other year. Since then, they had regular 32k crowds at Maine Road and then following the move to the new stadium 44k-48k averages, even before the money came in.

Since Sheik Mansour bought the club. there's been a sea-change both on and off the pitch - the club have a team to challenge for major honours, the area around the stadium (which made Leith look like Peurto Banus) has been completely redeveloped and the stadium has now been expanded to 55k which is nearly filled for league games. Citeh have 44k season ticket holders - not people who fly in for a visit, but regular go-every-week punters. Few of them so far are glory hunter newbies from my experience - although the numbers of those are growing slowly - but many who live locally, or used to live locally and are now returning. Prices are amongst the cheapest in the EPL and the club does seem to encourage fans to be involved in many aspects of the club (although obviously not owning it like FoH). This lack of day-trippers and glory hunters is probably why there are empty seats in many games - there were 38k last night against Hull which was the largest attendance for a League Cup QF in 4 years anywhere.

It'll change gradually though - Chelsea took about 10 years to become an international brand, Liverpool despite their relative lack of recent success are still very popular particularly in Asia. I fully expect Citeh to get there. Yes, transfer prices are high as they are signing the best available but other clubs pay similar prices but wages which started at a premium to attract players have been falling sharply. Not sure how the new investment will play out but I'm sure it can't be all bad.

Whatever, I'll never ever have a footballing week like in May 2012 having seen the Aguerooooo goal and the 5-1 within 6 days of each other. Perhaps should have quit then...

Pretty much what I was telling the Treasurer I'll leave it at that as you are a lot more informed than me. My interest in city is through relatives and I know they are loving it and thankful to the Sheik for all he's done for the club and the city.

fabienleclerq

Point 1

Gretna had over 20k at Hampden for the Cup Final because it was a big game.

Point 2

Our "new" (or should that be "lapsed") fans are following their local team with a lot less likelihood of success.

Point 3

They are competing at the top end of the EPL due to the huge amounts of money spent by very wealthy owners. Don't see where that differs from Man U, Chelsea etc.

In fairness they have built a great training facility which the local community are benefiting from (although again thanks to the owners ponying up the cash).

I'm debating Gretna having 20k!!

I always thought it was a myth that City were the "people's" club. It was my understanding there were just as many United fans in Manchester as there were City fans and it was down to the huge contingent of foreign fans who admittedly attend every game at OT which gave the impression not so many locals supported them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manchester City had an average attendance of over 42,000 the season before the takeover.

Impressive for a club that had no real success since the 70's.

Archived