"God Bless you"

i8hibsh

All the 'answers' put forward by religion are broad/vague enough so that they can't be questioned or scrutinised. It's how the whole thing survives.

See, dipshit answers like this are the ones that piss me off.

Sorry, it's Fat Tuesday (or was until very recently here) and I've had a bit to drink.  But really, this is such lame-ass thinking that there's nothing to respond to.

"The whole thing."  Right, the collected, varied, diverse beliefs of over 6 billion people living now and the vast majority of those who came before, including populations of people who spent millennia out of contact with each other.  "The whole thing."

There's more than one religion.  There's more than 12.  There's more than 1,200.  But they can all be dismissed with a couple of easy sentences, eh?

Again, sorry I'm being pissy tonight.  Enough steak and whisky and I'm riled up for an argument.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, it's Fat Tuesday (or was until very recently here) and I've had a bit to drink.  But really, this is such lame-ass thinking that there's nothing to respond to.

"The whole thing."  Right, the collected, varied, diverse beliefs of over 6 billion people living now and the vast majority of those who came before, including populations of people who spent millennia out of contact with each other.  "The whole thing."

There's more than one religion.  There's more than 12.  There's more than 1,200.  But they can all be dismissed with a couple of easy sentences, eh?

Again, sorry I'm being pissy tonight.  Enough steak and whisky and I'm riled up for an argument.

Honestly, in my opinion all religions can be bundled together under the same umbrella, it's all so arbitrary I can't get my head round any of it.

I'm sorry if that offends you, not my intention.

It's a difficult proposition because people who are not religious, almost by definition, don't understand why people who choose to follow a religion do so.

It's a camp I'm firmly in. I've come to know several people over the years who are religious and who's intellect and reasoning I have immense respect for in other matters but I simply don't understand the (to me) apparent rejection of reason and logic that comes with being religious. But again, to UA's point, these people are clearly not stupid, brainwashed or ignorant, they just choose different beliefs.

Although, to be fair, there are enough dipshits on both sides to go around :)

If you are even a tenth as intelligent as you are so desperate to come across as on here then I salute you. But we all know your Google takes an absolute pounding when you are on here (which is pretty much 24/7).

:D

Honestly, in my opinion all religions can be bundled together under the same umbrella, it's all so arbitrary I can't get my head round any of it.

I'm sorry if that offends you, not my intention.

Sorry, it was a dickish response (as I said, I had been out drinking and eating heavily and it went to my head).

Responding to you and Rab, the best response I can give without getting even more obscenely longwinded than normal is that, again, people have a lot of different reasons for practicing religion.  Even in the one church that the wife is a minister at, which is only one in a denomination that's only one in American Christianity which is only one of many different religions, people have a lot of reasons for being there.  

Some are there just for the music.  Some are there because it makes them feel closer to their family, who may or may not be there with them.  Some are there (particularly the gay and lesbian ones) because they've been partially ostracized by their families and an accepting church makes them feel more at home.  Some are just looking for a spouse.  Some are there because they want to help feed the homeless.  Some are there because they just assume it's something they're supposed to do.  And, of course, some are there because they honestly think they'll go to hell when they die if they don't.

When I first started going back to church (partially because I wanted a group to sing with and maybe a group to play basketball with) and the minister asked me about becoming a member, I made all kinds of objections about not believing in the virgin birth or the resurrection and really not liking things Christianity had done over the years.  He said, basically, everyone there to some extent had those, but that I was clearly looking for some kind of truth in all of this.  He told me joining that church meant looking for that truth together with the rest of them rather than doing it on my own, and that was good enough to start with for me. The more I went the more I found that while there were bad parts of it, there was more good than bad, and that working to make the bad parts better was worth doing.

I know that's not some kind of logical explanation, but I don't think any human is capable of always acting logically, and that's not always a terrible thing.  Is there anything remotely logical about following the Hearts?  Would that ever be a reason not to?

Although, to be fair, there are enough dipshits on both sides to go around :)

This, in spades. :)

Sorry, it was a dickish response (as I said, I had been out drinking and eating heavily and it went to my head).

Responding to you and Rab, the best response I can give without getting even more obscenely longwinded than normal is that, again, people have a lot of different reasons for practicing religion. Even in the one church that the wife is a minister at, which is only one in a denomination that's only one in American Christianity which is only one of many different religions, people have a lot of reasons for being there.

Some are there just for the music. Some are there because it makes them feel closer to their family, who may or may not be there with them. Some are there (particularly the gay and lesbian ones) because they've been partially ostracized by their families and an accepting church makes them feel more at home. Some are just looking for a spouse. Some are there because they want to help feed the homeless. Some are there because they just assume it's something they're supposed to do. And, of course, some are there because they honestly think they'll go to hell when they die if they don't.

When I first started going back to church (partially because I wanted a group to sing with and maybe a group to play basketball with) and the minister asked me about becoming a member, I made all kinds of objections about not believing in the virgin birth or the resurrection and really not liking things Christianity had done over the years. He said, basically, everyone there to some extent had those, but that I was clearly looking for some kind of truth in all of this. He told me joining that church meant looking for that truth together with the rest of them rather than doing it on my own, and that was good enough to start with for me. The more I went the more I found that while there were bad parts of it, there was more good than bad, and that working to make the bad parts better was worth doing.

I know that's not some kind of logical explanation, but I don't think any human is capable of always acting logically, and that's not always a terrible thing. Is there anything remotely logical about following the Hearts? Would that ever be a reason not to?

Sounds to me like religion's a social club!

People getting annoyed and picking the bones of a saying of general goodwill..

People in this country should just feck off and concern themselves with something worthwhile.

People in this country should just feck off and concern themselves with something worthwhile.

Leaving me and UA to be whimsical twats. I like the sound of that

Responding to you and Rab, the best response I can give without getting even more obscenely longwinded than normal is that, again, people have a lot of different reasons for practicing religion. Even in the one church that the wife is a minister at, which is only one in a denomination that's only one in American Christianity which is only one of many different religions, people have a lot of reasons for being there.

Some are there just for the music. Some are there because it makes them feel closer to their family, who may or may not be there with them. Some are there (particularly the gay and lesbian ones) because they've been partially ostracized by their families and an accepting church makes them feel more at home. Some are just looking for a spouse. Some are there because they want to help feed the homeless. Some are there because they just assume it's something they're supposed to do. And, of course, some are there because they honestly think they'll go to hell when they die if they don't.

When I first started going back to church (partially because I wanted a group to sing with and maybe a group to play basketball with) and the minister asked me about becoming a member, I made all kinds of objections about not believing in the virgin birth or the resurrection and really not liking things Christianity had done over the years. He said, basically, everyone there to some extent had those, but that I was clearly looking for some kind of truth in all of this. He told me joining that church meant looking for that truth together with the rest of them rather than doing it on my own, and that was good enough to start with for me. The more I went the more I found that while there were bad parts of it, there was more good than bad, and that working to make the bad parts better was worth doing.

I know that's not some kind of logical explanation, but I don't think any human is capable of always acting logically, and that's not always a terrible thing. Is there anything remotely logical about following the Hearts? Would that ever be a reason not to?

Do you believe that jesus will return in our life time?

Here lies the point tho.  I feel is is not 'general goodwill' it is spouting religious pish as a badge of niceness.

Sounds to me like religion's a social club!

Far too often, churches turn into social clubs.  

I tend to prefer them when they're community organizations and gatherings of activists, but it doesn't always turn out that way

Do you believe that jesus will return in our life time?

Easy enough to hide behind the scripture on this one -- Mark 13:32.

'But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.'

(And before i8 gets annoyed, yes, I had to Google to find chapter and verse.)

Strangely poor post by you UA, really don't know why you are so obviously pissed of by a simple statement that is so obviously true. Most Religions Theology morph with the zeitgeist - look at the women priest issues in the C of E , not to mention the gay issues.   

Second thing is you cite that there are so many different religions totalling up to a substantial proportion of the worlds population as if this adds anything to the argument whether there's any truth in it?

There may be many religions/beliefs/adherents and therefore you say its not simple - but it is. They all ONE species and the same - HUMANS.

Humans that are all pattern seeking apes with certain evolutionary traits to look for patterns, look to something unknown, perhaps a father figure or protector; while inserting a supernatural Deity is superfluous to many,  me certainly,  its not hard to see the reasons for its popularity in certain parts of the globe. 

Most commentators believe in the UK anyway the church has been 'neutered' as any force for social or political change, which is good, it should be left to do what its good at - being a social club of good people doing altruistic work. Nothing wrong with that! 

Most Religions Theology morph with the zeitgeist - look at the women priest issues in the C of E , not to mention the gay issues.   

Second thing is you cite that there are so many different religions totalling up to a substantial proportion of the worlds population as if this adds anything to the argument whether there's any truth in it?

There may be many religions/beliefs/adherents and therefore you say its not simple - but it is. They all ONE species and the same - HUMANS.

Humans that are all pattern seeking apes with certain evolutionary traits to look for patterns, look to something unknown, perhaps a father figure or protector; while inserting a supernatural Deity is superfluous to many,  me certainly,  its not hard to see the reasons for its popularity in certain parts of the globe. 

Most commentators believe in the UK anyway the church has been 'neutered' as any force for social or political change, which is good, it should be left to do what its good at - being a social club of good people doing altruistic work. Nothing wrong with that! 

I believe that your observation made suggesting that certain

Christian church theology align with the prevailing culture of the day is very true.

However the bible makes it abundantly clear that God and his word are unchanging.

Truth is not a fluid commodity as some Christians seem to imply. (This is not a ref to UA)

I won?t comment on subjective faith beliefs offered in the middle section of your post.

However those views presented at the end are all too common and from a Christian

Perspective worthy of comment.

As a Christian I know from experience that I am not a good person,

but rather a sinner, saved by grace and imputed with the righteousness of Christ.

The real church is not a social club,

it exists to tell people about the good news of Jesus. Simple.

• 3 weeks later...

Remind me, what's the big deal about someone blessing you.

Says more about the mentality of the hateful OP.

Archived