"Cool" artists in music

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

Just a trivial question out to JKB: Who do we think are the 'coolest' artists to have brought us music over the years? Has anyone ever stayed cool or is it a passing thing?

I'm passing it on as I was asked to suggest some cool artists and couldn't really name one. Elvis was cool but lost it; Bowie, I'd say, was cool for a long time but Tin Machine did him no favours and it started to seem that he was trying to be cool.

Over to you.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick Cave

Tom Waits

Hendrix

Jeff Buckley

Richard Thompson

Ry Cooder

Beefheart

John Martyn

OK, I just listed loads of my favourite artists. But actually they're pretty cool.

Nick Cave

Tom Waits

Hendrix

Jeff Buckley

Richard Thompson

Ry Cooder

Beefheart

John Martyn

OK, I just listed loads of my favourite artists. But actually they're pretty cool.

Good list also, I have to add

Ray Davies

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

All those saying Bowie..just remember the Lords prayer.

For genuinely cool you have to look across a long timeline.

Pink Floyd were cool in the 60's...and very cool in the 90's , and beyond tbf.

Tom Waits is a given.

Robert Palmer tried too hard.

Guy Garvey manages it well.

Was going to mention Robert Palmer. I thought he was very cool until his "Addicted to Love" phase and hanging around with the Duran Duran guys. Musically interesting too up to that point. Just couldn't help constantly alluding to his own beddability, though.

Guess The Crowd

Good list also, I have to add

Ray Davies

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Agreed, Ray Davies for me, the epitome of cool. Also Ronnie Lane.

Bob Marley, obviously.

Joan As Police Woman.

For a guy who looked about 80 in the 1970s and now looks about 85, Dr John is still immensely cool.

All those saying Bowie..just remember the Lords prayer.

For genuinely cool you have to look across a long timeline.

Pink Floyd were cool in the 60's...and very cool in the 90's , and beyond tbf.

I'd rather lisren to him say The Lord's Prayer than sing another shite Queen song.

Or was it Live Aid he said it at

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

John Lennon.

Neil Young.

Massive John Lennon fan obviously, but the coolest Beatle by a country mile was George Harrison.

Also, no mention of Lou Reed yet? I'll throw in Joe Jackson as a cool dude in the late 70's early 80's.

Just a trivial question out to JKB: Who do we think are the 'coolest' artists to have brought us music over the years? Has anyone ever stayed cool or is it a passing thing?

I'm passing it on as I was asked to suggest some cool artists and couldn't really name one. Elvis was cool but lost it; Bowie, I'd say, was cool for a long time but Tin Machine did him no favours and it started to seem that he was trying to be cool.

Over to you.

Revisiting your OP, Rod Stewart was very cool, imo, but has since lost it. He's stil kinda cool, cos he's Rod the Mod, but having a sellik badge on the front of the drum kit obviously diminishes any level of cool factor.

Archived