Kodi again

Unknown user

It's getting more and more awesome.

I can now get the UK channels complete with tv guide using iVue addon (I haven't got the built in guide working yet), I get notifications when there's new episodes of things I subscribe to and on the Raspberry Pi 2 it's like warm shite off a shovel compared the old model with HD rendering no problem at all.

All that and it's all controlled through the remote for the telly - amazing!

Very interested to hear addons etc being used, my main one is still 1Channel for streaming TV shows and films, it's integrated into the library alongside my files so you can search for an actor and what have you and have everything in one place.

iVue is my live choice at the moment. Although DexterTV has higher quality streams (including a couple of premium ones!), it doesn't work with a tv guide at the moment so it's my backup.

This is what I'll admit to in public anyway

What are you doing with yours?

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rudolf's Mate

• jack D and coke

• Unknown user

• AlimOzturk

Bungalow Bill

It's getting more and more awesome.

I can now get the UK channels complete with tv guide using iVue addon (I haven't got the built in guide working yet), I get notifications when there's new episodes of things I subscribe to and on the Raspberry Pi 2 it's like warm shite off a shovel compared the old model with HD rendering no problem at all.

All that and it's all controlled through the remote for the telly - amazing!

Very interested to hear addons etc being used, my main one is still 1Channel for streaming TV shows and films, it's integrated into the library alongside my files so you can search for an actor and what have you and have everything in one place.

iVue is my live choice at the moment. Although DexterTV has higher quality streams (including a couple of premium ones!), it doesn't work with a tv guide at the moment so it's my backup.

This is what I'll admit to in public anyway

What are you doing with yours?

I've never been able to get 1Channel to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inspector Villiers

Only really use Genesis for tv shows/movies and Sports devil for football streams. These two have always worked for me so i'm sure there are better but just haven't bothered to look.

Genesis and Phoenix is what I use most. Pay for Sportsmania too.

Interesting, what's the quality like and what hardware are you using?

Rudolf's Mate

My days of doing workarounds for addons are long gone. Kodi is easy and straightforward so jumping through hoops to get something working which ultimately goes off again after a while does my tits in. 1channel is one of those addons. The amount of times I've done a workaround only for it to go belly up :( Add into the mix that it's inferior to a lot of other such as Genesis and even Phoenix.

Been using XBMC for years and started off with complex builds. Got fed up with things not working that I started manually putting stuff on. I relented back in Jan and stuck the Droidsticks setup on however constant updates with things not working, being replaced. moving to Wookie and that being bloated with hundreds of addons I'd never use saw me going back to basics. I now have Genesis, Pheonix & Sports Mania on my box. If something comes along and is still running with rave reviews after several months then I'll look into it. 

Might seem like a bit of a rant but it's not. Kodi is one of the best things I ever found.

Rudolf's Mate

1channel website is blocked in the UK, but if you go into the addon settings, you'll find an option that says Domain ;)

Who does your broadband?

penicuik jambo

I use sportsmania on a fire stick and has been excellent for me, streaming on my iPad has also been flawless so far aswell.

Who does your broadband?

It's a UK wide thing, you can see a list of the sites blocked on Wikipedia. primewire.ag is blocked, but www.1channel.ch isn't in the UK

I'm in Holland but I had to set this up for my mate a couple of weeks ago, it definitely worked then. 

But, Genesis is ample replacement I hear, it's just that I've been using 1channel so long that 90% of my video library is from that and I'd need to start all over again if I changed.

Which secretly I'd enjoy, but can't be hooped with yet

I meant to say, I'm trying a solution for getting the premium UK channels free at the moment, it's been pretty good so far but I don't know if it's something that will stay up for long or not

Rudolf's Mate

It's a UK wide thing, you can see a list of the sites blocked on Wikipedia. primewire.ag is blocked, but www.1channel.ch isn't in the UK

I'm in Holland but I had to set this up for my mate a couple of weeks ago, it definitely worked then. 

But, Genesis is ample replacement I hear, it's just that I've been using 1channel so long that 90% of my video library is from that and I'd need to start all over again if I changed.

Which secretly I'd enjoy, but can't be hooped with yet

I'm with BT and I've lost count of the amount of different URL's (domains) I've tried. They've generally worked for a week or two however they've always been blocked again. I'm pretty sure I also tried the one with ch on the end as well. Icefilms was another this happened with. Before Genesis it was, for me, the standout for tv and films. One thing I have noticed about addons/sites which are blocked is that some people can get access afterwards while some (majority can't). Workarounds pop up and again they work for some but not everyone. I originally thought it was different ISP's however I knew people, like me, who were on BT but not blocked.

I'm with BT and I've lost count of the amount of different URL's (domains) I've tried. They've generally worked for a week or two however they've always been blocked again. I'm pretty sure I also tried the one with ch on the end as well. Icefilms was another this happened with. Before Genesis it was, for me, the standout for tv and films. One thing I have noticed about addons/sites which are blocked is that some people can get access afterwards while some (majority can't). Workarounds pop up and again they work for some but not everyone. I originally thought it was different ISP's however I knew people, like me, who were on BT but not blocked.

It is frustrating when you can't get it working right enough, don't blame you for not going back if you've found a replacement. Does Genesis do the whole episode update thing?

Slevinkelevra

Phoenix and uk Turks for sport, uk Turks also got great old tv shows and loads of great documentaries. great quality streams. Anyone else had a problem with total installer? Mine isn't working at all now

Phoenix and uk Turks for sport, uk Turks also got great old tv shows and loads of great documentaries. great quality streams. Anyone else had a problem with total installer? Mine isn't working at all now

Looks like it's been replaced with the Community Portal

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-manually-install-total-installer-for-xbmc-kodi/

Rudolf's Mate

It is frustrating when you can't get it working right enough, don't blame you for not going back if you've found a replacement. Does Genesis do the whole episode update thing?

Episode update? Not sure what you mean however if somethings aired (TV show) in say the US then it's generally on genesis within hours. Everything about Genesis is superior to most other addons. It might seem anal but even the way it lists stuff, it just has a more refined polished look about it.

Episode update? Not sure what you mean however if somethings aired (TV show) in say the US then it's generally on genesis within hours. Everything about Genesis is superior to most other addons. It might seem anal but even the way it lists stuff, it just has a more refined polished look about it.

For example, I subscribe to QI in 1channel.

I've got the 1channel addon set up to check twice a day, and when a new episode of QI appears on the 1channel website, it lets me know by putting it in Recently Added episodes and putting a thumbnail link on the front page. It also updates the library, adding the new episode to the current series in my TV Shows

Rudolf's Mate

For example, I subscribe to QI in 1channel.

I've got the 1channel addon set up to check twice a day, and when a new episode of QI appears on the 1channel website, it lets me know by putting it in Recently Added episodes and putting a thumbnail link on the front page. It also updates the library, adding the new episode to the current series in my TV Shows

Ah gotcha. From my understanding, this can be done with virtually any addon. I've never bothered with it though as I religiously wait until a season/series has finished before watching them all back to back.

Ah gotcha. From my understanding, this can be done with virtually any addon. I've never bothered with it though as I religiously wait until a season/series has finished before watching them all back to back.

I didn't see the option in Genesis but fair play

It's pretty useful for me as I haven't had UK tv til recently, it's how she keeps up with the Shores and the Big Brothers and Celebrity shite

Kodi is ansoloutly incredible.

I have had it 3 months now and i have saved about 210 pounds in Sky tv bills, 24 pound in nexflix bills and have now cancelled my direct debit for tv licence so another saving.

I hope and pray Kodi lasts a long time.

Even if it doesnt it has made me cut the cord with Sky. **** paying them another penny.

Here is a question for you Smithee.....

I use seo-Michael website religiously for updates and new add-on installation guides. When he makes reference to downloading zip files rather than installing via a repo I'm stumped due to my openelec / kodi being run on my Raspberry Pi 2. Is there a way around this? Cheers.

Here is a question for you Smithee.....

I use seo-Michael website religiously for updates and new add-on installation guides. When he makes reference to downloading zip files rather than installing via a repo I'm stumped due to my openelec / kodi being run on my Raspberry Pi 2. Is there a way around this? Cheers.

Assuming you have another computer on the same network, download it to that one and find a way to transfer it. You could use a usb dongle to transfer it easily enough

Edit, if you can't do that I can talk you through a network transfer but this is easiest :thumbsup:

Edited by Smithee

Assuming you have another computer on the same network, download it to that one and find a way to transfer it. You could use a usb dongle to transfer it easily enough

Edit, if you can't do that I can talk you through a network transfer but this is easiest :thumbsup:

Good lad Smithee , downloading the zip file via the laptop and then onto the USB pen drive never occurred to me. I'm assuming the rasp. Pi will recognise the USB drive no problem?

I use Wookie on a Smart TV box for Genesis and Sportsmania, have only just got it all set up this week. I have a problem though, my sound sometimes just disappears. It'll be working fine and then I might pause what I am watching and when I press play it is gone. Or maybe I'll finish one episode and start another and the sound disappears in the switchover. Any ideas on how to fix it? I have changed the video acceleration settings which I was told might help, but it hasn't made any difference.

Good lad Smithee , downloading the zip file via the laptop and then onto the USB pen drive never occurred to me. I'm assuming the rasp. Pi will recognise the USB drive no problem?

It should do, I've had no problems with it - it should display a pop up to show the new usb drive connected too to confirm :thumbsup:

I agree. genesis is the one for me and project free TV is my back up. 

I use Wookie on a Smart TV box for Genesis and Sportsmania, have only just got it all set up this week. I have a problem though, my sound sometimes just disappears. It'll be working fine and then I might pause what I am watching and when I press play it is gone. Or maybe I'll finish one episode and start another and the sound disappears in the switchover. Any ideas on how to fix it? I have changed the video acceleration settings which I was told might help, but it hasn't made any difference.

That's a tough one, proper breakdowns can get fixed, glitches are a nightmare.

I don't know Wookie myself but I did a google search and I don't find this issue being reported anywhere, I'd be tempted to contact Wookie myself if you have the paid version, I don't know what they're like with the free version

Rudolf's Mate

Do you have a keyboard that you can use with the box? If so when it happens hit the + key. Might not be that though as you normally see a little red speaker icon in top right corner.

Also when playing films or tv press pause and scroll along to the speaker icon.

fb95d234fcd3d0d9a121007401939c64.jpg

Click on it and the second option down is called volume amplification. Put that to around 50% for everything. Whenever I watch something I pause as I go into it and put that to 50%. Without it you have to have the tv turned right up and you struggle to hear voices yet background noise like explosions are ridiculously loud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

It should do, I've had no problems with it - it should display a pop up to show the new usb drive connected too to confirm :thumbsup:

I'll give it a bash pal. Thanks

Are these ready made plug and play ?50 boxes on eBay what some folk have?

Hope this link works.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=262127249365&category=168058&pm=1&ds=0&t=1447023590169

I've heard of people having trouble with these (edit- not this specific one, general pre-loaded boxes), simply because the sands are shifting pretty quick and the people who sell them struggle to keep them up to date.

I did my system myself and even though it's set up well now it's still a pretty tinkersome business. I've heard pre-loaded boxes can be similar, but also that some have good experiences with them.

It's a bit of a crap shoot, but at the end of the day, 50 quid isn't much of a gamble and you might find you get into the whole thing like so many others

Edited by Smithee

Rudolf's Mate

Are these ready made plug and play ?50 boxes on eBay what some folk have?

Hope this link works.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=262127249365&category=168058&pm=1&ds=0&t=1447023590169

A lot of these eBay boxes come with cheap parts mate. The amount of people on the Kodi forums that moan about them is incredible.

I really can't recommend the Amazon Fire highly enough. If you're able to wait till around Black Friday I reckon you'll pick it up at the price I did which was ?59.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't get used to Genesis, the developer has thrown his toys out the pram and it's expected he's going to ditch it.

That seems to happen quite a lot unfortunately, vdubt25 closed his addon down after a while as "his" content was being pirated (I know, I know)

On the plus side, I started learning Python last night so maybe I'll have a Hearts addon written for you all by 2021!

That seems to happen quite a lot unfortunately, vdubt25 closed his addon down after a while as "his" content was being pirated (I know, I know)

On the plus side, I started learning Python last night so maybe I'll have a Hearts addon written for you all by 2021!

His reasoning is that it's now too popular and he can't be arsed with folk moaning.

I've always had to laugh at those who moan when their free\illegal streams don't work :lol:

Rudolf's Mate

I wouldn't get used to Genesis, the developer has thrown his toys out the pram and it's expected he's going to ditch it.

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Rudolf's Mate

His reasoning is that it's now too popular and he can't be arsed with folk moaning.

I've always had to laugh at those who moan when their free\illegal streams don't work :lol:

He was miffed at the amount of other devs etc adding it to their builds/sites and also playing around with it. This meant that it caused issues and when it went belly up a simple auto update wasn't able to fix it. The result was lots of people giving the developer grief which was actually out of his control however he was rightly pissed off.

I've also had issues with Genesis in the past and as a result I only grab it from the Lambada repo now. Despite the above he stated that he was thinking about closing it and starting up another but that it would be tied down and only handed out to a trusted few rather than everyone. By this he means it'll only be available from certain places.

The fact he's done a recent large update to Genesis suggests he's sticking with it.

He was miffed at the amount of other devs etc adding it to their builds/sites and also playing around with it. This meant that it caused issues and when it went belly up a simple auto update wasn't able to fix it. The result was lots of people giving the developer grief which was actually out of his control however he was rightly pissed off.

I've also had issues with Genesis in the past and as a result I only grab it from the Lambada repo now. Despite the above he stated that he was thinking about closing it and starting up another but that it would be tied down and only handed out to a trusted few rather than everyone. By this he means it'll only be available from certain places.

The fact he's done a recent large update to Genesis suggests he's sticking with it.

I see, maybe I should learn sign language instead of python

Rudolf's Mate

I see, maybe I should learn sign language instead of python

You've lost me  :uhoh2:

I know a bit about Kodi and addons but I hee haw about developing or how these things work behind the scenes. 

I agree partly with Liam that some of the developers are right precious souls but I really don't see what the guy for Genesis has done wrong. That said if developers dont have thick skin they shouldn't have accounts on social media.

Cheers for the fuller picture and I can see where his frustrations come from. 

Good news that it seems that he is sticking with it too, I don't actually use Genesis a great deal but it's certainly a handy addon to have.

Rudolf's Mate

Cheers for the fuller picture and I can see where his frustrations come from. 

Good news that it seems that he is sticking with it too, I don't actually use Genesis a great deal but it's certainly a handy addon to have.

When it first broke it did look like another case of another dev acting precious. In fact virtually every dev I've seen embroiled in a rant re pulling their addon has generally over-reacted. 

Bungalow Bill

I use Genesis for all my movie/tv show needs without any problems. Does anyone have a better recomendation then Genesis? Good to know these things.

You've lost me :uhoh2:

I know a bit about Kodi and addons but I hee haw about developing or how these things work behind the scenes.

I agree partly with Liam that some of the developers are right precious souls but I really don't see what the guy for Genesis has done wrong. That said if developers dont have thick skin they shouldn't have accounts on social media.

Sorry, just meaning that python sounds like more bother than its worth. Chatting with deaf people sounds like a much less stressful hobby

The quality is excellent. I watch it on my laptop connected to my tv. Also watch it on my phone sometimes.

Rudolf's Mate

Sorry, just meaning that python sounds like more bother than its worth. Chatting with deaf people sounds like a much less stressful hobby

:lol: You're not wrong. 

I use Genesis for all my movie/tv show needs without any problems. Does anyone have a better recomendation then Genesis? Good to know these things.

It really does comes down to the individual. There's no denying that 1channel (2 years ago) was by far the most popular on the block. People raved about it and still say it's superior then Genesis. Before Genesis my personal opinion was that Icefilms was far better than 1channel but I was in the minority. One thing is for sure is that there's an abundance of addons out there which are brilliant that probably haven't gone mainstream yet.

I have just bought a fire stick, wouldn't have a clue how to install kodi, friend of a friend is going to install it for ?25, is that the going rate for something like that?

Also what can I expect from kodi, do I get live football streams etc?