• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riddley Walker

• cosanostra

• Rick James

• Lovecraft

Stephen Muddie

Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly is one of my favourites. Most of the others already mentioned. Not really into the genre that much. Do like J5, Madlib, Lupe Fiasco, De La Soul. Pretty much anything by them. Doublethink by Akala. Anything by Xzibit, love his flow. Not into g rap generally though

Edited by Stephen Muddie

DP

Got that crazy ****, we keep it crunk up

John blazed and ****.

Good shout. Let's get free is a Top album.

• 3 months later...

So what's everyone been listening to recently?

Managed to get over my Kendrick Lamar obsession and move onto some new things. :laugh:

Vince Staples - Summertime 06   -  Really liking this. Interesting minimal production and I love his lazy style vocal.

ASAP Ferg - Always Strive and Prosper - Great LP but there's a couple of really awful tracks. The housey one with Missy is absolutely awful. I'm on a new level has been one of the tracks of the year.

Chance the Rapper - Colouring Book - Excellent. Well worth a look.

Logan Sama - Fabriclive - Not really hiphop as such but grime is pretty much UK hiphop over halfstep and double time beats with more repetition. It's got pretty much every well known grime MC on the planet dropping a 16 bar verse and 22 new riddims from some great producers. It's rapid fire, frantic, aggressive as hell and seriously great listening. If you can tolerate grime or you're new to the genre then this is a great place to start.

Meth and Red - Blackout - Never really liked Redman but been a huge fan of Meth since High School. Took me a long time to get around to buying this but I'm liking it. Even liking some of Redman's stuff. An oldie but a goodie.

Schoolboy Q - Blank Face - I'm a massive fan of Oxymoron so I've got high hopes for this one. Not really given it much time yet but I will. Sounds decent after the first glance. I'll be going back to it shortly.

I've noticed that there's a new Snoop Dog LP coming out soon as well and it's hiphop apparently. Need to get that one.

Riddley Walker

Cheers for the Logan Sama recommendation, I'll be checking that out.

I've been listening to:

Skepta - Konnichiwa. Bassy and dirty production, I don't think he is the best rapper but the production is just filthy. 

Clipping - Wriggle EP. Erratic industrial noise production with an outrageously fast and talented rapper. these guys have been one of my favourites the last couple of years and this continues along the same vein. I'd really recommend them for anyone looking for something a bit different, although I appreciate they won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Aesop Rock - Impossible Kid. His new album and his usual mix of crazy imagery and complex lyrics. Production is solid but nothing exceptional IMO.

Agree with you about Summertime '06. I love that album. 

I haven't managed to get into Schoolboy Q but you're not the first person who has recommended him so I'll give him another shot.

Danny Brown has a new album out soon which I can't wait for. It's called Atrocity Exhibition, apparently.

Big fan of Clipping. I'll be grabbing that EP.

Same with Danny Brown. I knew it he had a new record due.

Love Aesop Rock too. Labour Days and Bazooka Tooth are two all time favourites.

I've noticed that there's a new Snoop Dog LP coming out soon as well and it's hiphop apparently. Need to get that one.

New De La Soul album next month too.

Generic Username

A GOOD bump of a GREAT thread.

The Odd Tape by Oddisee is excellent. There's a track called "Brea" on it that's a stunning instrumental piece of work

Really liked what I've listened to of Prince Po recently. The Slickness is a good album with some bangers on it. Will need to check out the other recommendations folk have made.

A GOOD bump of a GREAT thread.

The Odd Tape by Oddisee is excellent. There's a track called "Brea" on it that's a stunning instrumental piece of work

Really liked what I've listened to of Prince Po recently. The Slickness is a good album with some bangers on it. Will need to check out the other recommendations folk have made.

Got an old oddisee tune that he did with Hud Mo and Mike Slott's band from years ago. Great track. Never really heard much of his other stuff.

Been playing a tune called Danger by Vic Mensa a whole lot. Amazing drum break when it gets going. Quite like Vic Mensa too. Hoping his album gets a vinyl release because this is a deadly track.

• 2 weeks later...
Riddley Walker

So what's everyone been listening to recently?

Managed to get over my Kendrick Lamar obsession and move onto some new things. :laugh:

Vince Staples - Summertime 06   -  Really liking this. Interesting minimal production and I love his lazy style vocal.

ASAP Ferg - Always Strive and Prosper - Great LP but there's a couple of really awful tracks. The housey one with Missy is absolutely awful. I'm on a new level has been one of the tracks of the year.

Chance the Rapper - Colouring Book - Excellent. Well worth a look.

Logan Sama - Fabriclive - Not really hiphop as such but grime is pretty much UK hiphop over halfstep and double time beats with more repetition. It's got pretty much every well known grime MC on the planet dropping a 16 bar verse and 22 new riddims from some great producers. It's rapid fire, frantic, aggressive as hell and seriously great listening. If you can tolerate grime or you're new to the genre then this is a great place to start.

Meth and Red - Blackout - Never really liked Redman but been a huge fan of Meth since High School. Took me a long time to get around to buying this but I'm liking it. Even liking some of Redman's stuff. An oldie but a goodie.

Schoolboy Q - Blank Face - I'm a massive fan of Oxymoron so I've got high hopes for this one. Not really given it much time yet but I will. Sounds decent after the first glance. I'll be going back to it shortly.

Listened to most of that ASAP Ferg album this morning. Some absolute belters but you're not wrong about that Missy track :lol: Wtf is that about, apart from being  atrocious it's completely out of place. Really, really like some of the other tracks on first glance, I'll be giving it another listen.

Listened to most of that ASAP Ferg album this morning. Some absolute belters but you're not wrong about that Missy track :lol: Wtf is that about, apart from being  atrocious it's completely out of place. Really, really like some of the other tracks on first glance, I'll be giving it another listen.

**** knows what he was playing at with that tune. There's one other that I absolutely hate. I love You or whatever it's called is absolutely awful as well. The one with Chris Brown on it. 

Heard the new ASAP Mob track? Apparently the mob are dropping a full LP and world tour. Should be decent.

Riddley Walker

**** knows what he was playing at with that tune. There's one other that I absolutely hate. I love You or whatever it's called is absolutely awful as well. The one with Chris Brown on it. 

Heard the new ASAP Mob track? Apparently the mob are dropping a full LP and world tour. Should be decent.

I'll check that track out later, not heard it yet. I'd be well excited about a full LP from them. I only really know Rocky's stuff well, the production is outstanding on most of his tunes.

I also downloaded that Logan Sama fabric but seem to have got an instrumental version. Dunno if Spotify even had another version, I'll have to re-check it out later.

As well as their EP, Clipping have announced they're releasing a full LP in Spetember. The track they've released from it, Baby Don't Sleep, definitely isn't going to win them many new fans. :lol:  It's even more noise-based than their earlier stuff.

I absolutely love Wriggle, the title track off their new EP.

I'll check that track out later, not heard it yet. I'd be well excited about a full LP from them. I only really know Rocky's stuff well, the production is outstanding on most of his tunes.

I also downloaded that Logan Sama fabric but seem to have got an instrumental version. Dunno if Spotify even had another version, I'll have to re-check it out later.

As well as their EP, Clipping have announced they're releasing a full LP in Spetember. The track they've released from it, Baby Don't Sleep, definitely isn't going to win them many new fans. :lol:  It's even more noise-based than their earlier stuff.

I absolutely love Wriggle, the title track off their new EP.

You can buy the Logan Sama mix on CD from amazong for about a fiver. Well worth it.

Riddley Walker

I was listening to a few ASAP Ferg tunes again tonight and when the Chris Brown one came on had in the back of my head that you thought it was great .Thankfully upon checking this thread it's the other way round...

The new Schoolboy Q album is great by the way, some absolute belters. Particularly liked track 4 with Jadakiss after a first listen.

• 1 month later...

Royce da 5'9s Trust The Shooter, Colouring Book by Chance and Kendrick's untitled unmastered are what I've been listening to most recently. And Dookie Squad for some quality old school boom-bap!

Just can't get into Schoolboy Q though.

Riddley Walker

Royce da 5'9s Trust The Shooter, Colouring Book by Chance and Kendrick's untitled unmastered are what I've been listening to most recently. And Dookie Squad for some quality old school boom-bap!

Just can't get into Schoolboy Q though.

Have to say I'm not keen on that Chance album, only given it one listen to be fair. Agreed on that Kendrick one.

1-800 Dinosaur by Trim is what I've been listening to a lot the past few weeks. London rapper, minimal and grimey production, very decent.

• 2 weeks later...
Captain Lithuania

Music is not something I've been in to massively over the last few years, particularly rap music. 

However, when I was in Berlin in May, I met this guy through a mate of mines and we've become pretty good mates. Turns out he's a rapper and he's pretty s**t hot, tbh. 

His name is Infidelix, as I'm at work I can't get on youtube to link any of his stuff, but it's awesome. He's gone viral a couple times recently, front page of Reddit twice. Check him out, really talented bloke.

Music is not something I've been in to massively over the last few years, particularly rap music. 

However, when I was in Berlin in May, I met this guy through a mate of mines and we've become pretty good mates. Turns out he's a rapper and he's pretty s**t hot, tbh. 

His name is Infidelix, as I'm at work I can't get on youtube to link any of his stuff, but it's awesome. He's gone viral a couple times recently, front page of Reddit twice. Check him out, really talented bloke.

Going by what google says, he was in Scotland for a while and did some recording here.  Will check him out later.  

The Scottish grime scene is picking up a bit, with the Wavy music page and the guy Shogun.

Captain Lithuania

Going by what google says, he was in Scotland for a while and did some recording here.  Will check him out later.  

The Scottish grime scene is picking up a bit, with the Wavy music page and the guy Shogun.

He was in Edinburgh and Glasgow for a bit but it was harder to make a living. Doing OK in Berlin at the moment. Definitely check him out and if you like him show him to one of your mates. Really believe in what he's doing and want to spread the word!

He was in Edinburgh and Glasgow for a bit but it was harder to make a living. Doing OK in Berlin at the moment. Definitely check him out and if you like him show him to one of your mates. Really believe in what he's doing and want to spread the word!

Will do.  I'm actually going over to Berlin in November to see Chance the Rapper, so I'll look out for him.

Captain Lithuania

Will do.  I'm actually going over to Berlin in November to see Chance the Rapper, so I'll look out for him.

There's loads of street performers everywhere. I don't know if you've been to Berlin before but check out Mauerpark (usually at the weekends) and Warshauer Stra?e (pretty much every day), you can chill there with a beer and listen to some really good performers, maybe won't get the weather for it in November, though!

El-p has confirmed that rtj3 is almost sorted, looking forward to that. Rtj2 is a masterpiece.

Don't know if it's been mentioned (and can't be hooped trecking back) but the two czarface albums (inspectah deck, 7l and esoteric) are well worth checking out. Think there's a third on the way to!

Lastly El-p has produced "digging for Windows" by zack de la rocha (ex ratm) lyrically a bit light, but the production is ace. Look forward to that full album next year.

https://youtu.be/CLishDbwy9c

There's loads of street performers everywhere. I don't know if you've been to Berlin before but check out Mauerpark (usually at the weekends) and Warshauer Stra?e (pretty much every day), you can chill there with a beer and listen to some really good performers, maybe won't get the weather for it in November, though!

Nice one. I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Riddley Walker

I've championed Clipping a few times on this thread but their new album is self-indulgent nonsense.

15-16 "tracks" with only about 5 actual tunes, which aren't very good.

Edited by Riddley Walker

Can't get enough of Pharcyde at the moment.

Rap and this time of year go great.

Cold and dark, bit like my music. :jjyay:

Can't get enough of Pharcyde at the moment.

Rap and this time of year go great.

Cold and dark, bit like my music. :jjyay:

Love "drop"

Any other recommendations?

Love "drop"

Any other recommendations?

Drop is one of the best on Labcabincalifornia.

Listen to the whole Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde album. You won't be disappointed.

Labcabincalifornia is a decent listen too but only a few standout songs.

Also been listening to Mobb Deep - The Infamous and Gang Starr are worth a listen too.

Just got pointed in the direction of Anderson Paak today. Lovely stuff.

Indeed. Check out his ep with knwledge Nxworries. Full album iminent.

Drop is one of the best on Labcabincalifornia.

Listen to the whole Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde album. You won't be disappointed.

Labcabincalifornia is a decent listen too but only a few standout songs.

Also been listening to Mobb Deep - The Infamous and Gang Starr are worth a listen too.

Great thanks.

Fully up to speed on gangstarr and mobb deep, just not fully versed on Pharcyde.

Put Outkast's Aquemini and Stankonia on again last night.

Will play Speakerboxxx/The Love Below at some point over the weekend too.

Outstanding albums.

Great thanks.

Fully up to speed on gangstarr and mobb deep, just not fully versed on Pharcyde.

Bizarre Ride was produced by J Swift, and easily their best album.

Labcabincalifornia was their first attempt at an album done on their own, but it's somewhat an anti climax after Bizarre Ride.

There's 2 other albums, Plain Rap and Humboldt Beginnings, but their with only 2 of the 3 original members. Haven't listened to ether yet but no expecting much to be honest.

Generic Username

Also been nudged in the direction of Pete Rock's instrumental stuff, which I've somehow been oblivious to!

• 3 weeks later...

Sage Francis - Copper Gone and B.Dolan - Kill the Wolf are both immense.

Did you manage to catch them at the Fringe? They killed it when I saw them. 

'I told y'all suckers, I told y'all suckers. I told y'all on RTJ1, then I told ya again on RTJ2, and you still ain't believe me. So here we go, RTJ3'

:sweeet:

RTJ3 will legit make the end of my year. I love that cover art too, need to get me a tee or something with that on it if  ever available. 

Did you manage to catch them at the Fringe? They killed it when I saw them.

I did. In fact, I drove them down to Manchester and was the first person to hear the Epic Beard Men demos they'd written while they were here. They were both live rapping in my car!

I did. In fact, I drove them down to Manchester and was the first person to hear the Epic Beard Men demos they'd written while they were here. They were both live rapping in my car!

:arry: 

How'd that come about?