• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riddley Walker

• cosanostra

• Rick James

• Lovecraft

Recently been impressed by

Summertime 06' by Vince Staples.

Innanetape by Vic Mensa.  Also, his track "Danger" is absolutely amazing.

Bad Neighbur by MED, Blu and Madlib.

Butterfly and Untitled by Kendrick.

My local JB-Hifi has been selling classic hiphop albums on CD recently for $8 (?4) so I've been going through a serious Gang Starr obsession. I have Hard to Earn, Moment of Truth and Daily Operation on vinyl and CD now and I've been hammering the **** out of them in my car so much that pretty much every rapper's voice sounds inferior to Guru. :rofl:

Generic Username

Gang Starr "Step In The Arena"

Cannibal Ox "The Cold Vein"

Slick Rick "The Art of Storytelling"

That's the three they've had most airtime recently.

FenderJaguar7

Both of those Scottish hiphop videos are pretty awful.

I absolutely hate "band" hiphop.

It just sucks.

The reason I hate it is because I don't really want to hear a set where every tune is played on exactly the same sound palate. There's no variation. I just don't think guitars work in hiphop. The odd sample the way that Buck 65 or Yelawolf use guitars sound cool but I don't want to hear some guitarist on stage. It just sounds shit.

Trying to think of any hiphop bands that I actually rate and there's not many.

Herbalizer are good live but I think their records are dull.

The Roots have some decent tunes and I like Phrenology but their beats are dull and repetitive.

MC's should ditch the band set-up and get a decent producer and DJ and do it that way.

Guitars can work in hiphop as illustrated here by Mobb Deep-

FenderJaguar7

2pac, Dre and Snoop got me into hiphop as a teen.

What people have done with 2pacs work since his death is pretty shambolic and some just embarrassing, he's never heard most of the finished tracks! Best to stick to his output when he was alive (Makaveli- The 7 Day Theory came out just after though and is a great album, he fully completed it.)

For those who think 2pac is boring etc check this vid out. After being rejected for any awards at The Source Awards '94 he stormed the stage when A Tribe Called Quest were accepting their award and was furious. Think this is superb-

Starts at 0:37.

Also Me Against The World went to number 1 when he was in prison, he never wrote it in prison.

I can understand people being put off 2pac cos he's a bit overplayed, martyr figure etc but his influence on rap and rappers is unquestionable. A lot of it was an image but he also did live a lot of it and doesn't fake his heritage like most rappers ever since. The FBI had files on him when he was 16 and was chairman of the New Black Panthers lol Never stood a chance. Was a brilliant actor too, most who worked with him said he was destined for an Oscar.

Edited by FenderJaguar7

Guitars can work in hiphop as illustrated here by Mobb Deep-

As I said, I don't mind the odd looped sample but I absolutely hate the band hiphop style with bassist, guitarist and live drummer.

Riddley Walker

Recently been impressed by

Summertime 06' by Vince Staples.

Innanetape by Vic Mensa.  Also, his track "Danger" is absolutely amazing.

Bad Neighbur by MED, Blu and Madlib.

Butterfly and Untitled by Kendrick.

My local JB-Hifi has been selling classic hiphop albums on CD recently for $8 (?4) so I've been going through a serious Gang Starr obsession. I have Hard to Earn, Moment of Truth and Daily Operation on vinyl and CD now and I've been hammering the **** out of them in my car so much that pretty much every rapper's voice sounds inferior to Guru. :rofl:

Summertime 06 is outstanding.

FenderJaguar7

As I said, I don't mind the odd looped sample but I absolutely hate the band hiphop style with bassist, guitarist and live drummer.

Funnily enough my old workmate is the bass player in Stanley Odd. Not a huge fan of the band though got to say.

Summertime 06 is outstanding.

Damn right. Nice production too. 

Funnily enough my old workmate is the bass player in Stanley Odd. Not a huge fan of the band though got to say.

Yeah, they are absolute baws. Seen them a few times live supporting various people in Glasgow. 

They make me want to join the horrendous queues at the bar.

GlasgoJambo

.....and I've been hammering the **** out of them in my car so much..

Cosa going to work

Edited by GlasgoJambo

Generic Username

Liquid Swords isn't really a Wu album, despite having the bulk of the Wu Tang Clan on it at some stage. It is a bloody wonderful album nonetheless. 

I don't get the liquid swords love.

I've tried my best, but I just cannot get into it.

Not in the same league as ob4cl or tical.

A few curve balls in the form of some underground hip hop:

Binary star - masters of the universe

Blu - below the heavens and give me the flowers while I can still smell them

Slum village - fantastic vol 2

Highly recommend all of the above.

Liquid Swords isn't really a Wu album, despite having the bulk of the Wu Tang Clan on it at some stage. It is a bloody wonderful album nonetheless. 

I'd say that Liquid Swords is probably the most typical Wu LP there is other than 36 Chambers. It's produced by RZA completely in his prime, is absolutely rammed with film samples and has the entire clan providing the hooks and some verses. It's only a solo LP as GZA gets at least one long verse on every track. 

Wu-Tang Clan is essentially just RZA.  Him producing and directing everything with the MCs being asked to chip in where he decides. 

It's as much a Wu album as any other.

Anyway, I'd rate the best Wu LPs (at the moment, it probably changes)

Return to the 36 Chambers

Cuban Linx

Liquid Swords

36 Chambers

Beneath the Surface

Tical

Bobby Digital

By far the best Ghost LP IMO is 36 Seasons. It's absolutely amazing. Rate it better than Iron Man and Supreme. It's not produced by RZA so it's not really a Wu LP but the Revelations production is so good. 

I read somewhere that RZA charges the rest of the Clan $50k in cash to use the Wu symbol on their solo LPs if he didn't produce it. Some have done it but quite a lot don't have it. Might be bollocks of course.

Heavy mental Killah priest

That's about the only one of the first drop that I don't have.

Got some of the other less popular ones like Uncontrolled Substance by Inspectah Deck (pretty good, not as good as Czarface), No said Date by Masta Killah (couple of decent tracks but some inconsistent production as it's produced by a few guys) and Golden Arms by U-God (really like this one).

Funnily enough, I've seen Wu-tang play under the Wu name about 10 times and U-God is the one who always seems to show up for some reason. Half of them don't most of the time. You'll very rarely see RZA, Rae, Ghost, Meth and GZA on stage at the same time as they rarely all show up. U-God always seems to be there though.

jambo-fletch

I don't get the liquid swords love.

I've tried my best, but I just cannot get into it.

Not in the same league as ob4cl or tical.

Quite suprised by that, as cosanostra said I think it's probably the most similar to enter the 36 chambers. some of RZA's best beats are on it! I'm probably being slightly biased as I think GZA is the best lyricist in the Wu.

Quite suprised by that, as cosanostra said I think it's probably the most similar to enter the 36 chambers. some of RZA's best beats are on it! I'm probably being slightly biased as I think GZA is the best lyricist in the Wu.

Definitely the smartest and most varied.

Him or Raekwon would be my favourites. Love ODB as well but half of his stuff is repeated across various tracks or written by other Wu rappers and donated to him. Read somewhere in an interview with Meth that GZA wrote big parts of Return to the 36 Chambers.

Do they still rap about money, pimping ho's and killing oolice officers and each other with an arsenal of weapons?

Edited by Brandt

Do they still rap about money, pimping ho's and killing oolice officers and each other with an arsenal of weapons?

Does who do that? All rappers? No and they never did really. There was a period where gangster rap was popular but not so much any more. There are definitely still some though.

doctor jambo

Born Dead by Bodycount

Still have the tape at home but had to get it on I-tunes as I no longer have a tape recorder

And because I'm middle aged and middle class I just bought the the Ministry of Sound Rap compilation in Morrisons for ?7

Everything from NWA to Salt 'N'Peppa  and KrisKros on it

My kids are really enjoying it- but the language means its a windows up in the car job for the private school runs

I've nothing against Scottish hiphop. We produce mostly shite rappers but at least they use their own accents and not shady American accents.

There are some world class Scottish producers and DJs though, particularly out of Glasgow. No-one apart from other Scots will ever want to hear rap in our accent though so the MC's will only get as far as internet battle leagues and the odd mixtape or download single that will only be bought by their mates and other wannabe rappers.

Costa try this -

Non scottish hip-hop - try out the Fabreeze Brothers

And from my favourite album of last year

Peace.

That's not bad at all Wish.

Heard some of this guy's stuff before on that Scottish hiphop forum. Don't really look in on it much these days though.

Listened to Summertime 06, but thought it was ok. Will need to give it another listen. Chance the rapper is the best about imo at the moment. Looking forward to hearing a major label debut this year.

Also re Scottish hip hop. In the 20 years I've listened to it. It's not really improved a great deal. Some alright stuff out there, but I'm yet to hear a track that's blown me away.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the jazz end of hip hop/rap yet?

DJ Cam Quartet - Diggin'  French producer

DJ Mitsu The Beats - Reawakening - Japanese producer

Wretch 32 - Black & White

Speech Debelle - Speech Therapy

Kero One - Early Believers

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

I was in the skateboard shop down Cockburn Street a few years ago and heard a Scottish rap band doin' a tune about Craigmillar? Brilliant!

Didn't have the bottle to ask the guy what the tune was?

Yeh people always are,I've just never gotten into it.

I suppose if something isn't your thing, it isn't your thing.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the jazz end of hip hop/rap yet?

DJ Cam Quartet - Diggin'  French producer

DJ Mitsu The Beats - Reawakening - Japanese producer

Wretch 32 - Black & White

Speech Debelle - Speech Therapy

Kero One - Early Believers

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

I was in the skateboard shop down Cockburn Street a few years ago and heard a Scottish rap band doin' a tune about Craigmillar? Brilliant!

Didn't have the bottle to ask the guy what the tune was?

What do you think of DJ Krush, the 2 x Guru Jazzmatazz LP's and Butterfly by Kendrick? nd others rapping, speaking and reading poems. It's barely hiphop on many tracks. Hard to believe it's the same guy who made Good Kid, Mad City. Thundercat's bass is absolutely mindblowing on some of the tunes. It took me a while to get into it and find the hooks, especially in some of the more abstract tracks but I seriously love it now. I feel like I discover new things on the record every time I listen to it. Such a deep burner of a release.

What do you think of DJ Krush, the 2 x Guru Jazzmatazz LP's and Butterfly by Kendrick? nd others rapping, speaking and reading poems. It's barely hiphop on many tracks. Hard to believe it's the same guy who made Good Kid, Mad City. Thundercat's bass is absolutely mindblowing on some of the tunes. It took me a while to get into it and find the hooks, especially in some of the more abstract tracks but I seriously love it now. I feel like I discover new things on the record every time I listen to it. Such a deep burner of a release.

Yeah! Good stuff there. Guru Jazzmatazz was the door opening for me!

Love - The Blue Scholars, Sound Providers, Pete Philly,Trus' Me,

I know this is a horrible thought but I saw on Yahoo news "ATCQ founder dies" and I immediately hoped that it wasn't Q-Tip.

Same when MCA died if I'm being honest. I'd have been way more disappointed if it had been Mike D or Ad Rock.

:peepwall:

I watched Beats, Rhymes & Life yesterday afternoon. Great doc but with the recent news

:sob:

It is a great doc - might need to watch it again. Made by the guy who plays Christian Slater's pal/Brad Pitt's roommate in True Romance.

It is a great doc - might need to watch it again. Made by the guy who plays Christian Slater's pal/Brad Pitt's roommate in True Romance.

Only just found out that everyone but phife essentially disowned and was unhappy with it.

Only just found out that everyone but phife essentially disowned and was unhappy with it.

It was quite sad to see the breakdown in the relationship between Q Tip and Phyfe. Al Shaheed was just standing in the background looking awkward. I think Phyfe was the only one to turn up to the premiere.

Currently listening to Freddie Gibbs - shadow of a doubt and joey badass - badass.

With the earlier talk of all things WU - GZA's pro tools album is awesome and is still in rotation on the iPod for me.

Been listening to this track solidly for the past couple of days and getting a bit more emotional than I should :lol: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZonnn1nIs

Tribe were one of the most innovative and influential groups of all time and although Q-Tip was the 'front man' I always preferred Phife's rhymes and delivery. They kept things positive and showed a different path hip hop could take when it was in danger of being saturated by macho/gangster stuff (although I love a lot of that as well). RIP.

Edited by moogsy