• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riddley Walker

• cosanostra

• Rick James

• Lovecraft

A few great shouts already. 3ft High and Rising is probably my favourite "rap" album. As much as I genuinely adore Handsome Boy Modeling* School, I'd not call it a "rap album".

*spent a long time searching for a specific single as I was spelling it like a Brit! :laugh:

Endtroducing is an amazing album

I don't like it.... ;)

Riddley Walker

Got his Hell Can Wait EP from last year and that's really good. Have listened to bits of the album but really need to give it a proper listen before I buy.

I'd say it's better than the EP man. The production is absolutely spot-on.

A few great shouts already. 3ft High and Rising is probably my favourite "rap" album. As much as I genuinely adore Handsome Boy Modeling* School, I'd not call it a "rap album".

*spent a long time searching for a specific single as I was spelling it like a Brit! :laugh:

I don't like it.... ;)

Never change

Victor Mancini

36 chambers - wu tang clan

the predator - ice cube

black sunday - cypress hill

mos def - black on both sides

there is lots of artists who i like individual tracks from but the 4 above probably my most played Rap/Hip Hop albums, i think one of the most overrated rappers was 2pac, a lot of it is due to record labels milking profits and re hashing tracks after he died but i generally i just find his music boring.

Ha yeah! That one is cool. Reminds me of Prince. Actually, the whole album sounds a bit like Prince.

Just finished listening to the full album. Superb - easily one of my favourites of 2015.

Not that I can understand them them but ntm and mc solar are very good.

Naughty by nature and onyx another of my favourites. Uptown anthem by naughty by nature is amazing.

Slam!

First two Xzibit albums - speed of life and 40 days and nights were brilliant.

pharaoh monch - P.T.S.D

Jay z - the blueprint

mos Def - black on both sides.

the predator - ice cube

there is lots of artists who i like individual tracks from but the 4 above probably my most played Rap/Hip Hop albums, i think one of the most overrated rappers was 2pac, a lot of it is due to record labels milking profits and re hashing tracks after he died but i generally i just find his music boring.

Hits from the bong has my favourite sample of all time I reckon.

2pac is very meh and imo only gets mentioned because he's a poster boy for 'thug life'. Because what's more gangsta than ballet?

Riddley Walker

the predator - ice cube

Dunno man. I thought lots of Tupac was great. He was a brilliant storyteller. All Eyez on me album was outstanding IMO.

2pacs 'me against the world' is a very good album! I believe he wrote it whilst in prison and its a very personal album. Wasn't a massive fan of 'all eyez on me' too many features and filler tracks.

Riddley Walker

2pacs 'me against the world' is a very good album! I believe he wrote it whilst in prison and its a very personal album. Wasn't a massive fan of 'all eyez on me' too many features and filler tracks.

Didn't mind Me Against the World, had some great tracks, but I thought the choruses were all pretty cheesy. I liked All Eyez on me as it was "harder", thought the production was crisper and more intense than his other stuff.

Edited by Riddley Walker

Just finished listening to the full album. Superb - easily one of my favourites of 2015.

The last track "i'm ya dogg" with Kendrick and Rick Ross is amazing. That beat is an absolute doozy.

Captain America

Bought Compton and Bush by Snoop Dogg today. Really liked them both.

Compton is think is going to be played for a while. Was a great listen.

Never used to be a massive fan of Biggie when I was younger but Ready to Die has grown on me and is now probably my most listened to rap album. His flow is untouchable. Slightly ruined by Puff Daddy spouting nonsense over the top of most tracks :lol:

Big L - Lifestylez of da Poor & Dangerous and AZ - Doe or Die are other favourites that haven't been mentioned.

In terms of modern stuff both A$AP Rocky's albums as well as his mixtape have been incredible.

jambo-fletch

if anyone hasn't heard it, I highly recommend listening to Joey Bada$$ debut mixtape '1999'. One of my favourite hip hop releases from the last few years!

Never used to be a massive fan of Biggie when I was younger but Ready to Die has grown on me and is now probably my most listened to rap album. His flow is untouchable. Slightly ruined by Puff Daddy spouting nonsense over the top of most tracks :lol:

I like that.

Admittedly I'm an old fart, but Chuck D, Young MC, J5, KRS1,Easy E, Ice Cube etc pish all over this recent stuff. Prove me wrong and I'll give it a go but none of your doesn't even rhyme type Eminem/Solo Dre pish.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Seen a few Scottish acts recently if you want something closer to home.

Stanley Odd, Ciaran Mac, Loki

Bought Compton and Bush by Snoop Dogg today. Really liked them both.

Compton is think is going to be played for a while. Was a great listen.

Both of them have been on heavy rotation in my car for about a month now.

Compton has got great depth. Takes a bit of time to pick up on the hooks but it makes sense after a few listens. The track with DJ Premier on it is amazing, the first track after the intro is amazing, the track about Easy-E is amazing. It's just a really good album.

The Snoop LP is decent too. Really summery, funky vibe throughout. The very last track is an absolute beast of a tune. Never really been a fan of Rick Ross but his part is seriously cool. The 2nd tune "they built this city for you and me, yeah" or whatever is awesome too. Only ever seem to listen to hiphop when I'm driving these days so the Snoop LP is a welcome change of style.

Big L - Lifestylez of da Poor & Dangerous and AZ - Doe or Die are other favourites that haven't been mentioned.

In terms of modern stuff both A$AP Rocky's albums as well as his mixtape have been incredible.

Definitely agree with all of that. Ready to Die is the only Biggie LP I have and It's superb. Puffy adds nothing but his own ego and stupidity. 

Big L was a genius. Both of his LPs are great.

Still not got the new ASAP Rocky record as there's no goddam vinyl pressing yet. So annoying. They took ages to get the last one pressed on vinyl so I'm hoping they get it out there soon.

Seen a few Scottish acts recently if you want something closer to home.

Stanley Odd, Ciaran Mac, Loki

madhat McGore - Helfy [emoji1]

Both of those Scottish hiphop videos are pretty awful.

I absolutely hate "band" hiphop.

It just sucks.

The reason I hate it is because I don't really want to hear a set where every tune is played on exactly the same sound palate. There's no variation. I just don't think guitars work in hiphop. The odd sample the way that Buck 65 or Yelawolf use guitars sound cool but I don't want to hear some guitarist on stage. It just sounds shit.

Trying to think of any hiphop bands that I actually rate and there's not many.

Herbalizer are good live but I think their records are dull.

The Roots have some decent tunes and I like Phrenology but their beats are dull and repetitive. 

MC's should ditch the band set-up and get a decent producer and DJ and do it that way.

Generic Username

:lol: Scottish accents and rapping just do not go.

Respek BA and Soul are excellent rappers, although more "battlers" than guys putting out party smashers.

I've nothing against Scottish hiphop. We produce mostly shite rappers but at least they use their own accents and not shady American accents.

There are some world class Scottish producers and DJs though, particularly out of Glasgow. No-one apart from other Scots will ever want to hear rap in our accent though so the MC's will only get as far as internet battle leagues and the odd mixtape or download single that will only be bought by their mates and other wannabe rappers.

Anyone else got the newest Tyler the Creator LP?

I like his first two LP's and a lot of the OF stuff but I hate this so far. First listen threw up 1 track that was decent and some absolute shite. He produced it himself apparently and on first listen, it sounds like someone with no talent trying to make beats. It's annoying when some absolutely shite production gets talked up as "experimental" just because there are no hooks or charm to it. 

Always felt that with a decent production, Tyler would be amazing. Some of the charm of his early stuff is how rough and amateurish the beats were but his new LP just sounds shit. 

Seriously unimpressed. Should I stick with it or give it away?

Other new stuff that I've got recently are a couple of stone cold classics on vinyl.

There's a new re-mastered double pressing of

http://www.discogs.com/Brand-Nubian-One-For-All/master/84813

and

http://www.discogs.com/Diamond-Psychotic-Neurotics-Stunts-Blunts-Hip-Hop/master/66545

If you like the golden era / boom-bap era then I guess ypu'll already have these or have heard of them. Sound great. I miss hiphop that sounds like that.

Public Enemy - Fear of a black planet

Fight the power

First one I thought of. Excellent album; 911 is a Joke!!! Still have the cassette (showing my age there) in a cupboard in a flat in Craigshill.

Got another good Snoop album the other night - "7 Days of Funk - Dam-Funk & Snoopzilla".

I really like that LP.

Got some of dam-funk's solo stuff on Stones Throw as well. He is one seriously funky individual.

Unknown user

First one I thought of. Excellent album; 911 is a Joke!!! Still have the cassette (showing my age there) in a cupboard in a flat in Craigshill.

Git up and git git git down

There's no one like them!

Generic Username

Not a rap album, but the Snoop GGN vlogs on YouTube are priceless.

There's one with 50 Cent and his mates, Snoop gets one of them so melted that the boy can't talk by the end of it.

Riddley Walker

Anyone else got the newest Tyler the Creator LP?

I like his first two LP's and a lot of the OF stuff but I hate this so far. First listen threw up 1 track that was decent and some absolute shite. He produced it himself apparently and on first listen, it sounds like someone with no talent trying to make beats. It's annoying when some absolutely shite production gets talked up as "experimental" just because there are no hooks or charm to it.

Always felt that with a decent production, Tyler would be amazing. Some of the charm of his early stuff is how rough and amateurish the beats were but his new LP just sounds shit.

Seriously unimpressed. Should I stick with it or give it away?

Other new stuff that I've got recently are a couple of stone cold classics on vinyl.

There's a new re-mastered double pressing of

http://www.discogs.com/Brand-Nubian-One-For-All/master/84813

and

http://www.discogs.com/Diamond-Psychotic-Neurotics-Stunts-Blunts-Hip-Hop/master/66545

If you like the golden era / boom-bap era then I guess ypu'll already have these or have heard of them. Sound great. I miss hiphop that sounds like that.

It's definitely his weakest but there's still 2 or 3 tracks on it I quite like. Shame, he seems to have regressed as a rapper and producer. The Goblin album was brilliant.

It's definitely his weakest but there's still 2 or 3 tracks on it I quite like. Shame, he seems to have regressed as a rapper and producer. The Goblin album was brilliant.

I'm starting to see the little chinks of quality in there.

No.9 is an absolute belter.

Still, some absolute drivel on there though.

Riddley Walker

I'm starting to see the little chinks of quality in there.

No.9 is an absolute belter.

Still, some absolute drivel on there though.

Is that the song with Brown in the title? Cant quite remember the name. That is indeed a belter. Speakers up for that one

Is that the song with Brown in the title? Cant quite remember the name. That is indeed a belter. Speakers up for that one

That's the one.

Shame it's so much better than everything else on the record.

Riddley Walker

That's the one.

Shame it's so much better than everything else on the record.

I went to see him at The Barrowlands earlier this year. The crowd was SO young. We were the old guys at the back and I'm only 28.

Have you listened to Earl Sweatshirt's newest album? He's the most talented OF member by a mile IMO. Really like his album and he produced it all himself, except one track.

I went to see him at The Barrowlands earlier this year. The crowd was SO young. We were the old guys at the back and I'm only 28.

Have you listened to Earl Sweatshirt's newest album? He's the most talented OF member by a mile IMO. Really like his album and he produced it all himself, except one track.

I have his first two but I only really buy vinyl so I've been hoping that one gets a vinyl release.

I kind of rate him quite like Tyler in that he's talented but cursed with poor producers. 

I like his first album best.

Riddley Walker

I have his first two but I only really buy vinyl so I've been hoping that one gets a vinyl release.

I kind of rate him quite like Tyler in that he's talented but cursed with poor producers.

I like his first album best.

His first I great. His second was all over the place production-wise. There was no consistency in the sound at all, it was like a random collection of tracks rather than a cohesive album. Some brilliant tunes though.

His newer one is much more minimal and consistent. You can tell there's a decent producer in there, although it's still a bit raw. Not bad for a first go at production. Some of his word-play, across all 3 albums, is absolutely outstanding.

Saw OFWGKTA at the ABC a few years ago and **** me the crowd, as above, was full of teenagers with 'swag' or an NME love in. 

Not sure but I'd like to think Mellowhype took inspiration from the 'Here we, here we, here we ****ing go' chant for one of there songs on 'Numbers' they released later that year - as much of I find it a bit part and parcel of Scottish gigs they were loving that chant on the night, joining in on stage. 

Like Earl's new album, but 'Earl' is the one of his I keep going back to. EpaR especially, love the beat on that. 

Hodgy Beats Untitled EP is worth a listen - Quite short but I love some of the hooks on that. 

Only really gave Cherry Bomb one spin before thinking it was a bit shit - might revisit on the back of this thread. 

Thoughts on the new ASAP Rocky album?

I bit the bullet and bought it on CD as there's still no release date for a vinyl pressing. First few listens and there are a few absolute belters on there. Kind of like a continuation of the last LP. A few stormers and lots of consistently good tunes. Reallt like it so far.

Love the ultra slow, trap / crunk production. Can't beat 808 drum machine sounds with lots of reverb.