Hearts TV/ppv thread.. Q's and A's here.

BM1874

What's wrong with Jimmy Sandison's voice?  Sounds as if he's got his head in a goldfish bowl.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DesertDawg

• Neon

• Laurie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello everyone,

Firstly, my apologies for the lack of communication from myself over the past week or so. I've been moving house over the last 4 or 5 days and it has taken up most of my time, also contributing to us going on a little later than normal on Sunday as I was moving items in the car before driving to the match, with my timing almost causing me to miss the game altogether!

You will have noticed on Sunday, and in some recent away games, that I've been joined by a voice other than Jimmy's. This is Andrew Petrie (Twitter handle @andrewpetrie9), who is a recent journalism graduate who is currently building up his broadcasting experience as well as working in print media too. Andrew approached me towards the end of last season and I felt it a good opportunity for both him and Hearts TV to get a co-commentator for away matches and also cover for home games. To put your minds at ease, Jimmy will still be doing his usual co-comms slot in Edinburgh whenever he is available and willing, unfortunately last weekend he was in "deepest darkest Prestonpans" (his words, not mine) at a fundraiser so couldn't make it. He will return for the Celtic home game, so our usual "witty banter" will resume for the big first home league match of the campaign.

As for Andrew, he's new to this game so still learning but I think he's taken to it very quickly already. Obviously there will be little things that we need to work on and I'm always keen to hear any feedback, positive or negative (always prefer constructive criticism mind you). I'm still always learning myself and I know especially in my early years doing this gig I always found the comments I received on here very useful to help me deliver what I feel is the best possible service I can. With Andrew helping out we're also looking at some potential half-time content for our home games, to give you a bit extra for your subscription on a matchday. It also gives us a potential option for any games that I can't attend, as Phil Turnbull (who has filled in previously) is usually extremely busy with other things on a game day and struggles to cover two roles effectively. 

As always with Hearts TV I'm keen to hear what subscribers think, even if it is elements that aren't my remit but I can pick up with the relevant parties (ie sound quality, technical issues etc). We did have a problem with Jimmy's mic for the Cowdenbeath game, which the club swiftly rectified with a new headset for last Sunday's game with Inverness. If there were still some sound issues, which I noted above, I will look to do a further sound check this weekend to ensure the levels are right - it's always worth giving me a shout on here or even better tweeting myself and the Hearts official account with the issues at the time.

I absolutely adore the position I have and even after 5 1/2 years it still gives me a thrill to cover the team I love, week in week out. Never really feels like a "job" and I know how lucky I am to be able to do it, especially as it came about purely by chance back in November 2013 when Paul Kiddie gave me an opportunity. So anything I can ever do to improve our coverage, don't ever hesitate to get in touch.

HHGH

Laurie 

Edited by Laurie

Thanks for your input Laurie.

Andrew has been hampered by the audio problems encountered so far this season but once the sound got going properly on Sunday in the 69th minute his input and team knowledge came over very well.  Maybe a bit more upbeat vocal performance would help us hear his enthusiasm.

Keep up the good work.  Picture quality has been very good so far although there are still some loss of picture glitches when changing cameras.  Feedback from "Support" re the audio issues has been zero.

jambo in iraq

Laurie thank you for you services as ever. Agree with Desert Dawg and his comments. I also like the fact there is another voice to bounce off on away games.

On the subject of away games is there nothing that can be done to show the games not live on tv ? Appreciate that it’s a matter of cost but if you consider that Teams like Dundee and Aberdeen offer similar service could a reciprocal match day ticket be arranged. For teams like Hamilton today,  could we not propose to them that any game tickets they sell for international fans they will keep the revenue. Hearts could make this an add on to international subscription like an away season ticket. Costs covered... everyone happy!

Hearts TV audio signal is excellent today but the mics, especially Laurie's need pop filters or this will get tiresome.

Hearts TV audio signal is excellent today but the mics, especially Laurie's need pop filters or this will get tiresome.

Getting more and more extraneous noise on the stream.  It really has become very poor.

Response from "Support."

"I have spoken to the guys at the stadium and they will look into the issue to see what is going on.

Kind regards"

It's not the easiest to see with dark red on maroon.

After a few seasons you get accustomed to it.  :laugh:

michael_bolton

Enjoying the coverage. Nice to have the new co-commentator for away games. He's new at it, but doing a decent job.

Audio has definitely improved in the last 10 minutes.  Not perfect but getting close.

Update from "Support."

"There is an issue with the connection at the stadium and this is causing issues to the broadcast.

Kind regards

Hearts TV Support"

I accept that things can go wrong but this has happened many times before.  Does nobody check these things out in advance and, if not, why not?  This is not a free service.  It's over $100 a season for subscribers.

Just want to thank Laurie for the update , I very much echo what desert and Jambo in Iraq have said ......

im also liking Andrew as the

co-commentator I’m away days ... 

andrew your sounding more and more professional every game .. 

looking forward to the new campaign 

once again cheers Laurie

Andrew's input was very valuable today.  Well done!

Still need to get his mic up to the same level as Laurie's though.

Does anybody at Hearts TV actually monitor what we see and hear?

There's a video clip of today's goals on a separate thread which seems to have been recorded from a SSN report. 

If it's still up, this is the link  http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/178028-todays-goals-ssn/

To get these goal clips SSN must be getting a video feed of the whole game.  Why can't Hearts TV get live access to that feed for subscribers?

29 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

There's a video clip of today's goals on a separate thread which seems to have been recorded from a SSN report. 

If it's still up, this is the link  http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/178028-todays-goals-ssn/

To get these goal clips SSN must be getting a video feed of the whole game.  Why can't Hearts TV get live access to that feed for subscribers?

Good question... not sure why we can’t get all the away games with live video feed

( obviously not including the grounds that are in the middle of nowhere)

Especially since we now have the recorded highlights of the entire game up on Hearts TV for subscribers only.

Some explanation needed here from somewhere although quite who to contact continues to be a mystery.

30 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Is it not something to do with licensing?

I thought so too Typhoon but Aberdeen and Hamilton both got the Tynie games live last year even though they were not televised.

Just had a quick Look at BT sports, Sky and BBC Alba for this coming Saturday.

Sky Has Us V Celtic, BT Sports has nothing from Scotland and Alba has the Livi V killie game.

Now after going on the Aberdeen website they have the game listed as live for overseas subscribers and they are away to Dundee.

Bit annoying as it is the same company.

https://redtv.afc.co.uk/tv/dashboard

Edited by Neon
Red TV website

On 1/29/2018 at 17:14, Preston Jambo said:

We have had video from non televised games at Celtic in the past, but it has all been a bit random and we don't find out until the last minute.

There's an Aberdeen fan at my work here in Germany who subscribes to Red TV.

He pays the same as we do but they get video for most away games with Hearts being one of the exceptions.

We do seem to be getting a raw deal in comparison to other teams supporters. 

Wasn't the end of the season just felt like it lol.

Probably doesn’t belong in this place , but I’m going to throw this out there ... is there any way to record the live stream????

i ask this as sometimes with the early kick offs I have to run about doing other things outside the house and end up missing the match ...., 

I asked the main site for a Hearts TV contact earlier today to see if we cold resolve the away game streams.

I'll let you know if I receive a response.

Much to my surprise this message from [email protected] was in my mailbox this morning.

"Hi Brian

Thanks for contacting us.

You can forward any questions that you have to this email address and we will deal with them.

Kind Regards

Hearts TV Support"

I'll follow up with the comments about streaming away games and suggest other subscribers do so too.

3 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Much to my surprise this message from [email protected] was in my mailbox this morning.

"Hi Brian

You can forward any questions that you have to this email address and we will deal with them.

Kind Regards

Hearts TV Support"

I'll follow up with the comments about streaming away games and suggest other subscribers do so too.

Great work tracking someone down Desert Dawg, Maybe rather than 300 people asking the same questions and giving the same suggestions it should be sent in a batch.

Would cut down on the Hearts TV support workload and would give us the answers we seek sooner.

Thread is called Hearts TV, Q and A.

Up to you bud, tried in vain previously to get a hold of anyone through the website, so I salute you.

I feel a bit for Laurie, as he must see this thread at times and pull his hair out.

It will be great to have an open line of communication on this.

Sorry just been pondering this a little further,

When it comes to enhancing the whole Hearts TV experience, we have  had some interesting new content this season with replays of last seasons games,

just prior to this years games - this should be a standard, along with round ups of all the goals so far in competitions.(where possible)

A back catalogue of all televised games may be of interest to some viewers eventually with video analysis of games by past greats.

Further access to the facilities around Tynecastle and the Orium for the TV Crew.

For young fans, Player profiles of past Legends and up and coming greats.

Just a few ideas.

I would get a gauge on who would be more willing to pay for a better service through a poll in the general forum though.

Not exactly hard fact but a decent indicator, dependent on whether we have just beaten celtic or got mauled by St. Johnstone.

If you need any help or don't have the time I am happy to help.

Neon

Edited by Neon

TyphoonJambo
6 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

"Hi Brian

Kind Regards

Hearts TV Support"

Interesting to hear what they come back with.

I responded regarding the audio quality his season so far, especially the second mic, and also raised the issue of away game streams particularly since, as mentioned above, Aberdeen fans can see their team's games on "Red TV" at Tynecastle but we don't get a reciprocal service.

As NeonJambo says above, now that we finally have a contact point, let's get a list of other issues compiled so that they can be addressed by Hearts TV.

Posting on this thread forum will suffice as I can copy them to an email message when a sufficient number of points have been made.  

I may be out in my own in this one , but , I like the half time the way it is , just the live pictures of the kids clubs and Scott Wilson in the background... makes me feel a bit more closer to being at the match rather than stuck in Canada ..... just my opinion mind :) 

Desert , or shall we now call you Brian:)

point to make to support - periodic blackouts , mostly when the game is live on uk tv .. that is so frustrating and number 1 issue I would have 

Brian's good.  DDawg works well in Northern Arizona too!

Not sure that I understand your point re periodic blackouts.  Can you be more specific?

jambo in iraq
4 hours ago, 1874 said:

I may be out in my own in this one , but , I like the half time the way it is , just the live pictures of the kids clubs and Scott Wilson in the background... makes me feel a bit more closer to being at the match rather than stuck in Canada ..... just my opinion mind :) 

I’m with you on this one mate. Infact it’s the Mrs que for going to get me a pie, bovril and packet of monster munch from the Scottish shop! I go even further and actually stand up for the 15 minutes too!

jambo in iraq
3 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Brian's good.  DDawg works well in Northern Arizona too!

Not sure that I understand your point re periodic blackouts.  Can you be more specific?

I get this too. Screen goes black or cuts out normally for about 30 secs. You can still see the score in the corner and it’s not buffering so I presume it’s just a buffering issue between the live feed and hearts tv.

Same price as red TV, so fair enough.

Hopefully this means additional content also though(not just the extra games), or I shall be stopping it over the summer.

Edited by Neon

I would guess that away live games will include 

rangers

celtic

aberdeen

dundee

st mirren

as stick ons as all currently offer their own live tv broadcasts) 

killie

st j

hamilton

livi

motherwell

are the 5 I’m not sure about purely as I don’t recall them having much of an online tv prescence so may be limited to audio

and Hibs Away should be on tv anyway so that’s covered 

(not ITK just using previous experience)

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts TV/ppv thread.. Q's and A's here.
  • Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren pinned this topic