Hearts TV/ppv thread.. Q's and A's here.

BM1874

Worthing Jambo

Laurie and Jimmy are great.

The tv providers are absolute amateurs!!

They have had a couple of seasons to perfect it but I don’t think they give a shit!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DesertDawg

• Neon

• Laurie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolute shambles.

Quality of video very average.

Umpteen playbacks of Morton's goal  in post match summary and a couple for Walker's.

Buffering, hiccups all over the ace.

1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

Absolute shambles.

Quality of video very average.

Umpteen playbacks of Morton's goal  in post match summary and a couple for Walker's.

Buffering, hiccups all over the ace.

Not their best day, that’s for sure. 

Very amateurish today. Can they not have a studio? There was buffering, mic problems, poor replays/continuity. What about some post match interviews? Honestly I didn't mind paying full price for a platinum ST but we are getting short changed. A serious rethink is needed for next season or the ST numbers will fall dramatically. Laurie and Jimmy do well but the support technical side is severely lacking.

Edited by credit card

22 hours ago, jdl2002 said:

Any body know if i can cast off the ipad to tv? I usually watch one the ipad, but curious to see what its like on 65in screen?

Been some problems with some casting attempts but you can only see what happens with your own equipment.

Replay selection and timing wasn't good today but buffering was not an issue at the source as my picture didn't glitch once.    

3 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Replay selection and timing wasn't good today but buffering was not an issue at the source as my picture didn't glitch once.    

It could be that Hearts style of play is like a stream running slow and buffering 😋

CornhillHearts
On 31/01/2021 at 09:29, Laurie said:

Should have this in place for the next home game 👍

Again, I’m aware it’s not your area Laurie, but as others have said above the replays of total non–events when the game is going on is infuriating. 

Assuming the “picture within picture” replay style is a non-starter think it be preferable if there was no replay, unless there’s a major break in play.

5 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

It wasn't "buffering" as such, the stream was playing but the picture was "jittery". A green screen appeared a few times then someone took the stream offline for a while then it was OK after that. 

When stuff like thus happens, obviously we all think that the problems are at our end & routers get rebooted etc. 

Have a look at Twitter and you'll see that lots of people had the same problems at similar times. 

Needs sorted. 

Edited by iainmac

I use silk browser on my TV.

Was fine until last couple of minutes of first half. Picture froze completely.

Logged out and back in and still couldn't get a picture. 

2nd had restarted, tried my phone Chrome and it was fine. Got it back onto the TV just after Morton goal. Was fine until minutes, got buffering again.

Question is, why are streams touchy with certain  browsers, had same issue with Alloa LC cup match.

And I support  other posters of ill timed replays, very irritating. 

17 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Am I right in saying they didn't show an inmatch replay of our goal?

The video production in general yesterday looked like it was being done by someone on work experience. 

I mean, they completely missed the start of the 2nd half FFS! 

As someone mentioned,  our owner made her fortune in IT, surely she should be all over this. For the record, I use HTV International and its great value this year and the commentator are brilliant. However there's so much scope to do more.

18 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

As someone mentioned,  our owner made her fortune in IT, surely she should be all over this. For the record, I use HTV International and its great value this year and the commentator are brilliant. However there's so much scope to do more.

To be fair, they will be hoping that there is significantly less reliance on it from next season so the payback period could be short. 

41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair, they will be hoping that there is significantly less reliance on it from next season so the payback period could be short. 

They're not even aware there are problems from this recent statement.

Heart of Midlothian continues its commitment to ensure that no fan misses out on any Tynecastle action by broadcasting every home match live on Hearts TV.

With Hearts TV coverage going from strength to strength, the club’s significant investment in matchday coverage – unrivalled in the Championship – will see another four-camera setup in operation this Saturday.

2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Heart of Midlothian continues its commitment to ensure that no fan misses out on any Tynecastle action by broadcasting every home match live on Hearts TV.

With Hearts TV coverage going from strength to strength, the club’s significant investment in matchday coverage – unrivalled in the Championship – will see another four-camera setup in operation this Saturday.

Aye, that’s the sort of spin you would expect from the likes of BT. 😎

30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Aye, that’s the sort of spin you would expect from the likes of BT. 😎

BT are experts when it comes to broadcasting Dave but you get what you pay for! 😜

Been a happy Hearts TV International subscriber for years and I must say that this service has improved a lot from its beginnings and just gets better and better. Can't wait to see people back in the stands though and hopefully the team will find back to its top form soon. HHGH    

18 hours ago, iainmac said:

It wasn't "buffering" as such, the stream was playing but the picture was "jittery". A green screen appeared a few times then someone took the stream offline for a while then it was OK after that. 

When stuff like thus happens, obviously we all think that the problems are at our end & routers get rebooted etc. 

Have a look at Twitter and you'll see that lots of people had the same problems at similar times. 

Needs sorted. 

Can't be at the source if my stream in Arizona was glitch free from buffering, judders or anything else although the audio in only the left channel was a bit odd.  Much more likely to be a regional backbone or national carrier issue.

4 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Been a happy Hearts TV International subscriber for years and I must say that this service has improved a lot from its beginnings and just gets better and better. Can't wait to see people back in the stands though and hopefully the team will find back to its top form soon. HHGH    

Leve Kongen Harald

been here before
6 hours ago, iainmac said:

If ever there was an example of bullshit then thats it right there.

Just about every stream Ive seen this season, paid for or iffy, has been far superior to the crap served up on Hearts TV.

To call the whole overall Hearts TV matchday production shite would be doing a diservice to shite.

Hearts TV is the only thing worse then our performances, it's like we run it through a Nokia 5110 :(

No panel, no discussion other then the 2 sitting up on the gantry with their mic far too close so it's constantly distorting.

HT - 5 minutes of analysis, 10 quiz questions, interview with an ex-player on the game, quiz answers, back to the game - how hard is that?

8 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Hearts TV is the only thing worse then our performances, it's like we run it through a Nokia 5110 :(

No panel, no discussion other then the 2 sitting up on the gantry with their mic far too close so it's constantly distorting.

HT - 5 minutes of analysis, 10 quiz questions, interview with an ex-player on the game, quiz answers, back to the game - how hard is that?

They did have Rob Borthwick as well on Saturday, though the sound went for a while, so small steps it seems. 

been here before
2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Too hard when theres shitty betamax quality youtube clips available.

On 21/02/2021 at 20:31, colinmaroon said:

Leve Kongen Harald

Amen to that Colin😀 God Save the Queen as well👸

Staying on the topic of the thread I think it could be a nice idea to interview former players/ celebrities before after matches. Moreover I miss seeing people in the stands so it could also be an idea to add a regular fans view on things as well. Shouldn't be that difficult finding someone that could give their predictions for the match/ former games or talk about their favorite player from home. Having said all this I must say that our commentators are doing a good job considering the circumstances👏    

On 21/02/2021 at 13:46, iainmac said:

That wound me up when I read it on the website, having a "four-camera setup" sounds great in theory but it's utterly pointless if you employee 4 camera operators and a director who've never covered a game of football in their lives.

It would be better to have 2 qualified camera operators actually capturing the match well rather than 4 doing a half arsed job giving the some other numpty the opportunity to reply 3 different angles of poor footage, likely of a nothing incident or of someone standing about scratching their arse, over the live action.

Guess I could've saved a lot of time and just said; quality over quantity.

Morning folks,

Sorry for the delayed update, I was waiting to hear back on a few things from the club - as I raised a few concerns/issues after the last home game. There have been virtual meetings with the two third party providers since, and I'm told a few issues from the last game should be ironed out; although I'm not involved in these discussions personally so I can't confirm any specifics. 

I know there were problems at the Morton match (believe me, I was going mad myself trying to figure out what was going on while trying to speak on air at the same time) but some of the challenges are related to the fact that we'll get feedback that the coverage all worked perfectly for many. There is someone who monitors the stream and also a group of fans who provide feedback directly on any problems. If we take the previous home game as an example, no issues were reported on the stream that was being monitored or from the subscribers who provide feedback - I also saw that Dunfermline fans were commenting that it was the best coverage they'd seen this season and was worth the PPV price (they even mentioned they didn't mind Jimmy, which is a big thing for them because they apparently hated him as a player 😆). That's not to say there haven't been problems (many of them documented by myself in here), it's just a case of isolating the issues that are related to the output itself.

In terms of the parties involved in the service, I've mentioned previously that it's the same company that provides the coverage for most of the Premiership clubs and ourselves. One of the differences with the Premiership is that the additional cameras are all part of the overall broadcasting agreement, and so is an onsite broadcast unit, so the clubs have access to these add-ons at no extra expense, while in the Championship Hearts have to pay extra. But it's the same company producing and operating the cameras across the different clubs, just a little more challenging outside of the top flight. 

Anyway, I know that's all a bit vague - as mentioned I'm not directly involved in the internal meetings (although I did have a catch up with those that I deal with at Hearts, to run through the issues at the Morton game from my perspective and provide a bit of feedback from some viewers I'd spoken to as well). I'm not an employee so can't provide definitive, or official, updates - but just thought it worth sharing that issues like the ones experienced at the Morton game are monitored and there are things going on in the background to look at ways to rectify and improve upon them. 

Laurie 

"In terms of the parties involved in the service, I've mentioned previously that it's the same company that provides the coverage for most of the Premiership clubs and ourselves. One of the differences with the Premiership is that the additional cameras are all part of the overall broadcasting agreement, and so is an onsite broadcast unit, so the clubs have access to these add-ons at no extra expense, while in the Championship Hearts have to pay extra. But it's the same company producing and operating the cameras across the different clubs, just a little more challenging outside of the top flight." 

This is a wrinkle that I don't recall being discussed previously.  Does this mean that the streaming service provider has a contract with the SPFL or separate ones for each club that participates?  Either way, it demonstrates that there are two levels of service.  Which one do we get?  Does the club pay extra for the Premiership service or not?  If not, are we getting an inferior service quality but paying the same as the Premiership subscribers?

1 hour ago, DesertDawg said:

"In terms of the parties involved in the service, I've mentioned previously that it's the same company that provides the coverage for most of the Premiership clubs and ourselves. One of the differences with the Premiership is that the additional cameras are all part of the overall broadcasting agreement, and so is an onsite broadcast unit, so the clubs have access to these add-ons at no extra expense, while in the Championship Hearts have to pay extra. But it's the same company producing and operating the cameras across the different clubs, just a little more challenging outside of the top flight." 

This is a wrinkle that I don't recall being discussed previously.  Does this mean that the streaming service provider has a contract with the SPFL or separate ones for each club that participates?  Either way, it demonstrates that there are two levels of service.  Which one do we get?  Does the club pay extra for the Premiership service or not?  If not, are we getting an inferior service quality but paying the same as the Premiership subscribers?

Hi DD, I don't really know what the contractual agreements are tbh - I just know that there are standard setups in the Premiership because all matches require coverage and as part of that there are multi-camera setups and broadcast units at each of the games. And then I know some clubs also then incorporate other companies or bring certain parts of it in house (I know Aberdeen, for instance, add an additional company into the mix for the actual streaming/broadcast, but they use the same company as Hearts for the cameras and production/directing). And then they all still set their own prices for access and PPV.  I've possibly overcomplicated things by giving some information without knowing the finer details, I just know in the Championship we have to pay extra for some of the things that are part of the standard set up in the Premiership - but the club wanted to try to add more value to the coverage by doing that and not going with a more simple approach. 

Thanks for your response Laurie. 

I appreciate that you don't have access to all of the answers especially, as seems to be common with the SPFL, the fans and subscribers are always left out in the cold with no opportunity for positive input.  Anyway, your comments are always enlightening and we're grateful for that.

Looking forward to your streaming broadcast tomorrow.....especially the commentary!  :whistling:

16 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Thanks for your response Laurie. 

I appreciate that you don't have access to all of the answers especially, as seems to be common with the SPFL, the fans and subscribers are always left out in the cold with no opportunity for positive input.  Anyway, your comments are always enlightening and we're grateful for that.

Looking forward to your streaming broadcast tomorrow.....especially the commentary!  :whistling:

Thanks DD 😜

On another note, I had a chat with QTV about the replays a few weeks ago, as I mentioned before, and I've been told this morning that the "replay over match screen" will be rolled out today; so hopefully that helps with being able to see the match footage while a replay is on. 

colinmaroon

Must remember to check the weather forecast back home and if it's going to be a nice, sunny day, read a book.

Much of the first half the ball was invisible.  Do they not have filters for the cameras?

For those here who grouch about Hearts TV, ESPN+ are showing the Inverness v Raith game, except they've currently got an "apologies for technical difficulties in getting a signal from Inverness" screen up right now.  :down: 

Finally able to cast this week for the first time in months, the new player certainly seems an improvement. Picture quality seems to have improved a well.

Definite picture improvement with the full 1080 resolution.  

I got fooled too :wub:for a couple of minutes with the picture controls having been moved to the bottom LEFT.