Hearts TV/ppv thread.. Q's and A's here.

BM1874

colinmaroon

I'm getting the flippin' subscription options and I've been paying the flippin' thing for years!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DesertDawg

• Neon

• Laurie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wattie exploited

cant get the game what a load of shit got a subscription  always have problems with this shit 

Looks like Newcastle scored a second....not that we could see it.  Nothing but club logos now.

Good that some of us got a good signal.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for everyone.

What we need is the club to give us details of how the service is planned to be working in the new season.  Games to be covered, camera position, streaming video details and so on.

We've been advised that we'll have an ISDN line at Borough Briggs tomorrow evening, so hopefully everything should proceed without a hitch for our live audio coverage of the game. If there are any issues we do have our wireless contingency plan, but it shouldn't come to that.

I'll keep you all posted as and when I can, at the very least on Twitter before the match. 

Thanks Laurie.

Why don't we have a section on the Hearts TV page showing the streaming broadcast schedule for at least the next month if not the whole season?  Right now, trying to find a schedule is a bit like trying to find a seating chart for the new stand!

Also a section on the best way to receive the signal and tips on Chromecasting or using a Smart TV would be helpful, especially for new subscribers.

Perhaps you could also let us know what is planned during the new stand construction phase?  Is it going to be a repeat of last Friday's camera position and signal quality?

Moving further ahead, what are the plans after the new stand construction is complete?  Will the camera position move back to the McLeod Street side or remain in the Wheatfield stand? 

So no video for tomorrow? It would be great if we could have a schedule for the whole season. Laurie, out of interest why can we not ensure every game- home and away- is streamed? I can watch high school diving on live TV in America but can't watch a massive team like hearts anywhere half the season. Surely we can find a way to get all the teams in the league on board with some kind of channel/YouTube page for all the spl games where every game is streamed live? Is it really too hard to bring a camera to places like Elgin to stream the game? They are planning on getting drones to deliver Amazon packages but we can't have a webcam to stream games? Forgive me for my ignorance if I'm totally off the mark. It's just a struggle missing games when I was at every game when I was living at home in Scotland.

the hearts tv schedule is usually every home game is streamed and any away game that is on tv will be streamed, away games not on tv will be commentary only  

Afternoon folks,

Following DesertDawg's post above I had a word with Phil and got some updates on some of the points mentioned.

Upcoming Broadcasts

The rule of thumb is that all home games will be broadcast with live video for international and audio only for UK subcribers, with away matches all audio only unless the game is live on TV, in which case we can use the feed from Sky/BT. The Hearts TV homepage does list upcoming broadcasts, however it didn't have an update on a few of the latest fixtures simply because we weren't sure if we were going to be able to do coverage due to the facilities at some of the smaller clubs.  

Chromecast 

Any issues or queries in this regard should be directed to Sports Media directly, who are contactable at [email protected]. However following your message I've been advised that we will be looking into providing a hints/tips page on the site, which will hopefully provide some support in this area. 

Signal Quality

There have been some issues with signal quality, especially when we've opened the stream up for UK subscribers as well as international. I'm told it is something that will be raised with Sports Media. At the moment it is worth bearing in mind, however, that we are effectively working in a construction site so there may be some teething problems until the building phase of the new stand has been completed. 

Going Forward

All broadcasts from Tynecastle will now be from the Wheatfield Stand gantry, which is obviously the perspective you get for any TV coverage or highlights. Every home league game will be covered with the SPFL's new deal with BBC and Alba so we will be sharing the same feed for coverage. Once the new stand is built all TV broadcasts will remain in the Wheatfield Stand. 

Hi Laurie,

Appreciate your prompt response and also noticed your comments on the other thread that you bumped today re poor streaming quality.  As you clearly understand, the central issue here is one of pulling together to get the quality of match experience and video replays that we all want.  It really is a pleasure to watch a good quality stream from Tynecastle at 7.00am (Arizona time) on a Saturday while enjoying breakfast.

The "rule of thumb" comment is welcome but a published schedule would be very helpful too.  Believe me, where some of us are located, it's not always easy to find the start times of broadcast games or, in some cases, even the days on which the games are being played!  Bearing in mind that the target market for streaming video is overseas subscribers then this would be a welcome addition for all of us. 

Many thanks for the Sports Media contact email address.  Maybe you could suggest a reference title (e.g. Hearts TV) for messages so that they go direct to the proper destination?

A tips and hints page will be welcome.  Several of us will no doubt be happy to help with that or indeed on running tests if deemed useful.  Meantime, a recommendation for a secure test stream would be helpful for comparison purposes to help us determine whether any problems are emanating from the broadcast end, the receiving end or somewhere in between.  Since so many changes are being made to the stadium and streaming video service, perhaps it would be useful to run a test stream at certain pre-designated times so that subscribers can get any problems straightened out.  There is nothing worse than playing back a pre-game video interview perfectly then having the signal deteriorate as soon as it becomes live.  This has happened far too often and has to be addressed. 

Your response re signal quality is welcome.  Yes, it's clear that the North American signal deteriorates when you add both UK and international subscribers to the video stream.  Similar, but not identical problems, have always occurred when the video stream has been supplied by a TV channel.  This is a critical issue which needs to be resolved a.s.a.p.

Yes, I'm sure that working in a "construction site" has its' problems but if the long term plan is to secure a permanent camera location from the Wheatfield stand gantry using the BBC/Alba feed that is good news......subject to resolution of the shared feed problems mentioned above.   

Brian.

Evening guys,

Nightmare at Borough Briggs, line not working so commentary not happening tonight. A right pain as we were promised in advance that there would be a working line, however that hasn't come to fruition.

Apologies all.

Laurie

Evening guys,

Nightmare at Borough Briggs, line not working so commentary not happening tonight. A right pain as we were promised in advance that there would be a working line, however that hasn't come to fruition.

Apologies all.

Laurie

Hmm, so the "wireless contingency" is affected by this how?

I just saw the announcement about the lack of audio although, as mentioned, no news of the "wireless contingency" plan.

It does raise the question that despite this fixture being known about for a month or so did nobody go up to Elgin to test the facilities?  Surely it wasn't left until yesterday to make a 'phone call?

jambo in iraq

I just saw the announcement about the lack of audio although, as mentioned, no news of the "wireless contingency" plan.

It does raise the question that despite this fixture being known about for a month or so did nobody go up to Elgin to test the facilities?  Surely it wasn't left until yesterday to make a 'phone call?

exactly, these guys need to remember we are actually paying for this service! sometimes get the impression Hearts seem to think its just a nice wee addition to the website. If it was free i could understand!

Must agree with " Jambi in Iraq " and " desert dog " on this one .... and we have been paying all through the close season also .. well I have anyway

Yes, we have.  I don't doubt Laurie's efforts but what accountability does "Sports Media" have?  

Right now I'd just call the guys at Firhill in Glasgow and give them free rein.

Yes, we have.  I don't doubt Laurie's efforts but what accountability does "Sports Media" have?  

Right now I'd just call the guys at Firhill in Glasgow and give them free rein.

There is no accountability to anyone, it would seem.

A massively amateur effort, lessons are NEVER learned and we are constantly let down.

It is a piss-poor effort all round from HMFC on this front, were it not for the fact I have to work abroad sometimes, I would certainly unsubscribe. The twitter-feed is almost as bad.

Perhaps it is time for the club to take this aspect a bit more seriously.

That's a good question.  According to Laurie's latest message above the schedule is for all home games to be shown live from the gantry in the Wheatfield stand via the new BBC/Alba feed although whether that feed will be operational or not on Saturday we don't seem to know.

If you login to Hearts TV today under "latest," you can see a replays of each half of last night's game and one of the goal.  Above the "latest" section there is a section marked "upcoming live fixtures" but it's blank.  Now, we also have another fixture next Tuesday at Peterhead.  Are we getting a feed from that?  If so, will it be tested and listed well in advance or will we be waiting again on a Twitter text from Laurie 10 minutes before the game is due to start? 

As 1874 says, we've been paying through the close season and now that a new season has started the service is, if anything, worse than before. 

Might be helpful if "Sports Media" had a look here to see how simple it is to create good listings and coverage.

http://www.raith.tv/

I cancelled my subscription through the off season... I'm a smart cookie!

But they could even look at any college athletics program in the USA for how to run a media company. I played at 3 schools all with under 1000 people at them- small NAIA schools and each one had every sports games stream home and and most of the time away. It's a camera, an internet connection and some basic software. We should be able to watch every game all the way down to the lowland league. The whole league system should have a site with every game listed- but this would probably be thought of as something that would hinder attendance.

So many questions, so few answers. I really feel this thread is incorrectly titled.

Does the club actually have a policy on this, indeed are they even aware of what a risible service they are presenting to their adoring public?

Evening all,

There had been an issue with the wireless kit that I wasn't aware of previously, so it was being repaired (or replaced) . Not ideal and obviously in the circumstances it meant with the fault line at Borough Briggs we had no back up. 

I won't try to answer the general issues mentioned above, not within my powers to do so, but what I can say is I'll pass everything on to those at the club who are more involved.

Apologies again for the lack of coverage last night.

Laurie 

Captain America

Recently subscribed for Newcastle game and Hearts TV was working on laptop.

On my tablet tonight was going to watch last night's game and getting message below.

503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request.

Anyone any idea how to fix this?

Evening all,

There had been an issue with the wireless kit that I wasn't aware of previously, so it was being repaired (or replaced) . Not ideal and obviously in the circumstances it meant with the fault line at Borough Briggs we had no back up. 

I won't try to answer the general issues mentioned above, not within my powers to do so, but what I can say is I'll pass everything on to those at the club who are more involved.

Apologies again for the lack of coverage last night.

Laurie 

Maybe you could have asked Barry Anderson for a loan of his phone.

Please don't worry about answering thew general issues about the service being risible, maybe just answer the specific points about the continual failures. Especially since "wee diddy teams" appear to have a much firmer grasp on both concepts of technology and customer service than Hearts do.

It is a massively amateur performance from a club such as our's and needs to be addressed with some urgency.

Recently subscribed for Newcastle game and Hearts TV was working on laptop.

On my tablet tonight was going to watch last night's game and getting message below.

503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request.

Anyone any idea how to fix this?

There was no live video (or audio) last night so that's probably why you got that message

The only updates were Hearts on Twitter(@jamtarts) or Scott Davy (sp?) calling in open all mics with updates

There was no live video (or audio) last night so that's probably why you got that message

The only updates were Hearts on Twitter(@jamtarts) or Scott Davy (sp?) calling in open all mics with updates

This statement is incorrect, Barry Anderson ran a live video feed of the first half from his mobile phone - a feat that appears to be beyond the ken of Hearts' "media" department.

Edited by Pie-Heid

Captain America

It is tonight im getting the message when i try and go onto the site on tablet.

When I checked on laptop earlier option was there for both halfs to watch.

Thanks for your input Laurie and your offer to pass on our comments to "those at the club who are more involved."  So we don't waste your time here, who is involved?

C-3PO......which browser are you using on your tablet?  There seems to be a history of tablet problems with some browsers.......something else for "those at the club who are more involved" to resolve?

Captain America

Thanks for your input Laurie and your offer to pass on our comments to "those at the club who are more involved." So we don't waste your time here, who is involved?

C-3PO......which browser are you using on your tablet? There seems to be a history of tablet problems with some browsers.......something else for "those at the club who are more involved" to resolve?

Tried few different browsers on tablet.

All with same issue.

In response to a couple of things mentioned;

This statement is incorrect, Barry Anderson ran a live video feed of the first half from his mobile phone - a feat that appears to be beyond the ken of Hearts' "media" department.

Unfortunately SPFL rules prohibit us from "periscoping" matches, if individuals do so then obviously that's their call and at their risk but I'm sure you can appreciate the club cannot do the same. 

In terms of broadcasting video for away games that aren't covered live elsewhere, the costs are astronomical, relatively speaking, for this. It's not as simple as it may appear, unfortunately, hence why clubs generally only provide video coverage at home games or through Sky/BTs feeds. 

The technical issues are a different kettle of fish and as I mentioned earlier we're looking for some guidance as part of the Hearts TV site on browser issues etc. 

In terms of the upcoming matches, the East Fife game on Saturday will be available with video and comms for international subscribers and audio only for UK. I've been assured that Peterhead away next week will also be available as audio only and the wireless kit will be back in action in case of any further ISDN line issues at Balmoor. 

Thanks again Laurie.

I guess that "periscoping" falls under the broadcasting rules.  Besides, it's a notorious virus conduit.

Wouldn't it be possible to devise a sharing scheme with other clubs for away games?  Most seem to be run by volunteers so they should be keen to participate.

e.g.

RaithTV is the official video service of Raith Rovers Football Club, providing match highlights, exclusive interviews and other news about the club. Non-live content is free.

raithtvlive_preview.jpg

RaithTV Live is our matchday video (outside the UK and Ireland) and audio streaming service.

RaithTV is run by volunteers on behalf of the club.

That's better news re the next two games but is there no information yet about next week's Dunfermline game?

C-3PO, I tried the Hearts TV video replays this morning on an Amazon Fire tablet using the default "Silk" browser. Worked well with a good clear picture.

Are you connecting to a local wifi router or via cell phone service.  If the latter, you might be getting your bandwidth throttled to block video streaming by the carrier.

Captain America

C-3PO, I tried the Hearts TV video replays this morning on an Amazon Fire tablet using the default "Silk" browser. Worked well with a good clear picture.

Are you connecting to a local wifi router or via cell phone service.  If the latter, you might be getting your bandwidth throttled to block video streaming by the carrier.

It's working tonight.

I saw on twitter that someone else had asked Hearts about it & they were investigating it so assume they fixed something. 

Glad you got it going.

If there was a problem it would be helpful to have that listed on Hearts TV then a note posted when the fix was made.

Credit where it's due though.  We've now got the next 4 fixtures listed on the home page and if you float your cursor over the title bar on each one you get a popup showing what coverage is available. 

Big improvement.  Thanks Laurie.

TyphoonJambo

Laurie,

Any chance of getting a better mike to the reporters asking the questions during the interviews? I can normally here the responses but struggle with hearing them being asked.

Glad you got it going.

If there was a problem it would be helpful to have that listed on Hearts TV then a note posted when the fix was made.

Credit where it's due though.  We've now got the next 4 fixtures listed on the home page and if you float your cursor over the title bar on each one you get a popup showing what coverage is available. 

Big improvement.  Thanks Laurie.

This is how it was last season, nothing new.

Laurie,

Any chance of getting a better mike to the reporters asking the questions during the interviews? I can normally here the responses but struggle with hearing them being asked.

Usually I have to turn the volume up so much to hear it, if you make the mistake of restarting the video, the jingle that plays at the start just about blows the cones in my speakers or the top of my head off (with headphones on) as it is about ten times louder than the rest of the audio track.

Even with the volume cranked you can barely make out what the "journalists" are asking.

There was one interview with Cathro where some other group was having a party in the background, you could hear them more clearly than the questions.

Edit: So I'm with TJ on this at least point a mic in the direction of the "journalists" so we have some chance of hearing the questions, no doubt this'll cause huge technical issues, maybe it'll contravene an SPFL by-law  or something.

Edited by Pie-Heid

Video replay of Tuesday's Elgin City game streaming perfectly in HD.  

Let's hope that this continues when live streaming starts.

Can't believe I can't get this working , especially after all the complaints recently, you would have thought they would have done something about it

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts TV/ppv thread.. Q's and A's here.
  • Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren pinned this topic