Hearts TV/ppv thread.. Q's and A's here.

BM1874

Hi folks,

A couple of queries in the thread to respond on. 

Reserve Cup Final

I advised previously that we had attempted to get permission to screen this and were denied, however this was in relation to showing the match to all subscribers - as the club had aimed to show it in the UK as well as overseas. We would have been able to show it to international subscribers, however after assessing the costs associated with this the decision was made that audio only would be the only viable option. That decision may have been made regardless of the ability to show the game in the UK, I'm not sure and wasn't involved in the process. It's quite costly for us to screen games though, as there are additional personnel contracted for each game we broadcast. Obviously the reserves are not part of the usual offering, even if we'd hoped to give something extra for subscribers in this instance (and the addition of audio commentary for a non first team match was some extra content, even if not the pictures that some had hoped for). 

Rangers Coverage

The difficulty when we face Rangers, or Celtic, from a broadcasting perspective is that neither Old Firm club requires our feed, or support, when they travel to Tynecastle, or other Premiership grounds for that matter. Apart from the fact the matches are normally on BT or Sky, thus giving them a feed anyway, even in the instances when their game is not shown they both have their own broadcasting unit so can actually cover a match without the need for the home side to provide the facilities or a feed. Unfortunately, due to resources, Hearts and the other clubs in the league don't have the same facilities and therefore when they travel to other stadiums they rely on either a feed from a TV company, if the game is shown live by a mainstream outlet, or the home team sharing their feed. Luckily we've now got the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Dundee on board for this sort of reciprocal agreement, meaning much more away games can be screened with video footage for international subscribers. Alas, the situation with Rangers and Celtic is that, for now at least, we have no access to video at their grounds. 

Laurie 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DesertDawg

• Neon

• Laurie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Laurie said:

Hi folks,

Reserve Cup Final

I advised previously that we had attempted to get permission to screen this and were denied, however this was in relation to showing the match to all subscribers - as the club had aimed to show it in the UK as well as overseas. We would have been able to show it to international subscribers, however after assessing the costs associated with this the decision was made that audio only would be the only viable option. That decision may have been made regardless of the ability to show the game in the UK, I'm not sure and wasn't involved in the process. It's quite costly for us to screen games though, as there are additional personnel contracted for each game we broadcast. Obviously the reserves are not part of the usual offering, even if we'd hoped to give something extra for subscribers in this instance (and the addition of audio commentary for a non first team match was some extra content, even if not the pictures that some had hoped for). 

Rangers Coverage

The difficulty when we face Rangers, or Celtic, from a broadcasting perspective is that neither Old Firm club requires our feed, or support, when they travel to Tynecastle, or other Premiership grounds for that matter. Apart from the fact the matches are normally on BT or Sky, thus giving them a feed anyway, even in the instances when their game is not shown they both have their own broadcasting unit so can actually cover a match without the need for the home side to provide the facilities or a feed. Unfortunately, due to resources, Hearts and the other clubs in the league don't have the same facilities and therefore when they travel to other stadiums they rely on either a feed from a TV company, if the game is shown live by a mainstream outlet, or the home team sharing their feed. Luckily we've now got the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Dundee on board for this sort of reciprocal agreement, meaning much more away games can be screened with video footage for international subscribers. Alas, the situation with Rangers and Celtic is that, for now at least, we have no access to video at their grounds. 

Laurie 

Laurie, it cannot be stated enough just how much the fans appreciate your input into these threads.

With regards to the reserve cup final can you explain who denied the club permission, this was not a televised match and on home territory.

Was it simply a matter of our service subscribers not wishing to put the game out live - the whole game was recorded and the audio was provided...So I would like to know who stopped this as we could have shared revenue with Motherwell after costs were covered by both clubs.

As for Rangers coverage, I would like to see Hearts world do a deal beneficial to both clubs by offering single match deals that many of the smaller clubs offer.

Subscribers could sign up for a 5.99 deal with RangersTV, Hearts seem to be very behind the trend on this and only offer monthly subscriptions.

Again Laurie I am very grateful for your input and I am well aware that a meeting took place two weeks ago to discuss how the club move forward.

Some simple suggestions have not been addressed since September of last year and I am starting to lose patience.

The club had a meeting two weeks ago and I hope the details will be released soon.

Cheers

Jay

Edited by Neon

2 hours ago, Laurie said:

Hi folks,

Reserve Cup Final

Rangers Coverage

Laurie 

Yet another reason for disliking the ugly sisters they have no intention of contributing anything towards other clubs financed if they can get away with it bloody crininal 

1 hour ago, neonjambo said:

Laurie, it cannot be stated enough just how much the fans appreciate your input into these threads.

With regards to the reserve cup final can you explain who denied the club permission, this was not a televised match and on home territory.

Was it simply a matter of our service subscribers not wishing to put the game out live - the whole game was recorded and the audio was provided...So I would like to know who stopped this as we could have shared revenue with Motherwell after costs were covered by both clubs.

As for Rangers coverage, I would like to see Hearts world do a deal beneficial to both clubs by offering single match deals that many of the smaller clubs offer.

Subscribers could sign up for a 5.99 deal with RangersTV, Hearts seem to be very behind the trend on this and only offer monthly subscriptions.

Again Laurie I am very grateful for your input and I am well aware that a meeting took place two weeks ago to discuss how the club move forward.

Some simple suggestions have not been addressed since September of last year and I am starting to lose patience.

The club had a meeting two weeks ago and I hope the details will be released soon.

Cheers

Jay

Providers sorry*

Laurie,

Thanks for your response.

Reserve Cup Final.  Sorry, but this is nonsense.  We are paying 40% more this season in return for which we were promised more games. I would have expected that a FINAL at any level would have been one of these games especially since video cameras were in action.  Video clips with the Hearts TV logo were available on the Internet immediately after the game followed by full game videos on the official site the next morning.  Raith TV shows all home and away games, many of which have smaller crowds than this final at Tynecastle, so it's far from clear that cost is the issue.  How many active subscribers are there?    

Scottish Cup Semi-final  Are we getting video of this or not?  Close to a week before the game and we still don't know.

Laurie. If Rangers and Celtic don’t collaborate on Feeds why do you/Hearts allow their Broadcast Units into Tynecastle? Tony. 

9 hours ago, twjambo said:

Laurie. If Rangers and Celtic don’t collaborate on Feeds why do you/Hearts allow their Broadcast Units into Tynecastle? Tony. 

Exactly what I was thinking .... why let them in .. there is no benefit to hearts or there supporters.... unless they pass us the silver dollar under the table .... if you know what I mean ......

Clubs are obliged to allow the away side access and a working line to provide coverage of the matches (even if the working line bit is often not adhered to). This is usually, although not always, sufficient to get a connection for an audio stream. If a game is on Sky/BT/BBC etc then there is a feed that can be shared by both home and away sides, thus allowing video coverage.

The challenge is when there is no video feed. For Celtic and Rangers there generally is one when they are away from home, but if not all they need is access (which clubs are obliged to provide) because their mobile broadcasting unit (I think it's similar to the vehicles you see for the TV companies, but on a smaller scale - don't quote me on that as I'm not entirely certain) means they don't need the home team to provide the necessary connect/hook-up to broadcast a live video stream. Whereas for the rest of the teams we rely on a direct internet connection and necessary bandwidth to stream live video from the pictures we're taking. 

As I say, this isn't my area as such as the above description is probably slightly sketchy - I can find out finer details if necessary but that's the long and short of it basically. 

Unfortunately a lot of it is down to technology and a lack thereof when it comes to Scottish football stadia. As some of you will know, often even getting a line to work at all is a challenge at some grounds, so I'm sure you can imagine that trying to get hooked up for a video broadcast, with the additional personnel that come with that, is a risky expense and one that would often be fruitless. 

Hopefully Sports Media continue to grow their client base around the Premiership, which will allow more and more away matches to be screened with pictures for international subscribers to Hearts TV.

Also, as next week's semi-final is on TV we will have live video for international subscribers. Any game on live TV will be shown on Hearts TV. 

7 hours ago, Laurie said:

Clubs are obliged to allow the away side access and a working line to provide coverage of the matches (even if the working line bit is often not adhered to). This is usually, although not always, sufficient to get a connection for an audio stream. If a game is on Sky/BT/BBC etc then there is a feed that can be shared by both home and away sides, thus allowing video coverage.

The challenge is when there is no video feed. For Celtic and Rangers there generally is one when they are away from home, but if not all they need is access (which clubs are obliged to provide) because their mobile broadcasting unit (I think it's similar to the vehicles you see for the TV companies, but on a smaller scale - don't quote me on that as I'm not entirely certain) means they don't need the home team to provide the necessary connect/hook-up to broadcast a live video stream. Whereas for the rest of the teams we rely on a direct internet connection and necessary bandwidth to stream live video from the pictures we're taking. 

As I say, this isn't my area as such as the above description is probably slightly sketchy - I can find out finer details if necessary but that's the long and short of it basically. 

Unfortunately a lot of it is down to technology and a lack thereof when it comes to Scottish football stadia. As some of you will know, often even getting a line to work at all is a challenge at some grounds, so I'm sure you can imagine that trying to get hooked up for a video broadcast, with the additional personnel that come with that, is a risky expense and one that would often be fruitless. 

Hopefully Sports Media continue to grow their client base around the Premiership, which will allow more and more away matches to be screened with pictures for international subscribers to Hearts TV.

Also, as next week's semi-final is on TV we will have live video for international subscribers. Any game on live TV will be shown on Hearts TV. 

Sorry Laurie, but I disagree with the part in bold.

I have constantly emailed them over several years and their customer service is lacking.

At present we have a website which has interview with our manager the day before derby day which is unplayable.

*Bollocks, after switching off the VPN which I need to use in China the stream worked, however my point on customer service stands*

Edited by Neon

Perfect stream for me today, unfortunate to lose onward and upward - I would have liked to have seen replays at half time however.

Fixtures are out for the top six games still nothing to see on the upcoming live fixtures list.

No word of the Semi-Final yet either...

Don't know about you but the stream starts at 4.00am here........again!  That'll be the second time in a week.  :tumbleweed:

Usual rules apply to the upcoming matches, so home matches and any live TV games will have a video feed for international subscribers.

You'll be pleased (maybe) to know that as all of our remaining matches are either at Tynecastle or live on TV, international subscribers will get to watch all of them. 

2 hours ago, Laurie said:

Usual rules apply to the upcoming matches, so home matches and any live TV games will have a video feed for international subscribers.

You'll be pleased (maybe) to know that as all of our remaining matches are either at Tynecastle or live on TV, international subscribers will get to watch all of them. 

Edited by 1874
Doyle post

Let's hope that Media Sports don't leave their connection to the last minute again so that we get some "wee sweary words" over the audio cast.  Real professional stuff that was!

I often wonder why Laurie, Jimmy and Andrew battle through the obstacles that this company seems to enounter almost every week?  The good news is that their commentary alone makes it worthwhile.

Onwards and upwards.  Let's get to this final.    

Amoruso_lets_it_run

Just came on to say exactly the same as guys above but also have video now. I normally watch in Singapore but in Abu Dhabi today and was thinking something might be different here!!

All good now. 'Mon the JTs

On 11/04/2019 at 04:44, Laurie said:

From Laurie Dunsmore on the Hearts TV Q & A thread last week.

Still waiting on Phil responding to my latest email which was sent on the 2nd of April.

His previous response (11th of march) to my email regarding JKB suggestions back on the 15th of August 2018 was the following.

Let me express my sincerest apologies for not getting back to you until now.

You are, of course, no less a Hearts supporter than anyone else, regardless of location, so please do not feel like I have been purposefully ignoring you.

It’s been a very busy period here at the club, on and off the park, and indeed on a personal note away from employment so I haven’t been able to fully focus my attentions on HeartsTV of late so again, please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your previous emails.

To give a quick recap of where things stand with the product;

Since December, 17 out of our 18 first team fixtures have been broadcast live outside of the UK & Ireland on HeartsTV, and that one match (away to St Johnstone) couldn’t be broadcast only because the home team’s facilities weren’t in place at that time.

Subscriber numbers are still at a high level, though there has been a small drop off. There will undoubtedly be a variety of reasons for this but the biggest one will be the poor run of form the first team went through.

We have recruited a new, full time member of staff; Andrew Petrie. You will have heard Andrew on commentary duties, mainly at away games when he co-commentates with Laurie. A big part of Andrew’s remit will be to create content for HeartsTV.

Our department underwent a few changes before 2018 was out and, in all honesty, it’s taken us longer than expected to get up to speed with how we want to shape HeartsTV going forward. We have a meeting scheduled next week and the relevant people will finally get together and put in place a firm plan to really push the product. I will raise the suggestions from your previous email because absolutely nothing is off the table at this point, so if you can bear with me until then then I can respond to each suggestion.

Certainly, we want HeartsTV to be pro-actively produced. I acknowledge there were issues with the stream from Tynecastle in January but these problems seem to have now been solved. This meeting next week will be a ‘cards on the table’ affair, so if you’ll allow me until then, I will contact you again with news on our plans improve the service.

Kind regards,

Phil

New staff yet still no updated schedule of live games on the website, no new content of a substantial nature and a blatant disregard of overseas members is where I am at.

An accurate and informative service should be the minimum requirement of HeartsTV.

Edited by Neon

Hi NJ,

Just so you're aware, Phil went on annual leave after the semi final and I know he was pretty flat out before then, which is partly why you won't hear anything from him at the moment. 

I've mentioned the upcoming live schedule to the others in the team though and asked for it to be updated. 

Laurie 

Deary me.  This must be the only business I know where employees don't schedule their vacation time during down time periods.  e.g. the CLOSE season for Scottish football. 

The last response that I got from Phil was in October.....that's SIX months ago.  I did get Phil's auto-responder when he was with the club in Spain during the winter break so, as indicated in the responder message, I  contacted Andrew Petrie who did his best to help with my questions re streaming video which he passed on to the video crew.  Since then there has been no sensible response.

Like NJ, I am getting increasingly frustrated by this subscription "service."  Frankly, if it wasn't for the quality and entertainment of the commentary, I'd probably cancel. 

Two weeks ago we couldn't see the Reserve Cup final, seemingly due to the "costs" involved and despite being in the Scottish Cup final for the first time in 7 years, we still do not have any official confirmation of whether we will see the game on Hearts TV.   

10 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Deary me.  This must be the only business I know where employees don't schedule their vacation time during down time periods.  e.g. the CLOSE season for Scottish football. 

The last response that I got from Phil was in October.....that's SIX months ago.  I did get Phil's auto-responder when he was with the club in Spain during the winter break so, as indicated in the responder message, I  contacted Andrew Petrie who did his best to help with my questions re streaming video which he passed on to the video crew.  Since then there has been no sensible response.

Like NJ, I am getting increasingly frustrated by this subscription "service."  Frankly, if it wasn't for the quality and entertainment of the commentary, I'd probably cancel. 

Two weeks ago we couldn't see the Reserve Cup final, seemingly due to the "costs" involved and despite being in the Scottish Cup final for the first time in 7 years, we still do not have any official confirmation of whether we will see the game on Hearts TV.   

Really good points from the guys here and I hope someone can at least acknowledge there points and also some posters on here have done a lot of work to try to help with hearts tv going forward.... it’s just a shame nobody from the club can be ersed to reply ( this does not include any of the commentary staff )

not very good service for the amount of cash we pay for it ...

it now cost myself $23.34 a month (Canadian) 

and be I can’t even get a decent quality of stream straight from the website through a browser ... I have now resorted to watching the match on tv (if on live ) from my android box and uk tv subscription... I miss Laurie and jimmys commentary so much .... but the quality of the stream is just so much better .....

i cant see where I have an option to play HD from the webpage player .. the most I get is 720 I think .. 

anyone who can help me and knows of a way of getting HD quality straight from hearts tv webpage would be good to know ... 

anyhoo it’s late here and I’m starting to ramble to much now ...... 

good work guys ..... 

On 11/04/2019 at 19:44, Laurie said:

Bump as the Media group have still not listed any games on upcoming matches.

How bloody difficult is it.

Sorry just to add,

I am so bloody frustrated that our fan forum is releasing this information two weeks prior to the club website announcing it.

Laurie this has nothing to do with you and we really value your input and depend on it.

If I was an unsure subscriber overseas, I may think - Damn I'm out of Uk for 5 weeks this is perfect and sign up.

As it is the website says nothing. So forget about new subscribers unless they have read it on here.

So short sighted.

Cheers Laurie and Jimmy,

For the excellent commentary thru-out the season, I hope we have Jimmy back in some form.

Maybe mix it up and ask him questions like who has been the best loan signing he has seen at the club.

During his time who was the most volatile?

From the opposition point of view who was the most courteous to him and who was a complete the most arrogant.

I wish him well and hope to hear him in the Final, no matter the result, we are there on merit.

DesertDawg
On 04/05/2019 at 09:09, neonjambo said:

Cheers Laurie and Jimmy,

For the excellent commentary thru-out the season, I hope we have Jimmy back in some form.

Maybe mix it up and ask him questions like who has been the best loan signing he has seen at the club.

During his time who was the most volatile?

From the opposition point of view who was the most courteous to him and who was a complete the most arrogant.

I wish him well and hope to hear him in the Final, no matter the result, we are there on merit.

Did I miss something on last week's stream here?

Anyway, looks like we're on tomorrow evening with the Red TV commentary. :(   Still nothing about the Cup Final though.

Quesada Jambo
3 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Ffs man listening to these droning sheep commentators is brutal. Laurie Wtf?

Yes, the commentary was so biased but the production was great. No buffering and interviews at half time. Well done redtv

3 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Ffs man listening to these droning sheep commentators is brutal. Laurie Wtf?

9 hours ago, Quesada Jambo said:

Yes, the commentary was so biased but the production was great. No buffering and interviews at half time. Well done redtv

That's fair, could not complain about the broadcast barr the two numpties commentating. 

DesertDawg
9 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

That's fair, could not complain about the broadcast barr the two numpties commentating. 

The first half pair weren't too bad but the second half......just awful. Once again, the value of our own commentary team is self-evident. 

For the first time I ran a Chromecast link to my TV from a laptop and, yes, not a blip in the entire video stream.  I did think it might have been due to the location of the laptop but seems that it was the quality of the actual stream.  So, how does RedTV get this kind of service but HeartsTV doesn't......yet we're using the same contractor?

DesertDawg
3 hours ago, OakvilleJambo said:

Will the cup final against Celtic be live on Hearts TV for international subscribers.?

Good question.  As always with Hearts TV, it's a mystery.  :tumbleweed:  

On 10/05/2019 at 00:00, DesertDawg said:

Did I miss something on last week's stream here?

Anyway, looks like we're on tomorrow evening with the Red TV commentary. :(   Still nothing about the Cup Final though.

Sorry DD, did not mean to put it out of context, Jimmy just does not attend away games - guessing he will be at the final though ;)

2 hours ago, Dinger said:

yes the final will be on hearts tv. 

I agree with you Dinger, but it is a sad state of affairs when our website is updated sometimes on the day of the match - how is that attractive to perspective subscribers is beyond me.

DesertDawg

Both games against Celtic are finally on the 'Upcoming Live Fixtures" section of the Hearts TV site.  Why it takes until 48 hours before the game, I don't know.  If there was a good reason then it's a simple courtesy to paying subscribers to tell us about it.   

DesertDawg

Another fiasco.

Audio has been breaking up badly since before the game.  Settled down reasonably well but broke up badly again after Mularaney's goal and now we have nothing.

This "service" just goes from bad to worse.

27 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Another fiasco.

Audio has been breaking up badly since before the game.  Settled down reasonably well but broke up badly again after Mularaney's goal and now we have nothing.

This "service" just goes from bad to worse.

I thought it was my TV for spells, It seems to be switching to a single channel.

Thankfully the Kids have been a delight to watch.

DesertDawg

Agree Jay.  Entertaining.  Once the signal came back up the audio and video streams have been fine. Still smacks of no testing until 5 minutes before the KO though.

Quick question for you all 

is anyone else getting a slightly blurred picture from the far away cameras on hearts tv . I used to get really good HD quality, but recently ( last 3/4 games) it seems that I am getting no HD .. I stream from iPhone to Apple TV , also play straight from the website , stream to Chromecast, I’ve tried them all to no avail. 

I do have a subscription for iptv and the streams (HD) from them for any football game on sky or BT or BBC etc is really good HD quality. 

Just dont want want to miss jimmy and Laurie commentary on the final if I switch to anything but hearts tv 

DesertDawg

Can't say that I've noticed it but since it seems that we'll be getting a Live TV stream on Saturday then we should be O.K.  Of course, that's making the rather optimistic assumption that somebody will test the system more than 5 minutes before K.O.

Do you rely on the "Auto" HD settings on the stream or select your own manually?

23 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Can't say that I've noticed it but since it seems that we'll be getting a Live TV stream on Saturday then we should be O.K.  Of course, that's making the rather optimistic assumption that somebody will test the system more than 5 minutes before K.O.

Do you rely on the "Auto" HD settings on the stream or select your own manually?

Hey desert .....

i select 1500 HD , that’s the only option I get ...

Hey guys,

We're going to provide an extended show on Saturday, so the programme will begin at 2pm with build up to the big game. 

Still finalising plans but will be on air from the start and look to provide some content at half time too. 

Details to follow.

Laurie 

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts TV/ppv thread.. Q's and A's here.
  • Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren pinned this topic