**** Official Rugby World Cup 2015 thread ****

Matthew Le Tissier

Matthew Le Tissier

Any chance of a stickie for the duration mods?

Really looking forward to this. Got tickets for Ireland vs Canada and Australia vs Fiji in Cardiff.

Pool A

Australia

England

Fiji

Uruguay

Wales

Pool B

Japan

Samoa

Scotland

South Africa

United States

Pool C

Argentina

Georgia

Namibia

New Zealand

Tonga

Pool D

Canada

France

Ireland

Italy

Romania

Pool A is a hell of a pool with either England Australia or Wales not making it out. Hoping England and Wales do though

Pool B Scotland will have to be on their A game when they play Samoa or it could be a very early exit with South Africa winning the group

Pool C is New Zealands and Argentinas

Pool D France and Ireland should go through as Italy just won't have enough.

Hoping England win it, but wouldn't be fussed if it was Wales or Ireland

ToadKiller Dog

New Zealand to walk it .

England or South Africa to get beat in the final .

Scotland will get out of the group stage

Looking forward to this. Don't generally watch much club stuff, but love it when internationals come round. Genuinely fear for Scotland though, Samoa are more than capable of beating us and the boks could give us a right doing if they're at full strength. Got a horrible feeling our record of always making it out the group stages will come to an end.

The winners will come from one of the big three southern hemisphere nations, with either Wales or Ireland making up the numbers in the semi's. England to crash out early doors, buckling under the weight of expectation.

The highlight of the tournament will be the look on Inverdale's face as England get pumped out. Even better if it's at the group stage.

Hard to look past any of the big three for this with New Zealand looking ominous. But they normally do and haven't always lived up to it. There is also the great unpredictable issue of which France turn up.

So far today England have beaten Ireland and Wales are beating Italy but have lost their scrum half Webb to a suspected broken ankle. Also Halfpenny is getting stretchered off which will be terrifying to see for the Welsh fans.

Looks like Wales have lost Rhys Webb & Leigh Halfpenny for the World Cup through bad leg injuries.

Webb had about 400kg of players come down on his ankle, and Halfpenny looks like he's twisted his knee, maybe a cruciate.

Halfpenny out is a massive blow, can't see them getting out the group now.

fabienleclerq

I fancy Scotland to do well, I reckon we will win all games in the group bar a narrow defeat to the boks.

grantaitchie8

Normally I'd fancy us to get thumped off South Africa, but with all the negativity surrounding their camp at the moment, there will never be a better time to beat them, even more so with a favourable pool. I'd still be surprised if it happened though. I'd imagine England will top pool A with Australia coming 2nd. Hard to see past New Zealand though, and even with Ireland losing today, I still had them to make the semis at least, possibly the final.

Really looking forward to this.

Hopefully Scotland will get out of their group.

Win their first two games against Japan and USA,not get a humping against South Africa and then it will be all to play for against Samoa.

A good performance by the Scots in Paris tonight, almost stole it at the end.

Feeling a little bit more confident about our chances now.

Out in the group = poor

Out in QF = ok

Further than qf = great

I think Hogg, Maitland and Visser could really fire up in this WC.

Anyone know what the Scotland squad is? 

We'll get out the group but that'll be all. 

I think England will do well with the crowd behind them. 

The Old Tolbooth

We've shown a lot of promise in the warm up matches, things are looking a lot brighter, but how many times have we said that in the past?

Call me daft, but I think S Africa could win the whole thing, the All Blacks have never won this thing outside of their own country, Australia might not even get out their group of death (neither might England or Wales, a great group!), and Ireland are the dark horses for me at 8/1, they should have a relatively easy passage to the semis, and are as short as 2/1 to reach the he final, where it becomes a one off stab in the dark for a shot of glory, it might just be done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Malinga the Swinga

Looks like Wales have lost Rhys Webb & Leigh Halfpenny for the World Cup through bad leg injuries.

Webb had about 400kg of players come down on his ankle, and Halfpenny looks like he's twisted his knee, maybe a cruciate.

Don't really like to see players getting serious injuries at any time, but as it is Wales we are talking about, can't say I am too upset. If only Jonathan Davis could injure himself tripping down some stairs and injure his whiny little voice for the next month or so, then that would also help matters.

Ticket prices are crazy.

Only tickets available for the Samoa game are over ?100.

I am going to the Samoa game and the tickets we got were ?75 and they were the third cheapest. It was a Xmas present from the bursd parents.

Don't really like to see players getting serious injuries at any time, but as it is Wales we are talking about, can't say I am too upset. If only Jonathan Davis could injure himself tripping down some stairs and injure his whiny little voice for the next month or so, then that would also help matters.

Fortunately the coverage is on ITV so that should keep Jonathan Davis away from it.

Say What Again

Anyone know what the Scotland squad is? 

Scotland?s 31-man squad

Props: Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh, 46 caps), Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors, 23 caps), Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors, 11 caps),Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby, 2 caps), Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons, 6 caps)

Hookers: Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors, 9 caps), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby, 88 caps), Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby, 2 caps)

Second row: Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby, 10 caps), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors, 14 caps), Richie Gray (Castres, 45 caps), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors, 12 caps)

Back-row: David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby, 27 caps), John Hardie (Unattached, 1 cap, Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors, 0 caps), Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan, 45 caps), Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors, 10 caps)

Scrum-halves: Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby, 7 caps), Greig Laidlaw (Captain, Gloucester, 40 caps), Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors, 16 caps)

Fly-halves: Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors, 10 caps), Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors, 19 caps)

Centres: Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors, 8 caps), Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors, 10 caps), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby, 28 caps), Richie Vernon (Glasgow Warriors, 22 caps)

Wings: Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors, 96 caps), Sean Maitland (London Irish, 15 caps), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors, 17 caps), Tim Visser (Harlequins, 20 caps)

Full-back: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors, 33 caps)

Balls up with draw (3 years ago when Wales were on a bad run) has created an exciting element in a normally predictable early phase.

Tbf last tournament was okay but again mainly because of Wales.

Anyway might be interesting. Predict 4/5really decent games at most.

Leigh Halfpenny is out due to knee injury late in last warm up game on Saturday.

Wales can still do well but clearly a blow. Unlucky for anyone to miss out.

Looking forward to this. Don't generally watch much club stuff, but love it when internationals come round. Genuinely fear for Scotland though, Samoa are more than capable of beating us and the boks could give us a right doing if they're at full strength. Got a horrible feeling our record of always making it out the group stages will come to an end

We didn't make it out of the group stages in the last World Cup. Hopefully we will perform better this time round.

I'm going to the Samoa game which I reckon is likely to determine whether we make it through in 2nd place or not.

We didn't make it out of the group stages in the last World Cup. Hopefully we will perform better this time round.

I'm going to the Samoa game which I reckon is likely to determine whether we make it through in 2nd place or not.

And if games go to form we will have England or Australia in the quarters. Hmmmm.

Carl Spackler

Unless I've read the schedule wrong the organisers have managed to give Scotland a match at 2.30 on a Wednesday (v Japan). The only match of the whole tournament midweek and early afternoon.

If this is to suit Japan I don't see them helping them out any other times or indeed any other team's home audiences in this way.

Anyone know the thinking behind this? What was wrong with the Monday night?

Managed to get two tickets for the Samoa game which if all goes to plan will decide if we get into the quarter finals.

Should be a good day out in the Toon.

Just noticed we have a thread going for this, good work Le Tiss! :2thumbsup:

Can't see past the AB's, their squad is phenomenal, superior in every department, even with the notable omissions of Jane, Dagg, Piutau and Sopoaga.

The fact it's the last outing in the famous Black jersey for Messrs Carter and McCaw, it would only be fitting to see the greatest Fly-half and Open-side Flanker to ever grace the game, finish their Test careers with the greatest prize of all.

I see the Southern Hemisphere dominating overall but this is how I think the tournament shall pan out:

Pool A - Winner: Wallabies

Pool A - Runner-Up: England

Pool B - Winner: Springboks

Pool B - Runner-Up: Scotland

Pool C - Winner: All Blacks

Pool C - Runner-Up: Argentina

Pool D - Winner: Ireland

Pool D - Runner-Up: France

QF1 - Springboks v England

QF2 - All Blacks v France

QF3 - Ireland v Argentina

QF4 - Wallabies v Scotland

SF1 - Springboks v All Blacks

SF2 - Ireland v Wallabies

Bronze Final Winner - Springboks

Final - All Blacks v Wallabies

RWC Winner 2015 - All Blacks

Just checked my TV guide and the opening game's not on STV HD, wtf? It's on ITV,but still.

Was perplexed at this also.

No sure if it's just a misprint as there is a blank slot from 6:45pm till 22:15pm, which is of course the scheduled showing of the Opening Ceremony, followed by England v Fiji!

Let's hope so!

Was perplexed at this also.

No sure if it's just a misprint as there is a blank slot from 6:45pm till 22:15pm, which is of course the scheduled showing of the Opening Ceremony, followed by England v Fiji!

Let's hope so!

Just checked again, and it's showing now on the guide. Don't know what happened, but would have been a surprise if the opening game of the WC wasn't on STV.

Bag packed ready to go for the journey down to Wales. Cannot wait for Saturday

Nice one, enjoy mate! You taking in the Ireland and Wales games? Landslide victory for both, 50+ points!

Matthew Le Tissier

Nice one, enjoy mate! You taking in the Ireland and Wales games? Landslide victory for both, 50+ points!

Ireland vs Canada

Australia vs Fiji

My older brother got tickets through his Rugby Club.

Quite looking forward to experiencing a Welsh pub whilst Wales are on TV.

Ireland vs Canada

Australia vs Fiji

My older brother got tickets through his Rugby Club.

Quite looking forward to experiencing a Welsh pub whilst Wales are on TV.

The atmosphere the Taffy's create is unparalleled, mind sample the local craft beers, Ewan Evans particularly...different class! If you like that kind of thing likes! :2thumbsup:

I've a feeling there will be a lot of debate about the physical aspect of the game this tournament. The growing difference between the professional nations and the likes of Uruguay in terms of players size and fitness could see a spate of injuries and concussions.

chester copperpot

Tough tough group for England, Aussies and Wales. Only 2 out of the 3 to qualify, I think England are stick on's, however I think there's going to be plenty of surprises this WC.

I aint no Rugby coach so to be honest, I'm watching with interest only, however think the QF's will be:

Australia
England
Scotland
South Africa
New Zealand
Tonga
France
Ireland

Only Wales out because of injuries in such a horrible group!

With the obligatory obnoxious arrogance in full flow from the usual suspects within English Rugby and the media, the next twat to take to the stage is Matt Dawson. 

Another incredibly embarrassing attempt to ridicule the Haka (one of the greatest traditions and spectacles in world sport).

Absolute crass from a so-called respectable Rugby name. He's been around the game long enough to show the utmost veneration and integrity towards the cultural beliefs of the AB's.

It once again just demonstrates the level of northern hemisphere ignorance that is regularly shown towards the various true meanings of the Haka, blissfully unaware it's performed to welcome opponents and respect them for the challenge that lies ahead.

Let's see his and the rest of his 'mates' smugness when they come up well short during the Quarters! :)

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup/rugby-world-cup-2015-all-blacks-furious-after-matt-dawson-ridicules-the-haka-with-the-hakarena-20150916-gjohxr.html

Argentina and Scotland to meet in the semi final.

In all seriousness, both these are worth an outside punt, if Scotland can win ugly and combine it with some of their excellent recent strides then I can see them getting to the semis.

Argentina are my dark horses.

Matthew Le Tissier

Tough tough group for England, Aussies and Wales. Only 2 out of the 3 to qualify, I think England are stick on's, however I think there's going to be plenty of surprises this WC.

I aint no Rugby coach so to be honest, I'm watching with interest only, however think the QF's will be:

Australia

England

Scotland

South Africa

New Zealand

Tonga

France

Ireland

Only Wales out because of injuries in such a horrible group!

Argentina for Tonga and your spot on imho

Starts tonight, England v Fiji. England will win comfortably, but Fiji will make it a physical battle as always and I expect Australia and Wales will be hoping England picking up one or two injuries. Looking forward to seeing more of Nemani Nadalo for Fiji, the 6'5'', 19st 10lb winger who is also their goal kicker. Good luck Jonny May :lol:

Groups;

England to win Group A, Autralia 2nd.

South Africa to win Group B, Scotland 2nd.

New Zealand to win Group C, Argentina 2nd.

Ireland to win Group d, France 2nd.

Quarters;

Australia beat South Africa

England beat Scotland

New Zealand beat France

Ireland beat Argentina

Semis;

England beat Australia

New Zealand beat Ireland

Final;

New Zealand beat England

What are we all doing? Is it support your Hemisphere or is it ABE?

The "ABE" chat I find embarrassing personally and it stinks of "wee team syndrome". I don't automatically want England to lose in either rugby or football, there are certain teams I'd like to see beat England but definitely teams I'd like to see them beat.

If it's Argentina, South Africa or France v England at rugby, I want England to lose. Always had a bit of a soft spot for those three.

If it's Wales, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand (realistically the only other teams with a chance of beating England), I'd much rather see England win.

People go on about Jeremy Guscott and Brian Moore being intolerable but personally I find Jonathan Davies and Phillip Matthews unbearable and far, far more biased than either Guscott or Moore.

In fact, **** it, I actually like Brian Moore :lol: 

I have done my wager.  

The best team in the Southern Hemisphere: New Zealand v The best team in the northern Hemisphere: Ireland.

New Zealand to win.

The "ABE" chat I find embarrassing personally and it stinks of "wee team syndrome". I don't automatically want England to lose in either rugby or football, there are certain teams I'd like to see beat England but definitely teams I'd like to see them beat.

If it's Argentina, South Africa or France v England at rugby, I want England to lose. Always had a bit of a soft spot for those three.

If it's Wales, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand (realistically the only other teams with a chance of beating England), I'd much rather see England win.

People go on about Jeremy Guscott and Brian Moore being intolerable but personally I find Jonathan Davies and Phillip Matthews unbearable and far, far more biased than either Guscott or Moore.

In fact, **** it, I actually like Brian Moore :lol:

Never liked Moore at all when he played the game (I did jokingly advise him of this when I meet him in the Thistle suite at Murrayfield, to which he replied "not many did" :rofl: ), as a pundit however he is absolutely superb; honest, respectful, impartial and about the only one that can properly analyse the game from a technical and strategic perspective. Top bloke! :2thumbsup:

Guscott, Dallaglio, Woodwood (the most biased going), Johnson, Davies, Thomas etc...absolutely honking!! :thumbsdown:  

Add another to the Brian Moore fan club. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping that whining arsehole Davies isn't involved in this as it's going to be bad enough listening to that Inverdale *****.

Didn't think that was even a penalty personally.

Edit: I meant the "tip tackle", not the penalty try. The penalty try was the correct decision, which makes the yellow card harsh IMO.

One or the other for me.

Another incompetent display from Jaco Peyper as per, never a penalty on May. He jumped in to the tackle, what is Waqaniburotu meant to do? He held his man safely, May was nowhere near horizontal and he did not drive him into the ground. The yellow for Matawalu was just shambolic, the entire front row came in from the side, not the smallest man on the park.

The obligatory indiscipline from Fiji yes but England reliant on thee most basic errors from the opposition. Pretty woeful if truth be told!

Archived