Would you support a 'refugees welcome' banner at an HMFC game?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This trend has been growing in European football and by the sounds of things Villa's fans are going to produce a banner to that effect at Leicester next weekend.

Is it something we should do? I wouldn't object at all tbh.

I don't understand why anyone would object, especially after the photos in the papers this morning. We need to get the message out to our government by whatever means possible.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

No.  Let them stay in Parkhead.

It's not just Celtic though is it? Loads of clubs are getting involved

I think we should keep politics out of football. Do we need to come up with a list of those who are and are not welcome at our club? If you want to do something political organise a rally, protest, march whatever somewhere else. In the city or Holyrood or wherever.

Wouldn't object but wouldn't support it either. (not that i disagree with the sentiment) but football grounds are for supporting football clubs. Just my opinion, not interested in getting into an argument with anyone. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I think we should keep politics out of football. Do we need to come up with a list of those who are and are not welcome at our club? If you want to do something political organise a rally, protest, march whatever somewhere else. In the city or Holyrood or wherever.

Fair comment.

Good post Chuck

Understand the laudable thoughts behind this idea, however, I'm firmly of the view that politics are far better kept well away from football.

Guy on Jeremy Vine show today said he would put up a tent in his garden for a family of refugees and pay for their education and health care.

Why don't you do that?

I say keep politics out of football.

Prince Buaben

Wouldn't object but wouldn't support it either. (not that i disagree with the sentiment) but football grounds are for supporting football clubs. Just my opinion, not interested in getting into an argument with anyone. 

Agreed.

alicante jambo

Every year radio forth do a collection for kids at christmas.According to the stats 1 in 4 children in the edinburgh area live in poverty.Im one for getting the house in order first.politics and football better left alone.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Guy on Jeremy Vine show today said he would put up a tent in his garden for a family of refugees and pay for their education and health care.

Why don't you do that?

I say keep politics out of football.

I don't have a tent or a garden, nor do I have much money to speak of.

If I was a refugee coming here, I'd want to live with someone other than me tbh.

Fly the Saltire

Yes we should have banners welcoming refugees at next home game particularly as we support Save the Children on our shirts .

Nicola Sturgeon is 100% right as the UK takes in the lowest number of refugees and economic migrants per head of population than any other country in Europe despite what the right wing tabloid press might lead you to believe.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

No to politics at football please... No to politics on a football forum...

It is relevant. This trend is spreading and I can see us getting asked to do it at some stage soon.

Yes we should have banners welcoming refugees at next home game particularly as we support Save the Children on our shirts .

Nicola Sturgeon is 100% right as the UK takes in the lowest number of refugees and economic migrants per head of population than any other country in Europe despite what the right wing tabloid press might lead you to believe.

This post is the one that makes me agree with keeping politics out of Tynecastle. I'm out.

ToadKiller Dog

How do you keep politics out of Football ?

History shows that it's not really posiblle .

World war 1 saw footballers branded as cowards

1936 Nazi Germany used the Olympics only to be embarrassed by Jessie Owens .

The two black US athletes doing the black power salute in 1968 .

The boycott of South African in sport .

The West and East have always used big sporting events as a show of its prowess more so the U.S. And the USSR during the Cold War even destroying sports people's lives .

Sport is intertwined with politics .

TriggersBroom

Treating people like people transcends politics for me.

Yes, I would support such a banner.

This. Well said. 

Treating people like people shouldn't be political. 

Not for me I'm afraid ..It would make us look too much like Sellick..No place for politics in sport

Also we should be looking after our own folk first..and not some other countries...Just my two bobs worth

Every year radio forth do a collection for kids at christmas.According to the stats 1 in 4 children in the edinburgh area live in poverty.Im one for getting the house in order first.politics and football better left alone.

This 

What could be quite a powerful message of solidarity could easily be high jacked by narrow minded parochial bollocks, such as the above.

Shame. as the idea has potential.

Fort Vallance

No.                     Find some other way to campaign to the government if you feel strongly enough. Everything that has got political involvement has usually resulted in division. How far do you take it ? A banner every time something upsets somebody. I agree it's a serious issue and needs action but keep it out of sport.    

Something needs to be done to help these people but something also has to be done about Scotland's poverty before we can afford to help refugees. Catch 22

With respect, I would say that this grassroots movement  isn't really about politics and is in fact the antithesis of it. This is more about the separation of politics and humanity.

I fully support the idea of banners and hope there will be some at any match but at the Germany match in particular.

Frans de Waal, a biologist, argues in The Age of Empathy (2008) that humans are human because we are empathetic. De Waal writes, "Empathy is part of the survival package, and human society depends on it as much as many other animal societies do." Working against claims by economists and biologists that humans are essentially self-interested, de Waal demonstrates that, like primates, elephants and dolphins, we have an instinct for cooperation rooted in our ability to identify with the suffering of others.

Teuchterjambo

How do you keep politics out of Football ?

History shows that it's not really posiblle .

World war 1 saw footballers branded as cowards

1936 Nazi Germany used the Olympics only to be embarrassed by Jessie Owens .

The two black US athletes doing the black power salute in 1968 .

The boycott of South African in sport .

The West and East have always used big sporting events as a show of its prowess more so the U.S. And the USSR during the Cold War even destroying sports people's lives .

Sport is intertwined with politics .

Just because it happens (for all the wrong reasons as your post shows) doesn't mean that a football match is the place to highlight what is a real issue  ... but not directly an issue to football.

At what stage does it become more important to have a political banner than one supporting your team ?  Protest and showing support is laudible for many causes but without a direct link to football they should be left in the political arena.

tartofmidlothian

This. Well said. 

Treating people like people shouldn't be political. 

FFS. Agreeing with Trigger twice in two days.

Helping people falls under 'human decency' rather than 'politics' for me.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Some people are saying no because it will make us look like Celtic. :ermm: That's a pretty tragic excuse and makes you sound more like a Celtic fan than anybody else.

I'm all for keeping politics out of football, but there is an ongoing humanitarian crisis that needs to be urgently dealt with. Anything that raises attention and focus on the issues at hand and increases pressure on our government to act has got to be positive and encouraged.

PresidentGrant

Something needs to be done to help these people but something also has to be done about Scotland's poverty before we can afford to help refugees. Catch 22

Why? Can we only tackle one issue at a time?

Who's causing all these poor people to cross the med? We need to sort that out. This has nothing to do with Hearts and we shouldn't bring it to Tynecastle

Leave politics out of football. All a bit old firm to be honest

The cause is great but the message is political.

Best left alone. Hang a banner from your house if you feel that strongly about it.

Archived