• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the general

• Carl Fredrickson

• Seymour M Hersh

• Jambo314

2 coppers got beat up by a gang of yoofs outside the Portobello police station yesterday.

Pilton, Drylaw, Dumbiedykes, Piershill and Niddrie are hell holes.

piershill? Bit harsh! [emoji46]

I lived in west pilton for 9 years I could write a book about it! Crazy place! But to be honest I had some of the nicest neighbours ever. It's ashame a small proportion of that area give it such a bad name

TANTalizing...

From memory gracemount and southside were hibs so the Inch always tangled with them on a semi-regular basis.

I always ponder on how easier a cop's job is at a local level today, compared to then with the advent of computers and gadgets which keep hundreds of bored kids off the streets.

Pfffft!

Cabin Hearts! Radgest bunch of radges to follow the famous! Hibs my arse!

Notorious BIG

West pilton and east pilton not tp be confused, stayed east pilton all my days and never had an issue with it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it a boxer?  :toilet:

It was on its hind legs throwing its front paws at some old jakey while he tried to punch it in the face. Best trip to the dentist ever. 

chuck berrys hairline

What areas in west lothian are rough?

Anything after Mid Calder with exceptions to Murieston, Bankton and Deer Park.

luckyBatistuta

Top end of Restalrig and Piershill worst for me. Just a few examples...

Girl tried to stab me in the face with a screwdriver at Kemps corner

Guy tried to smash his way into my vehicle with a massive metal link chain at Piershill Square

Got locked in a flat with 3 people who tried to set a staffie on me on Sleigh Drive

Robbed at Jet garage on Restalrig Road

The place you're brought up in never seems as bad as the other parts of town you don't know so well..

Muirhouse and Pilton were never nice areas, but if you know them well, muck about there and you have friends there, then you don't feel intimidated.

To me, though, Niddrie and Burdiehouse and places in the south of the city always seemed worse - Oxgangs was too close to posh places to be rough.

The ex had family who lived in Gilmerton.....used to be travellers and a well known family in Edinburgh. Went To a wedding in some boozer there once years ago.....fek me it was exactly like the Chatsworth estate, mighty relieved once I was back home in the safe haven of crazyhill.

Bridge of Djoum

Anyone remember the Tollcross Rebels, Clerry Jungle, YBT, Pilton Derry and Niddrie Terror. Oh and Bar Ox ?

In fact was anyone on this forum in those gangs or others ?

YLS.

Ya bass.

Bridge of Djoum

Lived in Niddrie for a few years quite recently. Get the impression that porty, Musselburgh or Southside is generally the place to go for drinks if not town altogether.

Although there is still some crazy goings on in the area. Seen many bizarre sights in the community. Nothing bad really, just some crazy things being done by some rather colourful people.

Tad racist.

:pleased:

I live in the Calders. I've had a decent amount of shit go down in and around my building but I can only think of two occasions where I've felt I was personally in a bit of a hairy situation.

I'd say the place is mental but that doesn't necessarily mean I think it's hard. 'Rough' is probably about right.

Edit: Lived here for nearly five years btw.

i grew up in the Calders (1974-1999)... It was just a typical housing scheme. Good bad and plenty ugly! Haha.... But in all seriousness it was a good time in the 80s as a teenager, a good community feel about the place and nutters generally kept themselves to themselves....there was too many decent, ordinary folk who could handle themselves for them to mess with.

I often nip down memory lane and pass through in the car if I'm nearby...

Say What Again

Top end of Restalrig and Piershill worst for me. Just a few examples...

Girl tried to stab me in the face with a screwdriver at Kemps corner

Guy tried to smash his way into my vehicle with a massive metal link chain at Piershill Square

Got locked in a flat with 3 people who tried to set a staffie on me on Sleigh Drive

Robbed at Jet garage on Restalrig Road

You may want to consider changing the first part of your username :lol:

You'll get 'rough' areas in any city. I think the rough areas in Edinburgh however are not really that bad if we are comparing them to some of the other cities in the uk like London, Birmingham, Manchester etc.

Anyone remember the Tollcross Rebels, Clerry Jungle, YBT, Pilton Derry and Niddrie Terror. Oh and Bar Ox ?

In fact was anyone on this forum in those gangs or others ?

growing up YLT , YNT , Bar Ox and Gorgie Jungle were the biggest and hardest gangs

but there were loads of smaller mental crews as well Suicide,YMASS , TCR Lochend Shamrock ( who dressed like Clockwork Orange ) and loads others 

I'm nearly double your age so my memory of Oxgangs was of a rough area; the highlight being the Bar-Ox.

My dad's grew up in Oxgangs probably around the same time and has told me some stories about the Bar-Ox days. 

2 coppers got beat up by a gang of yoofs outside the Portobello police station yesterday.

Pilton, Drylaw, Dumbiedykes, Piershill and Niddrie are hell holes.

Drylaw ?

Easter Drylaw is one of the best kept former council estates there is. 96% owner occupancy now. Drylaw is not the 'ghetto' it used to be and never really was that bad anyway. Some parts of Wester Drylaw are still scummy but for the most part its owner occupied by hard working people who keep themselves to themselves.

Some areas of Polwarth (all privately owned and loads rented out to pondlife junky scum)  are far worse than most of Drylaw these days.

possilpark!!

bloody hell.

not long after i started singing, i was sent for a job in the possill there.  on the drive in there were 2 cars on fire, a burst water hydrant spraying water everywhere and i lost count how many abandoned white goods.

pub and its punters were pleasant enough, enjoyed the gig.  towards the end the owner went round every single person, myself and my mum included, asking what they were drinking and got drinks for the entire pub.

one of the local regulars who was sat next to us heard us say that we thought that a really nice gesture.  they responded with the story that the boy had been done with some crime (no idea what) and was getting the jail on the monday for 18 months or so, that was the expected verdct of his case on the monday. 

unbelievable place.

I used to work for a Windows company back in the 90s we used to have to go to places like possilpark and castlemilk.....they were "rough areas"

The Treasurer

growing up YLT , YNT , Bar Ox and Gorgie Jungle were the biggest and hardest gangs

but there were loads of smaller mental crews as well Suicide,YMASS , TCR Lochend Shamrock ( who dressed like Clockwork Orange ) and loads others 

Obviously Bar-Ox were the biggest and hardest.

Y M B O !!!

Pfffft!

Cabin Hearts! Radgest bunch of radges to follow the famous! Hibs my arse!

found polit's post a bit confusing?

I always thought that area ,inc Liberton as well, was majority Hearts?

TANTalizing...

:lol:

Pilton really has went right downhill recently. There seems to be a gang of wee laddies who want to break into every car they can or steal motorbikes etc. Annoying thing is they all boast about what they have done on social media yet seem to constantly get away with it. I think about 60% of the people in the area know exactly who they are, how do the police not?

jambos are go!

There are folk living around Barnton, Ravelston and Murrayfield who taken ordinary folk for probably billions and got away with it. 

Obviously Bar-Ox were the biggest and hardest.

Y M B O !!!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the rough kids are chatting

away back to a Bake Off thread or something

I work all across the city and find the Murrayburn/Dumbryden area the worst. For the poster who said Piershill, it's only 2 and a half streets. Can you even class that as an area ?

Jam Tarts 1874

Edinburgh has it's "rough areas" but they're like Disneyland compared to inner city areas and certain towns in England.

Stayed some weekends in Gateshead a few years back (met a Geordie lass in Spain) and it was a real eye opener.

So was she.

Indeed, I lived in Sheffield for a while - nightmare!  Genuine feral types around Manor Top.

zoltan socrates

How's Royston not been mentioned? Makes Baghdad look homely

Didn't the LRT recently say the were thinking of pulling services to pennywell road? That is a place I wouldn't even drive

There are folk living around Barnton, Ravelston and Murrayfield who taken ordinary folk for probably billions and got away with it. 

Don't forget us in Buckstone

:wonga:

The ex had family who lived in Gilmerton.....used to be travellers and a well known family in Edinburgh. Went To a wedding in some boozer there once years ago.....fek me it was exactly like the Chatsworth estate, mighty relieved once I was back home in the safe haven of crazyhill.

The Dykes? Quality pub

Edited by Sergio

I drove along Niddrie Mains Road for the first time in god knows. Anyway, so everything to the left of Niddrie Mains Road towards the railway line and Bingham has been flattened......looks weird with the church standing isolated. Is there any pubs around there? Where do people go for a pint?

The Craigmillar Hearts supporters club obviously. Cheapest pints in town.

:lol:

Pilton really has went right downhill recently. There seems to be a gang of wee laddies who want to break into every car they can or steal motorbikes etc. Annoying thing is they all boast about what they have done on social media yet seem to constantly get away with it. I think about 60% of the people in the area know exactly who they are, how do the police not?

Dinnae ken if you saw the video of the lassies kickin another lassie in the face? Unbelievable mate.

Costorphine.

Some scallywags took apples right off my tree in broad daylight! My man servant had to cancel strudel that evening.

Scumbags I tell you.

Southhouse has had its moments!   I remember (I think in the late 90's) within a space of a few weeks a guy got murdered in the flats opposite us (had to attend an official interview for that in the wee portakabin incident room set up outside - all the guys in our flat had to - wisnae me) then followed a few weeks later seeing the body bags being carried out the same flat of a couple of junkies who had OD'd. 

Cabin Hearts - mad.  I think my wee brother might have been custodian for sometime of the huge UJ Cabin Hearts flag.  My only trip on the Craigmillar Hearts bus to Celtic was, er, interesting;).  

Pretty much a mixed area re support wise I would say, Southhouse, Burdiehouse, Gracemount and Gilmerton.  Wouldn't say it was Hearts or Hibs.  Quite a few boys ran with the CCS I seem to remember.  

Talk-o-the-North

YBT :pray: Will always remember playing fives at the pitz at sighthill and having kids about 8 years old standing on the hill shouting 'Y-B. Y-B. Y-B-T'. Scenes.

Sighthill isn't rough though, not now anyway. It's a little mundane if anything. Not having it lumped in with Lochend :lol:

My memory of the YBT was early 80s when it kicked off at the shows at Saughton Park. Not sure who they were rammying with, other skinheads, probably Saughton or the Westfield Derry.That was the last appearance of the shows at the park.

Talk-o-the-North

YBT :pray: Will always remember playing fives at the pitz at sighthill and having kids about 8 years old standing on the hill shouting 'Y-B. Y-B. Y-B-T'. Scenes.

Sighthill isn't rough though, not now anyway. It's a little mundane if anything. Not having it lumped in with Lochend :lol:

My memory of the YBT was early 80s when it kicked off at the shows at Saughton Park. Not sure who they were rammying with, other skinheads, probably Saughton or the Westfield Derry.That was the last appearance of the shows at the park.

Is it stil rough down at Martello Court ? Terror Towers I seem to recall.

I have not ventured down that way since all my clothes got half inched years ago when I was playing football at Silverknowes.

Effin yobs !

Last time I passed Fidra Court a few years ago. it was like bloody Fort Knox.CCTV everywhere. Before that I went to a party near the top. Some we ned set fire to the mattresses  left lying at the bottom and the place filled with smoke. Bloody nightmare it was. 

Grew up in Granton. Lived in West Pilton for 5 years, never had any problems even when wearing my Hearts clobber.

Costorphine.

Some scallywags took apples right off my tree in broad daylight! My man servant had to cancel strudel that evening.

Scumbags I tell you.

YCD? :laugh:

How's Royston not been mentioned? Makes Baghdad look homely

Didn't the LRT recently say the were thinking of pulling services to pennywell road? That is a place I wouldn't even drive

I mentioned Royston on page 1 ;)

As a former delivery driver, I hated any street beginning with West Pilton ______ or Ferry Road ______.

The worst of the worst was Crewe road gardens though, I've had bottles/stones thrown at me there on more than one occasion.

Carl Fredrickson

In the late 1970s my older sister lived in one of the tower blocks at Muirhouse. It wasnt Martella Court but one of the smaller ones round it. 

She lived on the 10th floor and being from out of town (the sticks), I would be sent to stay with my sister at weekends or school holidays if I misbehaved. 

I hated it. The flat had damp and the walls were paper thin. I wasnt allowed out on the balcony (probably thought I was that depressed that I would jump)

Being 10 floors up I wasnt allowed to go out and play. I was young and could make friends easily but the place scared me. 

Once I was sitting looking out the window and watched a couple of guys through a FRIDGE from their balcony on Martello Court. I was traumatised by it, thinking that it wasnt safe to walk the streets without things being thrown from flats. 

My sisters then hubby was a hibbee and drank at the Gunner. My brother and I had to wait outside one Saturday afternoon as my sister and her hibby went in for a quick drink. Despite it being the middle of the day I was scared shitless watching the folk going in and out as I wasnt accustomed to seeing characters like that. 

I last drive near there a couple of years ago and despite a lit of development round about, it still looked like a concrete jungle.

Spent a lot of time in Oxgangs in the 70's/early 80's as my nan lived there.

Always recall the huge "BAR-OX" graffiti on a wall at the junction of Greenbank Crescent and Oxgangs Avenue. I had no idea what it meant. Baffled me for years. ?