Rough areas of Edinburgh

Rick James

Is there really such a thing anymore?

We all know the areas of the city which come with a reputation, but just how unjust do you feel these reputations are?

Sure, a lot of the older council blocks in a lot of areas look very undesirable, but everywhere in Edinburgh now is well connected via transport, has a lot of essential shops on its doorstep, and generally, there's nowhere I feel vulnerable or intimidated in across the entire city.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the general

• Carl Fredrickson

• Seymour M Hersh

• Jambo314

Agree with OP.

Although whenever I drive through Niddrie i always see something mental going on.

Last time it was a boy about 10 years old riding up and down the grass embankments on a 125cc scooter.

Is it stil rough down at Martello Court ? Terror Towers I seem to recall.

I have not ventured down that way since all my clothes got half inched years ago when I was playing football at Silverknowes.

Effin yobs !

Martello court has a concierge I'll have you know

Good and bad all over the city

I drove along Niddrie Mains Road for the first time in god knows. Anyway, so everything to the left of Niddrie Mains Road towards the railway line and Bingham has been flattened......looks weird with the church standing isolated. Is there any pubs around there? Where do people go for a pint?

I drove along Niddrie Mains Road for the first time in god knows. Anyway, so everything to the left of Niddrie Mains Road towards the railway line and Bingham has been flattened......looks weird with the church standing isolated. Is there any pubs around there? Where do people go for a pint?

Methadone. They only drink Methadone.

Agree with OP.

Although whenever I drive through Niddrie i always see something mental going on.

Last time it was a boy about 10 years old riding up and down the grass embankments on a 125cc scooter.

It's not a game of football at Jack Kane center if there isn't a load of kids ripping about the side of the pitch on scooters and dirt bikes. :lol: 

Adds a bit of character to a dismal Saturday/Sunday morning run around anyway, just pretend the roaring of bikes is the roaring of fans. 

Prince Buaben

Omans.... The only pub in the area.

2 coppers got beat up by a gang of yoofs outside the Portobello police station yesterday.

Pilton, Drylaw, Dumbiedykes, Piershill and Niddrie are hell holes.

Muirhouse is a shithouse ! Martello Court area is full of wee neds on bikes for quick getaways.

Pilton not much better, unfortunately Police Scotland has inadvertently raised the crime rate.

williejamiesonlesftfoot

What aboot the White Hoose?

Barbed wire inside I seem to recall....

Closed. Cant mind what it is now. Listed building too.

Prince Buaben

What aboot the White Hoose?

Barbed wire inside I seem to recall....

Now an community centre type place.

2 coppers got beat up by a gang of yoofs outside the Portobello police station yesterday.

Pilton, Drylaw, Dumbiedykes, Piershill and Niddrie are hell holes.

I agree, from my experience there are a few spots at gracemount and Gilmerton that arent very nice.

Anyone remember the Tollcross Rebels, Clerry Jungle, YBT, Pilton Derry and Niddrie Terror. Oh and Bar Ox ?

In fact was anyone on this forum in those gangs or others ?

Might just be a rumour but I think the senior dot counter was a founder member of the Clerry jungle ;)

YBT :pray: Will always remember playing fives at the pitz at sighthill and having kids about 8 years old standing on the hill shouting 'Y-B. Y-B. Y-B-T'. Scenes. 

Sighthill isn't rough though, not now anyway. It's a little mundane if anything. Not having it lumped in with Lochend :lol:

Fort Vallance

Anyone remember the Tollcross Rebels, Clerry Jungle, YBT, Pilton Derry and Niddrie Terror. Oh and Bar Ox ?

Can't believe you missed out the YMD. Although to be fair they were another level from the group you've mentioned.

I live in the Calders. I've had a decent amount of shit go down in and around my building but I can only think of two occasions where I've felt I was personally in a bit of a hairy situation.

I'd say the place is mental but that doesn't necessarily mean I think it's hard. 'Rough' is probably about right.

Edit: Lived here for nearly five years btw.

Edited by neave

I P Knightley

I was going to ask whether Oxgangs was still rough.

What about Wester Hailes? Surely that's still a shit-hole?

Muirhouse, Pilton, Sighthill and Lochend aren't particularly pleasant.

Lumping Sighthill in with Muirhouse and Pilton is just silly. Not sure why Sighthill gets mentioned in these conversations as it is absolutely fine. Surrounding areas are a bit dodgy, Calders, Wester Hailes, Dumbryden, Murrayburn etc, but Sighthill itself is harmless.

I was going to ask whether Oxgangs was still rough.

Not as bad now, lived there my whole 26 years and definite change when the took down the flats and replaced them with some nicer housing. Still some right bams about but not a shade on how it was when I was younger

Matthew Le Tissier

Spent 5 years in Clovenstone / Wester Hailes right by the bridge that links them. Never seen any trouble. Only time I've felt unsafe was when I was stupidly off my face at The Shell garage at Sighthill back when the tall flats were there

Agree with OP.

Happens on a daily basis, apart from that no complaints living there.

I didn't have any problems growing up in East Pilton, although I suppose that wasn't as bad as West Pilton. I always found Royston/Wardieburn to be a lot more rough. My Muirhouse highlight was seeing a man fight a dog outside the shopping centre.

Lived in Niddrie for a few years quite recently. Get the impression that porty, Musselburgh or Southside is generally the place to go for drinks if not town altogether.

Although there is still some crazy goings on in the area. Seen many bizarre sights in the community. Nothing bad really, just some crazy things being done by some rather colourful people.

Carl Fredrickson

I didn't have any problems growing up in East Pilton, although I suppose that wasn't as bad as West Pilton. I always found Royston/Wardieburn to be a lot more rough. My Muirhouse highlight was seeing a man fight a dog outside the shopping centre.

Was it a boxer?  :toilet:

I P Knightley

Not as bad now, lived there my whole 26 years and definite change when the took down the flats and replaced them with some nicer housing. Still some right bams about but not a shade on how it was when I was younger

I'm nearly double your age so my memory of Oxgangs was of a rough area; the highlight being the Bar-Ox.

Private Womble

I'm nearly double your age so my memory of Oxgangs was of a rough area; the highlight being the Bar-Ox.

I remember when I moved from Oxgangs to Saughton (1993ish) thinking Saughton was a lot rougher.

I lived in west pilton for 9 years I could write a book about it! Crazy place! But to be honest I had some of the nicest neighbours ever. It's ashame a small proportion of that area give it such a bad name

Edinburgh has it's "rough areas" but they're like Disneyland compared to inner city areas and certain towns in England.

Stayed some weekends in Gateshead a few years back (met a Geordie lass in Spain) and it was a real eye opener.

So was she.

Pfffft. Young Inch Cumbie ya bass.

Was going to say, I've never lived in Edinburgh but i remember going to Inch to play them and it was always very fiery, some right dirty bast@rds there, i think callum booth played for them aswell might have been some other team.

Remnants of Standards

From memory gracemount and southside were hibs so the Inch always tangled with them on a semi-regular basis.

I always ponder on how easier a cop's job is at a local level today, compared to then with the advent of computers and gadgets which keep hundreds of bored kids off the streets.