Immigration

Craigieboy

The events of today show you how utterly desperate people are to flee from oppression and persecution to come to a better life.

Utterly tragic that so many have suffered and died in an attempt to find a better life. If you have the constitution for it you should google some videos of Syrian persecution by ISIS. Absolutely disgusting what people are going through at the hands of these people.

Worth thinking about the next time you consider reacting to 'folk taking over our country.'

This is Europes problem and the sooner it is sorted so that the various countries can accommodate as many refugees as possible, the better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-34082304

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34083337

Jonny John Boy

Your solution ?

Plenty empty houses in

Wester Hailes

Broomhouse

Niddrie

We need to open our doors to these desperate people and do all that we can to assist them.

Plenty empty houses in

Wester Hailes

Broomhouse

Niddrie

We need to open our doors to these desperate people and do all that we can to assist them.

:spoton:

Plenty empty houses in

Wester Hailes

Broomhouse

Niddrie

**** me.

The situation is disastrous at the moment but will only get worse as the money runs out, the planet warms, the population rises and the water dries up. I don't even want to think about the state of humanity over the next fifty to one hundred years.

One of the most tragic things about the situation today though is that those who flee desperate circumstances in their own countries don't have much of a better future ahead of them when/if they arrive in the West. Fair enough, they may not be being threatened hourly with drowning, abduction, torture, rape and death, but often arrive in countries battling their own economic, social, political and ethnic turmoil.

The world can't seem to find a place for these people at the moment, and it's a tragic portrayal of the worst extremes of humanity. The world's ****ed man :(

Plenty empty houses in

Wester Hailes

Broomhouse

Niddrie

Along with re educating society in this country and in turn, those seeking asylum here, this is essentially what we need to do.

Money needs to be poured into this. Millions.

If we have truly advanced as a society then we need to confront this.

It's disgusting that people are suffering in this way, yet we have the means to help.

It's a staggering situation. It will only keep on going though because despot regimes like Assad's are going nowhere. ISIS is also here to stay, at least for quite a while. Failed, corrupt and war torn African states are also here to stay. The exodus of people from Africa and the middle east seems like a long term phenomenon, despite these people probably knowing by now how dangerous the journey is and that life in Europe is no promised land utopia.

Germany is taking an enormous number of people. Everyone else is tinkering around the margins. There's not much chance of an EU wide consensus on quotas as it's a white hot political hot potato and finances are tight everywhere.

No realistic propect of improvement and nothing feasible to be done to stop people coming.

What we're seeing here is one of the biggest humanitarian crisis' of my lifetime and our government are dealing with it in a shameful way. These people are fleeing for their lives, desperate for a fresh start somewhere safe. So our government builds giant steel walls and tells them to **** off. We should be helping them and spreading them around the country in groups and welcoming them into communities. Not turning them away!

Along with re educating society in this country and in turn, those seeking asylum here, this is essentially what we need to do.

Money needs to be poured into this. Millions.

If we have truly advanced as a society then we need to confront this.

It's disgusting that people are suffering in this way, yet we have the means to help.

I would prefer Britain sorted itself out before handout UK invited more into the country, Australia has the right idea when it comes to looking after their own interests first.

I would prefer Britain sorted itself out before handout UK invited more into the country, Australia has the right idea when it comes to looking after their own interests first.

Which is? Are you one of those people that believes those false quotes attributed to the Australian PM that racists put up on Facebook.

Could not agree more.

Only problem is our government is populated by right wing tossers who have based their entire parliament on keeping the fuzzy wuzzies south of Calais (or the swarm as call me Dave called them) and cutting help for the most vulnerable who are here.

Makes you proud to be British.

Yes, let's not just blame David though. That wee lassie Nicola's in a good place to make a difference but there's been no peep or invitation from her either.

You'd rather a 1st world country you just happen to live in improves its standard of living even further before helping people who are literally dying in their tens of thousands trying to escape war, persecution and poverty?

Yes. It's called common sense.

Why would you actively try to make the life of you and your family worse than it is today ?

Rudolf's Mate

It's tragic that these things are happening. You can't help but feel for the people that are putting their lives at risk simply to escape their homeland.

Of those people in Calais attempting to get into Britain. Why Britain? What's so good about Britain that people would put their lives at risk to get here.

Edit: I should add more than say France or other countries.

How many of those wanting to welcome all immigrants to this country have a family of 24 Somalis living next door ?

That's the Litmus test.

You'd rather a 1st world country you just happen to live in improves its standard of living even further before helping people who are literally dying in their tens of thousands trying to escape war, persecution and poverty?

I wonder if you'd maybe feel different if it was you and your family suffocating in a lorry or drowning in the sea.

So can you tell me why on earth after their bold struggle to escape war, persecution and poverty they aren't content with their first port of call once they arrive?, seems strange they would risk life and limb to get here after going through such a traumatic existence in their homeland, they see an easy life here and that's the bold facts, now I'm not saying batten down the hatches because of course there are refugees who are desperate but on the outside looking in it for me anyway it looks like it's the gravy train that a large percentage are looking to board through the channel tunnel.

Why would foreigners make my life worse?

What sort of example would you like ? And I don't mind 'foreigners' in general - just a never ending conveyor belt.

Common sense.

This is a UK issue. There's been no singular invitation from England, Wales or NI either so not sure why you are singling out one part of the UK?

I'll put it a different way. The motions and lack of compassion from Whitehall have been nothing short of disgusting. I don't know a lot about the Welsh assembly or Irish Parliament. I do know about Holyrood, and that Nicola has a strong political position and influence within the UK. But not a peep from her. She has a voice but she hasn't used it which is every bit as shameful when she's seeing the same things that we are.

Edit: I already singled out David

You've got no idea where the vast majority of immigrants to Europe end up do you?

Here's a clue. It isn't The UK but feel free to keep swallowing the nonsense you're fed by the British media and the Tories.

So you have knowledge other than what we see, read and hear then?, tell me a different version and i shall take your information on board and may even change my mind and welcome all overseas visitors with open arms or at least be more open minded when it comes to the situation over seas.

These people from Syria / Afghanistan / Pakistan / Africa, when they get to somewhere like Turkey / Greece, why don't they claim asylum there?  If they are that desperate, why do they  then work there way across multiple countries to get to the UK.

If things went tits up here, I'd claiming asylum in France/Belgium, not trying to get all the way to Turkey.

The Real Maroonblood

Plenty empty houses in

Wester Hailes

Broomhouse

Niddrie

There must be empty houses in the posher areas.

Rudolf's Mate

You've got no idea where the vast majority of immigrants to Europe end up do you?

Here's a clue. It isn't The UK but feel free to keep swallowing the nonsense you're fed by the British media and the Tories.

Where do they end up? I honestly haven't got a clue. I asked the question re those at Calais. 

One example please.

You don't mind foreigners but seem to have a problem with Somalians for some reason and according to you they live in households of 24, which I assume you didn't mean as a compliment.

Firing machine guns on the streets of Edinburgh (Willowbrae).

Firing machine guns on the streets of Edinburgh (Willowbrae).

I've got a couple of Somali families on my street. Luckily none of us have been shot by them yet.

One example please.

You don't mind foreigners but seem to have a problem with Somalians for some reason and according to you they live in households of 24, which I assume you didn't mean as a compliment.

People that come from a culture where - and this isn't just Somalians - its acceptable to kill a person because they are gay, stone a woman to death because she has been raped - and the rest of it.

You are OK for these people to live next to you ? (And I appreciate not all are like this but its not exactly a tiny minority is it ?)

I've got a couple of Somali families on my street. Luckily none of us have been shot by them yet.

Sorry Tazio, I must have imagined it, or maybe it was Fifers or Weegies that did it.

It's all looking post-apocalyptic at the moment and is distressing to see.

But we are a small-ish country and there will be a tipping point.

We need to help (we, being the World) and this can only be done by trying to reach a resolution at source.

I really don't know but I know this situation is unsustainable and the lack of initiative in trying to resolve it is damning.

Sorry Tazio, I must have imagined it, or maybe it was Fifers or Weegies that did it.

You are perfectly correct that there was a drug related shooting in Willowbrae. Was it the only such incident in Scotland that year? And apart from that one incident how many can you recall that involved Somalis without recourse to google?

Rudolf's Mate

They're arriving in their tens of thousands into mainland Europe, Greece, Italy etc. and pouring into Turkey etc. etc.

We search every truck coming into the UK to try to make sure not one illegal immigrant gets in.

There needs to be proper discussion on this rather than the Tories running scared that everyone's going to vote ukip

I'm not disputing that but even those in Greece being interviewed are saying they want to come to the UK. I've not see any saying France, Italy etc. Ok it might be the media editing to sensationalise things but are there any real figures where these people end up or rather aim to reach rather than the country they first, second or third land in?

For all those proclaiming we should show our compassion - just put up a pic of the latest asylum seeker families you have welcomed into your own house.

Just fire away. Show us all your wonderful acceptance.

Prove everyone wrong.

Geoff Kilpatrick

They're arriving in their tens of thousands into mainland Europe, Greece, Italy etc. and pouring into Turkey etc. etc.

We search every truck coming into the UK to try to make sure not one illegal immigrant gets in.

There needs to be proper discussion on this rather than the Tories running scared that everyone's going to vote ukip

Hold on! So they shouldn't search trucks? You can argue that the policy is wrong but I think you should know who is trying to cross your border!

Great post. We're all saying we need to share houses.

Finger on the pulse.

Sharing houses is already happening - have you not realised that yet ?

These people from Syria / Afghanistan / Pakistan / Africa, when they get to somewhere like Turkey / Greece, why don't they claim asylum there? If they are that desperate, why do they then work there way across multiple countries to get to the UK.

If things went tits up here, I'd claiming asylum in France/Belgium, not trying to get all the way to Turkey.

It's rather simple mate. 3 main reason.

1. They already speak English, speaking the native language would make integration easier and also make them employable.

2. Family. Simple, they already have family members here.

3. Our economy is a lot stronger than a lot of other European nations.

For all those proclaiming we should show our compassion - just put up a pic of the latest asylum seeker families you have welcomed into your own house.

Just fire away. Show us all your wonderful acceptance.

Prove everyone wrong.

cW2p8TV.jpg

So you have knowledge other than what we see, read and hear then?, tell me a different version and i shall take your information on board and may even change my mind and welcome all overseas visitors with open arms or at least be more open minded when it comes to the situation over seas.

Germany will welcome 800,000 people

Us so far 9500 may rise to 30,000 by the end of the year.

Our excuse for not accepting people, we have too many from the EU here.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Where did I say that?

The point was there's tens of thousands arriving in mainland Europe and tens arriving in the UK.

Each European country is not sharing the burden equally because it's easier to get to some places e.g Italy's coastline is huge' the Chunnel is 20 feet wide or whatever.

And the point being made in return is that the "frontier" countries are quite happy to let them pass through, as opposed to dealing with the issue at source.

Geoff Kilpatrick

No doubt they'd rather they moved on but where does it end.

More importantly where does it start. Is it a blip or is this now the norm.

I just get the impression the world has fundamentally changed with Isis etc.

I could of course be totally wrong and maybe it's just the same old shite that's been going on for millennia.

I'm a bit of an old hippy at heart and just wish we could all get along.

I'm also cynical enough to know that's unlikely so I'm quite happy being away from all the nonsense living away up here.

I actually think there are two things going on. Population displacement from Libya and the ISIS nutjobs alongside human trafficking. The latter has always been going on but is using the cover of the former to ratchet up their activities. Meanwhile, the people who have seen the latter for years now see the people who have been displaced coming in in similar fashion and don't perceive any difference.

I don't see why Europe and more specifically Britain should take the burden..

Surely if you are fleeing from your country, you would be happy to make home in the nearest available country.. There must be a reason that they travel through many countries and are willing to die trying to get into Britain.. That reason would be the easier life they are afforded once they arrive..

I live in Thailand and Thai Immigration doesn't make it easier for foreigners wanting to stay here unless they have plenty of cash to spend each year or a job that will provide them with cash to spend each year.. Even then it is looked at on a yearly basis for each foreigner..

People are too quick to put the blame on Europe and look for the solution from them.. Are these immigrants looking to escape from their own country or are they just looking to upgrade their lives by getting into the British nanny state culture.. I think it's the second..

Geoff Kilpatrick

Whatever's going on Geoff there's no doubt that it's the 1% in charge that exploit and F up everything for the rest of us.

Nothing new there of course, despite a few spectacular revolutions.

Sigh.

The "1%" chat is bloody hackneyed. If I was in the "1%" the last thing I would want is population displacement.

It's rather simple mate. 3 main reason.

1. They already speak English, speaking the native language would make integration easier and also make them employable.

2. Family. Simple, they already have family members here.

3. Our economy is a lot stronger than a lot of other European nations.

I'd add a fourth/fifth to that - we don't have an ID card system here and we also have a decent number of job opportunities for 'black market' labour. Exploitation of unskilled workers means there's a good chance of cash in hand work.

Whenever this comes up people always seem to ask why the UK is so attractive, ignore the responses such as the one above and continue with the whole "they're just here cos they think they'll get better benefits" line of discussion. I don't know why they bother asking the question in the first place half the time.

michael_bolton

It's incredible how many people swallow the British media's line about all of these people being desperate to come to Britain. It is not backed up by any of the evidence at all - quite the opposite - yet people believe it.

And some question the power of the media...

It's incredible how many people swallow the British media's line about all of these people being desperate to come to Britain. It is not backed up by any of the evidence at all - quite the opposite - yet people believe it.

Who do you mean by "these people"?

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think the differential is that the new arrivals aim for SE England as a destination. M25 stories always get more media attention.

Geoff Kilpatrick

76ae5da3c1f10085cc833791f0da3e16.jpg

An interesting chart. British people beating themselves up over migrants and yet Italy hardly accepts any. Italy aren't exactly "sending them back" are they?

michael_bolton

Who do you mean by "these people"?

By 'these people' I quite clearly mean the people in question. It's the standard use for plural nouns when referring to an issue at hand. I'm an English teacher, use of language is my business.

These books, these days, these apples, these people.

What are you implying I meant?

I think the differential is that the new arrivals aim for SE England as a destination. M25 stories always get more media attention.

You've surpassed yourself on this one Geoff. The M25 story is that between 1993 and 2013 the number of foreign born citizens in the UK increased from just over 2million to 5 million. The vast majority of them stayed in London and the South East.

The number of foreign born people in the UK workforce increased from 2.3 million to 6 million in the same period. The vast majority of them stayed in London and the South East. That's a phenomenal change in demographics anywhere in the world.

An example of what that means on the ground might help. When my oldest daughter went to her local school in London 2000, 25% of the kids were white British and 25% Muslim. When my youngest daughter left the school in 2010 she was the only white British child in the school and 96% of the kids were Muslim. I've long accepted a multi cultural London, but this isn't multi culturalism.

There is a massive humanitarian crisis in the Middle East and Africa, some of which was caused by the military action that the UK govt. got involved in over the last couple of decades, and some that was caused by attempted revolutions that the UK govt. supported. It is the UK's moral responsibility to take in a significant number of the people displaced by this unrest. For me if Germany is taking 800,00 then the UK should take 500,000. These people should not be dumped in the M25 corridor and left to get on with it, but should be given housing, support and opportunities (if they exist) across the UK. This is what human beings do for each other when there is a crisis of this magnitude and to do anything would be pure barbarism.

Archived