Seagulls

1874robbo

3 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Why are they protected?  It's like protecting ants or something.  

Nationally the Herring and Lesser Black Backed gulls are in decline, you can get a license to cull, prick or dip eggs and disturb them when incubating eggs.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OBE

• DETTY29

• Smoked-Glass

• Tommy Brown

Smoked-Glass
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Nationally the Herring and Lesser Black Backed gulls are in decline, you can get a license to cull, prick or dip eggs and disturb them when incubating eggs.

Machine gun ?

Just now, Smoked-Glass said:

Machine gun ?

I keep getting refused by the police licensing department whenever I apply for one unfortunately. 

On 16/07/2021 at 19:37, scottishguy said:

We have magpies in our garden everyday, as well as another 25 species. They have no effect on the other small birds.

I do spend a few £££s on bird feed every year, they seem content to share.

They do effect nesting birds.

All roads lead to Gorgie

My car roof looks like a Jackson Pollock painting this morning. Seething!

Jambo_jim2001
On 01/07/2022 at 05:49, Tommy Brown said:

Driving to work yesterday and two were pecking away at a dead rabbit on the road.

As I got nearer (10 yards), one flew, the other didn't.

More bothered about car damage  I swerved to avoid it. It seen me, I was seething. 

I'm more concerned cleaning the mess up when I pop them😮😁

• 3 weeks later...

It's that time of year again. They nest on the flat bit of roof above my dormer windows and the young ones are out of the nest and walking about my garden. The parents go absolutely mental when anybody walks up or down my path and I've been dive bombed and shit on twice this week already. It seems particularly bad this year and I've no idea why. Even stepping over the fence into next door's garden and using her path isn't working this year like it usually does.

Does anybody have any advice on how to stop them nesting there in the first place?

1 hour ago, 1953 said:

It's that time of year again. They nest on the flat bit of roof above my dormer windows and the young ones are out of the nest and walking about my garden. The parents go absolutely mental when anybody walks up or down my path and I've been dive bombed and shit on twice this week already. It seems particularly bad this year and I've no idea why. Even stepping over the fence into next door's garden and using her path isn't working this year like it usually does.

Does anybody have any advice on how to stop them nesting there in the first place?

Feed them poison 

indianajones
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

😂😂😂 best thing I’ve seen in a while. Battered to ****. 

One of my favourite videos. 

Complete violence for no other reason other than the seagull being a **** and the monkey having enough.

We aren't too far apart really. 

4 hours ago, 1953 said:

Years ago this happened to me. I actually started feeding the young one scraps of food and the parent eventually were ok with it and me being out in the garden.

Edited by Pap

10 hours ago, Pap said:

Years ago this happened to me. I actually started feeding the young one scraps of food and the parent eventually were ok with it and me being out in the garden.

Interesting point.

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Law of the jungle. Just go up and take a dump in their nest.

Something I hadn't thought of, cheers! It'll give the paramedics a laugh when they pick me up after falling off the roof with my trousers at my ankles.🤣

Dick Dastardly

I live near a secondary school so with the combination of nesting season and lack of chips and wraps lying around, the summer holidays are getting really bad for seagull attacks here. 

17 hours ago, 1953 said:

Gotta stop the cycle, that's their patch on your dormers now. Can you not make the flat bit as unfriendly as possible for the Gulls? Spikes, fine twine netting, red polly bag (they ***kin hate red). Two of my neighbours were roasted with 2 pairs nesting in the gap between the chimney breast and the roof ridge. I bought a red laser pointer pen, oh how they freak out at dusk. It's a war of attrition at first, but they soon get the message. Both neighbours now own pointer pens...

Edited by OBE

15 hours ago, Irufushi said:

😂😂😂 best thing I’ve seen in a while. Battered to ****. 

Same here, probably shouldn't have, but my laughter was uncontrollable...

18 hours ago, indianajones said:

:jjyay:

Jeezo. :lol: Love monkeys, hate seagulls, but still quite harrowing to watch. Love how none of its pals even try to help it out.

Generally curious, where do seagulls fit in our ecosystem? I mean I'm sure they contribute in some sense if they follow their actual diet, but they just seem more of a pest to human life.

John Gentleman
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Jeezo. :lol: Love monkeys, hate seagulls, but still quite harrowing to watch. Love how none of its pals even try to help it out.

Generally curious, where do seagulls fit in our ecosystem? I mean I'm sure they contribute in some sense if they follow their actual diet, but they just seem more of a pest to human life.

Nature doesn't do waste. Gulls are filling a human-created niche, given our propensity to throw crap away. When we try to restrict that crap, they get aggressive. It's pure Darwinian.

In 1960, when I was 7 years of age, the UK's population was ~52 million. It's now just under 70 million. That's an awful lot of extra crap.........not that we had much crap to throw away in 1960. 
We overfill wheelie bins at our peril. As a species, we really are our own worst enemies.

Konrad von Carstein
6 hours ago, OBE said:

Gotta stop the cycle, that's their patch on your dormers now. Can you not make the flat bit as unfriendly as possible for the Gulls? Spikes, fine twine netting, red polly bag (they ***kin hate red). Two of my neighbours were roasted with 2 pairs nesting in the gap between the chimney breast and the roof ridge. I bought a red laser pointer pen, oh how they freak out at dusk. It's a war of attrition at first, but they soon get the message. Both neighbours now own pointer pens...

A few years back, seagulls had nested in the building opposite the back door of our stair. Can't mind why but I had to go into the garden and was wearing a red top. You'll appreciate that they went furking mental! Sadly for me I had forgotten to snib the stair door.

Mrs KvC and my daughter were howling as the *******s chased me up and down the garden.

Wasn't impressed when they finally let me in.  Can laugh now though :lol:

Fire_At_The_Disco
On 21/07/2022 at 16:58, 1953 said:

Ladder, Tennis bat & crash helmet and get tore in

7 hours ago, Locky said:

They’ll just be waiting to pick up the scraps the monkey leaves.  ****s.

Doctor FinnBarr
13 hours ago, Locky said:

Rest of its "pals" look and sound like crows.