Seagulls

1874robbo

We always counted cranes across the Edinburgh skyline from row 26, when the football was bad. Our record was 13. Much more interesting than the seagulls.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OBE

• DETTY29

• Smoked-Glass

• Tommy Brown

If you want a sense of how bad the seagull situation was at Tynecastle yesterday, I would suggest you take a look at the Martinez interview on the Everton FC website.

Just watched it, thats mental!!

Tokyo Drifter

Do you think our seagulls have that predator instinct Scotland On Sunday say our forward line is lacking?

1874_and_proud

Seagulls are nasty pieces of work. Just bk fm Berwick where I saw 3 of them rip a live pigeon to pieces, they screeched all through night too. Have seen a pack of them kill and eat every one of ten mallard ducklings while the parents were separated.

Evil b***********

One evolutionary step away from a velociraptor!

heartmussel

I captured one about 3 years ago and I am in the process of learning it to talk,i keep it in a cage next to my pet pigeon.They can be quite friendly if shown a lot of love. Hopefully next year off to Blackpool on a family holiday with a couple of my birds. Ive heard pigeons like Blackpool cos a doo likes to be beside the seaside.This my psychiatrist told me would be ideal for the seagull to.

I thought my trouser story would be the most wacky story on this thread.......wrong again.

what was your story ? I cant find the

Martinez interview.

In the bird / animal / insect world behaviour can be "copied".

Its like they pick up the signals.

Aberdeen birds kick off; Edinburgh ones gradually pick up the same behaviour...maybe.

All roads lead to Gorgie

In the bird / animal / insect world behaviour can be "copied".

Its like they pick up the signals.

Aberdeen birds kick off; Edinburgh ones gradually pick up the same behaviour...maybe.

Casual seagulls ?

Gathering on roof of Gorgie stand.

They got bored and flew away. Don't blame them.

• 5 years later...

These little ##### are going mental right now, making an absolute racket around the Robertson Avenue/Slateford area. 

Thankfully I'm off work tomorrow or I'd be raging about being woken up.

Savage Vince
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

These little ##### are going mental right now, making an absolute racket around the Robertson Avenue/Slateford area. 

I once gave up on a bag of chips in Oban after three digs into the poke. It was absolute carnage all around me. I'd have loved to have watched someone else go through what I did. 😄

I thought they hung around the sea.  Gorgie's miles from the sea.  We are near the sea and sometimes get hundreds of them but haven't seen any for weeks.

Maybe we should put a sign up pointing them to leith.

2 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

I once gave up on a bag of chips in Oban after three digs into the poke. It was absolute carnage all around me. I'd have loved to have watched someone else go through what I did. 😄

I've a mate in Ratho and regularly go to their open day.

One year they had a falconry event.

Most of the breeds let out hid in trees as the seagulls turned up to keep them in check as to who rules the skies.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

I've a mate in Ratho and regularly go to their open day.

One year they had a falconry event.

Most of the breeds let out hid in trees as the seagulls turned up to keep them in check as to who rules the skies.

Shite bags😡

funnily, that term could cover the raptors and the gulls🙃

7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Loads of communal bins with no lids attracting them.

Was amusing sensing the disappointment in the gulls when they realised during the second half on Tuesday that hospitality was closed and there would be no mess and crumbs over the stands. 

14 minutes ago, kila said:

Loads of communal bins with no lids attracting them.

Was amusing sensing the disappointment in the gulls when they realised during the second half on Tuesday that hospitality was closed and there would be no mess and crumbs over the stands. 

I don't know what despairs me most when our road (fairly affluent) is littered with food wastage every Friday morning through to early part of next week.

Residents who can't be bothered closing the lids on the food recycling bins properly, who then don't tidy up if accessed and just wait for the gulls to their cleaning up for them therefore encouraging the gulls even more; the gulls or foxes; or the council for not providing better facilities.

I think we can safely take the majority of the blame away from the animals and put the focus on humans who have a choice with their behaviour.

7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I don't know what despairs me most when our road (fairly affluent) is littered with food wastage every Friday morning through to early part of next week.

Residents who can't be bothered closing the lids on the food recycling bins properly, who then don't tidy up if accessed and just wait for the gulls to their cleaning up for them therefore encouraging the gulls even more; the gulls or foxes; or the council for not providing better facilities.

I think we can safely take the majority of the blame away from the animals and put the focus on humans who have a choice with their behaviour.

A few big communal bins around me have no lid on them and attract the gulls who leave the place a mess. Sure the humans could just not use that bin (difficult with the bin collections being so infrequent now), but the council have been notified a few times and seem incapable of replacing it.

Council could do better, and of course so could the residents. 

4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Last year there were the usual 5 pairs of gulls nesting on the flat roofs opposite us with the resulting noise from them and their many offspring and shit pollution.

However this year not one breeding pair.

I am putting this down to the fact that we were in lockdown last year and the gulls were having difficulty finding any good food sources as all the usual takeaway food littering the streets was not there for the taking.

After having to work really hard last year to feed their offspring they arrived as usual but seem to have collectively gone elsewhere as we were still in a lockdown situation and there were no easy pickings.

So if you want rid of the gulls do not litter the streets with left over food

SectionDJambo
7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Correct 

Back in the days of people having more responsibility as to how they disposed of litter and discarded their food waste, seagulls used to only venture inland when we had stormy weather. The seagulls, and other wildlife, are attracted into urban areas by food lying around and open bins with food waste in them. Seagulls are nesting inland now, so it looks like they're here to stay, unless we cut off their food supply.

One of my neighbours recently had their small children feeding them bread by hand. It was unbelievable watching those big birds swooping down to take the bread with the parents unconcerned about their kids' fingers.

Their chicks have all hatched now and they're all going mental guarding them and fighting over whatever food sources are available to feed the wee rats with wings. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Correct 

Back in the days of people having more responsibility as to how they disposed of litter and discarded their food waste, seagulls used to only venture inland when we had stormy weather. The seagulls, and other wildlife, are attracted into urban areas by food lying around and open bins with food waste in them. Seagulls are nesting inland now, so it looks like they're here to stay, unless we cut off their food supply.

One of my neighbours recently had their small children feeding them bread by hand. It was unbelievable watching those big birds swooping down to take the bread with the parents unconcerned about their kids' fingers.

Exactly right.     Similar story with magpies - Scotland had none 50 years ago, they seemed to just be a feature of the London area.   Now they're in pretty much  every town  up here, thanks to folk chucking away leftover takeaways.   I saw a young one this morning begging for food from its mother - the young one was almost as big as the parent !    Despite the plentiful human food supply, they still predate on the eggs & young of garden birds which is a significant factor in the decline of song birds in many areas.         Yet again though, its basically "us" to blame for it.

2 hours ago, kila said:

A few big communal bins around me have no lid on them and attract the gulls who leave the place a mess. Sure the humans could just not use that bin (difficult with the bin collections being so infrequent now), but the council have been notified a few times and seem incapable of replacing it.

Council could do better, and of course so could the residents. 

Agree too.

Horrible creatures that contribute nothing positive to life

Why do they screech so much? Is a mating call?, hunger? Chatting with their seagull pals?

Hectormasson
10 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Send in the killer falcons , that'll sort the wee b.........s out!🦅🦅🦅👌

Tommy Brown

Ex neighbours wife was forever throwing bread out for birds. All it did was attract gulls, horrible *******s.

No need to throw bread out.

Garden birds are non-existent for me, put seed out, pigeons and magpies was all i attracted, more horrible *******s.

I remember about 5 or 6 year's ago there was a baby gull sitting at the side of the pitch,near the goals watching the game,it then flew over to the Wheatfield side & i saw Jamie walker giving it the evils. 😆

Smoked-Glass

Can't believe they are a protected species ffs. 

We should be wringing their necks left right and centre.  

colinmaroon

Ling on the river Leven as it runs into the Clyde, it's not worth having the car washed. 

They're a nightmare.

Edited by colinmaroon

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Bet the little shit didn't even pay to get in.

Bit harsh on a first team player.

3 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Can't believe they are a protected species ffs. 

We should be wringing their necks left right and centre.  

A policy I would heartily endorse.

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Ling on the river Leven as it runs into the Clyde, it's not worth having the car washed. 

They're a nightmare.

Same in Llandudno. I eventually worked out their flight route and moved my parking spot 20 yards - problem solved.

They used to nest on the roof next to my office and they eat anything. Pigeons and starlings are a favourite and, of course, they prey on tourists and hover above their prey before swooping to pounce on their ice creams!  

Horrible creatures.  

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Ex neighbours wife was forever throwing bread out for birds. All it did was attract gulls, horrible *******s.

No need to throw bread out.

Garden birds are non-existent for me, put seed out, pigeons and magpies was all i attracted, more horrible *******s.

Why are magpies horrible *******s?

Tommy Brown
32 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Why are magpies horrible *******s?

They prey on small garden birds.

Hence, I have no sparrows, tits, finches, blackies and starlings at all.

All regular visitors in the 20 years ive lived here.

TyphoonJambo
3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hence why gamekeepers or  any licensed shooter,kill them on site. Jay's are much the same.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Nature would adapt from a removal of pigeons, magpies and gulls. Or, at least, remove the protected status so people could shoot the ***** !

18 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Never knew that. I guess I thought they just ate worms an stuff. 

baron of ness

Seagulls can't  fart .what you do is get sulphur and put into some bread and feed them after about a minute they will explode into a burst of feathers .😎

51 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Is it illegal to put bread out for them  covered in curry sauce?

I once gave them hot doritos but the greedy fecks ate them anyway