Stevie May signs for Preston North End (title updated)

Never Let Them Forget

Never Let Them Forget

Tomorrows papers claim we are interested in him. Would that be the reason we let Carrick leave?

jamboinglasgow

Would be a great signing (though I would imagine on loan only.) I see the back page of the Sun (where I presume you go it from) is saying that us, Aberdeen and St Johnstone have all enquired about him, and Dundee United are after him.

Contracted till 2018. Would need to be a loan deal if anything. Unlikely but a game changer if we could get him

Never Let Them Forget

Would be a great signing (though I would imagine on loan only.) I see the back page of the Sun (where I presume you go it from) is saying that us, Aberdeen and St Johnstone have all enquired about him, and Dundee United are after him.

Yes seen it on the sun Twitter. Surely it would be loan with option to buy? Would be a great signing and still young enough to improve too.

tartofmidlothian

Only been down there a season, pretty pish if he's already being dumped back in Scotland.

Don't care though, I'd definitely take him.

Dundee Celtic....eh I mean United must have some money to spend. Would imagine 500k would be enough to take him north again so unless it's a loan deal we have no chance

I'm assuming he means John.

Yes. I withdrew the question.........lol. Forgot about him. Big development fee due for him is there not ?

Not claiming to be ITK but I heard over a month ago we were looking at taking May on loan.

Source - family of a board member.

Forget who you support, but if your a player and you have a choice of HMFC, UTD, or St J, where would you want to ply your trade?

Not claiming to be ITK but I heard over a month ago we were looking at taking May on loan.

That sounds a bit like what ITK means. No ?

Forget who you support, but if your a player and you have a choice of HMFC, UTD, or St J, where would you want to ply your trade?

Whoever pays me the most money

Quite common knowledge was it not?

Wants a move back up here apparently and has been linked with Hearts, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Dundee United and Rangers, I'd be surprised if we got him tbh.

tartofmidlothian

Hearts. But Aberdeen are the strongest competition out of the ones mentioned.

The Internet

Can kind of see this happening. I think he'll definitely be on loan somewhere up here next season, if we offer him regular starts then it wouldn't surprise me if he seen us as the best option.

Unknown user

Hearts. But Aberdeen are the strongest competition out of the ones mentioned.

Possibly, but United have been receiving a few transfer fees recently, they'll have more to spend than aberdeen just now imo

Possibly, but United have been receiving a few transfer fees recently, they'll have more to spend than aberdeen just now imo

Their fees are paying off debt by all accounts. I can't see them spending money on Stevie May. Sheffield Wednesday will want serious money for this guy. Probably in the ?800k ballpark. Or they will want a loan fee for the season. ?100 k or something maybe ?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Whoever pays me the most money

That could be Newco by hook or by crook unfortunately. Think if he has any sense we are the only true option but the Dons and UTD will be in sniffing if there is a chance.

That could be Newco by hook or by crook unfortunately. Think if he has any sense we are the only true option but the Dons and UTD will be in sniffing if there is a chance.

We won't be Stevie May's only true option if he is getting a move. I doubt very much we'll be his best option either, either cash wise or career wise. Staying where he is, is probably his best option for both. If he is available The Arse cheeks will be in for him. Just can't see any way for this to come off for us and it's probably a load of crap anyway.

Unknown user

Their fees are paying off debt by all accounts. I can't see them spending money on Stevie May. Sheffield Wednesday will want serious money for this guy. Probably in the ?800k ballpark. Or they will want a loan fee for the season. ?100 k or something maybe ?

Maybe you've seen something different from me, but as I understand it, although they have no bank debt to pay off, a percentage of transfer fees leave the club to the people who paid the debt.

It's a percentage though, they've still got income from transfers to play with- again, as I understand it

All roads lead to Gorgie

We won't be Stevie May's only option if he is getting a move. I doubt very much we'll be his best option either, either cash wise or career wise. Staying where he is, is probably his best option for both.

He might want to remain down south with a loan deal to another English club maybe as a return north might look like he has failed to an extent. On the other hand if he wants to get a Scotland place then a deal back here might appeal. We will wait and see.

Exactly, prestige and history doesn't pay the tent

I would be surprised if this were true but the question of whether we can afford him may not matter as much as we think.

If it were a loan deal,May would probably be on the same total wage but HMFC would pay an agreed part of it with Wednesday paying the rest.

Maybe you've seen something different from me, but as I understand it, although they have no bank debt to pay off, a percentage of transfer fees leave the club to the people who paid the debt.

It's a percentage though, they've still got income from transfers to play with- again, as I understand it

During the McNamara row they realised a statement saying they had a debt reduction plan and had reduced the debt from ?5.6 million in late 2013 down to an expected ?1.4 million by the end of this year. That was not counting what they get for Cifti as that's in instalments and add ons etc etc. Allocating the Cifti money to debt would just about leave them debt free. Rumour has it Thomson wants out and wants to leave them debt free to be sellable.

I imagine they will certainly have a bit of spare money, either in the bank or about to be.It's what they chose to spend it on that's in doubt.

I would be surprised if this were true but the question of whether we can afford him may not matter as much as we think.

If it were a loan deal,May would probably be on the same total wage but HMFC would pay an agreed part of it with Wednesday paying the rest.

It will more likely be a flat rate loan fee. i.e. a lump sum charge for loaning him for the season. let's say for argument it's ?150k. He still gets his basic from Sheffield Wed. We negotiate bonuses with him and pay those direct to him. Commonplace in England these days and I think we paid Groningen a lump sum for Zeefuik's services earlier in the year.

It will more likely be a flat rate loan fee. i.e. a lump sum charge for loaning him for the season. let's say for argument it's ?150k. He still gets his basic from Sheffield Wed. We negotiate bonuses with him and pay those direct to him. Commonplace in England these days and I think we paid Groningen a lump sum for Zeefuik's services earlier in the year.

You could be right - either way a deal could be affordable so it's not outwith the realms of possibility that it could happen.

You could be right - either way a deal could be affordable so it's not outwith the realms of possibility that it could happen.

Not at all impossible. If we've kept it under the radar and more or less done the deal. If we are in sort of bidding war for his services he's pretty good and we'll most likely lose.

FarmerTweedy

May might actually prefer St J out of those three, simply because he played there before and might feel that going back would be a comfort blanket of sorts.  Also, at this point in time, some players might look at the fact we've only just been promoted as indicating that we're some way off competing towards the top end - some posters on here think we'll be doing well to make the top 6, so it would be understandable if some others think we might be closer to a relegation battle!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Er, why would this be a good move?

We already have enough attacking options. We need to strengthen at the back first.

We already have enough attacking options. We need to strengthen at the back first.

Because he would bang goals in left, right and centre.

Have you not learned anything about football after 41k odd posts?

This. Waste of money.

FarmerTweedy

Sow has a history of being injury-prone, Juanma and Reilly are unproven in terms of how they might fit in to our style of play, and indeed the Scottish Premiership in general (FWIW, I think they'll both do well for us), and Oliver didn't look, to me at least, as if he was close to ready for the first team last season. I know we have other attacking players such as Walker and El Hass, but I think a striker of May's quality would be a very good addition if we were after him and could get him.

As for strengthening at the back, we have things in motion regarding that, and while it remains to be seen if any deals will be completed, it's surely not beyond the capability of the club's management to be able to work on more than a couple of deals at the same time?

fabienleclerq

I agree, we have no reason or need to sign proven spfl strikers...

Because he would bang goals in left, right and centre.

Have you not learned anything about football after 41k odd posts?

He's above question. A resident expert on everything.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I agree, we have no reason or need to sign proven spfl strikers...

How's David Goodwillie done since coming back from England?

Geoff Kilpatrick

That's an interesting argument...

The point being that the player's career has moved on. I've no idea how May has performed in England since I can't be arsed looking it up but it is fair to say that if Wednesday are prepared to let him move then he hasn't exactly been a hit at Hillsborough.

In addition, we have a limited squad size and rightly so. Let's assume we sign the Nigerian left-back and we can get one more body in for argument's sake. Do we carry a 5th striking option or a utility defender as cover? I'd take the latter.

Geoff Kilpatrick

We looking to sign David goodwillie?

What about all those players who done well since returning from

England or elsewhere?

He's done well in spl and the whilst there are no guarantees in football, in relative terms he's a proven commodity.

I really don't get why you don't think this would be a good signing. Though o don't think it will happen.

See above.

Geoff Kilpatrick

So you by your own admission you don't know how he's done. But your prepared say no based on not knowing how he's done? Or did I pick you up wrong?

The thumb and stokes were surplus to requirements down and as much as pains me both did pretty well on returns.

On the squad, I get where your coming from. However, I would hope CL/RN are aware of squad issues and balance.

If he did come in, I think would be movement in squad out the way.

If the management team go down that route then I would understand it in terms of his past reputation. What I'm pointing out, however, is that he doesn't seem to have progressed since moving. As you point out, there are counter-examples and I accept that. Maybe it is the John Sutton experience that makes me wary of a big goalscorer at a smaller club.

Archived